23 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

Premiering November 2nd. I know my mom is excited!

http://www.hgtv.com/...flop-fort-worth

Curious how the show will portray FW, and how the show will influence the neighborhoods it is set in. The previews look like *really* run down areas.

#2 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

nothing that'll make us look 'city'. basically fields, cows, guns, and BBQs. 

#3 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

Premiering November 2nd. I know my mom is excited!

http://www.hgtv.com/...flop-fort-worth

Curious how the show will portray FW, and how the show will influence the neighborhoods it is set in. The previews look like *really* run down areas.

No different from DIY network. Texas Flip N Move that started in 2014. I hear it is a hit show on that network. They make it very clear about it being in and around Fort Worth.  So I don't really expect any real different image about Fort Worth on this show. We will see I guess.

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

I'm sure this will be good exposure for the city, but the thing to remember about these real estate and home renovation "reality" shows is that the final on air product is what the producers and networks want you to see and not necessarily reality.  I've had a friend and an acquaintance appear on different HGTV shows.

One appeared on House Hunters about 10 years ago.  They shopped for a home in the HEB area.  None of the 3 houses that they looked at were actually for sale (2 of them belong to close friends) and the house they "bought" on the show was not the house that they lived in.

I had an acquaintance that appeared on Fixer Upper last season.  They had already picked out the home they purchased on the show and never considered the other two that they looked at.  The dollar figures thrown out on the show for the final product are not terribly accurate.  I don't think it's much of a secret that the furnishings and some decor installed on the show are extra expenses, but there is also a service fee for the show talent that's not included in the advertised cost.

#5 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:05 AM

I'm sure this will be good exposure for the city, but the thing to remember about these real estate and home renovation "reality" shows is that the final on air product is what the producers and networks want you to see and not necessarily reality.  I've had a friend and an acquaintance appear on different HGTV shows.

One appeared on House Hunters about 10 years ago.  They shopped for a home in the HEB area.  None of the 3 houses that they looked at were actually for sale (2 of them belong to close friends) and the house they "bought" on the show was not the house that they lived in.

I had an acquaintance that appeared on Fixer Upper last season.  They had already picked out the home they purchased on the show and never considered the other two that they looked at.  The dollar figures thrown out on the show for the final product are not terribly accurate.  I don't think it's much of a secret that the furnishings and some decor installed on the show are extra expenses, but there is also a service fee for the show talent that's not included in the advertised cost.

In other words, it's television. 

But the reality is that this is good exposure for Fort Worth.  I was actually happy to see a black couple as the two stars.  Not because I care about what race someone is, but because my assumption would have been that HGTV would select a white couple with a very thick Texas accent so they could play up the Fort Worth thing.  I like that it's portraying our diversity. 

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

I thought the same thing and I left that last point out of my post. I didn't mean to belittle the point of it being great exposure regardless of the nuances of reality television. If the preview shots are any indication, we'll see plenty of b-roll of the daily cattle drive, people eating mediocre BBQ at Angelo's, and sweeping panoramas of AT&T Stadium and I'm good with that if it helps people remember the show was filmed in Fort Worth.

#7 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

Did anybody else catch the premier?

#8 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

It was today? Oops.

EDIT: I'm recording the 11:00 rerun.

-Dylan

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:27 PM

It was alright I guess.

#10 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

I see Flip & Move all the time (my brother loves that show) and as far as "reality" shows go, whatever. I'll look at 10ish minutes of something like that with some interest, but a show like this loses me when the personalities of the participants become as much a part of the entertainment as the basic premise. Flip & Move is starting to make that transition a little, but now like Pawn Stars or Mythbusters or Pickers..... I want to see what the participants are doing, I don't want to get to know the participants!

I like how Fort Worth is central to Flip & Move, kinda neat to see the Bass Bros buildings on TV. The folks on Flip & Move sure do fit the personalities of rural and suburban types I've know from Denton and Tarrant counties, actually, these characters are much more true to what I've known than any of the "reality" personalities of shows based in Dallas -- the Dallas shows seems to have been built in the caricature of real people's antics from the beginning. I'm scared to watch Real Housewives of Dallas because I think it's probably the dumbest thing ever.

I know CMT(?) has a Fort Worth Cowgirl show, but I've never seen it. It's good enough exposure for the city until the stereotypes really start to twist and turn, then it' could easily show negative. 

#11 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

I PRAY that we never see "Real Housewives of Fort Worth"   :( 

#12 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

I haven't seen the show but I know a good friend of mine posted screenshots that she is in the first episode - so that's cool.

--

Kara B.

#13 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

Finally watched tonight. It was overall, fair assessment of prices in area and good rehab. Scenes around town were all what I would consider heart of the city and not all cowboys. I will watch it again.

#14 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:47 PM

Driving by Arlington Ave just now and it appears they may be filming for a HGTV type show.

#15 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:10 PM

New show on HGTV premiered tonight set in Fort Worth called "One of a Kind."  Looks like a reno in Ridglea Country Club Estates, but I don'w know for sure.  But the byline was Fort Worth.  I remember RCCE 'cause I lived there while attending Monnig.  Does anyone know where they filmed for this one?

#16 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:23 PM

I've read an article or two about the host.  She's a TCU alum and lives in Mistletoe.  I'm not sure if just the one episode or the whole season was filmed in Fort Worth.

#17 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:26 PM

OK, live blogging the broadcast - looks like the house is in Tanglewood or Overton Park.  My bad.  Plus, they added a feature of photos of cool Fort Worth stuff on one of the interior walls.  TCU stadium and Joe T's photos prominently featured.  

#18 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:40 PM

OK, live blogging the broadcast - looks like the house is in Tanglewood or Overton Park.  My bad.  Plus, they added a feature of photos of cool Fort Worth stuff on one of the interior walls.  TCU stadium and Joe T's photos prominently featured.  

Really well done show.  Fort Worth looked good and got great mentions.  The transition at the end was to a House Hunters episode in Dover, Delaware. Dover doesn't look real nice from that show.  Just a word of encouragement to the naysayers on this forum - Fort Worth is a well regarded, edgy in its own way, contemporary, nationally noted in so many ways, place with wonderful quality of life, city for the 21st century.  Constructive criticism is helpful.  Cheap shots are not (see many local posts on this forum).  Please realize that you live in a wonderful, ever-changing, improving city.  Austin has nothing on Fort Worth in my opinion.  Maybe a few more high rises.  But, I, personally don't measure a great city by vertical profile.  Rome is my favorite in the world.  Fort Worth is Dubai by that standard.  Just a personal thought.    

#19 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:54 AM

They filmed a show of legend in Benbrook

#20 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:30 AM

Really well done show.  Fort Worth looked good and got great mentions.  The transition at the end was to a House Hunters episode in Dover, Delaware. Dover doesn't look real nice from that show.  Just a word of encouragement to the naysayers on this forum - Fort Worth is a well regarded, edgy in its own way, contemporary, nationally noted in so many ways, place with wonderful quality of life, city for the 21st century.  Constructive criticism is helpful.  Cheap shots are not (see many local posts on this forum).  Please realize that you live in a wonderful, ever-changing, improving city.  Austin has nothing on Fort Worth in my opinion.  Maybe a few more high rises.  But, I, personally don't measure a great city by vertical profile.  Rome is my favorite in the world.  Fort Worth is Dubai by that standard.  Just a personal thought.    

Well said Ramjet.  I understand the desire for more skyscrapers, but I always look at both sides of the coin.  I have lived in a few major cities with a lot of skyscrapers and extreme density (San Francisco, Chicago and Seattle) and after a while the skyscrapers just disappear and they are the last thing you think about when determining what a city should provide.  All 3 cities had their pros and also their cons but for me the cons of those cities outweighed the pros and I chose to move back home to FW to be closer to family.  It was truly the best decision I made in my life.  I enjoyed experiencing life in another city but it just cemented to me that we don't have it so bad here.  I can experience almost everything I can in most other major cities without the expense, the congestion and the headaches. 

I also went to NYC recently after not visiting for about 10 years and I was utterly unimpressed.  Food was overpriced and mediocre (although we did go to a nice restaurant but spent over $300 for 4 with no alcoholic drinks), the Subways were filthy and many looked like they should be condemned, trash bags piled 3ft high on the sidewalks waiting for the garbage truck and everyone on the streets is trying to scam you in some way.  Awe-inspiring skyscrapers aside, I have no desire to ever return.  On a side note: I did love the 9/11 Museum (a must see), the Met and the Natural History Museum.  However when I got back home to FW I felt a sense of peace and calmness because FW is a very easy city to live in.  We had 2 great meals when we got back and both meals together was under $50 for 2.  I think sometimes it easy to take it for granted because many of us here feel that we are not recognized because we don't have an impressive skyline, but to me I look at the heart of a city and what it gives to me on the inside.  An impressive skyline would be nice but it's not the end all be all of what makes a city great or not.

I will get off my soapbox now.  Sorry to go off topic.

#21 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:46 PM

Well said on all accounts.  I can tell a lot more about a city on the ground in the center than I can by looking at the buildings from 10 miles away.

I love NYC and I like that I've been a handful of times and found something new that I love on every visit.  We have our traditions when we go and that's probably what makes it fun.  That said, I'm always happy to be back home.  Fun to visit, no desire to live there.

This forum deals with a niche and I've found that any platform populated with people that are enthusiastic about a niche delves into negativity from time to time, often unintentionally.  I'm as guilty as anyone else, but I've tried to be more conscious of intentionally steering clear.  At the end of the day, Fort Worth is on a positive trajectory and I'm thankful that there are good people here working for the good of the city.

#22 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

I lived in New York City from 1989 to 2002 and watched it literally change before my eyes from a gritty, crime-infested, poorly run city to a shiny, thriving, safe, clean-ish city with a bright future.  It was during the time Rudy Giuliani was mayor.  Say what you will about the man, he was(is) not very personable, but he knew how to run a city.  I too visited NYC recently and was so disappointed in its very visible decline (though, I agree, it still has some cool stuff).

Anyway, back on topic, the publicity for the new HGTV show, "One of a KInd" says all the episodes would be featuring homes in and around Fort Worth.  Should be fun to watch.  BTW, that makes three Fort Worth centered shows on HGTV and DIY recently.  That's not counting the the few House Hunters episodes that were set there.  There must be some Fort Worth connections in those networks.  I've seen a few House Hunters and Property Brothers episodes set here in Austin, but I can't think of a whole series like that set here.  (You can probably tell I watch way too much HGTV.) 

I also went to NYC recently after not visiting for about 10 years and I was utterly unimpressed.  Food was overpriced and mediocre (although we did go to a nice restaurant but spent over $300 for 4 with no alcoholic drinks), the Subways were filthy and many looked like they should be condemned, trash bags piled 3ft high on the sidewalks waiting for the garbage truck and everyone on the streets is trying to scam you in some way.  Awe-inspiring skyscrapers aside, I have no desire to ever return.  

#23 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:20 PM

..... Constructive criticism is helpful.  Cheap shots are not (see many local posts on this forum).  Please realize that you live in a wonderful, ever-changing, improving city.....

I think that you have suggested a subject that perhaps you may need to delve into further being that it reads of criticism.  It has been my experience that cheap shots on this Forum have been remarkably infrequent.

#24 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:12 PM

..... Constructive criticism is helpful.  Cheap shots are not (see many local posts on this forum).  Please realize that you live in a wonderful, ever-changing, improving city.....

I think that you have suggested a subject that perhaps you may need to delve into further being that it reads of criticism.  It has been my experience that cheap shots on this Forum have been remarkably infrequent.

I hold up as an example the recent thread noting that the Travel Channel recognized Fort Worth as a city with significant, under the radar, great architecture.  The thread was met with three comments on this forum calling the recognition as insignificant, the lack of the Kahn reference, even though the Kimbell was highlighted, as a "shame," and the complaint that the reader had to "click" through the article as an inconvenience.  It made my blood boil.  A recognition like this, Fort Worth was one of several INTERNATiONAL cities picked, would be celebrated in other places.  Heck, I would put money that if Austin made this list it would be on the front page of the Statesman the day it was printed.  I really don't understand, as noted by my many previous posts, why you folks don't appreciate what you have in your city.  Yes, I thought all that was a cheap shot. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users