9 replies to this topic

#1 Peter JR

Peter JR

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:45 PM

I am trying to get in touch with the heirs of the renowned Kleinschmidt's Bakery.

My wife and her sister worked there about 30 years ago. My wife is a great cook, and she frequently mentions the cookies and breads she sold there. If I had a nickel for every time she said "I wish I had their dark rye recipe" or something along those lines....

My wife loves cookbooks, and I have been able to find her some obscure and novel books. I would really like to get her something from this old bakery. I have to imagine that somewhere there is something left from the days of the bakery in an attic or storage.

I understand that the son was named Larry Kleinschmidt and has moved from the area. I also understand that their was an aunt name Marie Roberts that does not live in Fort Worth.

If anyone knows something about relatives/friends/acquaintences of the Kleinschmidts, I would appreciate the leads.

I may be contacted via forum or by emailing pricca@riccachemical.com

#2 krob

krob

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:19 AM

I remember that place. Here is a shot of the building where it was located shortly before it was demolished. . .

http://www.pbase.com.../39712936/large

#3 isshin68

isshin68

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

I remember the bakey on 7th...by the theater...parents got me a cake there for birthday...one of the places I wish had never closed...have not found a bakery in FW near as good...forget the chain supermarket ones...they can't bake a cake..

#4 Woodsher

Woodsher

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hi Peter JR,

What a wonderful bakery! I grew up in Crestwood and was taken to Kleinschmidt's many times over the years. I would LOVE to find their recipe for those fruit bars.... some come close but never, never as good. As I recall everything they made was top-notch.

In my youth I moved to New Orleans and began my career as a fine artist. Over the twenty years of living there, a trip to Fort Worth was not complete without a purchase at the bakery. I'd take it back and horde it in the freezer...LOL.

Oddly recently, I have discovered it is hard to recall smells... colors no problem, sounds, maybe... but smells are difficult. But just now I clearly remembered the smell of those fruit bars...

If anyone has the old recipes and the rights to the name, "Kleinschmidts" they are setting on a gold mine. Bet there's several hundred people (if not more) on the Westside who miss it and would be overjoyed to purchase from a new Kleinschmidt's... on a regular and frequent basis. Just as my mother did through the 50s & 60s.

Well, I hope you found you memorabilia! If not I wish you good fortune in your search.

An aside.... There's a marvelous little grill in New Orleans that harkens back to the mid 20th century. It's full of unfeigned classic Americana atmosphere and always a treat to experience. Right on the streetcar line at the River Bend where Saint Charles Ave. turns onto Carrolton Ave., it has been a landmark for many decades. After Katrina it closed and was not going to reopen. People were devastated. The front of the old building became covered with notes and letters begging them to reopen. Apparently Emeral Lagasse pledged to fund it if someone would run it without any changes and rehire those great old cooks and waiters... so it was opened just like it had never closed. People literally fall in love with such institutions and morn their loss. Every once in a blue moon an Angel comes along... this time it was Emeral Lagasse and his partner. Could be a hallmark movie, Fosure...LOL!

Progress doesn't always mean we have to destroy something to bring in the 'new'... but often that's what happens. Since moving back from those many years in New Orleans, there has been much lost in Fort Worth. Being a life long artist and a romantic soul, I feel the loss keenly but hope new classics in architecture and treasured places are added to this fine city. …I have some ideas… Hummm, where's my sketchbook...

Thanks, Tommy

#5 EwingFTW

EwingFTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

In the 1940s, Kleinschmidt's was located in the 3000 block of Hemphill
next to the Safeway Store and across the street from the Berry (White) Theater.
In the early morning their front door was open with a locked screen door,
but they were nice enough to open up to provide the Star-Telegram boys a
pastry after they finished delivering the morning paper.

#6 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Thanks, Tommy

Welcome to the Forum Tommy!

#7 malibu65

malibu65

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

I can remember as a kid my Mother taking me to that bakery every birthday in the 50's. We would drive all the way from Richland Hills to West 7th Street. I would always get a chocolate cake with white icing with cowboys and Indians on top or a circus scene or race cars. Then we would stop at Ashburn's ice cream on East rosedale or Denton Hwy to get those delicious neopolitan{not sure about the spelling} bars. What a birthday it was.
Every time my kids birthday came around I wished I could have shared those same moments with them. Another treasure that is gone forever.

#8 Doug

Doug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth<br>Tennis

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

I can remember as a kid my Mother taking me to that bakery every birthday in the 50's. We would drive all the way from Richland Hills to West 7th Street. I would always get a chocolate cake with white icing with cowboys and Indians on top or a circus scene or race cars. Then we would stop at Ashburn's ice cream on East rosedale or Denton Hwy to get those delicious neopolitan{not sure about the spelling} bars. What a birthday it was.
Every time my kids birthday came around I wished I could have shared those same moments with them. Another treasure that is gone forever.

#9 Doug

Doug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

I see Larry K some as he lives near the old place that was on Hemphill. He regularly attents the flea mkt at the cattle barn at WRC on Sats and Suns.

#10 Doug

Doug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

In the 1940s, Kleinschmidt's was located in the 3000 block of Hemphill
next to the Safeway Store and across the street from the Berry (White) Theater.
In the early morning their front door was open with a locked screen door,
but they were nice enough to open up to provide the Star-Telegram boys a
pastry after they finished delivering the morning paper.

Yea, it was down near the end of the strip near the Rockyfeller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users