• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

I am looking for photos of the old Hollywood Theater located on 7th Street.

If anyone has anything, I would love to see them.

Thanks!

Mary Bess

#2 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(mbdalton1 @ Feb 4 2006, 06:40 PM) View Post

I am looking for photos of the old Hollywood Theater located on 7th Street.

If anyone has anything, I would love to see them.

Thanks!

Mary Bess

All I have is some photos of the marquees of several Fort Worth theatres, including the Hollywood, from an October 1939 brochure issued by the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce. I will reproduce that below - sorry for the large file size to those who access the forum on dial up - I kept it full sized because it allows for so much more detail. The photo of the Hollywood was taken a few years prior to the brochure, however. Notice on the marquee that the movie being shown was "Sing Baby Sing" which came out in August of 1936. Also, notice on the marquee that the Hollywood was showing a couple of newsreels - The March of Time as well as Pathe News.

Too bad the theatre is now a parking garage. At least the owners left some of the architectural details intact.

I also own a copy of the opening night program along with a few bits of other opening night memorobelia from the old Palace Theatre in Dallas - a theatre which was every bit as grand as the Majestic and which was destroyed like so many other wonderful things were in the 1970s.

IPB Image
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#3 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:52 PM

Near the Electric Building in DTFW?

What are ya'll up to? Hopefully a martini/jazz lounge over there. wub.gif

Good luck on the restore job with the Alexander Co. folks.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#4 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Feb 4 2006, 05:52 PM) View Post

Near the Electric Building in DTFW?

What are ya'll up to? Hopefully a martini/jazz lounge over there. wub.gif

Good luck on the restore job with the Alexander Co. folks.

Yes, this is the same....the old Hollywood Theater in downtown Fort Worth, part of or beside the Electric Building. I'm not following you, though, on the restore job. Please fill me in!!

Actually, our architecture firm just leased out the old lobby area for our new office space. We moved in Friday. I'm trying to research the history a little bit and find some old photos to possibly enlarge for framing and display. Some of the old ceiling detailing remains and the grand old marble staircase leading up to the balcony is still there but the balcony area is sealed off. It is a shame that the beautiful old Art Deco chandelier that once graced the lobby is no longer there.

Thanks Dismuke for posting that brochure! Fabulous!!

Mary Bess

#5 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:58 AM

Mary Bess..

Why don't you call Sarah Biles at the Stockyards Museum to check to see if they have anything in their archives? Or stop in at their site in the Exchange Building. I'ts run by the North Forth Wort Historical Society and they have some really extensive files on old Fort Worth. Sarah's a native and grew up in the middle of everything. She has some great Fort Worth stories and the collection at the Museum is worth checking out.

Their number is 817-625-5082 and they open at 10 AM on Monday...

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#6 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(djold1 @ Feb 5 2006, 05:58 AM) View Post

Mary Bess..

Why don't you call Sarah Biles at the Stockyards Museum to check to see if they have anything in their archives? Or stop in at their site in the Exchange Building. I'ts run by the North Forth Wort Historical Society and they have some really extensive files on old Fort Worth. Sarah's a native and grew up in the middle of everything. She has some great Fort Worth stories and the collection at the Museum is worth checking out.

Their number is 817-625-5082 and they open at 10 AM on Monday...

Thank you! ! I will check this out.

Mary Bess

#7 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:36 PM

Why not go next door and order some of the old photos from the Star-T?

#8 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:44 PM

IPB Image

#9 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(Buck @ Feb 12 2006, 08:36 PM) View Post

Why not go next door and order some of the old photos from the Star-T?

Yes, this is a must! Hopefully they will have some good ones!

Thanks,
Mary Bess

#10 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:43 PM

I would suggest the Special Collections at the UTA Library too! smile.gif

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:35 PM

I remember going to the Hollywood Theater one Thanksgivings Day long ago. I also remember being greeted by the theater manager at the time. However, I don't remember whether entrance to the theater at that time was from 7th or from Lamar Streets. From archival pictures of the Hollywood Theater, it would seem like the entrance was at Lamar Street.

Really,  Fort Worth should be taking the initiative, and not waiting entirely upon private developers to restore both the Hollywood and the Isis Theaters.  IMO, Fort Worth is beginning to lead in the area of live music and film tourism in the state.  These theaters along with the museum venues for film and music is the future of Fort Worth as a tourist destination.

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:16 PM

It's been a long time since I attended a movie in the Hollywood Theater. (I was under 18)  I have been inside both the parking garage and the original theater lobby on 7th since the apartments opened.  As I recall, the entrance on Lamar was really a secondary entrance and served as a second or third exit.  The marquee was always on 7th Street.  The theater closed in 1974 and by that time it was either a Spanish Language Theater or X-rated.  I turned 17 in October of that year.  Therefore, I had to be pretty young when I did go to a movie there.  From what I do remember, the main entrance was always on 7th.  Another thing to consider is that the ground floor spaces, other than that level of the theater, really have not been altered much.  The only large space for concessions, gathering, and entering were the main lobby that led to 7th Street.  I would like to see the archival photographs that indicate the main entrance was on Lamar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users