6 replies to this topic

#1 PDowntown

PDowntown

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:28 PM

Does anyone have pictures of what that place looked like inside when it was still a theatre?

I went there a few times when it was still a bar and always wondered what the theater looked like

#2 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (PDowntown @ Jan 3 2008, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone have pictures of what that place looked like inside when it was still a theatre?

I went there a few times when it was still a bar and always wondered what the theater looked like

When was it a bar?

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:42 PM

I don't ever remember the 7th Street Theater being a bar.

#4 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:07 AM

I don't think it was. There was one on the West side of it.

#5 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:27 AM

It was never a bar. It was still owned by the man who had owned it for decades, but something happened to his health and his son sold it - at least that's what I heard around the neighborhood. It was still a working movie theater up until a few years ago. It's a shame that it was lost. I guess the Ridglea is the only old theater left... and really it's not anything like it was back in the day. I remember sneaking in to see Jaws at the Ridglea - I was too young to get in - and that movie scared the crap out of me. I still don't swim in the ocean because of that movie. Well, that and the fact that I actually witnessed a shark attack while I was in Port Aransas as a kid. You'll never catch me in the ocean!

#6 jp54

jp54

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

The 7th Street Theatre is where the showed "The Rocky Horror Picture Show".  For those of us that remember that movie the people would dress up like the actors in the film and act crazy.  Fun times.

#7 austlar1

austlar1

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

The interior of the 7th St. Theater was nothing special really.  It was a bit like the old Parkway. It was built around the same time and outfitted similarly.  In the 1950's it got more prestigious bookings, not quite an art house but a place where movies tended to run for a while after leaving downtown or possibly skipping downtown altogether. I remember seeing West Side Story there in the early 1960s.  It had a fairly long run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users