2 replies to this topic

#1 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:59 AM

"Searched for an appropriate thread in vain; so posting here".

Reporting an AP wire in the Fort Worth Business Press, the U.S. Army is seeking proposals for the location of its next  Command Center.  15 cities, including 3 in Texas have been contacted.  Fort Worth is not among them; unless its status is as a subset of Dallas.

Austin, Dallas and Houston are apparently under consideration.  

I think the odds are in favor of Houston for the obvious reasons that it has a large concentration of engineers (Space Center); it has three prominent research universities within its region (Texas A&M, U of Houston, and Rice); its has of course the largest and easily recognized world class Medical Center; and then it is the national center for all things chemical.

Really, I don't understand completely why Austin is always included for consideration; just my opinion.  I don't believe that Dallas + (Tarrant County) is in much of a position to be a serious contender. However, it is what it is.

The factors -http://www.fortworth...86c488c6a3.html

#2 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:28 AM

This report from Channel 5 goes into more detail.
Dallas Among 15 Cities Considered for Army's Futures Command Headquarters
https://www.nbcdfw.c...-480406833.html

#3 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:08 AM

I know the military is already pretty well distributed, but I heard an idea recently that to help struggling cities, the federal government should relocate major non-political agencies out of DC.  Think of the NIH Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta.  No reason that needs to be in DC, right?  What about HUD?  Dept of Interior?  Why do they need to have a huge presence in DC?

Move them to rust belt cities.  It will revitalize them and provide stability to spur new development while alleviating traffic and lowering the cost of housing in the DC area.

My blog: Doohickie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users