#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:39 AM

This photograph is from my last additions from the Steve Brown Collection. I found this photo of what was originally constructed as the Reynolds Building to be very interesting. It was a five story building constructed in either the late 1800's or the early 1900's. It is still standing today, but it has been radically altered by removing all of the ornate detailing and cornice from the facade. The brick has also been stuccoed over and a new base put on the building. I will post below an early 1900's photo and a current shot and then we can discuss the building and the old photograph.

IPB Image

IPB Image

#2 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:36 PM

Who names their sons W.T. and W.T. Jr. these days? ohmy.gif rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif rotflmao.gif biggrin.gif

Cool pic, didn't know about that one. Interesting. Now if they could only "KICK OUT" that worthless Blimpie's in there. Never see anybody there (plus NO debit card use!), just wasting space and time for a REAL TENANT. IMO. smile.gif

Would love to see that building turn back into original form.

WOW! Del Frisco's was a taller building back then? dry.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:49 PM

I would like to see this building restored, also. However, it is incredibly difficult to remove stucco from a brick facade. Usually, the removal of the stucco takes the face of the brick with it.

The building behind it was called the Wheat Building and it has a rather interesting history. Only the basement of Del Frisco's is part of that original building. The ground level and mezzanine were part of an Art Deco remodeling project of what was left of the Wheat Building. Since the 30's, it has been remodeled at least two more times.

#4 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:53 PM

At least bring back that "headpiece". dry.gif

Does anyone know of a website which shows ALL of the existing (even refurbed) historical buildings and also allows the viewers to poll which should be brought back to it's original form? Scale of 1 through whatever.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#5 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Feb 12 2006, 03:36 PM) View Post

........ Now if they could only "KICK OUT" that worthless Blimpie's in there. Never see anybody there (plus NO debit card use!), just wasting space and time for a REAL TENANT. IMO. smile.gif

Yeah, like Subway. Yaaaay!!!

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Feb 12 2006, 03:53 PM) View Post

Does anyone know of a website which shows ALL of the existing (even refurbed) historical buildings and also allows the viewers to poll which should be brought back to it's original form? Scale of 1 through whatever.

As far as I know, such a site does not exist. Architecture in Downtown Fort Worth is probably the closest site to what you suggest. As for rating the buildings, if you feel you know enough about them, you can set up your own poll on this forum.

#7 Ricky

Ricky

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

At the risk of bring an old post back to the top of the list...

That's a great photo of the old Reynolds Building. It's great to see what it looks like back in the horse and carriage days. The caption doesn't date the photo, but maybe around 1910, give or take 5 or 10 years?, a guess based mainly on those horse drawn carriages. I haven't researched the building itself, but maybe it could be more accurately dated based on the Parker Drug Store addresses in the old city directories.

I didn't see an address in the caption or on other posts, so for anyone else, this building is located on the corner of Houston and 8th.

My interest in this building is mainly because of the Kuhlman & Blue company that existed from 1907 to about 1919 or so. Frederick M Kuhlman and George W Blue were partners in this company, and their houses still exist today, side by side in the Fairmount neighborhood. They were a paving company (among other types of jobs) and apparently they paved at least some of the streets around what is now considered the Near South Side. The address for Kuhlman & Blue is listed as "500 Reynolds Building" in 1909-1910. They moved to an office in the Flatiron Building in 1911.

Another thing interesting to me about this building is that George Q. McGown seems to have had his law offices in this building back around 1904 or so.

The Blimpie's is now gone and I think has been replaced with the locally owned, Four Star Coffee Bar.

Anyone else know of any other pieces of interesting history or tennants related to this building?

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

McGown's law office must have been one of the first tenants in the building because I have an opening year of 1903.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users