59 replies to this topic

#1 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

I suppose we've all been busy and the economy ain't the picture of perfection right now, but hasn't it been awhile since there's been a forum meet or have you all just been having them behind my back?

With the spirited discussions of late, It seems like we could all use a little personal interaction to get to know the people on the other side of the monitor.

Anybody?
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#2 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (AndyN @ Aug 6 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose we've all been busy and the economy ain't the picture of perfection right now, but hasn't it been awhile since there's been a forum meet or have you all just been having them behind my back?

With the spirited discussions of late, It seems like we could all use a little personal interaction to get to know the people on the other side of the monitor.

Anybody?

I am going to try to get down to Botanic Gardens this evening, then a quick game of disc golf...

But yes, a BMOC is past due. Where's safly?

#3 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (Prairie Pup @ Aug 6 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (AndyN @ Aug 6 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anybody?

I am going to try to get down to Botanic Gardens this evening, then a quick game of disc golf...

But yes, a BMOC is past due. Where's safly?

Depending when you do it I'd like to come.

For me,
1st weekend in Oct is out.
Aug 22 is out

and I know that two years ago there was a bike ride. Not up for that, but sure would like to get together with other
photographers at one site and all of us take pics and compare. (Of course ya'll are always there so this may
be old hat, but) would love to go on a photo "hike" of FW.

the rest is subject to negotiation.

GenE

#4 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

I'm game, hope to have my new camera here soon.

...and there are a few new restaurants downtown, maybe a walk about photo-op with some pit stops to recharge on some lemonade or something.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

You know that I would be game for it. I do have some out of town trips coming up, so we will have to coordinate. Also, because of the heat, it might be good to do this later in the day.

#6 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (AndyN @ Aug 6 2009, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anybody?

Bump.

I'd really like to see this happen. Robert, would it be unethical to use any email addresses you have for the members
to notify them this is in the planning stages?

GenE

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

GenE, several of our forum members have requested not to be notified of anything by e-mail. Probably the only proper way to notify members of our meeting will be to post it here on the board. We can also post as a section within every sub-forum, in the announcements section, and on the forum calendar.

I still would like to meet up with everyone, and I think it will be more successful if we give it plenty of notice and if we have it in the late afternoon, if we do this within the next month or so. If we wait until October, then we could do it on a weekend. That also brings me to another point. I have several long weekend trips coming up, starting in two weeks. They will be happening frequently through the end of October. I won't be out of town every weekend, but it will be frequent.

#8 angie013

angie013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

Count me in!

#9 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

Weekends are good for us.
Will be out of country on a photoshoot Sept 17 - 21 in Mexico.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#10 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Urban Planning, Conservation, Sustainability, Transit-oriented-Development, Historic Preservation.<br /><br />Hiking, camping, reading, BBQing, photography, traveling

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

I'm down for any weekend starting around November 7th. Keep me posted!

#11 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

Why not just come up with a standard day, for instance, 3rd Saturday of the month but only in odd months, as in 09, 11, 01, etc...

Just tossing out the idea.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:30 PM

We were going to do that for every quarter of the year, but somehow, it didn't work.

#13 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

I know I am new and don't have a camera but I would meet up as well. biggrin.gif
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#14 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hmm don't think a camera is really necessary... its meeting the forum folks that's important.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#15 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:52 PM

Okay. When you guys are ready a pm would be great. Ill also continue to check this thread.
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#16 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

There are a lot more people living downtown so I'd guess we might have a better than average chance of having some regulars if we tried for something repeatable, for downtown stuff anyway. I know I’m more likely to show up if I just have to do a little walking.

I know summer time heat can make it difficult for outside architecture so it's either inside activities or some very creative scheduling for time of day or a lot of cool down lemonade stops.

I’m hoping to get my D90 this week along with a 16-85mm lens, which I chose specifically for architecture due to the wide side of its range.

I think it might be better to first exclude some weeks such as major holidays, memorials and such, that might be a place to start. Then maybe do a poll to see how people stack up for what’s left.

#17 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:34 AM

Cameras are not required. It is more important at these meetings to meet other forum members. If we do walk around and take pictures, that is just an extra. However, we could always set up a photo shoot at another time.

#18 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:50 PM

September 5, 12, 19.. Someone throw out a date. We'll whittle it down. Could also be a 4, 11 or 18. Throw it out there. don't be timid.

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

I definitely cannot do it on the 19th. There is a possibility that I will be out of town on the 12th, which might also put me absent on the 11th. I have a 100 mile bike ride on the 5th, so our meeting would have to be late in the day. Doing this on a Friday after work might be better for me on those dates. It looks like the 11th is the only Friday where I possibly can't make it.

#20 TexasArch79

TexasArch79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

I would be up for meeting some of you guys, ill keep looking for updates. As for me, my schedule is pretty flexible.
Casey C.
Design Director
Member of UTA Construction Research Advisory Committee
Member of SteerFW Urban Development Task Force

#21 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:51 AM

September 12th will be the grand opening of the new Center for Architecture at 2pm for Gallery night. If John could be there it might make an appropriate meeting place.

#22 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

Thanks to all who were able to attend; it was a great time and nice to finally meet some of you. My pics were all underexposed so I hope the other guy with a camera (possibly the forum's best photographer) has something to share. Later!

#23 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:51 PM

Wow, that was horrible communication. I didn't know that the meet actually happened.

#24 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:08 PM

It didn't. Just my lame way of bringing the subject back into the foreground. It was meant to be... well, "funny" is probably too strong a word... perhaps a little sarcastic (but not at all in a bitter sort of way).

Anyway, remember: never take anything I type here too seriously.

Since we've passed the suggested dates without bothering to mingle (for my part, I showed up for all of them), how are the next few weeks looking?

#25 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:33 PM

Are we talking about a happy hour kind of thing? Or a weekend meeting somewhere, or what?

Maybe we could start up something like first Friday in Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct and rotate places like T&P tavern, Houston Street rooftop, Flying Saucer, etc. Maybe a Rahr Saturday meetup?

Just throwing an idea out there, since I'm looking forward to meeting some forum members and this thread contains a lot of indecision so far.

#26 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Urban Planning, Conservation, Sustainability, Transit-oriented-Development, Historic Preservation.<br /><br />Hiking, camping, reading, BBQing, photography, traveling

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:41 PM

I will be in town next week - starting Thursday the 1st in the late evening through Sunday the 4th in the afternoon. Would very much entertain dropping by a forum get-together! Rahr would be fun - it is about time I replace my old tattered hat!

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:05 PM

I know I have contributed to the indecision. I have been out of town quite a bit on the weekends and I have one more long weekend planned. However, evenings after work, Saturday evenings, and Sunday afternoons work for me. I think we should really try to set a weekend every quarter to have a forum meeting. The first Friday of every quarter would work out well for me but that first one of each year could fall on a holiday. Let's try to get something settled soon.

#28 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:28 PM

Any time any place. I have nothing going on in my life. (sad yes) So please pm me anytime. Thanks
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#29 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:42 AM

Then how about October 2nd, 6:30 - 7:00 PM-ish, "maybe earlier if that's what people need", somewhere downtown?

That would make it the 1st Friday of the 4 quarter, the next one would be 1 Jan 2010, perhaps some might be interested in hanging out that day, or not, but many would be off so an early afternoon get together might be fun, we could have a definite forum meet the following Friday, the 8th.

But since the 1st will be a day after the Blue Moon on the 31st, oh and New Years Eve, some may not be able to make it, totally understandable.

#30 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

Might not be able to do October 2nd evening - that's First Friday on the Green, and the day before the fall Arts Goggle. Figure I'll be pretty busy.

--

Kara B.

#31 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Sep 25 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think we should really try to set a weekend every quarter to have a forum meeting. The first Friday of every quarter would work out well for me but that first one of each year could fall on a holiday. Let's try to get something settled soon.

Not looking good for me to attend this time, but would like to put in my two cents, that I would like to see at least one of the 4 meetings in the year be on a weekend, so I can travel from Austin.

Thanks

GenE

#32 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (David Love @ Sep 26 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then how about October 2nd, 6:30 - 7:00 PM-ish, "maybe earlier if that's what people need", somewhere downtown?

That would make it the 1st Friday of the 4 quarter, the next one would be 1 Jan 2010, perhaps some might be interested in hanging out that day, or not, but many would be off so an early afternoon get together might be fun, we could have a definite forum meet the following Friday, the 8th.

But since the 1st will be a day after the Blue Moon on the 31st, oh and New Years Eve, some may not be able to make it, totally understandable.

I'm on board with this concept... occasionally do Saturdays instead of Fridays so we can involve more people. But I definitely think it is important to have something fairly predictable and easy to remember. I won't make the 10/2 meet (due to long-avoided wisdom teeth removal), but I think it is a good plan and will attend most future dates.

#33 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (Fort Worthology @ Sep 26 2009, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Might not be able to do October 2nd evening - that's First Friday on the Green, and the day before the fall Arts Goggle. Figure I'll be pretty busy.

Why not hold the forum meet at First Friday on the Green or the fall Arts Goggle?

#34 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

Not familiar with First Friday or Arts Google - do they have street addresses ?

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#35 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:20 AM

I figured AG would jump on this but I bet he's out getting ready for it.

Have you really not heard of Arts Goggle? If not you're in luck. I know a few people from this site will be presenting work. It should be a fun day!

Whamo to fortworthology

#36 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

Maybe the FWST will have a notice in their newspaper before the weekend. Thanks for the link. Looks like South Sides answer to the Main Street Arts Festival. South sides Arts Google appears more towards advertising awareness of local south side businesses.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#37 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

Arts Goggle is about indie artists, musicians, and supporting our local indie businesses, yes. It's less similar to Main Street Arts, more like a Gallery Night that you don't have to go all over creation to enjoy.

We have put a metric-crap-ton of work into this fall's edition and I hope everybody comes to enjoy the results.

--

Kara B.

#38 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

Had to visit our local Wikipedia to learn that the term 'indie' is referring to the term "independent". Maybe as artists and musicians not yet signed to commercial record companies or businesses.

I did not try to lookup the term 'metric- .....'

Sorry, it just take some of us older folks longer than others to catch up.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#39 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:21 PM

I think I'll also be attending some or all of the Downtown Design Review Board (DDRB) meeting on Thursday afternoon. They are discussing, among other things, the T&P Warehouse Project and the new proposed Downtown design standards: http://www.fortworthgov.org/uploadedFiles/Public_Meetings/2009/10/1001_DDRB.pdf

#40 817.TX.

817.TX.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Chevrolet Impalas Schwinns

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

This would be really cool to meet some other forum members!! Please keep me posted as I will contuinue to check this thread for updates on any future meets!! cool.gif
Born and Raised in Ft. Worth Texas.

Best believe I aint going no where!!

#41 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

TTT Did anything ever materialize? Name the time and place. Make sure it has beer :D
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#42 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

It never materialized. I'm bad about not having forum meetings, even though I would love to get together with as many of you as possible at a meeting.

#43 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

Let me know. indoor/outdoor. what ever.
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#44 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

Fall weather is much nicer for meets.

#45 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

I have been collaborating with Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum operator C. Troy Mathis to instigate a pan-forum inter-regional meetup. The call is out now for a time and location within the next 30 days, somewhere accessible by way of TRE. Who's ready?

#46 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

I'm ready, but I will be in and out of town.

#47 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

John, Troy was talking about making the meetup in Fort Worth and having his users ride the TRE over here. I think it is still fluid, but he is discussing it on his DFWU page on Facebook and on the forum itself. I'm sure your input would be appreciated.

#48 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

somewhere accessible by way of TRE.

The T&P Tavern is at the last stop of the Fort Worth end of the TRE. Great tavern, good food, nice patio.
My blog: Doohickie

#49 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

somewhere accessible by way of TRE.

The T&P Tavern is at the last stop of the Fort Worth end of the TRE. Great tavern, good food, nice patio.

The food was okay. But I didn't like the interior, didn't care for the metal chairs and tables, not as warm and comfortable a setting. More a sports bar atmosphere than a restaurant. Just my opinion, of course.

#50 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

Alternate suggestions are encouraged. We have people coming from Dallas, so somewhere on the TRE is ideal. I have the keys to the interurban at the ITC station that I can open for viewing. Also can probably get a tour of parts of the T&P Building. Meeting doesn't have a theme or agenda but is a chance for people to put names and faces together and share conversation about common interests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users