15 replies to this topic

#1 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:23 PM

Does this need to be in Surrounding Cities? Saks was never one of my favorite places to shop. It will be interesting to see who takes the space. conf.gif

Saks Closing Sept. 16 at North East Mall
By Connie Gore

HURST, TX-Two years after the announcement, Saks Inc. is ready to shutter a 100,000-sf store in North East Mall. The leased site opened in September 2000.

The New York City-based Saks plans to turn out the lights Sept. 16 on its only full-line, full-price store in Tarrant County. An Off Fifth Avenue shop appears firmly rooted at Grapevine Mills Mall about 12 miles to the northeast.

Saks officials couldn't be reached for comment about the upcoming box shutdown in the Simon Property Group Inc.-owned 1.64-million-sf regional mall at 1101 Melbourne Rd. In yesterday's press release, Saks CEO Steve Sadove says the 35 employees have been offered transfers to its Galleria store in North Dallas and suburban location in Plano or severance packages. He adds Saks, which remains "very committed" to Dallas/Fort Worth, plans to introduce merchandising changes at its other two stores as fill-in from the shutdown. Saks has 54 Fifth Avenue stores remaining in the portfolio.
"We have had great interest in the space," the Indianapolis-based Simon spokesman Les Morris tells GlobeSt.com. "Hopefully, we'll have a release in the not too distant future."

In October 2004, Saks said it planned to close 12 Fifth Avenue stores. The North East store, by virtue of traditional anchor retail leases, logically has several years left on its term, but it's a safe bet that a work-out has been cut or is in play. In its latest SEC filing, Saks reported it had $80 million in capital leases for properties and equipment on its disposition docket, requiring $6 million to $8 million annually in lease payments.

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:48 PM

Mall gets tenant to fill Saks space

By HEATHER LANDY
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

Dick's Sporting Goods is coming to North East Mall, filling the 100,000 square feet of space vacated this year by Saks Fifth Avenue.

Dick's, based in Pittsburgh, is aiming to open in Hurst in fall 2007, said Steve Bowden, the mall's general manager.

The retailer arrived in North Texas two years ago thanks to its acquisition of Galyan's Sports & Outdoors, which had stores in Arlington and Frisco. The North East Mall store will be the third Texas location for Dick's, which has nearly 300 stores in 34 states, primarily in the eastern U.S.

The chain carries a wide assortment of equipment, clothing and accessories.

Saks took the space in 2000 as part of the $200 million expansion of the mall, Tarrant County's largest traditional mall.

But the Birmingham, Ala.-based chain announced in 2004 that it would close the store, along with 10 other locations. The store closed this September.

#3 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:18 PM

That means that NorthEast Mall will have exactly the same anchors as Stonebriar in Frisco...
Nordstrom
macy*s
Dillard's
Dick's
JCPenney
SEARS

http://www.shopstone...redirectory.asp

Now... if they would only grace us with a Cheesecake Factory and a Dave & Busters... dry.gif

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:34 PM

D&B was rumored for the development replacing North Hills Mall at one point, but that project is such a mess that there's no telling what the final product will be.

The last time I was at the Rave at NE Mall there was a Ghengis Grill under construction between Carrabas and the theater. However, when I drove past this morning, it doesn't look like it's opened yet.

#5 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Dec 23 2006, 04:34 PM) View Post

D&B was rumored for the development replacing North Hills Mall at one point, but that project is such a mess that there's no telling what the final product will be.

The last time I was at the Rave at NE Mall there was a Ghengis Grill under construction between Carrabas and the theater. However, when I drove past this morning, it doesn't look like it's opened yet.

Question...
Do you think NE Mall could support a Neiman-Marcus or could Hulen or Ridgmar support a Nordstrom?

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

I think the old North Hills Mall site will become a vacant lot until the time is right for redevelopment.

I don't think NE Mall could support a Neiman Marcus. If Saks couldn't make it, why would Neiman's be successful? From appearances and from my architectural background, I think NE Mall is pretty much built out and there's nowhere left for an additional anchor unless an existing one closed.

I do think Hulen could support a Nordstrom. I know at one time, they were looking at putting a store in the mall. Since the NE Mall expansion was announced, I always thought that Saks and Nordstrom built in the wrong mall and they would have been much better served at Hulen.

#7 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:03 PM

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else think it's about time for Hulen to have a major renovation/expansion? Like, maybe demolishing the whole mall and building a fantastic mixed use urban development (haha, well, one can dream...) I know Hulen is planning a "lifestyle wing" and is upgrading its theater to a Movie Tavern, but I'd really like to see something more drastic done for the mall itself.

#8 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Dec 23 2006, 08:03 PM) View Post

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else think it's about time for Hulen to have a major renovation/expansion? Like, maybe demolishing the whole mall and building a fantastic mixed use urban development (haha, well, one can dream...) I know Hulen is planning a "lifestyle wing" and is upgrading its theater to a Movie Tavern, but I'd really like to see something more drastic done for the mall itself.

A lifestyle wing? Do you have details on this? Is Fort Worth finally getting a Crate & Barrel????

#9 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

Fort Worth needs an REI.

#10 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 25 December 2006 - 02:47 AM

I used to work for an REI. Great place to learn about THE OUTDOORS and conservation efforts on a local and international level. It's a Co-Op formation, so it truly rewards those working hard to make it a success.

Speaking of working hard, the "Hardest Working Man in Showbusiness" just died earlier today.

That's right, James Brown is DEAD.

COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#11 MetroCode

MetroCode

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Urban development, restoration of old neighborhoods, civic projects... i'm an engineer nerd!

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:37 AM

North Hills Mall was given the Destruco' Death Bell about a month ago in NRH. It was deemed structurally unsound due to mold, theft of items (Foley's 2 story side has half the escalator stolen so it's now a hole from the 2nd to the 1st floor. Graffiti and general mayhem over the last few years on the interior did the rest of the damage. The owners in CA have until the end of January to begin demolishing the entire thing.

My first job as a teen was at the Bag and Baggage store in that mall and in it's hayday was a very nice, quaint place to shop and work. I'd hate to see what has become of the interior now and only hope a great project comes out of it in the future...especially since i am now a resident of the NRH smile.gif
McConstruction Company
(817)377-4779 ext 35
General Contracting and Construction Management Services.

#12 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Dec 23 2006, 08:03 PM) View Post

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else think it's about time for Hulen to have a major renovation/expansion?

I couldn't agree more. It's not "bad" yet, but it is on its way. I'd like to see a complete makeover, and possibly something done to relieve congestion on Hulen. Maybe a second right turn lane at Hulen and Overton Ridge.

#13 Nancy B

Nancy B

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:53 PM

I remember when a food court went in at North Hills. It was around 1980. It was the first time I'd seen such a thing and recall thinking it was a super idea. There wasn't much around the mall, which was half-size at that point... just a lot of field and the freeway. I don't think NE mall was even there at that point. I left the area in 1981 and when I returned nine years later, the growth of NE mall and all the surrounding area had created the traffic problem that is now completely insane. I don't go that direction if I can help it.

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:05 PM

Leonard's (now Dillard's) opened their 2nd suburban location in 1971 near the corner of Cheryl Ave. and Melbourne Rd. When the Leonard's opened, grading work had just started on the mall itself. It opened in 1972 as an "L" configuration on one level with JCPenney and Stripling's as the other two anchors. The first time the mall was expanded was in 1980 when Sears was added on the inside corner of the "L" and Montgomery Ward was added between Stripling's and Dillard's. Several other expansions and demolitions have occurred over the years, leaving us with the mall as it exists today. The JCPenney store is the only original anchor still completely standing. A part of the old Dillard's building is still there, but most of it was demolished to building Foley's (now Macy's). The portion of the old Dillard's that is still standing is now between Macy's and the north/south portion of the mall. I belive The Gap takes up most of the upper level that is remaining.

#15 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:30 PM

I worked at both malls during high school and college. My first job was at Sanger Harris... then I worked at Polar Bear Ashburns Ice Cream in the NH Mall food court. After that I worked at Dillard's and finally for Zales (inside Dillard's... their fine jewelry dept was leased).

#16 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:49 PM

Dillard's at Hulen Mall has a stipulation in their lease that says any new major tenet along the lines of Dillard's has to be approved by Dillard's management.

They have nixed the idea of Nordstroms etc. from ever going there. That provision was put in the lease when Dillard's help fund the expansion in the 90's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users