• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:03 PM

Every movie theater I went to as a kid in Fort Worth has since closed and/or been remodeled beyond all recognition. I'm curious what films everyone remembers seeing in which particular theater, all over town. These were INDOOR theaters...

* Wedgwood (on Trail Lake Drive, south of Loop 820) -- Single screen, opened in early 1960s. I remember seeing _Fantasia_, _Logan's Run_, Disney's animated _Robin Hood_, the '76 remake of _King Kong_, _Tron_, _The Villain_, _Taps_, etc. They used to have a big electric sign out in the parking lot, with stick-on letters to advertise the films, because the theater itself was way over on the other end of the shopping center and you plain couldn't see it from Trail Lake. That sign was removed long ago (it had this sequential red neon arrow pointing people into the parking lot). By the 1980s the theater was split in half and became a twin screen, and they were renting VHS tapes to folks out of the lobby. Eventually it became a four-screen dollar theater (my retired parents used to go there often, Mom smuggling in popcorn in her purse). Finally it closed for good. It was some sort of nightclub for a while, and is now a church. I think the last film I ever saw in the Wedgwood was the digitally enhanced _Empire Strikes Back_. A 1980 Southwest High School yearbook says they once showed _The Rocky Horror Picture Show_ at midnight as a fundraiser for the school band. I think my brother may have gone here in the early '70s to see _The Sting_ and _Jaws_.

* Seminary South. Three screens. Outparcel building, out in the parking lot of the Seminary South Shopping Center. Affiliated with General Cinema and each film used an entertaining opening promo for "GC" with a really kickin' snare drum instrumental. My brother and sister and I always went here to see Disney's _The Jungle Book_ each time it was re-released, and we always bought a box of lemon drops at the concession stand. Today it's a bingo parlor.

* The Opera House. Single screen. I saw the original _Star Wars_ and _Annie_ here. Not sure when it closed. Is the building still there? Has it been remodeled or demolished?

* Western Hills 4. Watched the remake of _Flash Gordon_ and the animated _Lord of the Rings_ here, and didn't like either film. I was quite young at the time and didn't go to this theater very much, and I have no idea when it closed or what's there now. I don't know if I could even find it again. smile.gif

* Cineworld 4. Felix Street and I-35, in the middle of a shopping center building. I watched _9 to 5_ and _A Boy Named Charlie Brown_ here. I saw my first science-fiction double feature here: the original _War of the Worlds_ and _When Worlds Collide_. (Watch them back to back on video now and you still won't be disappointed!) Today it's a Dollar General store.

* New Isis. I never went to this theater, but I always saw it in the movie ads. This was in a totally different part of town from where I lived. Not long ago I was chatting with a clerk in a county government office and she mentioned that she used to go to the New Isis quite often when she was a little girl. When I asked her if she remembered any particular films she saw there, she had a ready, blushing response: "_Viva Las Vegas_!" Anyone have information on what this theater is being used for today?

* Ridglea. I keep confusing this theater with something else in my mind, so I may be mistaken. It was on Camp Bowie Blvd. It may have been here where I saw the original _Superman_, _Close Encounters of the Third Kind_, _Empire Strikes Back_, and _Star Trek: The Motion Picture_. (Incredibly, I did NOT like each of these films when I first saw them -- and they were always shown in the same theater.)

* Hulen 6. Behind Hulen Mall. I saw a couple of dozen great films there as a kid: _E.T._, _Raiders of the Lost Ark_, _The Muppet Movie_, _Return of the Jedi_, etc. My sister worked in the concession stand for a couple of years. I know they showed _Blazing Saddles_ there as a re-release. The last film I ever saw there was _Apollo 13_ the night it premiered, and there was a HOLE in the screen the size of a basketball. I think this theater was later expanded to 10 screens, but there was another 10-screen theater less than a mile down the road. The Hulen 6 closed (did the mall build a new theater in the mall itself? I haven't been inside Hulen Mall in ages) and the last time I saw it, it appeared to be undergoing some sort of renovation.

In reading other posts, I've been surprised to learn of several movie theaters that came and went long, long ago. I hadn't known that there once was a theater in the Westcliff Shopping Center. I'd like to hear other folks' memories of indoor movie theaters around Fort Worth over the stretch of time. What movies do you remember seeing there?

#2 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

The Wedgewood is where I went of a first date in 1969 and ate dinner at the Sizzler located in the same shopping center.

I also remember seeing "Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid" at the Hollywood in 1969. The Opera House in the 1949 Village was a nice theater and we saw "Paint your Wagon" on the big screen.
Mike

#3 RicknTX

RicknTX

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:45 PM

Giraffe...

Have I got a story for you <lol>.

When I had a buck to spend as a teenager back in the mid-60s, I would often find myself down at the "New Isis" theater where it cost 35 cents to see a triple-header with cartoons between each feature. Ah, the good ol' days! I would even have enough money left over from my dollar for a hot dog and a small soda. One day, three others and myself decided to go see "Psycho" at the late showing that let out sometime about 1 AM (as I recall). Everyone who has seen that movie (and who of that generation hasn't?) will remember the famous shower "stabbing" scene? Well, after the movie was over, we left the theater and decided to walk back uphill along NW 23rd Street to head back to our individual homes. I lived in the 2400 block of Prospect, so as we came to the intersection of NW 23rd and Prospect, we stopped and talked about the movie for a few minutes while standing under the streetlight.

As we were talking and cutting up, a woman walked down from the gravel driveway that led to an old 2-3 story boarding house that used to sit on the corner. It was old, dark and gloomy even in the daytime to me. Anyway, the woman appproached us and appeared a little out of breath as she said, "Boys...do any of you have a knife I could borrow?"

Here it was, almost 2 in the morning and a strange woman (who appeared to be in her early 30's) was asking to borrow a knife! It just so happened that I did carry a pocket knife that measured about 3" when closed, so I asked, "What do you need it for?" She replied, "I just need to use it for a minute or two, and I'll give it right back." Sounded okay to me, so I took the knife out of my pocket, opened it, and held it out. I said, "You ARE going to give it back, right?" She assured me once more that she would, so I handed it over to her.

As soon as she had the knife in hand, she turned around and bolted back up the gravel drive and around a clump of tall green fir trees that had been blocking our view of an old dark blue or black 53-54 Buick that was parked between the house and the trees. We followed because the thought was still in my mind that she might not return the knife. (I know...stupid kids, right!). Anyway, as she ran up the drive, it became apparent that she started chasing a man who had been somewhere near the car. As she chased him around the old car several times, she was actually trying to stab at him. After several revolutions around the car, he was finally able to jump inside and lock the doors. I still remember the woman trying to stick the knife through the window and jab him as he was rolling the window up on the driver's side.

Being unable to get to him, the woman next directed her fury at his car as he tried to get it started so he could back down the drive. In the seconds between his getting it started and backing out, she was at the rear of the car making every effort to slash the tire. She apparently did not have the strength to penetrate the rubber because he finally got the car into the street before peeling out as quickly as the old Buick could accellerate. Not to be outdone, the four of us also "peeled out" and ran into the nearby dark alleyway and hid in the darkness to see what the woman did next.

As we continued to watch, she seemed to collect herself and calmed down, then she started walking towards the entry to our alleyway saying, "Boys! Oh, Boys. I have your knife to return! Come on out...!

Not knowing what to expect next, I still wanted my knife back, so I stepped out of the shadows as she walked towards me. My friends continued to remain in the shadows. The woman saw me, walked up, and laid the knife (now folded) in my hand. As she thanked me for its use, I brazenly asked, "What was that all about?"

Her reply was, "Don't worry about it, Boys. It was nothing!"

My thought (left unsaid) was, "Yeah! But you didn't just come from seeing Psycho!" Anyway, my friends and I talked excitedly about the event we had just witnessed for a few more minutes beneath the streetlamp before breaking up and heading to our respective homes. As I recall, about a year later after I had completed basic training down at Fort Polk, LA, I returned home on leave and the old boarding house was no longer there.

Yep, I saw many a movie in that old theater without having to spend many a buck! haha

I hope this contributes to your topic and isn't too far off the intended trail. Thanks for letting me share.

Rick

[quote name='Giraffe' date='Nov 16 2008, 12:03 PM' post='51897']
Every movie theater I went to as a kid in Fort Worth has since closed and/or been remodeled beyond all recognition. I'm curious what films everyone remembers seeing in which particular theater, all over town...etc.

#4 Saginaw

Saginaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:General and military history, drive-in theaters, and any miniscule information.

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:23 PM

Lemme see, lemme see. Where do I begin? conf.gif

Well, my earliest movie memory was going to the old Worth Theater with my Mom and Dad sometime in the late '60s (I was either three or four). I don't remember what was playing, but two things stand out from that visit: the opulent red interior and "tossing my cookies" in the little area between the actual theater and the lobby after consuming chocolate stars and soda.

- At the old Ridglea, I dragged my Mom to go see 'What's Up, Doc?', and wound up seeing it a total of four times in two separate trips (I had a puppy love crush on "Babs" Streisand at that time. I've since moved on).

- At the Seminary South General Cinema theater, I saw 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory', 'Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster', and 'Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure'. I believe I saw a couple of other movies there, but I can't recall exactly what they were.

- At the 7th Street Theater, I remember attending a Marx Brothers movie marathon with my sister and her friends on a cold, drizzly day in about '72 or '73 (and fell asleep), and also 'Gone With the Wind' (where I fell asleep again....BOOORRINNNNG! to me at the time).

- At the 1849 Village Opera House, I saw 'Outland' (which was my first "mature" movie that I saw alone), and 'Strange Brew' one cold night with some friends of mine. Again, I seem to remember seeing a couple of other movies there that I can't name at the moment.

- At the Cineworld 4, I saw 'The Rescuers' with my sister, and the goofy and forgettable 'Surf II: The End of the Trilogy' with some friends from high school.

- At the General Cinema at Richland Plaza, I saw 'The 7th Voyage of Sinbad', 'Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back', 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan', Star Trek III: The Search for Spock', 'Star Wars: Return of the Jedi', and 'Wargames'.

- At the old Bellaire Theatre in Hurst, I saw 'Tron'. Today, it houses the Artisan Center Theater.

- At the old Six Flags Cinema, I saw 'Star 80', alone.

- At the old Las Vegas Trail theater, I saw '2010', the same day my youngest nephew was born at Harris Hospital.

- At the General Cinema at North Hills Mall, I saw 'Enemy Mine' and 'Revolution'. That year (1985) was the last time I went to a movie theater until 14 years later, when my brother and his wife took my Mom and I to go see 'Star Wars: The Phantom Menace' at the Tinseltown Theater in Grapevine.

- At the AMC Sundance 11, I saw 'Toy Story 2' with my sister and a couple of cousins.

Most of all, I have some very fond memories of the old UA Cinema 6 at Northeast Mall in the early to mid '80s, as I had many friends that worked there (and where I tried to get a job). I saw 'Star Wars' there in 1980, the year the theater opened, 'Rocky III', 'Doctor Detroit', 'Firefox', 'The Breakfast Club', 'Partners' (with my girlfriend at the time), 'Tootsie' (where I took my Mom and aunt), 'Psycho II', 'Back to the Future', 'Blue Thunder', and bits and pieces of many other movies. They also had a sizable and popular video arcade that was just off the main lobby, across from the snack bar, where I spent much time and many quarters there!

It's been quite a while since I've darkened a movie theater's door. Not much to be entertained by these days. And the prices? Forget it. I can do better at home.

QUOTE (Giraffe @ Nov 16 2008, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
* Seminary South. Three screens. Outparcel building, out in the parking lot of the Seminary South Shopping Center. Affiliated with General Cinema and each film used an entertaining opening promo for "GC" with a really kickin' snare drum instrumental.

You mean this one, Giraffe?:

General Cinema intro link (scroll down a bit)

I've always like that intro. Great topic, Giraffe!

--Saginaw
"If I only had a time machine..."

#5 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:58 PM

My fairly short list, as I've never been a prolific movie-goer:

7th Street: "Darkman."
Bowie: Double feature, "History of the World, Part I" and "Porky's." (Shaddup. I was in high school. And I seriously bought the ticket for HotW.)
Western Hills: "This is Spinal Tap."
Seminary South: "Return of the Jedi." (Opening night, May 25, 1983. I saw the midnight showing with my friends after we graduated high school.)
Ridglea: I have no clue. I saw several movies there in its three-room configuration, which I never liked, but I don't remember what.
Wedgwood: No idea. I do remember seeing "The Pink Panther Strikes Again" there back in the 70's.
Heights: I saw something at this place during its art house incarnation, but I don't remember what. Between losing this theater and the 80 feet of front lawn at AHHS, the decision to widen the West Freeway to the south instead of the north never made sense to me. Oh well.

I never made it to the Opera House or the TCU, though I remember when they were open.

#6 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:56 AM

I seldom remember specific movies at specific theatres, but since I go back to 1942, I've been in many of the Fort Worth theatres when they were one-hall movie palaces: Worth, Hollywood, Majestic, 7th Street, Bowie, Heights, Ridglea, Tower. Maybe others, but I don'r emember them all. All of them had interesting night-lighting, but the gaudiest one of the lot had to be the Bowie.

#7 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:32 AM

Great topic. I did some research at the D.T. library years ago on some of the now-gone theatres in FW, including some REAL long-goners (New Liberty, Ideal, etc...), but as far as theatres I actually remember going to, the two I haven't seen mentioned that we frequented the most were the Showcase and the Gateway, both on East Lancaster.

#8 danny

danny

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Custom Trim Contractor

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (801hme @ Nov 17 2008, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great topic. I did some research at the D.T. library years ago on some of the now-gone theatres in FW, including some REAL long-goners (New Liberty, Ideal, etc...), but as far as theatres I actually remember going to, the two I haven't seen mentioned that we frequented the most were the Showcase and the Gateway, both on East Lancaster.

The Cinema at the Richland Plaza
GoldFinger

#9 EwingFTW

EwingFTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

How about the White (later Berry) Theater at Berry and Hemphill. My first job was as the popcorn boy at the White.

The theater was built and operated by a Mr. White from Dallas. He lived in the 3000 block of Jennings Ave. Lee Libscomb was the Manager and he lived directly behind the theater on Jennings Ave. There was a Mr. Epstein that guarded the parking lot just to the south of the theater.

Pay was $5.00 a week, minus 5 cents for Social Security

#10 danny

danny

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Custom Trim Contractor

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (EwingFTW @ Nov 18 2008, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about the White (later Berry) Theater at Berry and Hemphill. My first job was as the popcorn boy at the White.

The theater was built and operated by a Mr. White from Dallas. He lived in the 3000 block of Jennings Ave. Lee Libscomb was the Manager and he lived directly behind the theater on Jennings Ave. There was a Mr. Epstein that guarded the parking lot just to the south of the theater.

from my beer hauling days(75 86) i remeber that place
acroos the street from the torch club with the flaming torches
dan h

#11 FWgirl

FWgirl

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (danny @ Nov 18 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (EwingFTW @ Nov 18 2008, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

from my beer hauling days(75 86) i remeber that place
acroos the street from the torch club with the flaming torches
dan h

The Tower Theater - Six points in Riverside - intersection of Belknap/Race/Riverside Drive - there's a 7-11 and Jack in the Box there now. As I recall, our CYO from St. George Catholic Church walked there for a high school youth group function to see El Cid in 1961. (I had to go to imdb to find out when it was released!!! ) The big thing was to sit in the balcony and "neck."

#12 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (cajunmike @ Nov 16 2008, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Wedgewood is where I went of a first date in 1969 and ate dinner at the Sizzler located in the same shopping center.

I also remember seeing "Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid" at the Hollywood in 1969. The Opera House in the 1949 Village was a nice theater and we saw "Paint your Wagon" on the big screen.

Wow! I didn't know The Opera House was that old. Any idea when it opened? The only time I've ever seen _Paint Your Wagon_ was on Channel 8's "The Late Movie," and that was well over 20 years ago. "Howdy, parson! Welcome to Hell!!!!"

Seeing these posts reminded me that the last film I saw at The Opera House was probably _Cloak & Dagger_, starring Dabney Coleman (and Henry "E.T." Thomas, wasn't it?).

#13 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

[quote name='Saginaw' date='Nov 16 2008, 10:23 PM' post='51914']

- At the old Ridglea, I dragged my Mom to go see 'What's Up, Doc?', and wound up seeing it a total of four times in two separate trips (I had a puppy love crush on "Babs" Streisand at that time. I've since moved on).

It's still a funny movie. I recently watched it on DVD. The first half of the film can be thrown out, but the second half consists mostly of one of the all-time great chases in the history of film. Trivia I found on the 'Net said that the producers of that film didn't really tell San Francisco officials in terrific detail exactly where they were going to film, and the procession of automobiles scraping down those long flights of outdoor concrete steps during that chase scene did considerable damage and caused the city to really demand from future film crews exactly when, where, and how they wanted to film anything.

- At the Seminary South General Cinema theater, I saw 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory', 'Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster', and 'Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure'. I believe I saw a couple of other movies there, but I can't recall exactly what they were.

_Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster_? It's a shame I missed it. smile.gif

- At the old Six Flags Cinema, I saw 'Star 80', alone.

I work very close to Six Flags Mall. That old outparcel triple-screen theater has since been converted into several things, including a wrestling arena and a beauty parlor. A newer theater has been built onto the back of the mall itself, but you'd never know it from driving past the mall on E. Division or Hwy 360, as there are no signs to tell you that the theater is there.

You mean this one, Giraffe?:

General Cinema intro link (scroll down a bit)

I've always like that intro. Great topic, Giraffe!

YEAH! That's the one! It's still a great toe-tapper, even after all these years! That same promo was on YouTube several months ago (another friend pointed me to it shortly after I upgraded from dialup to DSL, and that GCC snare-drum bit was the first video I ever watched on YouTube. But it was taken down after a while. I wonder where they got it? Thanks for the link!

#14 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:07 PM

Any idea what caused them to close? Were any of them damaged or destroyed by fire or tornado?

I reckon that sevearl single-screen theaters caved in to economics over time because the market shifted to multi-screens, which weren't always easy or economical to convert to. The theaters themselves may have just worn out and it could have been too expensive to repair or replace stuff.

#15 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:19 PM

Giraffe...

Have I got a story for you <lol>.

Holy smoke! That reminds me of _American Graffiti_, when the nerdy kid asks an adult to buy some liquor for him. The guy does so, tosses it at him as he runs out of the store, and then we find out he had gone in to rob the place!

#16 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (Giraffe @ Nov 19 2008, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any idea what caused them to close? Were any of them damaged or destroyed by fire or tornado?

I reckon that sevearl single-screen theaters caved in to economics over time because the market shifted to multi-screens, which weren't always easy or economical to convert to. The theaters themselves may have just worn out and it could have been too expensive to repair or replace stuff.

Fire was a big concern for early theatres. I think the film was made of cellulose or some type of highly flammable material. Alot of times the projection booths were designed to keep a fire contained, at the expense of the projectionist. I know the Gateway burned. I think most, however, just died off as television, the exodus to the suburbs and multi-screen theatres took over. Ft Worth does have quite a few old single screen theatres still standing, though in pretty bad shape; The New Isis, The Poly, The Azle Ave., The Grand, The Berry, etc. The lobby of the Hollywood downtown was restored, though the auditorium was converted to a parking garage...Doh!

#17 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:59 AM

The Gateway Theater on E. Lancaster where the McDonalds is now. Saw Kissing Cousins and was the first date I ever had (Jr. Hi). I didn't realize it burned. Must have happened in the 70s when I was away at college.

#18 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

I saw a few at the Heights in the early-mid 80's, but I can only remember the name of one - Atomic Cafe. Saw some at the 7th, but it was pretty run-down.

#19 RicknTX

RicknTX

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:20 PM

I just thought of another 'special moment' at a local historic theater, the Hollywood Theater that used to be on 7th Street. There was a local promotion going on in the mod-60's for a movie (can't remember the title, darn it!) but a local radio commercials blared a contest for engaged couples who wanted to get married on stage at the Hollywood could send in their request, and if selected Bob Hope would be in their wedding party and host the wedding. That promotion filled the seats to the rafters, and I was there watching some young couple take their solemn vows as Bob stood next to them. Then, the movie was shown. haha

Oh, I also worked as an usher at the Worth Theater in late 1964 making 50 cents an hour after school each day. I'd get home from NSHS the take the bus from North Side to downtown to get to the theater in time to work. Back in those days you had to wear a dark blue usher's jacket (they provided - none ever fit right!) and carry a flashlight to show late-comers to empty seats...plus you had to tell people to 'put your feet down off the back of the chair in front of you' and to "please do not light that up'! Haha Shouldda made more than 50 cents an hour for having the task of getting people PO'd. While working there, the only movie I saw (34 times!) was Walter Matthau, Tony Curtis and Sandra Dee in "Goodbye, Charlie!"

Ah, the good ol' days.

Rick

#20 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:45 PM

Oh, there was the time they showed "Irma la Douce" at either the Worth or the Hollywood and put all red lights in the overhang under the marquee for the occasion.

#21 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:43 AM

Hollywood Theater- saw The Long, Long Trailer with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. There was a big yellow trailer home in front of the theater, just like the one in the movie.

Worth Theater- I remember seeing Fess Parker live on the stage before a screening of Davey Crockett.

The funny thing is that I must have seen at least a hundred movies at the Hollywood, Worth, and Palace druing the 50's and 60's. I just can't remember what I saw and where I saw it.

The Parkway Theater at 8th Ave and Park Place was one of the nicer suburban theaters. We would go to the Saturday kid show and eat a ton of popcorn and candy and see a double feature and cartoons for probably less than fifty cents. The TCU offered a similar experience, but it was not as nice a theater. The Parkway was one of the plusher Interstate houses, as was the 7th St. Theater. The nicest of the suburban movie houses of that era was the Ridglea.

The White Theater and the Tivoli were a little run down. I remember that my mother did not like for us kids to go to these places for some reason.

#22 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:48 PM

Anyone know what exactly happened to the Varsity Theatre on Rosedale across from T.W.U.? I don't remember it personally, but my Mom talked about going there when she was growing up. It was in the block of old buildings where Burge's Hardware, Ashburn's Ice-cream and Mama's Pizza were. The building is gone now (it was where the parking area is now where it looks like a building should be), but according to Historic-aerials, it was there thru 1970. If you look at the outside walls of the adjoining buildings you can see where the balcony stepped down. Anyone know the backstory?

#23 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Web Development, Linux, History, Antiques

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:36 PM

I saw Fantastic Voyage (the miniaturized surgeons injected into the patient flick with Raquel Welch) at the TCU theater, and remember their being an incredibly long line to get tickets. I also saw King Kong Escapes at the Wedgwood!

#24 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything.

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:32 PM

Saw 'The War Wagon' at the Hollywood downtown Where my hero, John Wayne appeared in person. After the movie, we went around back hoping to meet him (we didn't). That's when I found out my hero was almost bald and looked like my grandfather up close. Still my hero though.

Saw Jerry Lewis walking down 7th. street in front of the Worth Theater one afternoon when he was there promoting one of his movies with Dean Martin. One of us said "hi, Jerry", which he utterly ignored. Someone else said "bye Jerry, you stuck-up SOB." To our amazement, he stopped, turned around, and apologized profusely. He stood there and talked to us for about 15 minutes.

Saw "Bring 'em back Alive" with Frank Buck at the Worth or Hollywood. Mr. Buck invited members of the audience to come onstage and try to draw back the longbow he used to kill the lion in the movie.

Saw Doctor Zhivago at the 7th. Street in '66

'Goldfinger' at the Hollywood in about '65.

'Easy Rider' at the TCU in '69

'THEM', at the Westcliff in '55

Saw 'Picnick 'at the Parkway with two beautiful girls I met there.

Saw many, many horse operas...Hopalong Cassity, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and the rest of the gang, not to mention all the serials and cartoons at the 'Tivoli 'on Magnolia.

#25 LocalYokel

LocalYokel

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:50 AM

I saw so many movies at the different Fort Worth theaters that they kind of run together, but a few still stand out.

At the Seminary South cinema, I saw "Jaws" when it first came out, and it scared the bejeezus out of me. Every time I went to Benbrook Lake after that, I'd be looking around really close in case one of those huge catfish grew some teeth and tried to nab me newlaugh.gif I had a morbid fear of sharks because one of my great uncles was a survivor of the USS Indianapolis and every family reunion we hear about the terrible events that the guy in "Jaws" refers to. The real stories are more horrifying that what the movie character conveys.

At the Wedgwood, went to see "The Bad News Bears", enjoyed it so much we saw it 3 times. I was a lot like the character "Tanner" as a kid.

In high school, for a short period I dated a pretty young lady who was more culturally attuned than myself, I liked to see violent or funny shows but she liked more sophisticated fare. Accordingly we went and saw movies like "Being There" at the Opera House and "Norma Rae" at the Ridglea. I think it was "Norma Rae", it was a Sally Field movie about some sort of textile worker union organizer, and quite possibly the most boring movie that I ever sat through as a teen.

My favorite movie experience was going to the Esquire theater in Cleburne when it still had the huge single screen. Movies there were incredible. They still had the old "crying room" with the glass wall for folks to take their babies in, boy it would be nice to have one of those now to lock cell-phone users in. But I digress. Two vivid memories of mine were seeing "True Grit" there and "The Cowboys". For those who haven't seen "True Grit" in a long time, you may have forgotten the incredible outdoor scenery. On that huge screen, it just absolute blew me away as an elementary school age kid who had never really seen anything but parboiled gray grass and blistered red dirt here in Texas. Mountains! Snow! Rooster Cogburn blasting bad guys! And "The Cowboys" - holy cow, young kids my age getting to go on a cattle drive! Ho ho ho I still hate Bruce Dern for cowardly gunning down the Duke.

Another favorite memory of the big Cleburne theater was the Christmas matinee they ran, it used to be a common thing in the Fort Worth area. Parents would drop us off at the theater early, and we had to bring some canned goods or fruit or something for admission, then we were treated to an entire day of cartoons and shorts. Little Rascals, Three Stooges, Looney Tunes, boy we had a ball. The huge screen had a small stage that ran all the way across, and during the day they would pause the movies and get up there with bicycles and stuff they gave away, or play games and throw the kids little balls like at the football games. Those Christmas matinees were one of the hilites of my childhood Christmas memories, wish they still did them.

Family legend has it that my older sister convinced me to get up on that stage and dance during one of the many Elvis flicks we saw there, I don't remember the dancing but I do remember the Elvis movies. To this day I enjoy watching his movies. The critics don't like them, but in my experience anything the critics like I am best off staying far, far away from....

#26 sumerlady

sumerlady

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:technology, computer, old homes

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

I'm a newbie to this forum but it is nice to see other people remember the old haunts too. Was it the 1849 Village or 1949? I was thinkking 1849 and it was near University and had a place to to get ice cream I think called O'Leary's and the movie was in the back. Late 60's?
East Side Girl

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

Welcome to the forum. It was 1849 Village and it was on the northwest corner of what is now Riverfront Drive and University Drive. The movie theater was at the back of the property and the Courtyard by Marriott sits where the theater used to be. The hotel is so large that it also takes up what was the theater parking and part of the buildings where the shops were located.

#28 sumerlady

sumerlady

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for your reply. It is nice to see that other people here remember the old places. I went to Eastern Hills but it seems like all of us and ran around together even from several of the high schools and we all hung out at the same places. Of course we did not have all the options that kids today have. After reading some of the posts, I might even know some of these people "in real life."

East Side Girl

#29 Mark S

Mark S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Web Development, Linux, History, Antiques

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:46 AM

QUOTE (sumerlady @ Jul 27 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a newbie to this forum but it is nice to see other people remember the old haunts too. Was it the 1849 Village or 1949? I was thinkking 1849 and it was near University and had a place to to get ice cream I think called O'Leary's and the movie was in the back. Late 60's?

It seems to me that the 1849 Village was relatively short-lived, but it could just be that I was busy being a teenager. I do remember that when the Opera House opened it was the nicest theater around, and the one we always hoped our "movie of choice" would come to. I could be way off on this, but I believe it was the last single-screen theater built before the multi-screen trend began. Also, I think most people forget how much bigger those single screens were: huge!
I remember O'Leary's (was that the name?), and remember going to a couple of birthday parties where a huge bowl of flaming ice cream was served. Wow!

#30 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

I remember seeing Gone With The Wind at the Azle Ave in 1939 or 1940. The Theater did not stay open too many years after that. The building is still there with original sign still in good repair. One thing about the old theater signs, they were built to last as has the New Isis.

#31 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

I took a date to the 1849 Village movie house and saw Paint your Wagon with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin. It was in 1969. Where did the 40 years go?
Mike

#32 sumerlady

sumerlady

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

When you said 40 years, I thought -that is not right but then I added it up lol but we did start dating around 10 years old right? I think I saw Gone And maybe Romeo and Juliet. Good date movies.
East Side Girl

#33 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

That date was with a girl from Eastern Hills. I was living and attending school in Haltom City, but worked on the Eastside.
Mike

#34 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:04 PM

Was in the Azle Ave Theatre area today & it looks like it was somewhat restored (or maybe just recently painted), and the doors were open with tables & chairs set up like for a party or reception or some such. Has it been converted to some type of community or meeting facility? (today WAS Sunday-maybe a church is using the building...)

#35 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:49 AM

Answered my own question...

http://cinematreasur...g/theater/9204/

#36 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

Just got through perusing that site for all the Fort Worth theatres I remember--boy, what a trip down Memory Lane!

#37 sumerlady

sumerlady

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (cajunmike @ Jul 30 2009, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That date was with a girl from Eastern Hills. I was living and attending school in Haltom City, but worked on the Eastside.

Sounds like you were there about the same time as me. I went to Eastern Hills too way back then.
East Side Girl

#38 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:28 PM

O.K. East Side Girl, what year did you graduate from Eastern Hills?
Mike

#39 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (801hme @ Aug 25 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Answered my own question...

http://cinematreasur...g/theater/9204/

Just noticed they have no listing for the Palace Theater. Anyone with ample background info in the Palace should write an edit and add it to their list.

#40 malibu65

malibu65

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:38 AM

I remember going to the Azle theatre every Tuesday night to roller skate back when I was a kid. This was 1954-55. At that time the theatre wasn't functioning as a theatre.
On Classmates.com under Carter-Riverside High school in messages there are some great posts about the old Tower theatre on Riverside And Belknap.

#41 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:18 PM

While thumbing through an old photo album the other night, I ran across this photograph of the sign for the Wedgwood Theatre. You can see it for yourself here:

http://s609.photobuc...TheaterSign.jpg

This sign no longer exists, and the theater is now a church. Judging from the release dates of the movies displayed on this sign, I snapped this photo in 1979. I think I took it from inside the family car parked in front of what used to be The Sizzler (now closed). You can't see the theater itself in this photo; it's far off to the left of this shopping center. The red arrow on this sign used to have sequential neon segments and was nice to see at night.

The shopping center is still there, but the Safeway is long gone and that space is now taken up by a Dollar General. Directly between the support posts for the theater sign is a shop that is now home to Harbor Freight Tools.

#42 unknowntbone

unknowntbone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (Giraffe @ Nov 16 2008, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every movie theater I went to as a kid in Fort Worth has since closed and/or been remodeled beyond all recognition. I'm curious what films everyone remembers seeing in which particular theater, all over town. These were INDOOR theaters...

* Wedgwood (on Trail Lake Drive, south of Loop 820) -- Single screen, opened in early 1960s. I remember seeing _Fantasia_, _Logan's Run_, Disney's animated _Robin Hood_, the '76 remake of _King Kong_, _Tron_, _The Villain_, _Taps_, etc. They used to have a big electric sign out in the parking lot, with stick-on letters to advertise the films, because the theater itself was way over on the other end of the shopping center and you plain couldn't see it from Trail Lake. That sign was removed long ago (it had this sequential red neon arrow pointing people into the parking lot). By the 1980s the theater was split in half and became a twin screen, and they were renting VHS tapes to folks out of the lobby. Eventually it became a four-screen dollar theater (my retired parents used to go there often, Mom smuggling in popcorn in her purse). Finally it closed for good. It was some sort of nightclub for a while, and is now a church. I think the last film I ever saw in the Wedgwood was the digitally enhanced _Empire Strikes Back_. A 1980 Southwest High School yearbook says they once showed _The Rocky Horror Picture Show_ at midnight as a fundraiser for the school band. I think my brother may have gone here in the early '70s to see _The Sting_ and _Jaws_.

* Seminary South. Three screens. Outparcel building, out in the parking lot of the Seminary South Shopping Center. Affiliated with General Cinema and each film used an entertaining opening promo for "GC" with a really kickin' snare drum instrumental. My brother and sister and I always went here to see Disney's _The Jungle Book_ each time it was re-released, and we always bought a box of lemon drops at the concession stand. Today it's a bingo parlor.

* The Opera House. Single screen. I saw the original _Star Wars_ and _Annie_ here. Not sure when it closed. Is the building still there? Has it been remodeled or demolished?

* Western Hills 4. Watched the remake of _Flash Gordon_ and the animated _Lord of the Rings_ here, and didn't like either film. I was quite young at the time and didn't go to this theater very much, and I have no idea when it closed or what's there now. I don't know if I could even find it again. smile.gif

* Cineworld 4. Felix Street and I-35, in the middle of a shopping center building. I watched _9 to 5_ and _A Boy Named Charlie Brown_ here. I saw my first science-fiction double feature here: the original _War of the Worlds_ and _When Worlds Collide_. (Watch them back to back on video now and you still won't be disappointed!) Today it's a Dollar General store.

* New Isis. I never went to this theater, but I always saw it in the movie ads. This was in a totally different part of town from where I lived. Not long ago I was chatting with a clerk in a county government office and she mentioned that she used to go to the New Isis quite often when she was a little girl. When I asked her if she remembered any particular films she saw there, she had a ready, blushing response: "_Viva Las Vegas_!" Anyone have information on what this theater is being used for today?

* Ridglea. I keep confusing this theater with something else in my mind, so I may be mistaken. It was on Camp Bowie Blvd. It may have been here where I saw the original _Superman_, _Close Encounters of the Third Kind_, _Empire Strikes Back_, and _Star Trek: The Motion Picture_. (Incredibly, I did NOT like each of these films when I first saw them -- and they were always shown in the same theater.)

* Hulen 6. Behind Hulen Mall. I saw a couple of dozen great films there as a kid: _E.T._, _Raiders of the Lost Ark_, _The Muppet Movie_, _Return of the Jedi_, etc. My sister worked in the concession stand for a couple of years. I know they showed _Blazing Saddles_ there as a re-release. The last film I ever saw there was _Apollo 13_ the night it premiered, and there was a HOLE in the screen the size of a basketball. I think this theater was later expanded to 10 screens, but there was another 10-screen theater less than a mile down the road. The Hulen 6 closed (did the mall build a new theater in the mall itself? I haven't been inside Hulen Mall in ages) and the last time I saw it, it appeared to be undergoing some sort of renovation.

In reading other posts, I've been surprised to learn of several movie theaters that came and went long, long ago. I hadn't known that there once was a theater in the Westcliff Shopping Center. I'd like to hear other folks' memories of indoor movie theaters around Fort Worth over the stretch of time. What movies do you remember seeing there?

My first job--I lied about my age--was at the 1849 Village Opera House. I saw 'Patton" so many times that I can still quote right along with it. I used to gawk at the concession girls there. They wore a sort of "old San Francisco Saloon" uniform. Fishnet stockings, low cut at the top--Ooh la la!
I got turned down for admission to the Wedgwood when I tried to go see "Barbarella"--'You must be 16 to buy a ticket, sonny.'
"A Hard Day's Night" at the Hollywood--the manager stopped the movie until the screaming girls settled down!
"Swiss Family Robinson" at the Ridglea--I always thought the wall mural on the stairs to the balcony was for that movie.
"Blue Max" and "Goldfinger" at the TCU.
Haltom Theater--"Three Stooges Meet Hercules"
The Capri--uh, you never saw me there.

#43 waywr

waywr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:15 AM

I worked at Wedgwood from 80-85, and for a short time in 86, during high school and early college days.
It opened in 1967 as a single screen. First movie was "How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying."
Which I know because we had a binder, updated weekly, that listed every movie ever played there.
The theater changed ownership in 85 and the home office quit sending those pages out. Meant to take that book when I left, and wish I would have. Sure would be fun to look through the list of movies that played there now.
Wedgwood went split screen in 1976, during the run of the King Kong remake.
It became $1 house in 86 and was remodeled into a four screen late that year, or 87.
Not sure who owned them in 67, but it was an ABC Interstate Theater for years. It became a Plitt Theater a year or so before I began working there.
Other ABC/Plitt theaters in the Fort Worth area: Ridglea, 7th Street, Western Hill 4 (on Camp Bowie), Bellaire (in Hurst I think) and the four-screen theater in Alington (Can't recall the exact name. Think it was on Collins Street.) And several in Dallas, the names of which I don't remember.
Cineplex Odean (a Canadian company) bought the area Plitt Theaters in 1985. (All except 7th Street. Some local guy owned that theater, but had leased it out to ABC and Plitt. For whatever reasons, he decided not to do the same with Cineplex. Instead, he just ran it on his own as a mom-and-pop op.)
Cineplex may still exist in other parts of the country, but they only lasted about a year in Fort Worth. (A few years later the president/CEO of that company, the guy who founded the company, was voted out by the board of directors, or so I heard.)
Cinemark, a local company, bought out the Cineplex area theaters in 1986. They're still around, having built several of the typical multi-plex boxes around North Texas. But the original Fort Worth group of ABC/Plitt theaters are all sadly gone now.
Wedgwood ran as a Cinemark Theater until 92 or so. After which someone ran it as an independent $1 house for several years. It closed as a movie theater in the late 90s (not sure the actual year), sat empty for a time, then became a coffee house for a time. That closed, and the building sat empty, until it became a church, which it remains today. The TV Life Church or something like that. Not a clue what TV church is, but at least they haven't torn the building down.
Ridglea operated as a Cinemark until about the same time, then became an independently operated art-house theater for a short time (They were already running a mix of regular and art-house pics during their last few years as a Cinemark anyway).
Didn't last too long as an independently operated theater and soon became a concert venue. The couple that own it (well, operate it, don't think they own it) are the same couple that used to put on the laser light shows in the museum planetarium, which began back in the 70s.
Bo Diddly and a few other big names played Ridglea early on in its concert hall days. Now I've read it's just local heavy metal acts and that the place is having financial troubles. The owners are attempting to have the building declared a historic landmark to save it from the wrecking ball.
Ridglea opened in 1950. They split it into three screens roundabout 1987.
Western Hills, not sure when it opened. Late 60s/early 70s from the looks of it. It looked a lot like the old Cineworld out on Felix Street in the southside. Both always looked pretty dumpy, both probably looked that way since the day they opened.
Not sure when Western Hills closed. There's a mini-storage business there now. They used the old theater building for the office. Used to be a restaurant right in front of Western Hills. Think it was called Peoples. Torn down now of course.
Not sure when 7th Street closed either. Last thing I saw there was a cheesy Arnold S. and Jim Belushi movie called Red Heat around 1988.
7th Street made the paper a few years ago though. They were doing construction work in the area and some guy inadvertantly began tearing the building down even though he wasn't supposed to (not sure I'm remembering all the details correctly). Anyway, the damage rendered it beyond repair, so down the rest went.
I always figured 7th Street was older than the Ridglea, but I'm not sure when it opened.
I don't know what happened to Bellaire. Only went there twice. Once when about 12 to see a John Wayne movie, the last one he made, one with Ron Howard in it. And once several years later for a business meeting. I don't even remember where it was now.
Same with the Arlington theater. I know it's closed, think it's been torn down, but don't know when.
Seminary South opened, pretty sure, in 1969. It was a two, then a three, then a four screen. The standalone location became a bingo hall in 89 (not sure if there's anything there now though). The theater moved inside the mall, which had been remodeled from an outdoor to an indoor mall mid 80s.
It remained a General Cinema Theater only briefly before becoming an independently owned $1 house. Then it closed, then reopened. I think it shows movies dubbed in Spanish now.
Other General Cinemas in the area were: Opera House and the one off I-30 behind the Toys R Us, and the one that was up the street, north, from Ridgemar Mall.
The one by Toys R Us opened about 1979 and closed 199something. Just remember driving by one day and realizing, oh, it's closed. Building is still there, empty I think.
The one by Ridgemar Mall opened about 1986. I remember seeing Platoon there, which was one of the first movies they played. It too closed mid to late 90s and is now one of those movie and restaurant beer and burger affairs. Pretty sure it's still open.
Not sure when Opera House opened, but it was around when I was little. Last movies I remember seeing there were Fletch, Emerald Forest and Superman III (And no, I have no idea why I spent money to see Superman III), which was 85/86. It closed late 80s. Someone told me the Bass brothers bought that land up to develop.
Whoever bought it, they tore all the cool stuff down to erect some real exciting office buildings. Now there's a bunch of apartments or condos there, built practically on the street, which also necessitated tearing down the old Jettons Cafeteria, which had operated as a church for more than a decade anyway.
I don't know if General Cinema still exists in other parts of the country.
Only one from my younger days that still exists as a theater is the one at Hulen Mall. Opened as a United Artists Theater in 1979. Now it's a beer and burger movie place. Maybe owned by the same people that own the one by Ridgemar.
The one down the street on Hulen is still a movie theater too. That opened in 1986 as an AMC theater (Back to School was the first movie I saw there). Now it's owned by some other company.
One last one, if you're still awake after reading all these facts and dates, the movie theater on East Lancaster. I don't know how old it was or who owned it. We did see a couple of midnight movies there back in the early 80s and went there maybe one other time to see a regular, during the day, movie.
But I remember reading about it in the newspaper sometime during the 80s that it caught on fire. Someone broke in, before opening, and robbed the manager. They then handcuffed the manager to a chair in one of the theaters and set the place on fire before fleeing. Fortunately, someone on the street heard the guy yelling and called police/fire, who got the guy out before he got hurt. The fire damage caused them to close the theater though. I'm guessing the building has been torn down, but don't know.
I'll post some more theater stories here shortly.

#44 waywr

waywr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:55 AM

Here's a story.
1984, we had "Tightrope", a Clint Eastwood movie, playing at Wedgwood. Wasn't that great a movie, and it didn't do a lot of business. All the same, it played six weeks or so.
Roundabout the fifth day or so, we all began noticing that one woman came to see it, first showing, everyday. Which was strange. Kids do that sometimes, see a movie over and over. So does the crowd for the James Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek kind of stuff.
Women usually don't. At least, maybe for "When Harry Met Sally" or "Sex In the City" type movies, but not for C. Eastwood action films.
The woman, 40ish, looked normal and all. Well, she just kept showing up. Stranger yet, she sometimes watched the whole show, but usually left about 30 minutes into the movie.
Certainly had us wondering what was what.
So a couple of weeks in, Byron, one of the doormen, finally just asked.
None of my business m'am, but can't help noticing you're here everyday.

Oh, yes.

Well, I mean, do you just really like this movie?

Um, s'OK I guess.

Big Clint Eastwood fan?

He's a pretty good actor. Guess I like him.

OK. Sooooo, what's the deal? Why do you keep coming?

I just like to read today's date and the new headlines on the newspaper.

Oh then...What?

At which point the woman explained that, about 20 minutes in, Eastwood walks through the police station with a cup of coffee, stops at a desk and picks up a newspaper. Just when he's about to look at it, the police chief, or one of the other characters in the film, walks up and begins talking to him. Eastwood converses with the guy for 30 or so seconds while still holding the coffee and the paper.

The paper, so the woman said, changed daily to reflect today's date, and it had new headlines everyday.

I, standing nearby, didn't say anything, but thought, "Oh, you're a nutcase. Fair enough. Carry on."

She showed up daily through the run of the film. After that, we never saw her again.

Naturally, the very next show, all five or whatever of us were working that night, walked down by the front row about 20 minutes in. Eastwood does in fact pick up a paper and talk to another cop. You can't even read the name of the paper, let alone the headlines or date. Not that we actually thought they were going to change day to day mind. But, you know, had to check.

#45 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

I have a clarification on the demolition of the 7th Street Theater. It was not a guy just doing construction in the area and he inadvertantly started tearing down the building. It actually was an intentional demolition in the middle of the night and over the weekend. I believe the theater had a Demolition Delay designation on it, but the city didn't verify their records and allowed the demolition permit to be granted. Then the demolition started over a weekend when it would be difficult to stop by action of the city. Eventually, I think the Landmarks Commission ruled that too much of the theater had already beed destroyed and allowed the demolition to be finished. I believe the 7th Street was opened in 1941; therefore, it was older than the Ridglea.

#46 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jan 20 2010, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a clarification on the demolition of the 7th Street Theater. It was not a guy just doing construction in the area and he inadvertantly started tearing down the building. It actually was an intentional demolition in the middle of the night and over the weekend. I believe the theater had a Demolition Delay designation on it, but the city didn't verify their records and allowed the demolition permit to be granted. Then the demolition started over a weekend when it would be difficult to stop by action of the city. Eventually, I think the Landmarks Commission ruled that too much of the theater had already beed destroyed and allowed the demolition to be finished. I believe the 7th Street was opened in 1941; therefore, it was older than the Ridglea.

Yes, we remember this furtive demolition.
Last movie we saw at the 7th was a re-issue of Gone With the Wind in the mid-late 80's. If the oppportunity arises, just take the racist bits in context; heckle them as needed --it was 1939--and see it with an audience.

#47 waywr

waywr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

What was the name of the theater on Camp Bowie that's now a bank? Down on the brick part by Harper's Bakery.
I don't remember ever seeing a movie there. I do remember in the summer of 1982 they had a two bands for $2 deal every week. Local punk and new wave bands. We went to a couple of those, saw the Fort Worth Cats and Hugh Beaumont Experience think it was.
There was another old theater off 1-30 close to Camp Bowie, think it was the Heights. About 79/80 they ran old classic and cult films there. I remember seeing Gimme Shelter with the Rolling Stones and Bonnie & Clyde I think. Never saw anything there when it was a first-run theater. That place got torn down in the early 80s when they did construction work on 30.

#48 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (waywr @ Feb 14 2010, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What was the name of the theater on Camp Bowie that's now a bank? Down on the brick part by Harper's Bakery.
I don't remember ever seeing a movie there. I do remember in the summer of 1982 they had a two bands for $2 deal every week. Local punk and new wave bands. We went to a couple of those, saw the Fort Worth Cats and Hugh Beaumont Experience think it was.

That would be the Bowie Theater.

#49 waywr

waywr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

That's it. Thanks Bailey. Just went blank on the name earlier.

#50 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (waywr @ Feb 14 2010, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was another old theater off 1-30 close to Camp Bowie, think it was the Heights. About 79/80 they ran old classic and cult films there. I remember seeing Gimme Shelter with the Rolling Stones and Bonnie & Clyde I think. Never saw anything there when it was a first-run theater. That place got torn down in the early 80s when they did construction work on 30.

It began and ended its life as the Heights. Built as a neighborhood theater in 1949 along with the rest of that strip center, it was by the 1960s doing business as the Capri and showing porn flims. I don't know when the Capri closed or how long it was until the theater reopened under new management but when it did it was as the Borzoi, showing, as you say, classic and cult films. After the Borzoi failed, the next owners continued this practice but restored the theater's original name. I went a few times during this art-house phase, seeing If..., Meetings With Remarkable Men, and The Man Who Fell to Earth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users