Fort Worth Zoo's MOLA up for USA Today's best zoo exhibit

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:24 AM

Voting is open. Be sure to vote! Dallas is coming in ahead at number 3 currently and we just can't let that happen.

http://www.10best.co...fort-worth-zoo/

#2 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:26 PM

How can one gripe about the news of a newborn giraffe?

As the idiom "bites ones tongue" goes, I did just that not wanting to say something knowing it’s not a good idea and could be seen as "sour grapes", so I stop myself from saying something about the newborn giraffe of the Dallas Zoo.  Stopped even when the Dallas leaning media broadcasted wall to wall about its zoo's new baby giraffe.  Stopped when it when global on the Animal Planet TV.

It has not gone unnoticed the amount of love that the Dallas Zoo is getting nowadays; so much so that it seems to be a campaign who purpose is to overshadow THE ZOO, better known as the Fort Worth Zoo.

Well good news.  In May, The Zoo announced the birth of new born lion cubs, way too cute for words; and just to slam dunk that adorable news, today, The Zoo announced the recent births of two giraffes,that is also way too cool for words. Way to go Zoo.

http://www.wfaa.com/...h-zoo/27650477/

http://www.nbcdfw.co...-306165041.html

:) Fort Worth over everyone.

#3 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:51 PM

Fort Worth Business Press - https://fortworthbus...orlds-greatest/

#4 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:41 PM

Fort Worth Business Press - https://fortworthbus...orlds-greatest/

I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer here, but I see a lot of self-promotion around the FW Zoo on billboards and ads about it being the Number One zoo or top zoo, best zoo, greatest zoo etc. How much of this is actually true vs really clever marketing? Is there some solid data available backing this up or doing a Consumer Reports style comparison? I have yet to experience the zoo for myself but I question the motivation here a little knowing a bit about how industry rankings work behind the scenes. I have never had anyone come up to me and offer their unsolicited feedback and say **you have got to go to the zoo, it is the best zoo experience I have ever had.** In fact I think the advertising had the opposite effect on me subliminally where I would take a mediocre and peaceful zoo with less crowds over the best zoo in the world and not deal with hoards of people....I guess I am uptight like that.

In St. Paul, the Como Zoo is free and it takes about two hours to experience, parking is easy and crowds are moderate. It is city-owned and has an old-school vibe nearby a lake and park with a conservatory. The conservatory speaks for itself too, it feels like Heaven on Earth. Just walk in and enjoy yourself....no hype needed.

https://comozooconse...itor-map-hours/

#5 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:06 PM

I am going to disagree with negative characterization of self-promotion since every institution self promotes; and yes that includes hospitals, churches, colleges and all institutions do it. And too, when your trade papers rate your organization as being amongst the best, then for all practical purpose, nothing more need said.  The trade paper cited education, animal care and conservation and the interactive concept of people and animals.

I am also going to disagree with the non existence of public discourse about the FWZ. I have frequently heard praise for the FWZ that reaches beyond FW.  Try driving I-30/University during spring break on a Wednesday and you will know  It is not the Top Rated Tourist Destination in NT by being ordinary, although the FWSY is nipping at its heels.  

#6 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:09 PM

Fair enough and well-stated.

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:23 AM

The "best", "top", and "number 1" claims are largely based on popularity based ratings or voting like the USA Today poll or Zagat.  It's a method that's far from scientific, but these things rarely are and are almost always subjective.  That said, tourist attractions thrive on hyperbolic marketing.  Nobody brings in a crowd willing to spend money by saying, "We're slightly above average, but at least it isn't crowded."  The zoo here faces a very unique situation because they have another popular, large zoo that's done a great deal to improve their reputation in recent years 30 miles down the road.

#8 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 08:04 AM

That's a good point JBB.  I was half-sarcastic but I would rather see advertising about exhibits versus bragging rights.  I've seen "pay to play marketing" where in order to get ahead in your market you need to spend a certain level of money advertising with that publication and then they are more likely to give your organization a better ranking or feature.  I always prefer word-of-mouth advertising to get others' experiences firsthand.  Might help if I actually checked it out in-person, that's if I can battle through the throngs of people (just kidding).

On a side note, from talking to someone who works there, he absolutely loves it.  He's all around a positive person, but I've never heard a negative thing about the Zoo from him.  In fact, he's been there for many years and his PTO is probably one of the best I've ever seen even better than someone I know who works for European aerospace company that gives him 6 week off.  I'm jealous to say the least.

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 09:29 AM

The need to discount the enormous great work and achievements of the FWZ seems IMO to be par with the similar need to discount the DTFW skyline as not being as tall overall as a city nearby.  Until recently, DTFW, though smaller, was praised for its charm and entertainment. Quality and character matters.

I assume that the organization awarding the rating took a look at multiple zoos, so it is quite a recognition for Fort Worth. Anyway, why shouldn't it be Fort Worth?  Fort Worth is home to the oldest botanic gardens in Texas; home to the Kimbell, a great small museum.

It is easily overlook that the FWZ advertising campaign has been copied by another nearby zoo and that that same zoo has reorganized itself to operate like the FWZ while also recruiting talent from the FWZ.

What a fantastic day for all the people at the FWZ; very happy for them and congrats!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users