• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

Farmer's markets and places to buy fresh veggies from local farmers and shop owners, within walking distance from home or work, makes living and working near there so much nicer.

I see some vacant retail locations downtown that sit that way for a really long time, six, maybe seven years, with signs of their lack of occupancy, many I'd walk by EVERY time I went out downtown.

Could the city cut some deal with owners of retail locations that sit vacant, maybe give them a tax break or some other incentives, maybe cover some basic utilities, security and sanitation, that would entice the shop owner to allow "markets" to operate there until leased? When they lease it, the market moves to another vacant location.

If it's a large location, maybe operate like a flea market with a lot of different vendors always changing, smaller locations might just focus on being a retail coop for a bunch of farmers selling potatoes, corn and tomatoes, maybe.

The city pays or paid, not sure of the current situation, something around 700K per year just for the Tower parking garage to allow people to park there free on two floors, evenings and weekends. Imagine what half that could do for a downtown market !!!

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:43 AM

David, I'm not comparing apples to apples, but in 2002, the Fort Worth Rail Market was opened to act as a marketplace for local goods and groceries.  It was backed by Downtown Fort Worth, Inc. and also the City (I think).  It was a big failure; however, I think the location was a huge factor in its demise. 

I actually like your idea. It would provide more street and retail activity, fill up a vacant storefront, and generate business.  Downtown really needs something like this.

#3 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:51 AM

Could the city cut some deal with owners of retail locations that sit vacant, maybe give them a tax break or some other incentives, maybe cover some basic utilities, security and sanitation, that would entice the shop owner to allow "markets" to operate there until leased? When they lease it, the market moves to another vacant location.

I would be concerned that a physically moving target for consumers seeking fresh veggies would discourage many of them from pursuing their goal. People tend to establish patterns and stick to them, and this applies to shopping patterns. Familiarity breeds some degree of success, and this probably applies to a known and learned location for where to shop. This is good thinking, certainly "outside the box", and more good thinking could lead to a working idea for addressing vacant storefronts; I just have a nagging feeling that farmers markets is not going to be the best answer.

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

Farmer's markets are better suited to be outdoors. Like this one in Union Square in NYC:

UnionSquare_620x275.jpg

#5 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

In the Texas heat an awning over the whole thing would be a good idea. Maybe a public square in Cat Island could have a big barn-like structure that could be used for a Farmers Market one or two days a week. There are also large warehouse structures just across the Trinity from Downtown along Sylvania that could be repurposed for this. The docks already in place at such a facility would be a help to larger operations to unload their produce and parking would already be in place. It is just a matter of time before that area of town "catches on". A Farmers Market might be a good kick-starter for re-urbanization.

#6 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:20 PM

I have always thought that vacant stores either in shopping centers, malls or downtowns could be usefully converted into temporary exhibit space until they are leased out.

Most museums and archives have holdings that are significantly larger than what they have the ability to display at any given time.  Indeed, a lot of these holdings are warehoused and never get to see the light of day.   A vacant store would provide such an institution an opportunity to exhibit items that they otherwise would not be able to. And the traffic that would be generated by the institution's publicity and followers would certainly be beneficial for the surrounding shops that are not vacant.  And an additional benefit of such a temporary exhibit for the institution putting it together would a higher level of visibility as well as the retail district's traffic that might bring in potential followers/supporters who are discovering it for the first time.

Of course, one potential concern for any such institution would be security for items displayed - so it might not be a good idea to display items that are of high value.  But a lot of institutions are more than capable of putting together interesting exhibits without putting valuable holdings at risk.  For example, an archives that houses a large collection of historical photos could display reproductions.   A science museum could certainly put together an interesting exhibit using pictures and items that are not of high value.   Plus, some retail areas have a certain level of security already in place - for example, Sundance Square or pretty much any shopping mall.

Anyhow, that is an idea I have always had whenever I see a vacant storefront where in an area that still has regular traffic. Too many vacancies can lead eventually jeopardize that traffic and raise negative perceptions about its long-term viability.  Something like this could be of mutual benefit for both property owners and institutions.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#7 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

I'd like to one day, see options downtown like you have in larger urban communities, a place for fresh fruit and produce, butchers, etc...

I'm starting to think CVS may be our only option for some time to come, and we'll be forever stuck driving to Whole Foods or whatever our market of choice is.

If they ever manage to swing something like this, it will have to be uber flexible to accommodate local farmers, and the ability of a "buyer" / "producer" to acquire produce from longer distances out when local items are not in season.

Then you could always switch over to carrying items with longer shelf life, like honey, nuts, grains, etc...

But this would impact the habit forming abilities of having a market people can depend upon.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#8 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

I would think the parking lot along side Kress would work well for a temporary market.

#9 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:00 AM

Based on recent history around the country, farmers' markets seem to only service a niche crowd. Most folks buy their produce at their local grocery store due to convenience. The Weatherford Farmers Market used to sell only fruits and vegetables, but now has expanded to tourist items and plants.  Unless there was a major event in town, the foot traffic is (there) low to medium on the weekends. Oliver's Fine Foods (downtown) has a very small selection of fruits and vegetables, but only seems to cater to the lunch and late night crowd in there.

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 11:27 PM

I took the liberty of placing your (DH) post in this thread.  It may be easy to follow the evolution of the need for a farmers' market in DTFW.  This is exciting news and these folks deserve our praise and patronage.  This will be a wonderful place to buy local produce that is hopefully raised within a 150 miles radius of Fort Worth.  Just this weekend (July 9-10) I will be headed to Weatherford for peaches.

Yum!

(Indoor/outdoor)
Farmers Market located in
Downtown Fort Worth
1f4a5.pngMore details will be announced soon!1f4a5.png

215416295_327317832381807_78220543412284

214900341_327317859048471_88621472119963

215270824_327317882381802_56365157457024

#11 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 06:56 AM

Okay, but this isn't (quite) downtown.

My blog: Doohickie

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 06:20 PM

Well it is directly across the street from the T&P Terminal which as long as I have lived in Fort Worth (nearly all my life)  has been considered quite to be in DTFW.  But it is up to one's own interpretation and it shouldn't become the Pecan War.

#13 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 02:55 PM

I took the liberty of placing your (DH) post in this thread.  It may be easy to follow the evolution of the need for a farmers' market in DTFW.  This is exciting news and these folks deserve our praise and patronage.  This will be a wonderful place to buy local produce that is hopefully raised within a 150 miles radius of Fort Worth.  Just this weekend (July 9-10) I will be headed to Weatherford for peaches.
Yum!

The Local Farmer
1f469_200d_1f33e.png Coming Soon 1f469_200d_1f33e.png

(Indoor/outdoor)
Farmers Market located in
Downtown Fort Worth

1f4a5.pngMore details will be announced soon!1f4a5.png

215416295_327317832381807_78220543412284

214900341_327317859048471_88621472119963

215270824_327317882381802_56365157457024

I concur, this is great news! My wife and I have been saying this would be such a great use of this building for years now. The farmers market at Clearfork is really nice but having an indoors will allow it to be a destination.

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 July 2021 - 04:55 PM

Something has been needed to be done with the building for a long time.  I do know the owner and the last time I visited with him (before the pandemic) he said that it would be his next project.  This is good news and I look forward to seeing a farmers market here.

#15 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:40 PM

I wonder if it will have AC?

#16 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:52 PM

Good question.  As a teen, I would sometimes go to Vickery Recreation Center to participate in the activities offered there.  I would not be able to tell you if there was or wasn't AC, but I do remember the windows were open and provided both lighting and provided cross ventilation and it was comfortable.  At the Will Rogers Barns where there was a weekend flea market, it too had window for cross ventilation and I believe individual stall merchants also brought a fan too keep themselves cool.  I believe I am correct, but not absolutely certain.

I would posture that it is better to be sheltered from the sun and rain.  Farmer markets are typically an outdoor or protected by a shed.  While in Weatherford this weekend, the farmer market was open air beneath a shed and fans and cross ventilation kept it very comfortable.

#17 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 11:54 PM

Good question.  As a teen, I would sometimes go to Vickery Recreation Center to participate in the activities offered there.  I would not be able to tell you if there was or wasn't AC, but I do remember the windows were open and provided both lighting and provided cross ventilation and it was comfortable.  At the Will Rogers Barns where there was a weekend flea market, it too had window for cross ventilation and I believe individual stall merchants also brought a fan too keep themselves cool.  I believe I am correct, but not absolutely certain.

I would posture that it is better to be sheltered from the sun and rain.  Farmer markets are typically an outdoor or protected by a shed.  While in Weatherford this weekend, the farmer market was open air beneath a shed and fans and cross ventilation kept it very comfortable.

If they manage to work AC into the budget and some decent restrooms, this could work as JBB mentioned for events and other things. Sort of strange to have a totally enclosed farmers market. Probably makes loading and unloading a pain. I am hoping this is actual growers not produce resellers.

S-T picked up the story.
https://www.star-tel...e252685738.html

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 12:34 AM

..... I am hoping this is actual growers not produce resellers.

I 2nd that!

Ideally, there might be a restaurant inside that served salads and maybe a bakery, candy maker and a smoothie shop. It might be cool to have a forest theme with a water feature for the eating venue. 

I'm not seeing a special event venue nor the need for one. A trip to the Local Farmer could be the event itself.

#19 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 06:31 AM

..... I am hoping this is actual growers not produce resellers.

I 2nd that!

Ideally, there might be a restaurant inside that served salads and maybe a bakery, candy maker and a smoothie shop. It might be cool to have a forest theme with a water feature for the eating venue. 

I'm not seeing a special event venue nor the need for one. A trip to the Local Farmer could be the event itself.

I was thinking a made-to-order pasta / omelette bar would be nice. You could use locally-grown ingredients and the setup is rather simple using those portable induction burners like they use on the TV show Top Chef. During the morning hours the same chef could make omelettes / crepes and transition to pasta at lunchtime.

#20 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 10:20 AM

I will go with omelettes created from locally raised eggs and produce.  There are dairy farmers in Wise County.  Is there still pasta being made locally. But yeah, the Local Farmer could highlight plant base meals. I think lunch time at LF could become a hotspot.

And who knows, perhaps Molly the Trolley (FWTA) could expand its circular routes to include Vickery Street; heaven knows that it never has any problem circling SSq.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Grocer, Farmers Market, Baker, Butcher, Market, Groceries

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users