#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

Sorry for the short notice, but I will be making the presentation for Historic Fort Worth's 2015 Most Endangered List at noon today.  The location will again be at Thistle Hill and the food trucks will be open.  Remember, a small part of the overall cost of your food purchased at Thistle Hill goes to benefit Historic Fort Worth.

#2 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

You did good, John!

#3 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:58 AM

Can't wait to see the new list!

#4 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

I know the event is during a workday, but I was sad that the turnout at the actual event was as low as it was last year (probably about 10-15 attendees).  I didn't recognize anyone from the city council, which was kind of sad...I think I saw Zedah there last year but not this year. 

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

For those of you who didn't get the list, below is a link to the Fort Worth Business Press article on the 2015 list.

http://www.fwbusines...dLujgc.facebook

Today, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram came out with an editorial on the list.  The link to that editorial is below:

http://www.star-tele...le20458137.html

The Star-Telegram is saying that HFW is getting too political with the list.  The Stockyards and the Cultural District have been on the list before and I don't remember the paper stating that the organization was too political when the areas were placed on that list previously.  The Stockyards is a National Register Historic District and the organization is perfectly within their rights to name it as endangered when new development is coming.  Although the Cultural District is different, the process that is set up now could endanger some of our historic museums and public buildings in that area, as well. 

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

I saw on HFW's website and in one of the articles that none of the Barron Field buildings remain. Is the building behind the historical marker not one of the original buildings? I grew up a mile or so from there and always thought that was one of the base's original buildings.

I get including the Cultural District for the lack of a cohesive master plan for the area, but mentioning the paid parking just sounds like whining to me and lends a lack of credibility to the list. Other than an article in the Weekly decrying the downfall of the cattle barn flea markets (which had problems beyond the start of paid parking), I've yet to hear anything but anecdotal evidence of cultural district institutions that are truly suffering as a result of the paid parking. Free parking at entertainment venues is the exception, not the norm these days. Are the parking fees, the collection system, and the way it all came about perfect? Absolutely not, but it's not a nail in the coffin for the CD. John, I respect everything you and HFW do, but I'm disappointed that the list went in that direction, especially in a city like FW that has far bigger preservation issues than that.

#7 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:44 PM

Too political? Really? One statement got my attention: "By including the Stockyards, Historic Fort Worth gets into the middle of a dispute between some property owners who want to limit changes in the area and those who support a major new development there." Is this a way of saying when development is on the table, no places are important enough for broad protection that may somehow limit or delay new development? After all, Fort Worth has such a sterling preservation record so I'm sure any developers will recognize the historic and cultural significance of the Stockyards and will strive to preserve those assets in their re-development plans. Editorial opinions are just that so those who support the cause of historic preservation are free to view things differently. I personally think development can be a force for good and when preservation is part of the plan, (as in the successful Hillside residential development) everyone wins. Political or not, Historic Fort Worth is the voice of preservation in our city and I believe it has done a remarkable job with very limited resources. I dread the day when there are not enough historic sites remaining to make a list but I consider that a real possibility in the years ahead. Even "progressive" Dallas has arguably done a better job at preserving their built heritage and historic sites than we have. It makes me wonder from the editorial if the newspaper itself is too politically biased in favor of developers than the broad citizenry of our city? Why can't we have new development which includes historic preservation? The two should not be considered mutually exclusive in an enlightened major American city like ours.

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:04 PM

JBB, Historic Fort Worth gives the public an opportunity to submit nominees for the Most Endangered and for Historic Preservation Awards.  The organization's Public Affairs Committee reviews these nominations from the public and its members.  The committee can also submit nominees.  The final list is approved by the Board of Directors. 

I will agree that we may have more preservation issues, but this is what was submitted to the Board and approved.  I honestly think they are valid.  I've mentioned my position on the Stockyards, since coming development may have a positive, or negative, effect on the existing building stock.  I still have a concern over Will Rogers.  The buildings are some of our most cherished landmarks, yet they have no local historic designation.  This means they have no protection against demolition.  The City Staff at the facility say that they are not going to allow anything to happen to the buildings.  I'm actually not worried about this administration.  What I am worried about is our City Council and staff 50 years from now.  They might want to tear down the Will Rogers Memorial Center.

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:43 PM

I absolutely agree and thought, after my post yesterday, that I was discounting the lack of protection for the Will Rogers facilities. However, I see no way whatsoever that paid parking has an impact on that. I've said what I had to say on that, so I won't let it get in the way of discussion going forward.

I know we've beaten this dead horse sufficiently, but what is keeping the city from designating a "cherished" facility that they own? I just don't understand that.

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:23 PM

Absolutely nothing is keeping the City from designating its own property.  It's my impression that the staff at Will Rogers feels that a local historic designation will hamper them in making repairs.  Sometimes, on facility that old, they need to make repairs very quickly to allow a show or an event to open on schedule.  The Preservation Ordinance states that repair in like kind does not have to be reviewed by the Landmarks Commission.

In my dealings with City Staff in all departments, I have found them very reluctant to want to designate any structure owned by the city.  The City's Preservation Plan calls for the designation of its public buildings.

#11 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:00 AM

One of the buildings on the HFW 2015 list has been bought by a well-known historic property restoration company:

http://www.star-tele...le49726765.html

#12 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:08 PM

That's encouraging news. So often we read about another piece of our architectural legacy being lost so learning about something being saved is a pleasant surprise. I added on the Gem on Samuels Avenue-Garvey House thread about 3 more old houses along Samuels Avenue being lost to demolition in the past few days.  I continue to worry the Garvey House itself could be lost but have no realistic strategy to offer for saving it. I had believed once the two brothers who owned it got it sold, as they did last year, (Sept. 2015)  a new owner would be able to bring it back to being the pride of the neighborhood again. Not so, it appears.

#13 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:42 AM

I'm not a great proponent of historic preservation in all cases but I make a particular exception to the Masonic Lodge, a unique structure in Fort Worth.  It's on the 2016 "most endangered" list (see Fort Worth Business magazine article below.)  I've never been inside this building but I pass it every day in my work commute downtown.

http://www.fortworth...7026ce5767.html

#14 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:26 AM

Are there just the three properties on the list for 2016? I suppose the current items are meant to be viewed as part of an ongoing list updated and added to each year. I wonder if it is possible to dismantle the soon-to-be-doomed railroad bridge, restore any weak points, and reassemble it on new foundations somewhere along the Trinity River for a bike trail. There seems to be a need for a river crossing downstream from Beach Street and before the Loop 820/Wright Freeway bridge, maybe as part of the Gateway Park complex. If there WAS proper protection for structures like the chapel, Cook's Hospital might see appropriate to re-purpose it as a ... Chapel! Every hospital has one (correct me if there is a hospital supported by an atheist charitable organization). I was not aware that there were any preservation issues with the Masonic Temple. I understand the general lack of preservation ordinances and other protections for any building in Fort Worth, but doesn't the Masonic organization take pretty good care of the temple; is there any plausible reason to anticipate it's demise in the near to intermediate future?

• JBB likes this

#15 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

Sounds like the biggest threat to the Temple is the lack of funds for maintenance and modernization.

I love the idea of moving and restoring the railroad bridges as pedestrian/bike crossings.

#16 CFerguson

CFerguson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, music of the 20s-30s, P.G. Wodehouse

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:41 AM

Not sure if this is the right forum, but wanted you to know that the Star-Telegram's free "shopper" (distributed to all households today) has run Sandra Baker's article about the endangered Masonic Temple, the bridges, and Wayside Church. Four photos on the back page.

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

Historic Fort Worth 2017:

Very interesting and far reaching with the inclusion of a tree; mid-century houses; East 4th Street building, a structure that has inexplicably caught my eyes in passing for its style.  The CC Arena is a surprise.

Great job, HFW!

FWBP - http://www.fortworth...912286346e.html

#18 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

Here's a more detailed write up directly from HFW:

http://historicfortw...OKLET_MEP-1.pdf

I agree that they did a great job with the list this year.

I'm also surprised about the inclusion of the arena, but it is indeed a hugely iconic structure. I get that it's obsolete as far as arenas go and there's no sense in the city maintaining 2 arenas. It would be fantastic if some of sort of creative plan came about to reuse and adapt it for meeting and exhibit space.

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:08 AM

JBB, that is exactly what we are looking for with the arena.  If a group of local architects got together, they might be able to come up with a way to re-purpose the iconic arena structure. 

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

It's been a while since I have posted here, but HFW is taking nominations from the public for the 2019 Most Endangered List.  The link is below:

HFW 2019 Most Endangered Nomination Form

#21 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:34 AM

Did you all know that I am no longer Chairman of Historic Fort Worth?  Back in late 2012, I was asked to serve as Chairman for a three year term.  I agreed and after the three years, I was asked to serve another three year term.  The Board Development Committee finally found a good candidate in the Chair of our Public Affairs Committee, Cara Kennemer.  This left a vacancy at Chair of Public Affairs.  Cara and I have switched places.  I started out at HFW on the Public Affairs Committee, and I eventually chaired that group before I was Chairman of the Board.  I am now the new/old Chair of Public Affairs.  That committee is the group that goes through the nominations for Most Endangered and the Preservation Awards.  After we review the nominations, we submit the awards to the Board of Directors for final approval.  Public Affairs is also the committee that reviews all historic building cases that go before the various Boards, Commissions, and City Council.

#22 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:07 PM

You mentioned to me a few months ago that you had been serving well past your original term and that you would be stepping down soon.

-Dylan

#23 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:27 PM

I had told a few people on the forum when I visited with them personally.  It wasn't official until we had the formal meeting and election of new officers at the end of January.

#24 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:30 PM

In regards to the "Most Endangered" list, part of me wants to suggest adding Thistle Hill to the list (yes, that may be a bit ridiculous).

Are y'all feeling pressure from Cook Hospital now that it surrounds you on all four sides?

-Dylan

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:35 PM

I would nominate Riverside Baptist

#26 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:21 PM

In regards to the "Most Endangered" list, part of me wants to suggest adding Thistle Hill to the list (yes, that may be a bit ridiculous).

Are y'all feeling pressure from Cook Hospital now that it surrounds you on all four sides?

I don't think that's ridiculous at all.

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:06 PM

We have nomination forms on Historic Fort Worth's website.  Download it, fill it out, and submit them.

#28 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:25 PM

Good grief that is a complicated nomination process.

#29 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:25 PM

JTR, whatever form that your leadership takes is a benefit in the preservation of Fort Worth's past.

Thank you for your work. :)

#30 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:27 PM

Volare, I was thinking the same. I haven't gotten around to filling any out yet because I'm a bit lazy.

#31 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:44 PM

Thanks, Rename.  Austin and Volare, I have filled out worse forms.  I would say fill out as much as you can and then let staff and the committee decide if enough information is provided.  The committee will still have to do more research and legwork before the announcement.  That is why the form is complicated.  We simply don't have enough volunteers or staff to do the research.  Another way to approach this is to fill out what you can, hope that we accept it, and then we may ask you to follow your nomination up with the research.

#32 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:22 AM

Is there no posting yet for this year's list?

#33 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:36 AM

It was posted a few hours after the announcement on May 1st.  Try this link: https://historicfort...angered-places/

#34 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:56 PM

I meant a post on this message board. Typically there is a discussion about the selections for the year.

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:32 PM

There is usually a posting on this board and I should have made it.  Here is the list and it is fully open to discussion.  My term finally ended as Chairman of Historic Fort Worth in January and the Public Affairs Committee Chair and I have switched places.  The Public Affairs Committee takes nominations from the public for the Most Endangered and we review and consider them.  We did not have a lot of nominations this year and a couple of buildings should have made the list, but they were in transition and the committee decided to give the new owner a chance before we put the buildings on the list.  They would have been repeated entries.  Since the list was announced, we have discovered one former listing may be demolished; therefore, it should have been on the list.  I'm going to keep the name of that building under wraps because I don't want to do anything that might hasten the demolition. 

The four items that made the 2019 HFW Most Endandered List are:

• Fairmount Gas Station at 1700 Alston (Alston & W. Allen)
  • Tarrant County Convention Center Arena
  • Small number of bungalows north of Magnolia and south of Rosedale between 8th Ave. and Washington.
  • Historic Original Wood Windows

#36 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

.....Here is the list and it is fully open to discussion.  My term finally ended as Chairman of Historic Fort Worth in January and the Public Affairs Committee Chair and I have switched places. ...

The four items that made the 2019 HFW Most Endandered List are:

• Tarrant County Convention Center Arena
  •  

Two comments -

First, thanks for all the hard work that the HFW,and you in particularly, put into educating and alerting the public about important and places that need either our attention or need preservation.  

Second, the Convention Center Arena is a complicated discussion.  It is at the same time an iconic piece of mid century modernism and sits upon an essential piece of land necessary for going forward in the next rival chapter of Downtown.

For me, it is bitter sweet. :unsure:

#37 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:04 PM

The purpose of the Most Endangered List is to raise awareness of our threatened buildings.  HFW is fully aware of the need for the Convention Center expansion, and the organization would love to see the building modified and reused as convention space.  What would be more realistic would be for salvaging as much of the building's parts that could be used on the new expansion.  The original 1968 center had a stylistic freize concrete panel that depicted a modern interpretation of theater and stage lighting.  It would be great to remove those panels and reuse them as a design feature on the expansion.  Other facade elements might be saved and reincorporated into the expansion.

Also, please remember that we take nominations of the public for this list, and if they meet our criteria, then the building does make the list.

#38 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

......the need for the Convention Center expansion......What would be more realistic would be for salvaging as much of the building's parts that could be used on the new expansion.  The original 1968 center had a stylistic freize concrete panel that depicted a modern interpretation of theater and stage lighting.  It would be great to remove those panels and reuse them as a design feature on the expansion.......

I have been thinking along the same way...use some of it in the expansion.  At the least the frieize panels should be save and shown in other parts of the expansion.

#39 CFerguson

CFerguson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, music of the 20s-30s, P.G. Wodehouse

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:26 PM

The July issue of Fort Worth magazine has a photo spread called "Left for Dead," leading off with the Public Market and including five other buildings on the HFW list.   Author is Linda Blackwell, photos by Olaf Growald.

#40 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:10 PM

The author is Linda Blackwell Simmons.  She is a local freelance writer, and a personal friend of mine.  Her husband, Tommy Simmons, has shown up at a few of our forum meetings.  He is a cyclist and I have been riding with him for years.

#41 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 08:58 AM

On the FW Report homepage today

Farrington Field, former candy factory make list of Fort Worth endangered buildings

HFW-John-RobertsIMG_5977-scaled.jpg

#42 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 09:07 AM

I see a familiar face.

#43 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 05 May 2022 - 09:49 AM

Hey, I know that guy too!!

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 01:11 PM

How do you like our low-tech presentation methods?

#45 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 05 March 2023 - 07:28 PM

I probably should have taken more time to find a better location without the power lines, but I'm also out shooting for Historic Fort Worth's Most Endangered List, to be released on May 3rd.

Were the nominations for 2023 closed on March 11, 2022?  I guess I didn't realize there was such a large amount of time between nominations and the MEP list announcement on May 3rd 2023.

https://historicfort...07/MEP_Form.pdf

#46 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 05 March 2023 - 09:27 PM

No. The nominations for 2022 were closed on March 11, 2022.  Then they were announced in the first week of May, last year.  We do the Most Endangred Lists every year.  The form that you posted was last year's, unless there is a typo on this year's form.  The reason for the two month lag is that our Public Affairs Committee reviews the nominations and then votes on them.  Those nominees are then sent to the Board of Directors, who also vote on the list.  After the list is approved, it goes back to the Public Affairs Committee to prepare the presentation in May.  The photographs that I took this weekend were for the committee to see the buildings that have been nominated.

#47 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 05 March 2023 - 10:07 PM

That makes sense. I think there was an error on the form showing a 2022 deadline on pages 1 and 3. The May 3, 2023 announcement date is correct.

#48 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 05 March 2023 - 11:21 PM

I also thought the dates had been corrected.  When we proofed the nomination form, I noticed the dates were for last year.

#49 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 07:47 PM

2023 HFW Most Endangered List / Map:

https://www.star-tel...nk=bignews_main

#50 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 04:04 AM

Also here (although this is perhaps the list of nominees?) not sure.

https://historicfort...ed-places-2023/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users