8 replies to this topic

#1 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:59 PM

For anyone that enjoys hiking and/or camping, and has thoughts of heading out to Big Bend anytime soon, here is a great site that I've been on for a while which can answer most questions relating to that area of Texas:
www.bigbendchat.com

If you haven't experienced the area of Texas West of the Pecos you are really missing out on some of the most remote and beautiful land in the U.S. I'll admit, I'm a little biased since I'm from Alpine originally and I have property West of Marfa which I visit as often as possible. But still...

#2 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:48 PM

I would be VERY VERY motivated to go , IF we had a horseback riding and camping scenario. With a guide of course.

I'll DO THE COOKIN!

BIG fan of West Texas landscape and culture. Especially love those road stops along I-10. Desert is quite REMARKABLE and full of sooo much natural habitat that is just dying to help us alleviate certain diseases and illnesses.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#3 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

dying to help us alleviate certain diseases and illnesses

?

The essence of self sacrifice?

?

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:32 PM

I will be heading to Big Bend next week, with plans to stop in many cities along the way. I am very excited.

I did not realize until I started researching the park that Amon Carter played a big part in its founding. Truly a fantastic man. 

https://www.nps.gov/...lture/tgttn.htm

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

I will agree that Amon Carter was a fantastic man.  Even though we have a lot of civic boosters and philanthropists here today, I sometimes wish that we had someone like him today. 

If you take US 67 and US 385 directly to Big Bend and stop in all of the towns along the way, you will add a significant amount of time to your trip out there.  The same would apply if you went to the Davis Mountains first.  Over the last few years, I have been out there a lot to ride bicycles, so I can give you a lot of tips, if you are interested.

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

The plan is definitely to take 67, we will be staying in San Angelo for a few days for a baseball tournament. I'm excited to see Brownsville along that route.

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'm guessing you mean Brownwood.

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

I always miss that up.

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

If you look back at the old threads, you can see that we did a Forum Field Trip to Brownwood 12 years ago, in 2005.  It is an interesting town, as is San Angelo.  Since you are attending a baseball tournament for a few days, then my tip on taking longer to get to Big Bend by going down U.S. 67 doesn't apply.  The last time I drove that way, it added more than 2 hours to my time in getting out there. 

The scenery inside Big Bend National Park is breathtaking.  There are many locations out there that offer views of the stars that are also breathtaking because of the dark skies.  You won't find city lights hampering your views out there. The Davis Mountains are also spectacular.  A trip to the McDonald Observatory is also worth it at night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users