• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:06 AM

National political decisions and economic events often have consequences, potentially of an adverse nature, both at the national and local levels.  The president’s decision to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum could provoke a trade war.  An undesirable outcome could be higher costs for steel and aluminum.  If the Fed raises interest rates markedly that could result in tighter restrictions on borrowing to finance capital projects.  Even the uncertainty created by such events may have adverse consequences.  An indirect result locally might be a slowdown in construction.  Plans for new high-rise hotels, residential condos, and mixed-use projects in and around Fort Worth, might be put on hold indefinitely.

#2 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

It very well could have a huge impact on the construction business. That could cause quite a ripple effect on the job market.

#3 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:25 AM

Steel and aluminum tariffs imposed on EU, Canada, and Mexico today.

#4 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:28 AM

I'm beginning to feel more sanguine about Fort Worth's economic prospects in the near future despite whatever adverse consequences may occur nationally as a result of the current tariffs on trade with Europe, Mexico, and Canada (not to mention the effects of higher interest rates at home). The FWBP article below summarizing the state of downtown in 2017 paints an optimistic picture for 2018 and, perhaps, 2019.

What I'm getting at is that demand for commercial property construction in Fort Worth may (hopefully) outweigh construction cost considerations, if such arise as a result of the looming trade wars, at least in the short term.

http://www.fortworth...7fe787dc5e.html

• JBB likes this

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

Fort Worth fared well during the last economic downturn, but I worry that a lot of that was timing with respect to the natural gas boom.  I tend to agree that FW is well positioned again if things go south.  The circumstances are a little different this time around, so I'm not sure that past performance is a good indicator this time around.

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

I'm beginning to feel more sanguine about Fort Worth's economic prospects....

We can endure these times. 

The hopeful thing about Fort Worth is that it is smartly increasing its lifestyle sector.  Hospitality, residential and those service related sectors should buffer the City.  Fort Worth is still high on many lists as a wonderful place to live. Nothing that the current times can changed that unless it is a complete meltdown of the national economy; o f course, then everything is at risk.

#7 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:56 PM

I don't know about tariffs, but higher interest rates may begin to affect the pace of construction.  The article below zeroes in on a slowdown in the single-family and multi-family housing construction industry nationwide.

https://start.att.ne...ategory/finance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users