Photo
- - - - -

Cheesecake Factory coming to Arlington??

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:48 PM

Cheesecake Factory has eyes on Arlington
Popular restaurant files plans for Parks mall location
By ANDREA JARES and SANDRA BAKER
STAR-TELEGRAM

The Cheesecake Factory, the restaurant with a wide variety of meals and desserts, has filed plans to build a restaurant at The Parks at Arlington mall in South Arlington.

The upscale restaurant, which is one of the most sought-after shopping center tenants, filed plans this week with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. The agency reviews plans to comply with Americans with Disabilities Act requirements.

The state filing shows that construction is planned to start construction June 1 and be completed Sept. 1. The estimated construction cost would be $5 million, according to the filing.

Cindy Thompson, marketing manager for the mall at the northeast corner of Cooper Street and Interstate 20, said the mall had no announcements and had no comment.

#2 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:58 PM

I can't understand why this chain continues to pass over FW for the surburbs. Since this would be the fourth DFW location, I'm still not ruling out a FW location, after all, what's one more.

This does make me wonder why CF didn't hold out for a Glory Park location.

#3 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ May 2 2007, 01:58 PM) View Post

I can't understand why this chain continues to pass over FW for the surburbs.

Because Fort Worth markets itself as Cowtown with western mindset. So chains like CF and other upscale resturants think FW is all about Steakhouses and BBQ joints. YEEHAAAAAWWWWW!!!!! tongue.gif

#4 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(DrkLts @ May 2 2007, 02:15 PM) View Post

Because Fort Worth markets itself as Cowtown with western mindset. So chains like CF and other upscale resturants think FW is all about Steakhouses and BBQ joints. YEEHAAAAAWWWWW!!!!! tongue.gif

Bingo

#5 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:46 PM

Zero connection.

#6 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:33 PM

I disagree. I don't think whether FW markets itself as Cowtown or not ever crossed their mind; no more so than other restaurants which have located in FW.

#7 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

since the highlands opened up, this area has exploded. i have to admit, i applaud the developer's gusto. not long ago, residents were dreading the decline of the parks with a shooting, several other violent incidents, influx of loiterers, and the closing of several stores. so instead of folding up shop, why not double down your bet and add more space. highlands is a first rate development (aesthetically) and i hope that it thrives going forward. (side note: will be interesting to see how

on the flip side, i feel bad for people that live nearby - the traffic has become beyond manageable. my in-laws are frequently unable to exit their neighborhood (more than a mile west of the parks) thanks to bumper-to-bumper traffic during rush hour and on the weekends. i-20 bottlenecks so bad at matlock that even the far left lane slows to 35-40 mph in the middle of the afternoon on a sunday. mad.gif

#8 CurtisD

CurtisD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:18 AM

^^^^
I agree PLS, Highlands is one of the best new shopping centers around. I'm fond of CF myself, and realize what a huge draw they can be. I too find it strange that they continue to skip FW. I don't necessarily think it's FW's cowboy image. Arlington continues to pull a lot of shoppers from FW (and the Dallas area), not the other way around. I think the restaurant doesn't see FW as much of a shopping destination worthy of its store.
And I think I've heard of CF possibly opening a Cedarhill location as well.

#9 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:11 AM

Puh-leaze. . . Cheesecake Factory is incredibly lame. We are not missing anything. In fact, I'm glad they haven't opened up in FW and made us any more cheesy.

#10 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE(CurtisD @ May 3 2007, 06:18 AM) View Post

^^^^
I agree PLS, Highlands is one of the best new shopping centers around. I'm fond of CF myself, and realize what a huge draw they can be. I too find it strange that they continue to skip FW. I don't necessarily think it's FW's cowboy image. Arlington continues to pull a lot of shoppers from FW (and the Dallas area), not the other way around. I think the restaurant doesn't see FW as much of a shopping destination worthy of its store.
And I think I've heard of CF possibly opening a Cedarhill location as well.

You are right about that particular area of Arlington not only pulling shoppers from FW, but Dallas as well. Most everyone I've met that live in SW Dallas considers the S. Cooper corridor their main shopping area. Its even been blamed as a factor in the demise of the Redbird area retail. I haven't been in the area in over six years, but I think I'm going to check it out to see what I think of this Highlands shopping center.
And I totally forget about the CedarHill location. Does DFW have the most locations of any other region??
QUOTE(Sam Stone @ May 3 2007, 07:11 AM) View Post

Puh-leaze. . . Cheesecake Factory is incredibly lame. We are not missing anything. In fact, I'm glad they haven't opened up in FW and made us any more cheesy.

Granted CF is a huge corporate chain, but it remains incredibly popular and its a sure bet to bring in crowds. Crowds that tend to spend money, which I'm sure, as the article stated, is one of the reasons they're highly sought after by developers. I'm sure the Arlington location will be well attended by FW folk, just like the Southlake location is.

#11 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(CurtisD @ May 3 2007, 06:18 AM) View Post

I think the restaurant doesn't see FW as much of a shopping destination worthy of its store.

if cf was going to open a fw location, northeast mall would have to be one of their top choices. but if you had to choose between ne mall and soutlake town center (relatively close proximity), i think that's a no brainer. access and visibility to northeast isn't the best, although the mall itself is great. hulen or bryant irvin would be great locations as well; traffic is plentiful, but a+ locations are scarce.

#12 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:19 AM

Cheesecake Factory is pretty much over.

It's past its prime as a draw, and not doing all that well in Southlake. But it'll do better in Arlington where there are fewer choices.

FW doesn't get one because Cheesecake is locating near the center of the DFW market.

#13 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(Buck @ May 3 2007, 10:19 AM) View Post

It's past its prime as a draw, and not doing all that well in Southlake. But it'll do better in Arlington where there are fewer choices.

FW doesn't get one because Cheesecake is locating near the center of the DFW market.

i'm shocked to hear that its not doing well in sl. it's always crowded when i'm in the area, or at least appears to be. and there are a ton of other choices in arlington, including many within the new highlands development. conf.gif

#14 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:16 AM

I'm going to try to check out this area this weekend.

Open-air 'lifestyle center' slated to have more than 110 stores by time it's complete
By ANDREA JARES
Star-Telegram staff writer

The Arlington Highlands shopping center will have its official grand opening Saturday. That big field at Matlock Road and Interstate 20 is now home to one of the industry's hottest shopping-center concepts.

With a wave of recent openings, Arlington Highlands now sports 30 stores at its "lifestyle center," an open-air design that combines big-box retailers with smaller merchants and encourages shoppers to walk from store to store. By the time it is completed, the center is expected to have more than 110 stores with more than 800,000 square feet of space, according to The Retail Connection, the center's developer. This includes Arlington Highlands East, which will break ground this year.

On Saturday, organizers will stop to celebrate with a grand-opening party from 1 to 9 p.m. The day includes fireworks, samples from local restaurants and a lineup of bands that includes KC and the Sunshine Band.

The Highlands took less than two years to build, but it's been years in the making.

'Complementary' to The Parks

Retailers had been looking for locations in south Arlington, said Daniel Fuller, vice president of the retail development division of The Retail Connection. Besides the obvious central location, the area has benefited from strong housing growth in Arlington, Mansfield and Grand Prairie.

The 635,000 square feet of shopping space at the Highlands is right next to The Parks at Arlington mall, which has been a strong performer for years.

"The Parks at Arlington mall is only outperformed by Galleria Mall and NorthPark Mall in Dallas," said Steven Lieberman, chief executive of The Retail Connection, citing sales. "So you're talking about an exceptional shopping environment, and the demand was superb."

Both centers say the Highlands will make south Arlington a better draw for shoppers.

"It's complementary," Fuller said. "This project strengthens the super-regionality. South Arlington is one of the densest and most successful retail areas in the Southwest."

Cindy Thompson, marketing manager at The Parks, said the Highlands has brought its own mix of tenants. She noted that there is very little duplication among tenants.

"It's a different type of retail," she said.

Lieberman said many retailers would have gone to the mall if not for the Highlands, but many others would have stayed out of south Arlington.

Patrice Duker, spokeswoman for the International Council of Shopping Centers, said the closeness may provide some advantages for both centers.

"They may get additional crossover shopping," she said. "It's like going to a shopping district."

Finding tenants

Fuller said that, after his company determined that a lifestyle center would work in south Arlington, it went after key tenants -- such as Orvis, Studio Movie Grill, White House/Black Market, Borders and P.F. Chang's -- that would get retailers' attention. The retailers who got on board early helped design the center and attract other stores.

"It's with this project where you had enough size to be able to cluster together enough of the specialty high-end tenants, restaurants and retailers," Fuller said. "It's pretty special."

The center has signed leases on 85 percent of its existing space and letters of intent to lease an additional 5 percent.

The latest trend

The Highlands combines the architecture of an old Texas courthouse square with a string of well-known, big-box stores. The lifestyle center design encourages strolling and spending the day, but store-front parking makes quick stops possible.

Lifestyle centers have been around for a long time but have really taken off in the past decade, Duker said. The trade group counts 155 lifestyle centers that have opened across the country since 1923. Of those, 94 have opened since 2000. Local examples include Southlake Town Square, University Park Village in Fort Worth and Lincoln Square in north Arlington.

Duker said large developers are moving away from the purely enclosed malls of the 1970s, '80s and '90s. Of the largest malls built last year, only one was completely enclosed, while the other six had at least part of the center with an open-air component, she said.

Fuller said lifestyle centers are the way retail is headed.

"They allow for better dining opportunities that kind of relate to the outdoors," Fuller said. "Just the experience with the park and the landscaping, it's a different experience than in an enclosed mall -- one that I think shoppers and retailers are responding to in a big way," Fuller said.

Not for everyone

Orvis, one of the new stores at the Highlands, puts its stores in a variety of shopping centers, said James Hathaway, spokesman for the Vermont-based company. But lifestyle centers work particularly well for the outdoor clothing and fly-fishing outfitter, he said. Orvis looks for destination-type centers, which fit in well with its elaborate stores, he said.

Because of the destination-worthy tenant lineup, these types of shopping centers only fit into a few locations, Lieberman said. To support a lifestyle center, a community needs highway access, a large population, a strong economic base and retailer interest.

The next phase of the project is the remaining 20 acres, to be called Arlington Highlands East. Lieberman and Fuller declined to say what is planned for that site, except to say it won't be an Ikea home-furnishings store, as had been rumored.

SCHEDULE

The Arlington Highlands shopping center has a full day of events planned for Saturday. There will be activities for kids and food samples all day. Highlights:

1 p.m.: ribbon cutting

1:30 p.m.: Habitat for Humanity home presentation

4 p.m.: Jordan Mycoskie (folk-rock)

5 p.m.: Owen Temple (country)

6 p.m.: Professor D (funk/R&B)

7:30 p.m.: KC and the Sunshine Band (R&B/disco)

9 p.m.: fireworks

Source: Arlington Highlands

New to Tarrant County

Tio's Tortas

Studio Movie Grill

Robbins Bros. jewelry store

BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse

Golf Galaxy

Bravo Cucina Italiana

Amdani's

ZiZi Pedispa & Nails

Polkadots

Music & Arts Centers

N Boutique

Valencia restaurant

The Pulse Fitness Center

HIGHLANDS DESTINATIONS

New to Arlington

P.F. Chang's China Bistro

Kincaid's

Genghis Grill

The Keg Restaurant and Bar

Which Wich

Hoffbrau Steaks

James Avery

Broyhill

Jamba Juice

Anderson's Furniture

Conn's

Cost Plus World Market

Ethan Allen

The Little Gym

Fish City Grill

Orvis

Justice Just for Girls

Jos. A. Bank

Coldwater Creek

Borders

Shoe Pavilion

Gloria's Restaurant

McAlister's Deli

Mimi's Cafe

White House Black Market

Staples

Portrait Innovations

Francesca's Collections

Massage Envy

WineStyles

Famous Footwear

Second locations

Potbelly Sandwich Works

Bed Bath & Beyond

Cold Stone Creamery

JoAnn's

Ann Taylor Loft

Petsmart

Luxury of Leather

Citifinancial

Ulta

Cingular Wireless

Great Clips

Lane Bryant/Cacique

Kellie Johnson D.D.S.

Sleep Experts

Haltom's

Sunglass Hut

Sources: The Retail Connection, the stores' web Web sitesLocations

#15 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:16 PM

I think Whole Foods follows the same plan. tongue.gif

#16 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

What about Frisco?

#17 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(cjyoung @ May 4 2007, 05:17 PM) View Post

What about Frisco?

This is exactly why I think they would open up near Alliance (by that INTEL Mountain) before FW. so much foot traffic and prime demographs near that area and just minutes east to northeast of there.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#18 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE(vjackson @ May 4 2007, 08:16 AM) View Post

Lifestyle centers have been around for a long time but have really taken off in the past decade, Duker said. The trade group counts 155 lifestyle centers that have opened across the country since 1923. Of those, 94 have opened since 2000. Local examples include Southlake Town Square, University Park Village in Fort Worth and Lincoln Square in north Arlington.

I got a chance to visit the center yesterday. It's very well designed and vey pleasing to look at. My one quesiton is what constitutes a "lifestyle center"? Is this the new buzzword for shopping center? I guess I confused lifestyle center with mixed use, because Southlake's Town Square has restaurants, retail, office and residential, where as, IMO, University Park Village and Lincoln Sq are shopping centers and nothing more.

#19 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE(vjackson @ May 7 2007, 08:47 AM) View Post

QUOTE(vjackson @ May 4 2007, 08:16 AM) View Post

I got a chance to visit the center yesterday. It's very well designed and vey pleasing to look at. My one quesiton is what constitutes a "lifestyle center"? Is this the new buzzword for shopping center? I guess I confused lifestyle center with mixed use, because Southlake's Town Square has restaurants, retail, office and residential, where as, IMO, University Park Village and Lincoln Sq are shopping centers and nothing more.

as i hear it used most often, lifestyle centers are open-air, pedestrian friendly shopping centers with a concentration of smaller retail space, as opposed to big box strip centers and indoor malls that dominated retail development throughout the 80s and 90s. as can be expected, every developer is now proposing a "lifestyle center" of some sort, so the definition is loose at best. some are solely retail/restaurant, others are truly mixed-use with several different components (including mf/condo and office). a lot of times, the only differentiation between the two is the inclusion of the term "mixed-use". wacko.gif confusing enough?!?

highlands is unique in that it blends a portion of the project of "big box" users with the lifestyle component. i believe however that most of the box stores are smaller than the traditional stores operated by those tenants (not dissimilar from best buy at lincoln square, which at the time it opened was a concept store for best buy, using a smaller floorplan to serve a perceived smaller market. i've heard [though can't confirm] that store is now among the highest grossing stores psf for best buy)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users