#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:53 PM

Normally, I don't post updates to the site on the forum, but I have added another photograph to the listing for Lily B. Clayton Elementary School.  It is a photo of the original 4 classroom building (1922) with the 1924 addition projecting outward on the left side of the building.  The 1924 addition was also four classrooms, but the grade was already sloping off, so the architect put those classrooms on split levels.  This created a partial basement for the original building.  Both of these pink brick parts were designed by Wiley G. Clarkson.  From 1936 until 1938, a two phase major addition put a new south wing along Park Place and an east wing running northward on the east side of the building.  This gave the building a "U" shape.  These two additions were clad in yellow and orange brick, and the south side of the original building was reclad in that same color brick to provide a unified facade along Park Place.  Preston M. Geren designed that work.  It was also a W.P.A. project and the the campus was also landscaped as a part of it.  In 1989, a free standing gymnasium was built directly to the north of the 1924 addition, and in 2003, a 14 classroom addition connected the east wing to the gymnasium.  The shape of the building is still a "U", but now the legs point east/west. The school is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is also a City of Fort Worth Historic & Cultural Landmark.

Below is the new photo that I have added with the rebricked portion and connection on the right:

clayton-1922.jpg

This is the front facade of the school consisting of the 1936-38 addition and the connection to the original building.

lilybclayton.jpg

The new photograph will also be posted on Architecture in Fort Worth's Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users