Photo
- - - - -

Should White Settlement Road get a new name?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mackdoyle

mackdoyle

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:40 PM

What do you think about renaming White settlement Road? We live on it and I have to say I am getting tired of the cable/phone/utility customer service representative double taking every time I give them my address. I do know the history of White Settlement, no need for that history lesson, but I do feel it's just a little trashy for an area that is such a hot spot for development right now.

I noticed that on the plat of Monticello I received during my residential purchase, that it used to be called Lake Worth Blvd. Maybe it could revert to that? Anyway, I opened this thread to see what you think, so please voice your opinion.

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,921 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:37 AM

Lake Worth Blvd. has already been given to the section of TX 199 that passes through the City of Lake Worth. I would think that two main streets on the same side of the city would probably be very confusing. Since the road no longer goes through from Fort Worth to White Settlement, I guess the name could be changed. However, the citizens of White Settlement voted to keep the name of the town the same, even considering the history and the origin of the town. I say to leave the name the same, unless and overwhelming majority of property owners along the street want to change it.

Welcome to the forum.

#3 Texas Super

Texas Super

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:High Rise, Sports Facility, Educational, Residential, and Commercial Construction. Motorcycle riding in the Texas Hill Country and Arkansas.

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(mackdoyle @ Dec 15 2006, 04:40 PM) View Post

What do you think about renaming White settlement Road? We live on it and I have to say I am getting tired of the cable/phone/utility customer service representative double taking every time I give them my address. I do know the history of White Settlement, no need for that history lesson, but I do feel it's just a little trashy for an area that is such a hot spot for development right now.

I noticed that on the plat of Monticello I received during my residential purchase, that it used to be called Lake Worth Blvd. Maybe it could revert to that? Anyway, I opened this thread to see what you think, so please voice your opinion.

How about renaming it to "Your Name Here Politically Correct Settlement Because We Are Ashamed Of Our Heritage And No Longer Have A Backbone And Dont Want To Risk Ever Offending Anyone By Our Existance Cowardshipville" Sorry, Im sure that will offend someone and im sure your intent was to try and do the right thing to make everyone feel they are welcomed in your community but we have to stop apologizing and giving our rights and country away to people who see us as weak kneed, spinless, oversensitized to the point we will change our names and give our land away so we can be the good guys and not the bad guys they have tried to make us feel guilty for being. Go to another country and ask them to do the right thing and change the names of all the towns that you personally feel uncomfortable with and send me the new map so I will know the new names of those places if I decide to visit.

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:15 PM

I think it could be shortened to "Settlement Road" without upsetting anybody, except maybe the residents of White Settlement.

#5 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:26 AM

I voted in White Settlement election. First, its offensive to think that the name is trashy. If the cable people have trouble with the name of the street you live on....MOVE! I said it once and I will say it again...As we all know the history of White Settlement...yes it had to do with the people being white...BUT I dont see a sign anywhere in the area(I own a home in White Settlement as well as in Crestwood...you know your neigbor to the North) that says people who arent fair skinned and trashy and missing teeth cannot enter...

#6 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Storm Photography<br />Storm Chasing<br />EMS<br />and<br />I love great architecture

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:35 AM

With my family living in White Settlement dating back to 1930’s, My grandmother always told me that the name originated because, west (current day) metroplex was the boundary of settlers and the Apache territory to the west (also learned in college TX history). The reason that I say this, I am for keeping the name! I agree 100% with “TEXAS SUPER”. The families that did settle along the boundary and tried to make an honest living were often subjected to brutal attacks resulting in kidnappings and some times torture from the Apaches. Settlements were needed because the more numbers you had in a particular area, the less chances of attacks.

Enough of my history lessons…… Sorry! unsure.gif

I guess a simple, keep the name for historical reasons would have been sufficient. cool.gif

Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#7 WESTHMESS

WESTHMESS

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:29 PM

I've seen too much of our heritage given away already. Ft. Worth is and always has been a very proud town. I think we should quit trying to change it and revel in its history. Just my thoughts on it. I was born and raised here. smile.gif

#8 rriojas71

rriojas71

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE(Perkins @ Jan 3 2007, 11:35 AM) View Post

The families that did settle along the boundary and tried to make an honest living were often subjected to brutal attacks resulting in kidnappings and some times torture from the Apaches. Settlements were needed because the more numbers you had in a particular area, the less chances of attacks.

I guess a simple, keep the name for historical reasons would have been sufficient. cool.gif

Well we all know that none of the Apaches were brutally attacked, kidnapped, or tortured. Let's just say they were eliminated. That would be the more politically correct description.

But in all honesty, changing the name of a street doesn't change the mindset of the people.

#9 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(WESTHMESS @ Jan 4 2007, 01:29 AM) View Post

I've seen too much of our heritage given away already. Ft. Worth is and always has been a very proud town. I think we should quit trying to change it and revel in its history. Just my thoughts on it. I was born and raised here. smile.gif

When you say "heritage", what exactly do you mean in this context?

#10 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

I typically am not for renaming roads that have names with some historic significance, however this is an exception. White Settlement Road no longer goes to White Settlement. The JRB cuts it off.
I would be happy to see a good new name replace the current one.

And, yes, it is a bit cowardly to change it because it might offend someone, however to be honest, I would not want a business card bearing the address "White Settlement Road".

#11 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:55 PM

Technically, I believe that the section of White Settlement Road east of the JRB does in fact reach White Settlement.

For my part, I'm about as liberal as they come, and I can't imagine any good reason to be embarrassed by the name. It just is what it is, it was never a gesture of hate or racist intent.

#12 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Storm Photography<br />Storm Chasing<br />EMS<br />and<br />I love great architecture

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(rriojas71 @ Jan 8 2007, 12:02 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Perkins @ Jan 3 2007, 11:35 AM) View Post

The families that did settle along the boundary and tried to make an honest living were often subjected to brutal attacks resulting in kidnappings and some times torture from the Apaches. Settlements were needed because the more numbers you had in a particular area, the less chances of attacks.

Well we all know that none of the Apaches were brutally attacked, kidnapped, or tortured. Let's just say they were eliminated. That would be the more politically correct description.

But in all honesty, changing the name of a street doesn't change the mindset of the people.

The mindset of the people? I am confused on who (or what) mind is set?
Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#13 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:39 AM

I guess the opinion of the people who live in W.Settlement (vote), is what you are saying. I had forgotten that they had voted... Been a rough week!

Sorry, my coffee is just now feeding to the brain. huh.gif
Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#14 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:56 PM

so if you lived in whiteboro and there was a street there named whiteboro street you would be ashamed to have your name associtated with it? Seems like a strange way of thinking but everyones entitled....

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,921 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:42 PM

Cbellomy, I checked a couple of maps, and the eastern section of White Settlement Road never enters the White Settlement City Limits. The city limit boundary is several blocks to the south of the street as it enters the JRB.

#16 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Jan 10 2007, 08:42 PM) View Post

Cbellomy, I checked a couple of maps, and the eastern section of White Settlement Road never enters the White Settlement City Limits. The city limit boundary is several blocks to the south of the street as it enters the JRB.

Since it is a major east-west artery, and will become more so when/if the TRV is realized, and since it no longer reaches the city of White Settlement, AND further, since the traditional name of the air base that once honored a local WWII hero (see http://www.globalsec...y/carswell.htm) now has a generic government-speak name, I suggest renaming White Settlement Road Carswell Street.

#17 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

White Settlement Road still goes to White Settlement -- the new Sam's Club and Wal-Mart are technically in White Settlement.

But I see no reason Fort Worth should promote the name of some other town.

I still suggest shortening it to "Settlement Road" or polling residents and businesses for suggestions.

Correct me if I'm wrong -- the property owners can petition for a name change if they want, right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users