9 replies to this topic

#1 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

Thought you guys might enjoy these shots from a recent trip.

Antigua is a wonderful Spanish colonial city that was once the capitol of Guatemala. The weather is great year round, primarily due to the altitude. They've adopted strict architectural guidelines regarding all construction in an effort to keep the city looking much like it did centuries ago.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#2 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

The pic's and the people are gorgeous.
Would love to visit that place sometime.

Fountain pic's are some of my favorite shots.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:42 AM

It looks like an interesting place. I think my favorite is the first photo!

#4 Yossarian

Yossarian

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:48 AM

Nice. Looks a little like Tepoztlan.

#5 njjeppson

njjeppson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:50 PM

Nice photos! I love Guatemala. I had to dig up a few photos from when I was last in Antigua.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

An interesting fountain:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Talk about strict sign guidelines! Everything is in traditional ceramic or wood!
IPB Image

IPB Image

#6 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

Those are great photos, njjeppson. With such beautiful scenery, it's almost impossible to take a bad shot. I have a picture of a friend and myself in front of that big church (I forget the name, La Merced?). If it's the one I think it is, it's recently been painted a bright yellow. And the cafe where you took the shot of the fountain has the best tres leches cake I've ever tasted! If I remember correctly, it's called tres contessas, and is supposed to be haunted by the ghost of a man who was caught with the wife of the owner, killed, and entombed within the walls. My wife and I did our Spanish homework there in the afternoons, eating cake and drinking delicious Guatemalan coffee.

I have a few more photos I'll upload when I get time. It really is an amazing place. It's too bad the people are so poor and the government is so corrupt. If it were safer outside Antigua, the country would be a great vacation spot. The mountains, the ocean, whitewater rapids - all within a few hours of each other.

#7 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:54 AM

By our standards they are definitely poor. But they seem so happy. Tres Leches is a yummy cake that I am sure is better tasting down over there. Too rich of a dessert for me.
www.iheartfw.com

#8 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:37 AM

Saf, the kids in my photos are poor by any standard. Mom, dad, and the four kids (oldest seven) were all living in a one-room shack with a mud floor, without indoor plumbing. Most of each day they had no running water, and many days they ate only rice and tortillas. My last trip there, Debra, the girl with the lollypop in my last photo, was so sick she was unable to walk, and we had to carry her to the doctor for antibiotics and vitamins. The cloth that Debra's holding onto in the photo is the front door of their former home.

They look happy in the pictures because they had just eaten well for the first time in over a month. I try to visit there as often as possible to remind myself how truly blessed I am, and to give back just a little bit to those with such tremendous need.

#9 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

I can somewhat agree with you. But there is just something innocent about how they survive with what they have and DON'T KNOW what they don't have. A certain BLISS about it all. They have it all when their health is good, their family is with them and their beliefs and structure are a part of their daily lives. I am almost 100% SURE that all of that innocence would be lost if they lived like ordinary "poor" Americans. These people know how to smile and don't care for much material things. When I went to visit relatives in Mexico as a kid, I knew how much STUFF was given to me in the U.S., and how much less others over there had. But at the end of the day, we would still sit around and eat and play with no care for material things that shaped our daily lives or DISTRACTIONS.

There is just something very INNOCENT and TRUE in your photos. I guess I am one who does see the blessings in these photos, and it has nothing to do with what they are wearing or what roof is over their heads and running water or not.

THIS is a culture, and if they were shipped over to some sweatshop in NYC or CA. IT WOULD ALL BE LOST.

They certainly don't look as if they were gravely malnourished. And they don't look as if they just chowed down at some PIZZA HUT lunch buffet either.

Perhaps we should try a missionary trip to Somalia, and actually SEE what I am saying. dry.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#10 njjeppson

njjeppson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Mar 15 2006, 12:53 AM) View Post

I can somewhat agree with you. But there is just something innocent about how they survive with what they have and DON'T KNOW what they don't have. A certain BLISS about it all. They have it all when their health is good, their family is with them and their beliefs and structure are a part of their daily lives. I am almost 100% SURE that all of that innocence would be lost if they lived like ordinary "poor" Americans. These people know how to smile and don't care for much material things. When I went to visit relatives in Mexico as a kid, I knew how much STUFF was given to me in the U.S., and how much less others over there had. But at the end of the day, we would still sit around and eat and play with no care for material things that shaped our daily lives or DISTRACTIONS.

There is just something very INNOCENT and TRUE in your photos. I guess I am one who does see the blessings in these photos, and it has nothing to do with what they are wearing or what roof is over their heads and running water or not.

THIS is a culture, and if they were shipped over to some sweatshop in NYC or CA. IT WOULD ALL BE LOST.

They certainly don't look as if they were gravely malnourished. And they don't look as if they just chowed down at some PIZZA HUT lunch buffet either.

Perhaps we should try a missionary trip to Somalia, and actually SEE what I am saying. dry.gif

I agree with you. Most people in Guatemala have that innocence and true happiness that most Americans don't have (because our fast culture tells us we have to have everything before we can be happy). It's a greater shock returning to the U.S. after traveling abroad and wondering... how can people survive without 'xyz' and still be happy? That's even true after living in Europe and recently returning back to Texas!

If you want to see something disturbing that will change they way you view life, visit the garbage dumps in Guatemala City (you can see it right before you land at the airport). We walked down into the canyon-turned-garbage dump where the poorest of the poor dig through garbage day after day to find food and things they can recyle for money. Children don't go to school to help their families in the dump. True despair and hopelessness that I cannot describe! On some of the organised trips we helped feed the people in the dump, teach English classes to students and adults, provide medicine and medical clinics, work with troubled teens who were learning a trade, and help at local churches. In every situation I received genuine kindness and thankfulness.

What the government of Guatemala has done to the poor people and rich culture are shameful, but there are a lot of people and organisations out there helping in any way they can. Whether it is through religion or education or simple encouragement. It's about giving the people hope. And when the people have hope in their future, their happiness is greater than anything money can buy. The same is true in helping the people in your own neighborhood in the U.S. The results of my Guatemala experiences are trying to apply that 'simple' happiness and gratitude to my own life in the U.S.

Anyway, those are a few of the thoughts that have been running through my head, and I could go on and on about my experiences there. I don't want this to become a depressing topic. The Antigua photos just reminded me of this all over again. Sorry for getting off track!

Guatemala is a beautiful country with very warm and welcoming people and a fascinating culture in a state of contrast. Visit if you haven't been yet! There are even McDonald's and big-box retail if you miss home!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users