511 replies to this topic

#301 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but I don't mind using the Stockyards/cowboys/ranching thing as part of our identity and marketing at all.  It's a thing, after all.  My problem is that the yee-haw let's all be cowboys ridin' and ropin' thing seems to be about 98% of all of our marketing efforts, to the exclusion of a lot of other things we could get out into the world that are just as much, if not more, a part of the city as that one element.

Yee-haw is an easy brand to market.  Everyone can identify with cowboys on some level.

My blog: Doohickie

#302 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:46 AM

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but I don't mind using the Stockyards/cowboys/ranching thing as part of our identity and marketing at all.  It's a thing, after all.  My problem is that the yee-haw let's all be cowboys ridin' and ropin' thing seems to be about 98% of all of our marketing efforts, to the exclusion of a lot of other things we could get out into the world that are just as much, if not more, a part of the city as that one element.

FInally, the voice of reason.

Reason doesn't sell.  If it did, the Republican presidential polls would look different.

#303 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:42 PM

.... to the exclusion of a lot of other things we could get out into the world that are just as much, if not more, a part of the city as that one element.

If we could only have one or two of the "lot of other things" identified; then we could have a debate about its or their worth to some end.

#304 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:05 AM

If we could only have identified one or two of the "lot of other things"; then we could have a debate about its or their worth to some end.

"Aviation and Defense"

#305 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music, photography, games, sci-fi.

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

If we could only have identified one or two of the "lot of other things"; then we could have a debate about its or their worth to some end.

Yeah, it's not like we have been talking about this for years with people bringing up several examples before.  Clearly, I have to do that in my one single post, which apparently exists in a vacuum.  Because I did not identify anything specifically, it is clear nobody else has, and thus my point is invalid.

- Architecture/urban planning/transit blogger, Fort Worth Weekly

Fort Worth District 9 Zoning Commissioner

#306 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:33 AM

Oil and gas.  In the classic TV series "Dallas," J.R. and company occasionally made references to Fort Worth.

#307 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:57 AM

Oil and gas.  In the classic TV series "Dallas," J.R. and company occasionally made references to Fort Worth.

Well at least we can have a serious debate over that suggestion. 

Even though there is a nascent oil and gas industry established in Fort Worth, there would be little to deny that Houston, Midland and Beaumont are the energy centers of Texas.

#308 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

"Aviation and Defense"

Again, a serious answer.

But Seattle for aviation & Arlington, VA for defense, don't you think?

I think from a national perspective, it might be hard to convince other cities around the country to designate Fort Worth as the center of aviation. 

It is a fact of Congressional Budgeting that the Defense Industrial Complex is rooted in every state and every Congressional District for political and employment reasons.

Our niche is a western heritage; and it will continue to evolve into serving as something that makes us distinctive.

#309 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:29 AM

If the city is interested in looking around for another industry to add to the economic diversity of the area I might suggest the "nascent" Renewable Energy segment. I can't name any single city identified with the design and production of next-gen solar panels, wind and wave generators, neighborhood-scale gas turbines and even fusion reactors. There are several major universities in the area that are chomping at the bit for something that would propel them into the next higher bracket of recognition (Tier I) and perhaps a renewable energy consortium would attract the brain-power and capital needed to get the renewable ball rolling in a big way. Tier I would attract more innovators, a new energy industry concentrated here would attract funding and access to other resources. The city could capitalize on this by using economic incentives to help startups in this area, and if the new and successful companies could be persuaded to stay in the city the resulting influx of wealth would drive the demand for newer, bigger, taller, denser, urbaner; all the things the architecture geeks here would appreciate. A solar panel and wind generator could earn a place on the city's marketing logo. 

San Francisco - San Jose has tech, NYC has finance, Houston oil, Seattle software and commercial aviation. All these city's economies are successful because of their key industries but also have appropriately diversified bases. Fort Worth's key industries are unfortunately subject to serious fluctuations and accompanying expansions and contractions, sometimes dramatically. Adding what is likely to be an industry with long-term growth potential to the mix would seem a reasonable thing to do. Starting early"would give an advantage over other areas that catch on when the inevitable "crunch" and price spike for conventional energy happens in the future.

Similarly, there is no easily recognizable center for rainwater harvesting yet, but several cities in the desert southwest and Austin seem poised to work toward claiming that distinction. Small scale and admittedly "low-tech" today, I can envision growth into city-wide systems designed by major engineering firms and built by large-scale construction companies in a few short years...

#310 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:30 AM

Even though there is a nascent oil and gas industry established in Fort Worth, there would be little to deny that Houston, Midland and Beaumont are the energy centers of Texas.

But Seattle for aviation & Arlington, VA for defense, don't you think?

what has happened to our reliable Fort Worth booster?  Does your boosterism only apply to the cattle industry?  How about a little bit more of that "Fort Worth Uber Alles" spirit we know and love?

The point people are trying to make is there's more to FW than just Cows, which I think you would agree with. 

#311 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:11 AM

what has happened to our reliable Fort Worth booster?  Does your boosterism only apply to the cattle industry?  How about a little bit more of that "Fort Worth Uber Alles" spirit we know and love?...The point people are trying to make is there's more to FW than just Cows, which I think you would agree with. 

Of course, I agree with your overall statement.

Where we part ways comes from the boisterous crowd condemning Fort Worth's historical image while at the same time that crowd seems unable to come up with a distinctive and sustainable alternative replacement. 

All I am asking for is the "replacement brand"  that the national public will come to immediately associate with Fort Worth.  Out of town investors in the Stockyards and the huge international tourism thereof demonstrates that there is a genuine romance for the image which Fort Worth has inherited. 

A business friend who lives in Dallas recently had his daughter visit him from Sydney, Australia  -- he, himself, wanted to show her Fort Worth.

Come on guys, lets hear it. 

BTW - thanks for the compliment - I love being a Fort Worth Booster.

#312 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:14 AM

Yeah, it's not like we have been talking about this for years with people bringing up several examples before.  Clearly, I have to do that in my one single post, which apparently exists in a vacuum.  Because I did not identify anything specifically, it is clear nobody else has, and thus my point is invalid.

:cry:

#313 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

I guess I missed the post where someone suggested that all references to Western heritage should be banished and replaced. I keep reading that it's more about using some of the other things that are great about the city to balance out the Western image in marketing efforts.

#314 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:44 AM

I guess I missed the post where someone suggested that all references to Western heritage should be banished and replaced. I keep reading that it's more about using some of the other things that are great about the city to balance out the Western image in marketing efforts.

I am not sure that a post exist exactly like that; it is more an underpinning current.  I keep wanting to read about the "other things" that would be a sustainable balance; that would jump out and say "When I think of Fort Worth, it is these other things that I think of first".

Lets here hear about them - if its art, then maybe yes ,we can talk.

#315 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:07 AM

I'm sure you would like to "here" about it, but it might be more effective if you hear about it. :)

Again, no one is saying get rid of Cowtown and I find it hard to believe that you're seeing that as an underpinning suggesting.

I think that Western image could be balanced out with arts (3 world class museums - both in architecture and collection - blocks away from each other, many cities would be happy to have just one of them, a top notch performing arts hall, and a secondary venue - Casa - with a rich history that's still used regularly), 3 distinct entertainment districts in addition to the Stockyards that each offer something that the others don't (Sundance, West 7th, Southside/Magnolia), a unique historic boulevard with retail and restaurants that is bordered by beautiful, diverse residential areas (Camp Bowie), an always growing medical community and medical school.

#316 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:04 PM

Well at least we can have a serious debate over that suggestion. 

Beaumont ceased being a major energy center quite some time ago.  I don't know the stats off-hand, but would be willing to bet that Fort Worth ranks just behind Houston when it comes to white collar energy jobs in Texas.

Back on topic, we have an airport which will take me non-stop to China and back next week, where I'll drive 30 minutes door-to-door in very little traffic on Friday afternoon from the airport to a relatively idyllic home which is relatively affordable right in the middle of a safe part of town, within walking distance of world class museums and dozens of good restaurants and entertainment spots, surrounded by an amazing trail system that winds through the city along the rivers.  Show me that capability in any other city in the United States. 

That's what we need to get across if we're talking about marketing Fort Worth more effectively.

#317 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

I think that Western image could be balanced out with arts (3 world class museums - both in architecture and collection - blocks away from each other, many cities would be happy to have just one of them, a top notch performing arts hall, and a secondary venue - Casa - with a rich history that's still used regularly), 3 distinct entertainment districts in addition to the Stockyards that each offer something that the others don't (Sundance, West 7th, Southside/Magnolia), a unique historic boulevard with retail and restaurants that is bordered by beautiful, diverse residential areas (Camp Bowie), an always growing medical community and medical school.

We can talk to Colbert and see if he can get all that into a 2 second shot next time he records a line of the national anthem in Fort Worth.

#318 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:22 PM

Note: I'm not talking about what Colbert did. I wouldn't have changed a thing with what he showed in that bit.

#319 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:00 PM

11990567_10153499354193930_1996614319843

.....Pretty clever at least.

It is best view in white against any other background color so that your eyes get two optical illusions: the city's initials or a steer.  Initially, I did not catch it, but now I do --- it is a clever piece of graphic art.

#320 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:00 AM

Further evidence how the image and an industry collides monetarily. Posted in the Fort Worth Business Press -

http://www.fortworth...f0db1fba4b.html

#321 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

FOX 4 had a substitite meteorologist yesterday morning. This is roughly what she said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Here is a look at our four Dallas webcams:

On the top left, you can see [tower A].

On the top right, you can see [Tower B] and [Tower C].

On the bottom right, you can see DFW Airport.

And I'm not sure what towers those are on the bottom left."

[A few moments pass]

"Oh, that's Fort Worth. I had no idea!"

------------------------------------------------

Believe it or not, I started laughing after that. 

- Dylan

#322 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:17 AM

Fort Worth is slowly but steadily becoming a cosmopolitan city in its own right.  Just about every part of the city is experiencing economic development and residential growth.  Mixed-use projects seem to be sprouting up everywhere! 

And it's not the growth pattern of a suburb...my sister lives in Arlington.  When I take her out to lunch occasionally around Fort Worth I'll point out some new construction, such as the new Eyeworks building in the West Seventh Area.  My sister will remark saying, in so many words, "I've seen this or that in Arlington."  No, dear, Fort Worth is NOT Arlington, I would like to remind her (but don't say it for fear of offending her.)  Of course, Fort Worth is not Dallas, either.

#323 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Location:Stop Six/Echo Heights/Eastwood/Forest Hill/Meadowbrook/Fossill Creek

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:17 PM

Two questions for you and those who sympathizes with you:

What is your alternative?

The alternative would be not constantly pretending the Fort Worth is full of cowboys.  I don't know any cowboys that live in Fort Worth - just lawyers and politicians that play cowboy dress-up.  "If you get an outfit, you can be a cowboy too!"

Been saying that on this forum since 1997.

#324 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:55 PM

Two questions for you and those who sympathizes with you:

What is your alternative?

The alternative would be not constantly pretending the Fort Worth is full of cowboys.  I don't know any cowboys that live in Fort Worth - just lawyers and politicians that play cowboy dress-up.  "If you get an outfit, you can be a cowboy too!"

Been saying that on this forum since 1997.

Perhaps it should be made clear as to what is meant by the "alternatives"; that is to say - What industry or economic force do you replace the Western heritage with such that it would produce a comparable economic impact; it ought at least be intact and viable, as is the Cowboy Economy.

#325 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:02 AM

Texas A&M University to purchase Texas Wesleyan University Law School. This is great news for Fort Worth. A&M will undoubtedly bring their prestige and their resources to make this, their sole Law School, a premier campus within their institution.....Way to go Aggies!

The Texas A&M Law School effect -

Today, a professor from the Texas A&M Law School was questioned on air by the Qatar-based organization Al Jazeera.  The interview was about current affairs in the Middle East.  Al Jazeera America has a global audience.

During the interview, the professor spoke in front of a set with the Fort Worth skyline as its background. 

My guess is the skyline perspective was taken from a viewpoint that originated from either the Pier One or Mallick towers. :wub:

Speaking of viewpoints, the best and my favorite perspective of the skyline as being viewed from the plaza of the Amon Carter Museum.

#326 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:40 AM

Perhaps it should be made clear as to what is meant by the "alternatives"; that is to say - What industry or economic force do you replace the Western heritage with such that it would produce a comparable economic impact; it ought at least be intact and viable, as is the Cowboy Economy.

The fact of the matter is The Cowboy Economy is still a significant driver of Fort Worth.  Look at all the events that take place at Will Rogers.  What to replace it with?  Aviation and maybe server farms.  Not nearly as distinctive as cowboys.

#327 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:28 AM

Who says anything about replacing it?  Who is advocating that?  The only thing I have seen is that FW needs more diversity in promoting the city besides the cowboys & cattle stuff.

The city should never get rid of the western heritage promotions or what economic windfalls it brings to the local economy.  There can be a happy medium besides one theme in a vibrant large city like FW that is so much more than cowboys and cattle.

#328 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:38 AM

Who says anything about replacing it?  Who is advocating that?

Well, renamerusk, for one...

(That was, after all, the post I was replying to guys.)

#329 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

My position is on the record for all to view: Posts #304 & #312.

What is ignored repeatedly is the yet to be disproven fact no one has come up with an answer to this challenge: What do you specifically think is the image that will be able to supplant the Western Heritage and most importantly generate a comparable economic impact; is it Indie Music, Coffee, Financing,....just what is this elusive "lots of things?"

#330 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

Again, no one is saying get rid of Cowtown and I find it hard to believe that you're seeing that as an underpinning suggesting.

Quoted, but somehow I think I'm still talking just to hear my own head rattle.

#331 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

I believe some of the discussion about a single theme for Fort Worth was generated by Austin55's Post #245 back on 9/02/2015, when he showed the "new" city logo of an "FW" with a Longhorn steer's horn on top, all in red on a white background.

In other words, for a new city logo you have to settle on one particular theme and evidently our city promoters chose a breed of cattle.  That got us all talking about Cowtown versus arts culture, etc.  Woe (or whoa horsey!) is us.

#332 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:49 PM

I read almost every post since then just now and can't find one that suggests that the city needs a single theme as a replacement for western heritage and/or cowboys.

#333 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:49 AM

The fact of the matter is The Cowboy Economy is still a significant driver of Fort Worth.  Look at all the events that take place at Will Rogers.  What to replace it with?  Aviation and maybe server farms.  Not nearly as distinctive as cowboys.

Aviation replaced the cattle industry as the major industry in Fort Worth about 70 years ago. The fact that so few people seem to understand that is a little strange to me. Lockheed employs some 15k people, and American Airlines and the joint reserve base employ similar numbers of people. How can you compare that economic impact to server farms or a particular tourist destination?

I see that this is an unpopular opinion, and I have no idea why that's true. I was discussing this topic with my wife in a doctors office waiting room. A little old lady took it upon herself to interject in our conversation to let me know that "some of the most affluent people in Fort Worth consider themselves cowboys" or something to that effect. And she seemed really peeved at me. And she made a really big deal about me "not being from the area". Nothing like being scolded by a little old lady in public to make you realize an idea is unpopular or controversial.

So yes, I understand the cowboy image is important to people on this board and at least one darling little old lady out there who is deeply annoyed with me. But we shouldn't have to ask all these rhetorical questions about "what replaced the cattle industry as the primary driver in the local economy when the stockyards shut down", or "what's truly distinctive about the local economy when compared to other cities". These questions have factual answers.

#334 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:50 AM

I see that this is an unpopular opinion, and I have no idea why that's true. I was discussing this topic with my wife in a doctors office waiting room. A little old lady took it upon herself to interject in our conversation to let me know that "some of the most affluent people in Fort Worth consider themselves cowboys" or something to that effect. And she seemed really peeved at me. And she made a really big deal about me "not being from the area".....But we shouldn't have to ask all these rhetorical questions about "what replaced the cattle industry as the primary driver in the local economy when the stockyards shut down", or "what's truly distinctive about the local economy when compared to other cities".

Next time you should tell that "little old lady" and her "likes" this -

"We do not need an obsolete cowboy/aggie business that died away over 70 years ago 'cause we can get all the food that we need from the Central Market or Kroger!; or have a juicy burger, vegan or traditional, in the West Seventh or Magnolia districts" :P

#335 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:07 AM

A little old lady took it upon herself to interject in our conversation to let me know that "some of the most affluent people in Fort Worth consider themselves cowboys" or something to that effect. And she seemed really peeved at me. And she made a really big deal about me "not being from the area". Nothing like being scolded by a little old lady in public to make you realize an idea is unpopular or controversial.

Russ, you should have taken the opportunity to educate that sweet, but misinformed little old lady in the differences between cowboys and stockmen or ranchers. "Affluent" and "Cowboy" generally do not belong in the sentence without a negative present. Owners of ranches that cover the best part of three Texas counties are not "Cowboys". Thistle Hill was built by a rancher; the cowboys hung out in Hell's Half Acre.

#336 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:00 AM

Please read this and perhaps you will understand Fort Worth and what it means to have a distinct identity.

Fort Worth Business Press:

http://www.fortworth...24e6e56d2e.html

#337 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:07 AM

I read the beginning of the article and had no idea what you were talking about. I was going to give up, but decided to go to the end and read back. For the tl;dr crowd, just read the end of the article.

Briggs recognizes the sometimes deep cultural divide between the glittering high-heels of Dallas society and the scuffed, if expensive, boots of Fort Worth’s culture.

“I tell people, I say, ‘Look, I went to school at Tulane. That’s Louisiana. You’re not going to find a more different [cultural] than Louisiana and nobody wants to change Louisiana,” he said. “Nobody wants to go down and change New Orleans. You go there because it’s different.”

Fort Worth, like Louisiana, has a strong sense of place, Riggs said.

“I grew up in Dallas and I always wanted Dallas to have an identity. When you say Dallas, you don’t automatically come up with an identity. New Orleans, you come up with an identity. Miami, you come up with an identity,” he said. “And Fort Worth, you come up with an identity. And I like that. I like that authentic identity of who Fort Worth is.”

While the cowboy culture may permeate that identity, that’s not all there is to it, he notes.

“These are some of the most sophisticated people in the world, and the ones that I’ve met have been some of the most entrepreneurial in the world, and yet you can just sense that they have roots in hard-working American cowboy culture and that’s a good thing,” he said.

Briggs intends to keep those separate cultures satisfied, utilizing the assets he has brought together.

#338 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:38 AM

Great--a Dallas guy defining the Fort Worth image.  What's next, a New York City real estate agent or how about a Wall Street Journal article writer?

Plus, he kind of a back hand compliments the city--like saying they are some of the most "sophisticated people in the world and the some of the most entrepreneurial  in the world"

As if he just found out that not all FW folks are cowboys and have brains like those fine folks in Dallas.

#339 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

I think you're being awfully touchy about it.  He brings up other comparisons - New Orleans, Miami - each of which evokes a unique image.  He's saying Fort Worth has a unique image as well.  As far as the sophisticated/entrepreneurial remark, I think what he's saying is that Fort Worth is better than Dallas.  You have those things in both places, but Fort Worth has something extra.  Don't let the source of the remark spoil it for you.

As far as the outsider image thing- isn't that the most important image when it comes to marketing the city?  We who've lived hear know about the city.  the "Dallas guy" has an outsider's perspective which is good; he has some idea what the rest of the country/world sees in Fort Worth from an outside perspective, and wants to use that to market the city.

#340 eastfwther

eastfwther

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

Haven't visited this site in a while... This particular thread gets more convoluted every time I read it.

#341 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:41 PM

It's an emotional issue, and it wanders around a bit based on media coverage of events based in Fort Worth.

#342 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:48 PM

Haven't visited this site in a while... This particular thread gets more convoluted every time I read it.

Largely because there are those who prefer or do not accept the distinctive image that Fort Worth holds and who are comfortable that it be a city without a distinctive character, something like a Dallas. 

And then, there are those of us who prefer and appreciate the value of this distinctive image that continues to serve us well.

Yes, Dallas is an awesome place; but it is not Fort Worth nor should Fort Worth aspire to be like  or despair for lack of being like its neighbor to the east.

#343 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:59 AM

Just to bring something a little lighter to this thread, a Fort Worth attorney's over-the-top YouTube ad, that features multiple prominent local landmarks, for his practice has gone viral and is getting national play from the likes E! and the Huffington Post. I'm sure some of you law practicing folks out there may find this a little out there and I'm not sure it is the kind of image polishing the city needs, but it made me laugh out loud when I saw it last night.

https://youtu.be/HL3MxAH-kDI

Edit: I would have preferred to embed that video, but I can't figure out how.

#344 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:15 PM

Just to bring something a little lighter to this thread, a Fort Worth attorney's over-the-top YouTube ad, that features multiple prominent local landmarks, for his practice has gone viral and is getting national play from the likes E! and the Huffington Post. I'm sure some of you law practicing folks out there may find this a little out there and I'm not sure it is the kind of image polishing the city needs, but it made me laugh out loud when I saw it last night.

https://youtu.be/HL3MxAH-kDI

Edit: I would have preferred to embed that video, but I can't figure out how.

As one of the law practicing folks out there, I found the video very funny.  We could have used that kind of video in the Tarrant Bar Association's annual variety show that spoofs lawyers and judges ("Tarrant Tortfeasors").  BUT, if I were a client in trouble would I want to go to an attorney who goes crazy in that kind of a commercial?  Or an attorney who appears to be sound and stable?  You be the judge here.  And, likewise my opinion is the same for those other two barristers in Texas who somehow get their ads approved by the state bar advertising committee.

#345 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:04 PM

I hope you know I wasn't taking a shot at you or any other attorney or implying that you don't have a sense of humor.

#346 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:41 AM

Not to worry, JBB.  Actually, I am one of the players in the local bar association's variety show that features comedy skits.  So I appreciate a sense of humor.  While I admire the young attorney's comic-acting abilities in that commercial, I just don't share the belief that attorneys should be advertising in that manner.  Call me conservative in that sense, but lawyers everywhere are the butt of enough jokes and derisive comments as it is.

Incidentally, once upon a time attorneys were barred from advertising.

But, to return to the topic at hand, his commercial does put a unique spotlight on Fort Worth's image.

#347 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:42 PM

Wait a minute - that's an actual attorney at law? I thought the video was a parody at first.

- Dylan

#348 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:23 PM

Man, I love this thread. One side is like "the cow - i could take it or leave it, but we should have some other things besides the cow. those other guys want only cow." The other side is like "why do you want to kill the cow? the cow is good. we should keep the cow."

And where is JBB in all of this? I would've thought he'd have an opinion.

My view: The logo is okay. Let's not overstate its importance in the image of the Fort. No one is going to make a decision about visiting Fort Worth or having a convention here based on the logo. Consider its role and purpose. Compare it to the logos of other cities' tourism offices. I think we're going to be fine on this one.

Personally, as I've said before close to a million times, I think the western heritage should always be part of our image but should never be all of it. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who thinks that way, and that's okay.

Finally, current economic impact of an industry cannot be the deciding factor on how to position the aspects of our city's image. I'm not sure how you would use the presence of Lockheed and the JRB to grow tourism and convention bookings, for instance. The goal, I would think, would be to identify who you want to attract, find out what they like, find out what you have that they like and tell them about it (and maybe a little about the cows), and try to encourage the continued growth of those things to make the city even more attractive. But, then again, I'm not the Texas Marketing Hawk.

Hugs all around!

#349 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:13 AM

In a world facing terrorism and war, a little bit of Cowtown humor on CBS News.

http://www.cbsnews.c...-in-fort-worth/

#350 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

The latest take on Fort Worth by an outsider (New Yorker).  Its rightfully heavy upon the western aspects of the city but does hint at the other aspects that many of you have been citing.  Certainly, the western aspect continues to be the major piston that drives what makes our city overwhelmingly interesting to both visitors and locals.

http://intelligenttr...th-texas-afitz/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users