FWIllustrator's Photo:

VilladeLeon_web.jpg

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#2 FWillustrator

FWillustrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:architectural illustration, concept design, environmental graphics

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:32 PM

Updated, official illustration...rear aerial and view from DT coming soon.

IPB Image

#3 FWillustrator

FWillustrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:36 PM

Bluff-side views...

IPB Image

IPB Image

#4 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:40 PM

That's a gorgeous building, and those are beautiful illustrations!

--

Kara B.

#5 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:07 PM

Awesome, especially the back view

#6 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:14 AM

Can you find five things that are different in the first two renderings?

1. Girl with dog

#7 FWillustrator

FWillustrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:01 AM

Six things, actually...and that's a baby stroller she's pushing, not a dog on a leash (the image is cropped).

#8 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:40 AM

Well, the Sprinter van and two generic cars in the first image changed to (from left to right, as I see them) a Mercedes SLK, an Audi A6 (iffy on that one, could also be a Mercedes of some sort or maybe even a Ford Five Hundred) and a Range Rover, and there's an additional car coming out of the building parking (I assume).

This has been your daily car geekery post. smile.gif

--

Kara B.

#9 FWillustrator

FWillustrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:00 AM

I forgot I added the beamer coming out of the garage, so that makes a total of seven changes. Good call on the A6 - it's actually supposed to be an A8 (if I remember correctly) I'm not really a car person...I just find images on the internet that look interesting, and draw from them. In fact the SUV was originally going to be a Mercedes also, because it was just easier to get all my images form one website. After I found out that the client had just purchased a new Range Rover, I decided to draw that instead wink.gif

Two more to go...

#10 jmilam

jmilam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:48 AM

Different Chimney Cap and flowers are no longer present, as there are new plants in the front beds...

#11 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE(jmilam @ Jan 16 2007, 11:48 AM) View Post

Different Chimney Cap and flowers are no longer present, as there are new plants in the front beds...

Also, picture #1 has a cement something on the ground under the balconies. Can't tell if it is supposed to be sidewalk, pond. bench or what.

Or maybe the cement item just doesn't show in picture #2 because of the different ground cover.

gbs

#12 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:56 AM

That new chimney cap completely changes the character and style of the building tongue.gif

#13 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

Great drawings, but I think the building's design is pretty boring. It's great infill up on the bluff, though, and that's the important thing.

#14 SLO

SLO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:13 AM

I think the building will be striking when built. Is it brick & cast stone w/slate roofing? The rear elevation is more interesting, also the rear illustration shows copper finials on the roof.....
Who is the architect....

#15 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:20 AM

Ames Fender is the architect. Yes, it's brick and cast stone, but the slate may not be green. There's discussion of some mottled gold/rust/brown slate that's recently become available. I've seen it other places, but not in FW yet. It's not only striking, it's highly unusual.

#16 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:30 PM

A public notice is posted on the telephone pole in front of this project regarding a certificate of appropriateness for the Downtown Urban Design District. Not sure if/when the hearing will be, but John T. might know. Looks like the project is moving forward. I know they have at least one unit sold and probably more.

#17 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:55 PM

If it has been posted within the last few days, then the hearing will be in May. I believe the date is already scheduled on the Forum Calendar. Once I get the agenda, I will post it in the calendar listing. I usually receive the agenda about one week before the meeting.

#18 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

I looked at the agenda today and apparently they are looking to get a certificate of appropriateness to put in a temporary parking lot and a sales trailer for up to a year on the building site. I suppose we won't be seeing any new construction there until they sell a few more units.

Agenda

#19 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

During the Urban Homes Tour on the 28th Tom Struhs got on the bus and explained the project to us. He did answer me that they will be done before the Onmi. I didn't ask when they were starting though.

Erik France

#20 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:29 AM

Someone needs to get out the photoshop and lower the roof on that rendering by about 3 floors. I assume the building mentioned in this article refers to Villa DeLeon.

Did anyone else get a copy of DTFWI's downtown dashboard? From what I gather, the downtown residential and office market are still strong compared to last year, but there seems to be a slight cooling in downtown housing sales (especially in the price per square foot area). Sounds like condos are still selling, but developers have cut prices to make sure sales are still occurring.

Council OKs keeping tax agreement with developer
By Anthony Spangler and Mike Lee
Star-Telegram staff writer
FORT WORTH -- Trinity Bluff Development's plan to scale back on proposed luxury apartments overlooking the Trinity River in downtown Fort Worth will not invalidate the city's agreement to provide tax breaks for the projects, the City Council agreed.

The council voted 8-1 Tuesday to allow City Manager Charles Boswell to adjust the agreements between Fort Worth and the development as the project changes. Councilman Chuck Silcox voted against it.

The developers, led by Tom Struhs, are reducing a proposed six-story project to three stories and reducing the total investment by $13 million, but they plan to enhance development of a four-story project by $5.7 million.

The city had agreed to provide grants up to 100 percent of the property taxes paid on the project.

#21 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

Andy, VDL will be built as shown. Lincoln's next project has been reconfigured based on construction costs. The city agreements had both number of units as well as total square footage---some of the footwork had to do with clarification over the city's itent. The article is not really clear on what happened.

#22 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

From the article, I thought it was Villa De Leon that was shortened. Thanks for the information.

#23 BobZupcic

BobZupcic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:20 PM

If it was not VDL, what was it? I thought that was the only property remaining near Samuels Ave that Struhs was involved in.

#24 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE(BobZupcic @ May 16 2007, 11:20 PM) View Post

If it was not VDL, what was it? I thought that was the only property remaining near Samuels Ave that Struhs was involved in.

IPB Image

It's an old image, but you get the idea.

--

Kara B.

#25 BobZupcic

BobZupcic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ May 17 2007, 06:37 AM) View Post

It's an old image, but you get the idea.

Yes, I've seen that, but it appears the vast majority of that is no where close to even being permitted and many of them have been dropped all together. For example, the 16-story tower south of the Palisades on the belknap access road...that land is still owned by the convenience store owner and he has not expressed an interest to sell at current sale prices.

I'm wondering what project, other than Villa De Leon, is Struhs involved with enough to have plans being altered at this stage.

#26 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE(BobZupcic @ May 17 2007, 08:35 AM) View Post

I'm wondering what project, other than Villa De Leon, is Struhs involved with enough to have plans being altered at this stage.

plenty. he has more than enough land positions left to be building things.

#27 BobZupcic

BobZupcic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(PLS @ May 17 2007, 09:12 AM) View Post

plenty. he has more than enough land positions left to be building things.

I guess what I was looking for was something specific. The developers, led by Struhs, are proposing to reduce a six-story project to three stories. It sounded like somebody might know something specific.

I appreciate the "there is a lot planned in the area" and "Struhs owns a lot of it" updates. wacko.gif

#28 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:29 AM

I suppose you'd have to ask Lincoln Property. From what Redhead says, it was not Struhs' project that is getting revised and it sounds like it was a project that hasn't been specifically/publicly announced yet.

Good to hear that Villa DeLeon is still a go as planned.

#29 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE(BobZupcic @ May 17 2007, 09:48 AM) View Post

I guess what I was looking for was something specific. The developers, led by Struhs, are proposing to reduce a six-story project to three stories. It sounded like somebody might know something specific.

I appreciate the "there is a lot planned in the area" and "Struhs owns a lot of it" updates. wacko.gif

struhs is the land owner and jv partner for many of the projects going on in the area, though his name is not necessarily attached to the vertical development. redhead seems to have inside knowledge and is able to share freely. i have some knowledge of the projects, but i'm bound by a confidentiality agreement, so what exactly i can comment on is a little touchy. i do appreciate your sarcasm though. unsure.gif

#30 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ May 17 2007, 06:37 AM) View Post

IPB Image

Where on this map will VDL go?
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#31 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(texastrill @ May 18 2007, 02:22 PM) View Post

Where on this map will VDL go?

To the right of Nash Elementary. Like I said, this is an old map. I think VDL will roughly be where the multi-family development right of Nash is on the map.

--

Kara B.

#32 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

More precisely, it will be immediately adjacent to Nash Elementary where I think it is labelled 3 level underground parking. While Mr. Struhs may have an agreement to buy Mr. Burda's house in the future, he is still there (although looking at a construction fence along his south line now.

#33 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

It looks like they have started grading in the vacant lot across the street from the Villa DeLeon site for what I assume will be a sales office or construction management office (although by the quality of the grading I would guess sales office).

#34 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:35 PM

Sales office/construction office TRAILER in both cases. The only constant is there will be a parking area dedicated to VDL's guests. Don't know the exact configuration...but the units are being contracted quickly. I think there are only 16 or 17 left and ground is not yet broken. Sad but does not hurt that the Neil P is no longer a contender...,parking was (I think) their nemesis.

#35 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE(redhead @ Aug 7 2007, 12:35 AM) View Post

Sad but does not hurt that the Neil P is no longer a contender...,parking was (I think) their nemesis.

So sales haven't been good @ Neil P??

#36 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(redhead @ Aug 6 2007, 11:35 PM) View Post

Sales office/construction office TRAILER in both cases. The only constant is there will be a parking area dedicated to VDL's guests. Don't know the exact configuration...but the units are being contracted quickly. I think there are only 16 or 17 left and ground is not yet broken. Sad but does not hurt that the Neil P is no longer a contender...,parking was (I think) their nemesis.

Right on the office. I assumed it would be a trailer, but I am impressed with the effort they are making to carve out a nice little parking area with some landscape areas. Hopefully the rebuild of Samuels Avenue will be finished sometime in the next decade or two and that stretch of road will start looking a lot better.

I'm with VJackson on the Neil P. comment. ???

#37 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:51 PM

Andy, as I am sure you are aware, much of the Samuels rebuild effort is utility relocation---for which the developer has NO CONTROL!! Every effort thas been made to hasten construction, but the developer has little to NO influence. "The earth is slow and the oxen are patient." It's a good thing--because NONE of the rest of us are!!! Anyway, it's getting there!

As for Neil P. I would have liked for the plan to have suceeded. I think the 50/cent a foot HOA per month was too much to swallow, followed by the parking issue. I would still like to see somebody figure a way to make the space work.

#38 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:48 AM

Yes, I am a very keen observer of the utility work. What I do not understand was the 2-3 month period with zero activity. Something must have gotten uncorked recently, though, because the gas lines have been installed and there is a lot of work going on east of the tracks (although I am not sure this is related).

As uncomfortable as the driving is, I think the positive attitude is not to curse the developer, but to think how much nicer things are going to be when the work is done. Kudos to the developer for sparking so much investment in this part of town.

#39 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:54 PM

Andy, the "dead" period had to do with some unresolved utility issues... Once that was resolved, the work resumed

#40 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:40 PM

The sales/construction management trailers have been installed. As mentioned previously, they did install a concrete parking area, which is surprising to me for a temporary office. Possibly to be reused by future development?

Also, from today's FW Business Press:

Donna Whatley has joined Villa de Leon as director of sales.

#41 ttomlin

ttomlin

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

Villa de Leon has their web site up now: www.villadeleon.com

It has tons of information including floor plans and more.

#42 ftworth1313

ftworth1313

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

Donna Whatley is a great choice. She knows her stuff!

#43 MetroCode

MetroCode

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Urban development, restoration of old neighborhoods, civic projects... i'm an engineer nerd!

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Aug 10 2007, 07:48 AM) View Post

Yes, I am a very keen observer of the utility work. What I do not understand was the 2-3 month period with zero activity. Something must have gotten uncorked recently, though, because the gas lines have been installed and there is a lot of work going on east of the tracks (although I am not sure this is related).

As uncomfortable as the driving is, I think the positive attitude is not to curse the developer, but to think how much nicer things are going to be when the work is done. Kudos to the developer for sparking so much investment in this part of town.

I would love to get a hold of the Architect and or GC of this project... got any leads?
McConstruction Company
(817)377-4779 ext 35
General Contracting and Construction Management Services.

#44 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, you and me both. I would love to survey for them, but the bought some of the land from Brooks Baker Surveying who has been doing most of the surveying and platting for them. Maybe it was part of the land deal.

I think some of their sales people read the site from time to time, but you'd probably have better luck calling their office directly.

#45 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:43 AM

Possibly part of the deal, allthough I usually find it easier to stick with the same Surveyor if they had already done work on the property. They've already established control lines, researched it, and developed drawings.

Erik France

#46 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

Sorry, I'e been too busy to chat.
Architect: Ames Fender
Surveyor: Brookes Baker

And parking lot will be guest parking for VDL long term.

#47 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(redhead @ Oct 1 2007, 08:42 PM) View Post

And parking lot will be guest parking for VDL long term.

Hmm. That seems an odd choice. I would hope the parking lot would eventually be hidden as much as possible if that's going to be its long-term use.

--

Kara B.

#48 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:24 AM

Sounds like some changes have been made to the Villa DeLeon design. From the DDRB:

Revisions from the previously approved conceptual design:

a. Change cast stone on first floor to Acrustone (a hardened Portland cement material);
b. Change GFRC (Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete) details on upper floors to Acrustone; and
c. Change brick masonry on floors 2 thru 6 to stucco.

--

Kara B.

#49 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:44 AM

^^
Are these changes supposed to be aesthetic improvements or Centex Cityhomes style cost cutting?? Acrustone?? Never heard of it. And on this particular design, I can't imagine a stucco exterior. It's going to look very cheap, kinda like a budget hotel. At least I think it would until I can see a rendering. I really like (liked) this design. I hoped it hasn't been ruined.

#50 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:56 AM

ArcusStone?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Uptown, Residential, Samuels Avenue, Condominiums, New Construction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users