Photo
- - - - -

XTO Energy moving 1,600 employees to The Woodlands, selling six of seven buildings.

Downtown

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#101 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

Gotta wonder how great the Woodlands relocation is looking right now.

... So why put another part of its business vulnerable to floodings . Houston area flooding is more common by storms than a downtown Fort Worth tornado. If Exxon ever wanted to leave the HQ in Plano. I highly doubt they would move to Houston.

Even though the XTO relocation was difficult for Fort Worth to accept, it is understandable from a business point of view that Exxon would want to consolidate its business in one locale.  A large concentration of refineries, petro chemical businesses, the ship channel makes Houston the ideal place for energy companies.

This consolidation works across industries.  It is why I never believed that American Airlines would relocate to Downtown Dallas or other even Downtown Fort Worth when its key airport is DFW, its training and maintenance is concentrated in DFW; and flight center is at DFW; or that the Motion Picture Studios choosing to be concentrated in Hollywood.

What does not make sense is Exxon's administrative arm remaining in Irving and being a great distance away from its operational support and infrastructure..

#102 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

Gotta wonder how great the Woodlands relocation is looking right now.

... So why put another part of its business vulnerable to floodings . Houston area flooding is more common by storms than a downtown Fort Worth tornado. If Exxon ever wanted to leave the HQ in Plano. I highly doubt they would move to Houston.

Even though the XTO relocation was difficult for Fort Worth to accept, it is understandable from a business point of view that Exxon would want to consolidate its business in one locale.  A large concentration of refineries, petro chemical businesses, the ship channel makes Houston the ideal place for energy companies.

This consolidation works across industries.  It is why I never believed that American Airlines would relocate to Downtown Dallas or other even Downtown Fort Worth when its key airport is DFW, its training and maintenance is concentrated in DFW; and flight center is at DFW; or that the Motion Picture Studios choosing to be concentrated in Hollywood.

What does not make sense is Exxon's administrative arm remaining in Irving and being a great distance away from its operational support and infrastructure..

Come on. I know why we have oil tankers and such in Houston. You did not think I expected oil tankers to dock in Fort Worth ? Office staff can keep that part of the gas company business going here in Fort Worth. Or heck even if XTO moves to Dallas, Plano or Oklahoma City. When. Not if. When the next flood comes. If anything. This sad situation MAKES Volare point. I don't know how Woodland made out in this storm. But it is business as usual with the staff at XTO in downtown Fort Worth. 

#103 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

This consolidation works across industries.....What does not make sense is Exxon's administrative arm remaining in Irving and being a great distance away from its operational support and infrastructure..

Come on. I know why we have oil tankers and such in Houston. You did not think I expected oil tankers to dock in Fort Worth ? Office staff can keep that part of the gas company business going here in Fort Worth. Or heck even if XTO moves to Dallas, Plano or Oklahoma City. When. Not if. When the next flood comes. If anything. This sad situation MAKES Volare point. I don't know how Woodland made out in this storm. But it is business as usual with the staff at XTO in downtown Fort Worth. 

Obviously, the administrative tasks can be performed at any distance with today's technology but reducing or eliminating travel expenses goes to the bottom line.  If a local oil gas engineer or supplier to the refinery or other support infrastructure can meet with administration in 1-2 hours instead of requiring suppliers to take overnight travel, then the efficiency of this process makes sense. 

I don't think it is fair to evaluate The Woodlands decision on the impact of a storm.

#104 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

I don't think it is fair to evaluate The Woodlands decision on the impact of a storm.

No, that's just the icing on the cake.

My blog: Doohickie

#105 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

No, that's just the icing on the cake.

"the cake?" :huh:

#106 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

In other words, the decision to move was bad even before Harvey.

#107 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:09 PM

In other words, the decision to move was bad even before Harvey.

And heaven forbids if the next notable company relocation to Fort Worth is ravaged by a troop of F-5 tornadoes, is the decision bad even before such a climatic event? 

I believe like Volare that Fort Worth is more livable than most other places, but weather is an equal opportunity doer of calamity.

#108 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:05 PM

but weather is an equal opportunity doer of calamity.

No it's not. It varies with geography.

#109 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

but weather is an equal opportunity doer of calamity.

No it's not. It varies with geography.

Interesting proposition; you have that argues somehow that North Texas is a zone free climatic catastrophe region.

All geography is susceptible to climatic events and  would have its own particular risk.

So what calamity do you think is the best scenario?

#110 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:45 AM

I didn't say it was immune, just that the risk varies with geography.  Please stop putting words in my mouth.

#111 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

Swift building is for lease

https://www.transwes.../swift-building

I understand it was already sold, perhaps new owner is just an investor and not an occupier.

#112 David_H

David_H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

Acording to the flyer, the building is 36,000 SF but they are only leasing 13,000 of it, which is the first floor. Also the available date is August 2018.

It will be interesting to see what ends up there - it’s a really nice building in a cool location.

#113 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

How about Fred's Texas Cafe - Stockyards?

#114 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

I didn't say it was immune, just that the risk varies with geography.  Please stop putting words in my mouth.

I offered a reply to what you were possibly inferring, but I did not put any words in your mouth.

Read Post#108

I took the responsibility of citing risks such as tornadoes as an example of calamity particular prevalent in North Texas which also acknowledges that as weather is universal, so are risks associated with weather.

"risk varies by geography" sounds like a quip which then sounded to me as an argument "that having your home destroyed by a tornado or a wild fire is preferable to having your home destroyed by a hurricane/flood and that the risks can be ranked even when the results are the essentially the same.

#115 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:45 AM

I'm not an expert on site acquisition/corporate relocation decision-making, but I would suspect that weather ranks far below other factors such as taxation, infrastructure, and land availability.  Of course the potential flooding from rainfall was probably a topic of discussion prior to the development of the Woodlands corporate campus, but probably not a deciding factor.

What concerns me is what a Nationwide insurance investigator told me the other day.  He said a lot of property owners in the Houston area don't have flood insurance.  Surprised me!

#116 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

Most property owners don't carry flood insurance in most parts of the country.  Come Friday, the ones that do will still get hosed by insurance companies by a new law signed by Abbott.  That new law limits consumers ability to hold insurance companies accountable for bad faith claims practices or slow pay claims.  Used to be able to obtain a verdict that included damages and interest for such claims practices.  Not anymore.  Flood, tornado, hail, wind victims all over the state have been sold out to the insurance lobby that cares nothing about policy holders except the premiums. 

#117 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

A lot of homeowners don't carry it, especially when it is optional. Most mortgage lenders will require it if your property is drawn up in a flood map.

Youngalum, I think flood insurance is not entirely part of that same monster. Isn't it backed through the National Flood Insurance Program? If your carrier is dragging their feet and otherwise, that would probably hold up the NFIP claims though.

I wasn't too fond of that new law either. I think it was a really poor solution and/or reaction to some of the supposedly frivolous roofing lawsuits that came up recently. A whole lot of our representatives sure did jump on the insurance companies bandwagon. Too bad the not enough voters will remember come election day. Nothing new...

Erik France

#118 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

Yes, the law will apply to just normal homeowner's insurance policies.  I did have flood insurance thru Allstate one time but dropped it after my house was removed from needing it and it was much cheaper than thru the national program--but I'm almost positive it was backed by it of course.

Yes, many will not have the issues to be faced by the new law on flooding b/c of no coverage.  It is the wind damage folks that are going to have issues. 

It is throw the baby out with the bath water type of law.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users