Photo
- - - - -

Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Downtown Office New Construction Bennett Benner Partnership Frost Tower 640 Taylor

• Please log in to reply
675 replies to this topic

#451 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:34 PM

This is my latest photograph of the Frost Tower construction.  It was taken on Saturday, September 16, 2017.  The form work will contain the pour of the main roof slab.  The building is near full height with only the 26th Mechanical floor to go.

36958777190_12647bf2ca_h.jpgfrostconst-23 by jtrobert, on Flickr

Here is a shot of the skyline taken today showing the columns going up on the 26th level and you can see its height in relationship to 500 W. 7th (Bank of America).  That building is the light colored one just to the right of the Frost Tower in the photo.  You can see that it is clearly taller than the 273' tall building.

36958962090_ef267e1614_h.jpgpenn-skyline by jtrobert, on Flickr

#452 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:42 PM

I believe I am referring to the 18-story brown-brick building at the northeast corner of Lamar and 7th Street.  When I line the two buildings up at a vantage point farther south on Lamar it appears that they are on a level plane at their tops.  I suppose this is more an optical ilusion, but the point made about floor-to-height differences is well taken.

Clearly an optical illusion. Frost tower is definitely much taller from almost every angle than the BOA building and the electrical building was is dwarfed as you get to an angle that show them equidistant from each other.

#453 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

This may not be the best angle, but it's pretty obvious from the Amon Carter Museum how tall the Frost Tower is currently.  Even though the forms are there for the main roof deck, there is still one more level to go.  Here's that view from the Carter, and you can see the building is taller than Bank of America and even the Electric Building, even though that one is mostly hidden.

37099427536_a40e6b5054_h.jpgskyline-09-16-17 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#454 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

From my viewpoint on Daggett, about directly due south of Frost tower, only the top three floors stick out above the Bank of America building. It also blocks everything west of the crane tower. It has been interesting watching it climb up.

Erik France

#455 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

Glass installation has moved one floor up and they have installed most of the glass on the 2nd office level.  However, since my last photograph from Penn Street showed the forms in place to pour three columns on the 26th level, I decided to take this construction photo from 3rd Street.  You can clearly see the form for one of the exterior columns above the main roof line.  This photograph was taken on September 23, 2017.

37225788746_7d3d931b8f_h.jpgfrostconst-24 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#456 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:24 PM

That adds a nice bit of height to cap it off. 

#457 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:14 PM

I don't know if any of you noticed this, but the west side of the 26th floor/roof screen aligns with the cantilever floor slab on the north wall.

#458 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:55 PM

The columns are up mostly around the perimeter of the roof screen.  The more I'm looking at these columns, the more I am realizing that there will not be a concrete roof slab poured on top.  I'm now beginning to think this is just a roof screen.  I did get out far enough from downtown today to see that the elevator core has been poured for a short level on top of the roof.  I can't tell if this is the top of the elevator overrun, or there will be a machine room on top of this.  Here's another view of the building from the northwest showing the columns on top.  More of the forms have been removed on the parapet.  The photo was taken on September 30, 2017.

37390111242_3501ed866f_h.jpgfrostconst-25 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#459 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

A couple I shot over the weekend

DLA9M6lUQAAgmTA.jpg

DLA9KClVYAAoug9.jpg

#460 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

I was attending a meeting at Historic Fort Worth, Inc. (1110 Penn St.) at lunch and while coming in on I-30, I happened to notice that the Frost Tower definitely has an elevator overrun sitting on the roof.  This penthouse also has a stair run up to the roof, as well.  This is required by the building code.

#461 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:18 PM

This is the latest construction photograph taken from the northwest, again.  I took this photo on October 7, 2017.  The curtain wall installation has moved one floor up since last week.

37582415601_53fa3a503c_h.jpgfrostconst-26 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#462 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:06 PM

One more floor of curtain wall has been installed and the rooftop mechanical unit has been put in place.  I took a poor photograph with my cell phone yesterday from the east that caught the rooftop equipment, but I decided to go back this afternoon to take one from the northwest.  I am not far enough back to catch the rooftop equipment.

37722294441_0fc440b27e_h.jpgfrostconst-27 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#463 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

Here's this weekend's photograph of the Frost Tower.  The curtain wall is continuing to move up and the parking garage screen is being installed on the north side of the building.  The most important thing is that beams have been installed between the columns that are on the roof.  Also, some vertical supports for the curtain wall have been installed at the edge of the roof parapet.  These minor columns have been braced back to the main structural concrete columns.  It appears that this building is now at full height.  Still not seen from this close up is the actual rooftop penthouse that houses the core elements. As the building now has its final form and a lot of the curtain wall has been installed, does anyone have any impressions?  I always like to wait until the building is complete before I express my opinions, but if anyone wants to talk about the appearance, you are welcome to reply.

37819419206_8a17779d8e_h.jpgfrostconst-28 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#464 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

I think this is going to be a very nice addition to downtown once complete. I really like how the glass installed so far takes on a different look depending on the angle you're viewing it from or the lighting conditions. For lack of a better term, I like the "context" of the building. It blends in well in the skyline without being hidden. It makes an impact from the different angles that I've seen it. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it interacts with its surroundings on the street level.

#465 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

I just took a photo 

DM_oTZyVwAAePPn.jpg

#466 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:14 PM

Over the last week, or so, I had a cold.  I missed last weekend taking progress photos of the Frost Tower construction.  However, I did make it back downtown for a few minutes this afternoon.  Here is the current photo of the construction.  The picture was taken on November 5, 2017.

37486348764_cc9f2b294b_h.jpgfrostconst-29 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#467 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:46 PM

Skyline view from the northside

DN59A2kVoAAMs3L.jpg

#468 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

Just about two months after glass hit the office levels, it has now reached the roof.

GQfw2DQ.jpg

#469 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

Here is my latest construction photo taken on November 18, 2017.  The curtain wall installation is up to the roof on the west side, now.  If you look on the office portion of the building, you can see some horizontal metal bands that align vertically on each floor.  On the last level, the curtain wall is different.  That will eventually be a "square" where the Frost snowflake logo is supposed to go.  I don't know if the signage for the top of the building has been approved or not, or whether they are still planning to put a logo up there.  This same "square" is also being placed on the east side of the building.

26754636849_25f16d0565_h.jpgfrostconst-30 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#470 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

That glass is really reflective! :blink:

-Dylan

#471 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

That glass is really reflective! :blink:

"...me thinks so too"

#472 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:24 PM

I was downtown today with perfect weather and skies for photography.  I took this week's construction photograph of the Frost Tower.  The "square" at the top of the building is now clearly evident.  Work at the lowest level is progressing and I also noticed that the flat work on the sidewalk and street has started around the building.  Most of the metal screen has now been installed on the parking garage.  The west side is still the most lacking.  This photo was taken on November 24, 2017.

38568856626_d4f2534c0e_h.jpgfrostconst-31 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#473 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

Glass is going up on the crown. It also extends the height upwards a few feet.

DPu7tATU8AAhZOy.jpg

#474 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

I anticipated that the curtain wall installation would be going up on the roof screen this week.  The extension of the curtain wall up above the parapet is also occurring on the lower roof level on the west side of the building.  I am guessing that my next photo taken this coming weekend will probably be the last of my weekly updates, unless something dramatic happens on the facade.  I did notice something on your last photo, Austin.  The curtain wall panels at the top of the building are more square in shape on the east side.  I had not picked up on that in the design drawings before.  On a side note, the finish out for Jetta's space at the top of the building is scheduled to be completed in March. Frost's interior finish out is supposed to be in February, and that is when the building may hold its grand opening.

#475 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

I've also noticed the SW corner of the tower is different than the renderings, where the lighter blue glass stops two floors short of the roofline. In reality, the glass goes all the way up. There's also a lot less of it on the N & S sides of the building. Another difference is the outdoor patio, which is smaller than the renderings.

for reference 

#476 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

I went back and looked at the design drawings, and there have been some changes that were made to the building since it was first unveiled.  You have pointed out quite a few of them.  Overall, the building still looks very close to those design drawings.

#477 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:53 PM

I took construction photographs yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to post them.  I'm going to be posting one from the east and one from the northwest because the curtain wall installation is almost complete except for missing/damaged glass, incorrect panels, and where the construction elevator and the crane is attached to the building.  Hopefully, I will post those two pictures later today.

The crane is scheduled to be removed this coming weekend.  That would be December 8, 9, & 10.  It would be a great opportunity to see how a tower crane is removed from a high-rise construction site.

#478 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:11 PM

Here are two photos taken on December 3, 2017.  As you can see the curtain wall installation is nearly complete.  I'm including two views this time.  The first is from the east and the second is from the northwest.

37956172365_305bef5535_h.jpgfrostconst-12-03-2017 by jtrobert, on Flickr

37956170845_552d7c22be_h.jpgfrostconst-nw-12-03-2017 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#479 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:39 PM

It really is a nice looking building.  I like how the glass looks different from different angles and in different light levels.  

#480 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:42 PM

According to Gannon Greiss of BBP 

There will be lighting along the top of the projected plane as well as the Frost logo in the square.

https://www.instagra...gb_architecture

• JBB likes this

#481 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:09 PM

That's great.  I was wondering how it might be lit at night.

#482 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:56 PM

Yes, but if you look at the renderings, the lighting was originally planned for all edges of the projected planes.  On my last tour of the building, Gannon mentioned that they were looking at value engineering all or part of the decorative lighting. 

I guess Renamerusk will be expressing his opinion of the installation of the Frost "snowflake" logo in the square.  I am thinking that the signage will have to go before the DDRB before it is installed. 

#483 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

ST building FT Frost Tower

DQY-0T8W0AE5DHI.jpg

#484 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

Yes, but if you look at the renderings, the lighting was originally planned for all edges of the projected planes.  On my last tour of the building, Gannon mentioned that they were looking at value engineering all or part of the decorative lighting. 

I guess Renamerusk will be expressing his opinion of the installation of the Frost "snowflake" logo in the square.  I am thinking that the signage will have to go before the DDRB before it is installed. 

Earlier, I expressed my opinion - "I have no problem with signage on high rise buildings".  We Work has a sign on a high rise building in Austin, Texas and almost every high rise building in Downtown Austin has an illuminated signage on their building. Austin's skyline looks amazing; and quite frankly, there is so much going on there that signage is needed to direct you to your hotel.

The opposition to We Work was predicated on a mid-century tradition that buildings for whatever reason should not have illuminated signage.  Its an idiotic tradition that is not in the keeping of modern day marketing and buildings' effort to capture the public's attention.

When Frost's "snowflake" sign comes before the DDRB, their will be a reckoning.  The motives of Sundance Square will need to be debated; as is their opposition to the planned AC Marriott Hotel. 

Downtown is undergoing a necessary secession from being under the controlled of Bass interests.

#485 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

Crane taking down a crane

DQobY1kVAAADG_E.jpg

#486 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:27 PM

I was watching the action a little bit this morning during the Downtown Walking Tour.

#487 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:47 AM

ST building FT Frost Tower

DQY-0T8W0AE5DHI.jpg

that is an amazing photo.

#488 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:16 PM

John, now that the crane is down and the glass is up, you will have to grab a new photo for the forum header.

#489 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

Yes, there are several skyline photos that I need to retake, soon.  I took yesterday off, and I chose to sneak out of town for an afternoon in Cleburne, instead of taking pictures here in Fort Worth.  It was nice to get away.  I'm going to be off between Christmas and New Years, so I probably will be out taking pictures in town.  However, the weather is supposed to turn cold.  This is always my luck.  Every time I take a week of vacation and I stay here, the weather is bad.

#490 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:30 PM

I am still unclear what kind of night lighting this building will use. I am guessing it will sort of look like the Bass buildings ? In other words nothing too flashy. But I eagerly wait and see.  I was never very excited about this building because of the height. And seeing the renderings. But now that it is up and topped out. I must admit it is having a bigger impact on the skyline than I had thought it would. 

#491 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

IMO, it's having about the same impact on the skyline as did the old Landmark Tower, even though it is in a slightly different location.  The Frost Tower is 12 feet shorter than the roof of the old Landmark Tower/Continental National Bank.  I feel the Landmark Tower lost a lot of its apparent height when the clock was removed in 2000.  Because of its size, the clock read as a part of the building.

As for the lighting, we will have to wait to see how that appears.  If approved, the Frost logo will affect the building's appearance on the skyline at night.  It will also be interesting to see if the logo will be allowed on the east and west sides of the top of the building.  It is against the Downtown Design Standards and Guidelines to install a corporate logo above the 10th floor (120 feet) on a building.

#492 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:48 AM

I understand that’s Frost is doing finish out now with a February opening.

#493 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:36 AM

They are doing the finish out now.  From Channel 5's tower cam on the Stayton, you could see the Frost floors with lights on inside the tower.  Jetta and Anthracite's floors will be finished out about two months after Frost's, so it won't be long before we will see lights on inside the upper three floors of the building.

#494 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

In the fog

DRcHAkzUQAAghYQ.jpg

#495 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:03 PM

Construction elevator is down.

#496 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:54 AM

From this morning.

DSoLHd9UQAAGdWp.jpg

#497 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:28 PM

Was Frost Bank's sign not included when it went through design review? 

In other words, is it possible it has already been approved?    When did the new sign ordinance in Downtown begin - think was recently right?

I'm with Rename - I don't get the hyper-concern about building signage.   IMO, I think the tight design scrutiny for Downtown (and other) development should focus attention on form, general architecture, and how the buildings meet the street.  There are several recent projects such as the XTO garage that seem to have passed through the review process but could have used more design tweaks to make them better.

Also, Rename - I searched and could not find a photo of the downtown Austin Wework sign on the building.  Is it on a highrise (over 120')? 

#498 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

I went back to look at the information that I had on the building.  The signs have been defined by area and type on the design drawings that were presented to the DDRB back in April 2015.  The signs are even described as back-lit flush acrylic letters on a routed metal panel background.  The metal panel areas have already been installed on the building.  I have always thought that the DDRB also had to approve the copy and the style of the signs.  From later renderings, we know that a Frost "snowflake" logo is going at the top of the east and west elevations.  With the installation last week of the ground floor storefront and entrance, it is obvious where a smaller snowflake and Frost text will go on the ground floor.  These areas were also identified in the DDRB package.  What I am saying is that the signage size and location appear to have been approved by the DDRB back in April 2015, but the copy and font were not.

The latest Downtown Design Guidelines and Standards were approved in June 2016, after the building started construction.  I agree with you on the overall intent for the guidelines and standards - form, general architecture, and how the buildings meet the street.  You mention Cowtown Place, the new XTO Garage.  It went through several re-designs in order to be approved by the DDRB.  However, this was as far as the owner was willing to go, and the project was approved.  I would guess that they met the minimum of the standards relating to parking garages.

#499 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

I was admiring the Frost Tower from my drive in on I-30 from the east this morning.  I'm sure the cloud cover was contributing to it, but it has an interesting look from that angle: very wide, the glass almost looks black, and the shading makes the corners disappear.   It looks more like it covers the full block from that angle.  Unfortunately, it's pretty difficult to get a pic while I'm driving.

#500 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

View from Dickies Garage

QEE5VMF.png

Edit - Though I cant get the link to work properly this is a shot from the Earthcam on the site.

http://dickiesarena.com/progress/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Office, New Construction, Bennett Benner Partnership, Frost Tower, 640 Taylor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users