• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:13 PM

The church bldg from 1916 and a small frame house from 1930 are for sale at 400 Hemphill. I don't know the history of the church bldg but maybe some of you know.

Here's a link to the MLS listing:
http://www.texasmls....tingID=10690015

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:39 PM

Here's a little bit about the church from the main site, Architecture in Fort Worth:

The name of the church is Gustavus Adolphus Lutheran Church and it is a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark. This congregation organized as a Swedish Lutheran Church in 1905. The congregation hired Conrad Hoeffler to design their new building in 1906, but the construction was delayed until 1912 due to lack of funds. The contractor for the building was R.C. Sweeney. The building features a brown brick veneer with fine corbelling and projecting courses. The arched windows have stained glass in them. The church has a gabled roof with a square entry tower on the northeast corner.

Photograph:
IPB Image

#3 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

I drove by this yesterday just to look - got lots of crazy ideas for projects - got no $$ for projects --- anyway there is really no parking, basically the back yard. Don't know if any of the empty spaces around it belong to it or not. Looks really nice in the pix, but a little rough in person. Mind you I didn't go in of course.

But, while I was in the area, I drove over by Broadway Baptist Church, and there is an old church right next to it with No Trespassing signs on it. I assume it's empty. For some reason was thinking maybe it was call The Bridge at one point?? Does any know if BBC owns it. I would assume they do since it is right next door. Anyone have any info? It's a really pretty old church. I believe it's on the corner of Broadway and Galveston. Just curious. It's been a long time since I've really explored in that area.

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:39 PM

Suerto, the other building that you are referring, is the old Temple Beth-El. It was a large synagogue. They have relocated their facilities to a site over on Briarhaven Rd., just west of Hulen Street.

#5 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the info, John. I may have to drive by again just to look more carefully now that I know what it is.

#6 walton91

walton91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

The house next to the church is no more. Its been torn down.

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

They received permission to demolish the adjacent house from the Landmarks Commission a few months ago.

#8 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:29 AM

From what I understand, and this is all preliminary, the house was demolished for parking. The church will serve as office space for the company that now owns the building at the other corner of the lot, which I have heard they plan to fully restore and remove all that awful stone junk that's covering up all the windows.

--

Kara B.

#9 Lori

Lori

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Mar 13 2009, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I understand, and this is all preliminary, the house was demolished for parking. The church will serve as office space for the company that now owns the building at the other corner of the lot, which I have heard they plan to fully restore and remove all that awful stone junk that's covering up all the windows.

Is that what is still planned for this building? I work nearby and have noticed people coming and going for the past few days. I would love to see it restored, it is an amazing building, from the outside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users