• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:04 AM

I don't have a good camera but I have a good eye for photography.  Here are two suggestions for a future skyline photo for the front cover of the website:

1)  At a particular spot on Highway 287 south of downtown as you're headed north, it looks like a panoramic island of buildings (I think about 2-3 miles away).

2)  At a particular spot on I-30 going west to downtown (I think about 2 or 3 miles away).

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:04 PM

I have taken pictures from both locations.  The problem that I have with the I-30 photo is that several of our taller buildings align with each other and that view tends to make the skyline look smaller.  Since we have clear skies in the winter, I will try to get back to the hilltop on US 287 to take a newer photo.

The one view that I like is the cover photo for the Fort Worth Architecture Facebook page. It was taken from the Hulen Street Bridge.

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:19 PM

The current view is nice because it shows off all the more recent skyscrapers (Pier 1, Carnagie, Omni to a lesser extent) and will show River Tower and Frost Tower better.

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:20 PM

Let's compare the view from the Amon Carter and the Hulen Street Bridge.

Amon Carter Museum, currently used on the front cover of the website:

skyline-03-17-09.jpg

View from the Hulen Street Bridge, currently used as the cover of the site's Facebook page:

skylinehulen-05-24-15.jpg

#5 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:32 AM

Where are all of the cars? :huh: Looks like an empty tollway.

Despite 777 Main being hidden, I prefer the second picture for some reason.

Keep the Amon Carter view for the forum banner, though.

-Dylan

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:32 PM

The weather forecast doesn't look favorable, but if it is clear over the weekend, I will try to take a skyline photo from US 287.

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

Would you believe that I was at that location this week without my camera?  I had to go to a job site on East Berry Street without prior notice.  I did not have my camera with me.  It does look like a good place to catch the skyline.

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

Here is the view of the skyline taken on US 287 between Mitchell and East Berry Street.  Pier 1 and the River Tower are too far west to get a good tight shot of the skyline.

skyline2015-287.jpg

#9 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:59 PM

My dentists office is in the top floor of that office building just north of the Hulen Bridge, and faces downtown. Every time I go I wish I had a nice camera and lens. The view is similar to these but without the ground clutter.

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:10 PM

I have been in that building several times.  I will agree the view is very nice. 

I have several locations in buildings where I know there is a great view.  The problem is being able to get permission to take the photo and then get there during office hours when our schedules agree.

#11 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:36 PM

The 287 view is one of the best of the "Big 6" but doesnt really show off anything else that well IMO. 

#12 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:04 PM

This was the view I was talking about at the forum meeting:

http://www.bing.com/...082&FORM=LMLTCC

It wouldn't make for a good skyline picture, but outlining the buildings made for an interesting custom shirt. Maybe I'll wear it to the next meeting.

-Dylan

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

^Another good place not far from from that with sorta the same style is the 21st street brige over the railroad tracks, which might be a good one to get since the Swift ruins are in the foregorund. 

Another favorite of mine from the West side is from the Heritage Parking Garage (this one) since you've also got Will Rogers in the shot to.

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:46 PM

I did take one from the Trinity River in flood stage back in the Spring.  This is the photo. 

[/url]skyline-river by jtrobert, on Flickr">http://23512890589_4d7c34f444_b.jpgskyline-river by jtrobert, on Flickr

Austin, I have several locations north of the Stockyards that offer pretty good skyline views.  However, to get the sun on the north and east or west sides of the buildings, you have to take the photo in the Late Spring and Summer.  I have not shot from the Western Heritage Parking Garage.  I have always felt that I should pay and get permission to take pictures from there.

#15 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:32 PM

I like the 287 view because it's a panoramic shot of downtown, and it's impressive to the northbound motorist.  On the downside, if we only had more high-rise infill, so it doesn't look like a mouth full of missing front teeth.  The new Frost Bank Tower and the new Trinity Terrace tower will help in that regard.

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

I have replaced the image in the banner of the Forum with a new skyline shot taken today at the Amon Carter Museum.  There is one issue with it.  The two tower cranes for Elan at Crockett Row show up in the photo, but I decided to use it for a while.  I can always replace it, once the cranes are down.

By the way, here is the full size image:

25677713678_2739cf8f02_h.jpgskyline-01-06-2018 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#17 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

Good photo.  Shows the Fort Worth skyline getting more dense than previously.  Completion of new high-rise housing and hotels in the works will add considerably to the downtown profile.  When will you update the skyline photo on the Fort Worth Architecture.com home page?

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

I could replace it now and use this photograph.  I was planning to get out to take pictures this weekend, but after being out in the cold for the downtown tour, I lost a lot of energy and didn't do much Saturday afternoon.  On Sunday, I should have ridden bicycles, but I still was draggy, so I went to the store to prepare for the winter weather, did laundry, and cleaned house.  I also had some other things to do, but I did not get to them.  Hopefully, I can get them done later in the week.  I was hoping to get up on the Hulen Bridge and take some shots, along with other vantage points around town. 

#19 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:05 AM

I still think a good vantage point is I-30 about a mile or two east of the Beach Street exit.  At a certain point downtown seems to pop up to the viewing westbound motorist and looks like an island of buildings.  A similar, but less dramatic, phenomenon occurs at a certain point south on 287 to the northbound motorist.  I don't have a good camera to take any decent photos.  It is also unsafe to be taking photos on the shoulder of either highway.

#20 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

Those other vantage points are really great, but the advantage that shot from the west side has is that it's an elevated view with very little interference that can be taken from a couple of locations.  I would be interested in seeing what the view is like from the garage at Dickie's arena.

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:17 PM

Here's all the downtown hi-rise projects that may or may not be in the pipeline. 

X6XWDcJ.png

#22 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:37 AM

What is the Gateway Block building?  Is that the block where the rumored high rise garage/hotel/office building would go?

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:47 AM

Yeh and I'm basing it on the old DMSAS masterplans.

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

You could call the Gateway Block the old Monnig's Department Store site for all of us old timers.

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

I called it Gateway as that is what Sundance refers to it as

#26 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:27 AM

Anyone Know if Justin Terveen ever did photos of Ft Worth and where he might have shot from? He is hands down one of the best photographers I Know and has always done amazing shots of Dallas. 

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:22 PM

He has come over here occasionally.  However, we have not been able to get together when he has come.  My schedule is pretty limited to lunch hours and after work or weekends.  I will admit that I have gone over to Dallas to shoot with him on a few weekends.  I am planning on doing a forum meeting on a weekend, so that we can walk around and take pictures.  CTroyMathis, over on the Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum, has requested a weekend get together.  12-14 years ago, we used to do those from time to time.  When I set something up, I will extend an invite to Justin.

#28 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:30 AM

Slowly, but surely, I have been archiving on the site and providing links to older photographs of downtown buildings that are no longer possible due to construction.  These clear views of buildings have been replaced with newer photos of them with the more limited sight lines to represent what is actually there.  When I haven't replaced photographs, I have put dates on them to indicate the photos are old.  I probably have all of the buildings re-taken, but the problem has been getting all of the photographs uploaded.  Unfortunately, I have thousands of photos that haven't seen the light of day on this site. 

For the record, I do have a new skyline shot from the Hulen Street Bridge that has been posted to the Facebook and Twitter accounts.

#29 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:59 PM

Anyone know from which vantage point, if any, one can view the rising hotel tower at 5th and Main?  This tower appears to be hidden from any view of the skyline.

#30 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:14 PM

I have seen the crane from several vantage points, but I think the building will have to get close to full height before it will be seen.  Also, even at full height, only the top will show up.  It won't be making a major impact on the skyline from any direction.

#31 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:43 PM

I may have seen one of the best skyline view from west bend today. From the 9th floor of the northern building, they had a great big window to showcase the view. I made mention of it and was told that it can be pretty scary when the storms roll in.

#32 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:56 PM

Yes, that is a good place, but it is inside an office building. 

#33 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:53 PM

Here's all the downtown hi-rise projects that may or may not be in the pipeline. 

X6XWDcJ.png

*sigh*

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#34 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:49 PM

I revisited this photo the other day.  Frost was built and the AC is under construction.  901 Commerce will probably happen.  However, the rest may or may not happen. 

#35 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:29 PM

You can add to the "probably happens" list the Convention Center Hotel; I do think however the CCH will likely be built so that it connects to the existing CC parking garage.

• JBB likes this

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:41 PM

Anyone know from which vantage point, if any, one can view the rising hotel tower at 5th and Main?  This tower appears to be hidden from any view of the skyline.

I rode the Trinity Trails on the east side of Downtown on Sunday and Monday.  At the trailhead at E. 4th St. and the Trinity River, the top of the building is now showing.  For details on the construction progress and where they are in the floor count, you can check out the AC Hotel thread.  I took pictures of the construction progress today.

#37 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:55 AM

The other day I also checked the vantage point on westbound I-30 just before the Beach Street exit but didn't see the AC Hotel from there.  You've got to consider pulling your car over at this location and taking a photo of the skyline.  Yes, it's a bit hazardous.  The downtown "island" always abruptly shows up and it's striking!  I think this photo would rival the one Austin took from the Dickie's Arena vantage point.

#38 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:27 AM

I know the location you are talking about.  However, I admit that I don't feel comfortable pulling over on an interstate to get out and take a photograph.  I have another location that is higher up and further east.  This location is on a residential street where I can park and set up to take a picture.  The only problem with this location is that 777 Main blocks part of The Tower and the two Sundance Square Towers appear as one.  I also have a couple of locations that offer good views from the north. 

I used to be out and about with my camera much more than I am now.  Since I am not, it is much harder for me to find the time to go out and take pictures. 

#39 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:37 AM

Channel 5's camera from The Stayton is showing the very southwest corner of the AC Hotel in their skyline shot.

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:48 AM

*image*

*sigh*

Frost is done

AC is about to top out

901 Shrunk in height but got wider and will start soon

Worth won't happen but 1,000 Weatherford will.

Canopy, Garden Inn and Residence Inn I don't know anything about.

Gateway block will still happen, just a matter of when and how tall.

Same for the 2nd HQ hotel. 

#41 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:27 PM

Gateway block will still happen, just a matter of when and how tall.....Same for the 2nd HQ hotel.

Can you remind me what are Gateway and 2nd HQ hotel?

#42 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

Gateway is the one full block southwest of The Westbrook.  It's called the Sundance Gateway Parking Lot because of the trellis built at the SW corner of 4th & Houston.  Monnig's Department Store used to be on that site. 

The 2nd HQ Hotel is the proposed 2nd Convention Center Hotel.  I believe the Omni Fort Worth is considered to be the 1st HQ Hotel. 

#43 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:59 PM

Seems like this potential change from the Omni Hotel 2 to the skyline is being overlooked -

From TCC Board of Trustees Governance Meeting agenda on September 12,

Consideration and Approval of Contract with RBR Real Estate Holdings, LLC to Sell 1.996 Acres Property at 1500 Houston Street (May Owen Center) and associated parking lots, Fort Worth, TX and Approval for the Chancellor to execute all documents necessary to close the transaction

Amount: $14,000,000.00 (paid to TCCD

RBR's address is in the same building as the Omni corporate office and the listed treasurer is Omni's Pres and CEO. Robert Rowling is part of TRT holdings who own Omni.

https://www.bizapedi...ldings-llc.html

https://en.wikipedia...ki/TRT_Holdings

Omni has caught their big fish. 

And as for the Gateway Block (Sundance Square, LLC) it seems that it is too tentative about its plans and could be out maneuvered as other developments have put forth deliverable dates.  It is pure speculation, but one could speculate what a Fidelity/Charles Schwab corporate HQ  tower built on Gateway Block would have meant for the skyline.

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

Since the owners of Omni Hotels have purchased the May Owen Center, it is very likely that they will use that block to build an approximate 400 room addition to the Omni.  There is even a stub of a corridor on the second floor that ends at the south wall of the building which is apparently where they will make the connection between the two buildings.  We don't really know what the plans are for the block.  I'm guessing that it won't be any taller than the hotel section of the existing building.

#45 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:37 PM

Something to keep in mind about modern skyline photography is that we could hire a properly certificated remote pilot to provide much more flexibility in altitude and / or being over other obstacles (with the proper permissions).

The large rigs can carry just about any camera and stabilize it for a high quality image.

When the time comes this is something we should consider commissioning.  We could probably get the support of the city itself, not that we would need it: a pilot will understand the rules and permissions necessary.

#46 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:40 AM

Channel 5's camera from The Stayton is showing the very southwest corner of the AC Hotel in their skyline shot.

A motorist westbound on Second Street at a point between Jones and Calhoun can view the top floors of the AC Hotel.  At that perspective the top of the hotel building (as of this date) looks far shorter than the high-rise buildings on its adjacent sides to the west and east.

#47 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:52 AM

The AC Hotel is at the main roof level and should be about 177' above the ground.  The AC Hotel has a mechanical level yet to be built, bringing the total height up to 186 feet.  The Blackstone Courtyard by Marriott Hotel across the street is 268 feet tall, and The Sinclair, with its new rooftop addition is 218 feet.  The main roof of The Sinclair is about at 200 feet. 

#48 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:10 AM

The AC is pretty visible from the Southside when coming up Hemphill.

#49 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:55 PM

Randomly stumbled on this photo again...

:no: 

X6XWDcJ.png

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#50 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 10:14 AM

Nice-looking photo of should-uh beens, except for the Frost Tower and the Marriot AC.  And I believe 901 Commerce is still a go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users