#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:29 PM

At the Annual Luncheon for Downtown Fort Worth, Inc., it was revealed today that the site of the old Frank Kent Cadillac at Main and Lancaster is now scheduled to have a new loft apartment building constructed on that site.  I'm posting an article by Scott Nishimura with the Business Press. This article also mentions two other downtown projects.  However, they will have separate threads, or it will be linked in the appropriate existing thread.

http://www.fwbusines...15ff3b7e16.html

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:42 PM

GO LANCASTER GO. 

Hqn4wNk.jpg

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

I'm amazed that the land has stayed in the Frank Kent/Churchill family for 30+ years after the dealership closed. More good news for Lancaster. Things look to be headed in the right direction on that end of downtown.

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

At the Annual Luncheon for Downtown Fort Worth, Inc., it was revealed today that the site of the old Frank Kent Cadillac at Main and Lancaster is now scheduled to have a new loft apartment building constructed on that site.....

GO LANCASTER GO. 

Hqn4wNk.jpg

This is one of the more oddly shaped and barrier challenged site anywhere downtown.  It will be an interesting task fitting apartments of this magnitude there. For instance, what about fire and EMS? It might have been a better site for a commercial mid-rise.  Anyway Good luck.

#5 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:04 AM

At the Annual Luncheon for Downtown Fort Worth, Inc., it was revealed today that the site of the old Frank Kent Cadillac at Main and Lancaster is now scheduled to have a new loft apartment building constructed on that site.....

GO LANCASTER GO. 

Hqn4wNk.jpg

This is one of the more oddly shaped and barrier challenged site anywhere downtown.  It will be an interesting task fitting apartments of this magnitude there. For instance, what about fire and EMS? It might have been a better site for a commercial mid-rise.  Anyway Good luck.

This is great news for that end of downtown.  And, with all these proposed projects, including the hint of one on the old CNB site, downtown is going to be a busy construction area in the coming years.

Edited by John T Roberts, 02 April 2015 - 07:33 AM.
Copying Text from copyrighted articles is not permitted.

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

It is an odd, constricted site. I would assume that apartment building is L-shaped with a parking structure in the rear that gives plenty of access.

#7 jsfslls

jsfslls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:24 AM

The lofts just got their TIF funds approved.

200-units with the first two floors having 320 parking spaces, and the top three being apartments. The project will also have a fitness center, business center and other common areas.

http://www.star-tele...le26012407.html

#8 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

Now if we could just get the T&P Warehouse going.

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:41 AM

Every one of these smaller projects that happen will bring it closer to reality.

#10 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:33 PM

It's been a while since the announcement. I haven't read or heard anything about construction starting, but did see utility flags all over the site today. 

#11 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

Going before DDRB

DG16-07 130 E. Lancaster Avenue / The Kent Apartments Owner/Applicant: TX Kent Lofts, LP / Justin Pertrieca Requests a Certificate of Appropriateness to construct a six-story apartment complex.

#12 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

Busy month for the DDRB & apartment projects...

• The DDRB also approved plans to build the Kent Lofts at 130 East Lancaster Ave. Plans for the development include four stories with 205 apartment units and two stories of parking. The DDRB requested that the developer work with city staff to determine the location and size of the building's signage, as well as redesign the corner of the building facing Lancaster Avenue and Main Street to make the corner more unique. 

http://www.fortworth...f23f0d4105.html

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

The DFWI annual newsletter mentions that this stalled out due to utility conflicts, but should start May or June.

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

Maybe more delays? From Lancaster TIF agenda,

Discussion and consideration of a resolution authorizing Amendment No. 2 to the TIF Economic Development Program Agreement with TX Kent Lofts, LLC to change the Start Date, Completion Deadline, Loan Term, and Minimum Required Residential Units

#15 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

Any word on this project? I had heard at one time they asked for another extension to close the loan for the 3rd or 4th time and the Kent family said no. Cool little spot to do something! 

#16 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

.... Cool little spot to do something! 

Yes it is cool little spot;  but for the plans that have been presented, it is a disappointment. 

If ever a location called for a 15 floors above garage base, this is it.

#17 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

I saw a for sale sign on the property the other day when I was down there...

#18 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

.... Cool little spot to do something!

Yes it is cool little spot;  but for the plans that have been presented, it is a disappointment. 

If ever a location called for a 15 floors above garage base, this is it.

Wouldn’t the proposed condo tower for Henderson look awesome at this location

#19 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

It's no longer on DFWI's website. Guess it's the 2nd project to fall though here in a few years. It's a tricky site. 

#20 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:56 PM

It's no longer on DFWI's website. Guess it's the 2nd project to fall though here in a few years. It's a tricky site. 

....new Renovo site, maybe? 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

In the upcoming TIF meeting agenda

A. Memorandum update on Kent Lofts TIF Development Agreement. (Michael Hennig, Business Development Coordinator)

#22 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:34 PM

Maybe this isn't dead? Here's another item from the latest TIF agenda,

D. Discussion and consideration of a resolution authorizing the Chair to enter into a TIF Development Agreement with TX Kent Lofts LP for the reimbursement of certain public improvements supporting the development of a multi-family property located at the southeast corner of Lancaster Avenue and Main Street (Michael Hennig, Business Development Coordinator)

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:25 PM

Finally breaking ground soon?

http://fortworthtexa...8-improvements/

#24 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:25 PM

It remains a paradox to me as why, at this specific site with as irregular a shape as could possibly be found, the developer has settled for the generic prototypical blockade design. 

This site calls for a mid-rise or higher..something like a "flat iron structure"......and ideally, it would affirmatively reflect the "T&P/PO/Whse Line" in the way that Pinnacle Place has successfully done.

#25 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:08 AM

I think We've heard this news a time or 2 over the past 4 years...  I won't hold believe it's actually moving forward until it's starts rising from the ground.

It remains a paradox to me as why, at this specific site with as irregular a shape as could possibly be found, the developer has settled for the generic prototypical blockade design. 

This site calls for a mid-rise or higher..something like a "flat iron structure"......and ideally, it would affirmatively reflect the "T&P/PO/Whse Line" in the way that Pinnacle Place has successfully done.

because new construction in the US is all about making the simplest structure at the cheapest cost.  I'm with you and wish they could build something that just becomes another generic structure.  Unfortunately this is a trend that I don't see changing anytime soon.

#26 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:33 AM

I would think that the Lancaster Corridor Board, if it held any sway, would apply their overlay, again if one is in effect.  The proximity of this site as well as the site at 13th Street to the historic buildings require that new structures should be architecturally sensitive to the historic buildings along Lancaster Avenue.

Right now, I believe that neither project in their current rendering will fit the texture of their surroundings in a positive manner.

#27 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:30 AM

The earlier renderings circulated of the Cadillac Lofts showed really disappointing design - a bit gimmicky.

I hope that the design was completely thrown out and they started over with something simpler, cleaner.

We'll see.

#28 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:30 PM

The earlier renderings circulated of the Cadillac Lofts showed really disappointing design - a bit gimmicky.

I hope that the design was completely thrown out and they started over with something simpler, cleaner.

We'll see.

With a little bit of imagination, the CL could be iconic if only as a result of its quirky site.

#29 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:06 PM

We'll see.

With a little bit of imagination, the CL could be iconic if only as a result of its quirky site.

True.  There can be a limit of what can be expected of certain architects (and developers).  I dont know who designed the one we saw in renderings,  but I personally I'm concerned that the same team is not going to radically improve their design.  They'd have to start over. 

#30 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:51 PM

Because of the location, I'm actually glad it's [Belknap @Lexington] more than 10... 

It remains a paradox to me as why, at this specific site [Cadillac Lofts] with as irregular a shape as could possibly be found, the developer has settled for the generic prototypical blockade design......This site calls for a mid-rise or higher..something like a "flat iron structure".....

Similar irregular shaped situation with a different approach.

Give credit to Belknap @ Lexington as it does seem as though the developer at this site understands the requirement to do something reasonably vertical in height and is demonstrating a better understanding of their situation than the developer of Cadillac Lofts.

My guess is that BL will have a better selling point than CL because of its views and this better selling point will generate a strong demand for leasing.

#31 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:32 PM

Council was told Kent Lofts would break ground mid summer.

#32 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:22 PM

Going before Downtown Design Review Board. Here's the agenda item,

DG19 – 010 130 E. Lancaster Avenue

Owner: Stone Street Development – Robert Edelman
Applicant: Stone Street Development – Robert Edelman
Requests a Certificate of Appropriateness to construct a 6-story apartment
building with the following waivers from the streetscape and Lancaster Corridor
standards: street tree, pedestrian lighting, and parking structure placement

Here is the website for Stone Street - http://www.stonestreetdev.com/

#33 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:05 AM

I believe it was approved. Doesn't appear the design has changed much since 2016. 

dd7d072d-8a9a-4300-93f6-8d8b30a21477.jpg

In recent days the  site has been mowed and some brush cleared, seen several surveyors out as well.

#34 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

Not bad.

My blog: Doohickie

#35 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:37 AM

Not at all.  That's such a weird shaped lot.  I'm interested in seeing how it fits into the contoured shape of the back side of the property line.

#36 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:44 PM

Not bad, but not good enough.... Just another generic box that looks like an economy hotel on the side of the freeway in Waco.

#37 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:08 AM

Not at all.  That's such a weird shaped lot.  I'm interested in seeing how it fits into the contoured shape of the back side of the property line.

I thought this tract was part of the city's right-of-way along Lancaster and part of the state's ROW along I-30.   It is fairly narrow.  You're right about wondering how this expansive-looking apartment complex will fit.  As for the boxy design (Post#36), what else can you expect in the design of a six-story apartment complex?

#38 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:46 PM

That design (in the rendering) is pretty disappointing.  The overall approach to the design is wrong in my opinion.  It seems deliberately and arbitrarily busy, yet extremely bland. 

I'm pro-density Downtown, so do want to see that block get built and occupied, and know it needs to pencil so am not recommending something that is more expensive.

I think a much more successful approach would be a simpler, cleaner scheme. 

Perhaps something along these lines: 

6164d1a5965878f4ac1aa38956d66f05.jpg

#39 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:11 PM

On a different topic... It looks like the Cadillac Lofts site went back on the market. Hope they are able to do something with that site if this project fell through.

There is still a sign on the site but I believe the project is still going strong through design/permitting. It went before TIF just last week.

#40 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:06 PM

This is a terribly underwhelming project. The name and the rendering leave a lot to be desired. I hope that they at least plan to reduce the freeway noise by using 2 x 6 exterior walls, upgraded insulation and windows because I see no appeal at all to live in the corner of downtown by Lancaster and the highway interchange. SMH. C'mon, do better!

#41 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:54 PM

I suggest that Cadillac Lofts keep a close eye on "Multifamily project at Belknap & Lexington" as its model.  It would be hard to pinpoint a site better suited for a17-story residential tower than this one at Lancaster/Main.  The incentives would be there.

#42 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 03:42 PM

According to the TIF meeting today, this project is still in the works. 

#43 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:09 PM

If I see still another four-five story same o, same o, apartment complex to be built in or on the fringe of downtown Fort Worth, I don't know what I'll do!

#44 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 10:14 AM

If I see still another four-five story same o, same o, apartment complex to be built in or on the fringe of downtown Fort Worth, I don't know what I'll do!

Well if this actually ever gets built it is going to be exactly what you are opposed to.  In all honesty I truly doubt it will happen because if it didn't happen during the great market we had from 2014-2017 then what makes us think it will happen in this current market of uncertainty.  It not getting built is the only thing I am certain about.

#45 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 10:30 AM

I'll take it if it occupies a previously vacant lot.  Especially one this small and awkwardly shaped.

#46 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 01:44 PM

HEDL are the architects. Newest proposal is 5 floors. I have no idea if the design is new or what it'll look like.

https://hedk.com/

#47 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:49 AM

The rents in Fort Worth won't support much else. You have to be north of $2/nrsf to do a midrise or higher.

#48 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:34 PM

Updatedish renderings from the DDRB docket. Hearing is tomorrow (9/11)

UStaff Recommendation: UThe applicant is proposing to construct a five (5) story apartment complex at the corner of Main Street and Lancaster Avenue. There will be two levels of underground parking with five stories of residential apartments. The site backs up to I-30. There is an existing plaza located at the corner of Lancaster Avenue and Main Street. The existing plaza is an opportunity for the ground floor to interact with the public realm. The current design of the plaza and the corner of the building are not cohesive causing the building to appear introverted. Staff recommends that the application is continued and the applicant restudy the design on the plaza and the architecture of the corner. 

VxKWAmI.png

WhgLPMB.png

Oq9D0f4.jpg

P1wfi1r.jpg

vaq8zAI.jpg

#49 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:27 PM

The design is really terrible.  Looked through the architect's work on its site and I understand why.  Really gimmicky, sloppy stuff across the board.  This is an example of arbitrarily busy facade design.  I see no design logic other than "just get it done, produce units that work, and hit the budget".  And I don't think its a matter of cost.  They (or perhaps another architect) could have made this much cleaner and more logical, even if limited to the identical material palette, size, window size and pattern, and balconies. 

I'd start with eliminating those gray rectangular sections that protrude for no reason, the clumsy cream-colored rectangular thing at the corner entry, and the wickety-wack design on the parapets/horizontal elements.  (What is the term for the horizontal moldings - some on parapets, others lower - as well as the little beady things that stick down a bit?)

This is a rare case where I'd prefer to see that site remain vacant rather than have a bad building occupy it for 40+ years. 

#50 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:31 AM

The design is really terrible.  Looked through the architect's work on its site and I understand why.  Really gimmicky, sloppy stuff across the board.  This is an example of arbitrarily busy facade design.  I see no design logic other than "just get it done, produce units that work, and hit the budget".  And I don't think its a matter of cost.  They (or perhaps another architect) could have made this much cleaner and more logical, even if limited to the identical material palette, size, window size and pattern, and balconies. 

I'd start with eliminating those gray rectangular sections that protrude for no reason, the clumsy cream-colored rectangular thing at the corner entry, and the wickety-wack design on the parapets/horizontal elements.  (What is the term for the horizontal moldings - some on parapets, others lower - as well as the little beady things that stick down a bit?)

This is a rare case where I'd prefer to see that site remain vacant rather than have a bad building occupy it for 40+ years. 

The full exterior being brick, even with the extraneously undulating façade, IMHO the uniformity of material would go a long way in improving the aesthetics. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Frank Kent Cadillac, Apartments, New Construction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users