• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

Spoke with Fuzzy's owner today and he said since last week's ST article things have picked up! This week's Weekly article should help as well. Today's lunch crowd was the busiest I've seen since Fuzzy's opened.

Jason, saw you outside of the Twighlight Room around 1:30, would've honked but didn't want to interrupt your conversation with the two people you were with!

#102 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, Sailing, Exotic cars, Aviation, My family, Travel<br />My Personal website www.jasonmiller.com

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Dec 14 2006, 12:32 AM) View Post

I was there about 6pm. Had the Pollo Ce- uh... Che... uh.... hmmm.... I had the creamed chicken dish. It was rich and mighty tasty. The plate was huge. My salad was a little bare, with only a lone tomato floating in a sea of iceberg and house dressing. But seeing as it was opening day, no problem.

One of the little things that I noticed and will appreciate immensely in the summertime is the large plastic beverage cups that they served my drink in. Nothing worse than wanting a big drink of iced tea in the summertime and having the waitress bring you a glass with walls as thick as a coke bottle bottom and three quarters full of ice.

The view was interesting out the window jutting into the Six Points Intersection. Somehow I felt a little safer with the concrete fountain in there. I think the view would look better with a streetcar passing on Belknap occasionally.

hey Andy,
It was nice meeting you at Race Street Tattoo Friday night. I enjoyed talking about your projects. I am checking about space and will get back to you soon.

Jason
Let me help you with your Real Estate needs
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#103 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:18 AM

Yeah, I had a good time Friday evening and Race Street is looking pretty sharp. Fuzzy's was great and the weather was nice for a stroll down the street. Whoda thunk a casual pedestrian on Race Street. I think it is close to hitting critical mass and we will have a great neighborhood restaurant area. Hopefully you and your neighboring business owners will start to see a payoff for all the hard work.

It's funny, I never would have realized that was you until I saw your car.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#104 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:42 AM

Searching for blue mirror, I remember the huge one at the old Swanky Shack and googled it. Didn't find the mirror, but found out about the urban village concept you guys are working on. I had noticed the face lift sometime ago, but wow, I am impressed! Riverside is due! Oakhurst has survived, and held onto it's glory. Hang in there, the Race to Race Street (yes you can use that!) is coming.

Having known Race Street for 50 plus years, (my dad had his business on Race for twenty years, Coke's Beauty Salon before moving to Belknap and Riverside Drive) I remember the drug store at six points, but the Rexall on Sylvania and Race was much easier to get to. Naturally the Tower was an important draw as was The Griddle System #11. The Tailless Monkey had it's day as did the Tropicana. Tarrant Printing grew up on Race to become a national printing facility and The Record Shop made it a lot longer than anyone would have expected. Ms. Lucy Bellah, 97, who along with husband Lacy ran the Riverside Drive cleaners bought the house new and still lives on Race.

Those who doubt the renewal of Race Street are wrong, these guys don't have far to go to surpass the old Race St standard! Forget all the rest, Race still has a bohemian energy and it always will! You have an eventual winner here Jason, stick to it, they will come.

The news that the building housing Hale's Costume Shop is going to be renovated (about 50 years overdue) is great to hear, finally! The Riverside Lanes had manual pin setters until I was 6 and there was a Slot Car Racetrack that no doubt will someday make a come back.

For everyone else, pass the word about this worth while endeavor . You can be proud for these guys when they make it happen, or you can help out by telling your friends, postman or dentist and share in that pride!

Finally, it recalling the yesterday's Race Street, I realize how much I miss it, I will be there before the week ends, to grab a bite, and see the work in progress.

Best of Luck,

Jeff Davis

#105 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music, photography, games, sci-fi.

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:02 PM

I've finally gotten over to Race St. to try Fuzzy's, and have wound up going back several times. Steph and I love it! The work on the street is looking great, too. I love the colorful, Miami-style look. We'll be back to Race Street a lot from now on!

As we were navigating about and checking things out, we stumbled across the Fort Worth Harvest Church, which is housed in a PAINFULLY COOL Streamline Moderne church building that looks straight out of Miami Beach. It was awesome!

- Architecture/urban planning/transit blogger, Fort Worth Weekly

Fort Worth District 9 Zoning Commissioner

#106 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

It appears the Swanky Shack is moving ahead once again and there's a sign for a sports bar opening soon next to Fuzzys.

#107 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:00 PM

What goes on at the Twilight Room?Also,which Tattoo shop has the best artists in that area?
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#108 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

Posted on Thu, Jul. 05, 2007
Five new restaurants coming to Race Street

By SANDRA BAKER
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Chef Paul Willis, creator of the popular Fort Worth restaurants Pedro's Trailer Park, Margie's Italian Kitchen and Fuzzy's Taco Shop, has formed a joint venture with developer Justin McWilliams to open five restaurants in the coming months on Race Street, off Belknap Street near the Oakhurst neighborhood.
Belknap Street was once a bustling business corridor and developers, like McWilliams, are returning to renovate and redevelop many of the vacant buildings. Another developer, Race Street Properties, is poised to take six buildings in the 2800 and 2900 blocks of Race Street and renovate them for shops and residences.

Willis' company, Hospitality Concepts of America, will set up the restaurants, create the menus, hire the chefs and train the staff. McWilliams' firm, Red Point Development, will handle the renovation of the buildings it owns for the restaurants, which have not been named.

"Twenty years on the west side, I didn't even know this [neighborhood] existed here," said Willis, once the executive chef at H3 Ranch in the Stockyards and Lucille's on Camp Bowie Boulevard. "For me, this is a dream. To do this in one spot is unusual."

The first restaurant will be a steakhouse in a renovated house at the southwest corner of Retta and Race streets. It should be open this fall, Willis said.

Next will be the renovation of a 20,000-square-foot building at the southeast corner of Retta and Race streets into a restaurant offering billiards and a rooftop patio. Directly across Race Street, in an old post office building, Willis said he plans a new-concept restaurant with a Cuban/South Beach flair. Next door to that, there will an Asian-fusion concept, offering sushi, but also Korean, Thai and Japanese dishes, he said.

Rounding out the list will be a Hawaiian barbecue restaurant in a location closer to the intersection at Race and Belknap streets.

Race Street, between Sylvania Avenue and Riverside Drive, has already been buzzing with new restaurants. A Fuzzy's Taco Shop, not owned by Willis, opened in January, and Swanky Shack, a sandwich and coffee shop, is expected to open any day, a couple doors down from Fuzzy's. It will be open from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily, and eventually for dinner, said Robert Rannabarger, whose wife, Lyn, owns the restaurant. Dino's Sports Bar and Grill will also be opening on the street.

#109 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:02 AM

That's great news, but if that guy started Margie's, he's one old mofo. That place opened in 1953.

#110 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

Margie's has changed hands several times. I think the family of the original owners were out of the picture in the mid to late 90s.

#111 MetroCode

MetroCode

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Urban development, restoration of old neighborhoods, civic projects... i'm an engineer nerd!

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:37 AM

My company 3rd parties most of the Race Street happenings like Fuzzy, Dinos (new sports grill), etc.
The guys over at Race Street Properties :: Misty, Jason and Robert bust their butts to get these going. I too spend many a hard earn dollar down there now on Race! I love the atmosphere and the change..way to go to everyone involved. On a side note, I bought a lovely banana costume from Hale's just 2 months ago::

IPB Image
McConstruction Company
(817)377-4779 ext 35
General Contracting and Construction Management Services.

#112 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

IPB Image

#113 carltodd

carltodd

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:29 PM

Anything new going on Race? I saw the "Twilight Room" sign is gone and the place was painted white. The big pink building is once again for lease too. It looks like that both Fuzzy's and Mamma Mia's are both doing good. I just hope things are not starting to slow down on Race St.

#114 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:42 PM

Was there the last couple days. Fuzzy is rockin and plenty of local DTFW business folks and what appeared to be some symphony musicians were enjoying the location. New "Austin style" bar coming in next to it and that shoould be opened in no time.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#115 carltodd

carltodd

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

It appears that the Swanky Shack has closed up.

#116 DustinAskins

DustinAskins

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:43 AM

sad.gif

Yup, Swanky Shack has closed...

I went over there to eat Wednesday and the door was open but the "Open" sign wasn't lit. I walked in and the place was empty. My heart sank, my favorite sandwich shop is gone...

I don't know who it was, but a guy inside told me the previous owners went out of business but that they were going to try and get someone else in there soon. Whoever it is, if their sandwiches are half as good and they properly advertise they should do a little better. I don't know what the previous owners were doing to advertise, but I never saw anything.

#117 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:07 AM

Yup, read the Thank You to our patrons sign last weekend, bummer...they did have great sandwiches and the biscuits and gravy and cinnamon buns were outstanding. We ate there several times but found it closed when we were certain they would be open. Hope to see it reopen as well! Just a thought, someone needs to bring Strawns over here from Shreveport - it'd be a great fit for Race St. I'm certain there's plently of old school baking talent in the Riverside area to make those Southern Living famous ice-boxed pies on a daily basis.

On a good note, the green development across the street is starting to take shape - the two story building has new windows, sheetrock on the first floor and a stacked rock facade being put in place on the front side. Also, they've repainted the "Twilight Room" building that had the nasty blue/purple painted brick.

#118 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music, photography, games, sci-fi.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:28 AM

Ami G's Key West Lounge (or something to that effect) is headed into the old Swanky Shack space.

- Architecture/urban planning/transit blogger, Fort Worth Weekly

Fort Worth District 9 Zoning Commissioner

#119 carltodd

carltodd

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

It also looks like they are building something behind Fuzzy Taco.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users