* * * * * 1 votes

DT: Former Bank One Bldg. has gone Condo.

• Please log in to reply
1085 replies to this topic

#1051 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Jan 4 2007, 06:05 PM) View Post

I saw signs on the space for the first time today for the Vault and Cantina Laredo. And worker are back at the Qdoba space. But sadly I think Quiznos in the next block over has gone belly up. All the goodies are gone and did not reopen after the holiday like the sign said. cry.gif

I talked to a worker over the summer and said they did a lot of traffic during the weekday from the police department. I guess it was not enough.

I noticed Quiznos and Potbelly's were both closed on Sunday December 17th. The day there were 40,000. Motorcyclists downtown wanting to eat before the big Toy Run. I ran up to Potbelly's to buy a bag of sandwiches just to see they were closed that day. I bet 15 people were wanting in the same time I was standing there. I just wondered why these place were not more in touch with what was going on downtown, or that they already had more money than they could spend. I wound up down at Zippy's and stood in a long line for my burgers. For sure, they could have had 3 weeks worth of business that day.
www.fortworthview.com

#1052 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:14 PM

wonderful, another chain restaurant downtown. yipee.

#1053 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:21 PM

Well if its going to "Open Soon" like Qdoba. It won't be open for another two years! newlaugh.gif

#1054 FWDowntowner

FWDowntowner

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:43 AM

Any idea when the convenience store will be here?

#1055 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(FWDowntowner @ Jan 17 2007, 12:43 AM) View Post

It was slotted to go where the leasing office is currently, all the other spots are taken, from what I’m told. They submitted the variance request since that spot is within 300' of one of the Church's entrances next door, so everyone was thinking it was going to be anytime now. I just came back from downstairs and they are not on this years lease agreements so I'm guessing there may be some problems. Exactly what, I don't know, but it's not looking like any time soon.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#1056 FWDowntowner

FWDowntowner

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE(David Love @ Jan 17 2007, 04:46 PM) View Post

QUOTE(FWDowntowner @ Jan 17 2007, 12:43 AM) View Post

It was slotted to go where the leasing office is currently, all the other spots are taken, from what I’m told. They submitted the variance request since that spot is within 300' of one of the Church's entrances next door, so everyone was thinking it was going to be anytime now. I just came back from downstairs and they are not on this years lease agreements so I'm guessing there may be some problems. Exactly what, I don't know, but it's not looking like any time soon.

Thanks. Currently I go to Walgreen's I need to remember to use the Downtown Deli also. Patronize downtown!

#1057 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(Urbndwlr @ Jan 8 2007, 08:14 PM) View Post

Well, I just noticed signs on the North West corner of the building for a restaurant called "The Vault - Fine Dining". Maybe that has already been reported, but at least it doesn't sound like a chain.

#1058 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Jan 19 2007, 08:42 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Urbndwlr @ Jan 8 2007, 08:14 PM) View Post

Well, I just noticed signs on the North West corner of the building for a restaurant called "The Vault - Fine Dining". Maybe that has already been reported, but at least it doesn't sound like a chain.

Someone at Stream said they had the rest of the retail spoken for; the lease office is on the south west corner I believe. Don't know if it's just letters of intent or what, guess we'll find out in time.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#1059 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

There was something in the ST a week or so ago that said that the Vault is a project by the same people who did the Balcony on Camp Bowie, which as I recall, was a bit on the expensive side. May be some competition for the FW Club.

I think there's still about 1000 sq. ft. of retail space available just to the north of the building's main entrance on Taylor.

#1060 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(hooked @ Jan 19 2007, 05:04 PM) View Post

I think there's still about 1000 sq. ft. of retail space available just to the north of the building's main entrance on Taylor.

A tough place to fill, would get zero visibility, would have to rely on Tower patronage in a large degree and would have to provide products or services in demand enough to warrant the walk for others. Where being on the corner, if you regularly visit Sundance, you eventually go by that corner parking or walking.
Maybe a high end coffee / wine / cheese / beer / nicotine / etc… package store but I see more problems than solutions, as in serious parking issues, unless the street was made one way but still a problem as well as a huge list of other issues.

#1061 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

I'm pretty sure that's why it's the only space left.

#1062 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:13 PM

There does appear to be more activity on the street level retail.

#1063 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:36 PM

Qdoba's finally getting their grease trap, and work has started on Cantina Laredo and the Vault. Cantina Laredo seems to be doing something different with the columns - they poured about 4 " of concrete at the base.

Anybody seen the new sculpture in the rotunda yet (the "Unfurling" - which looks remarkably similar to an F4 tornado.)? Comments? I kind of like it.

#1064 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE(hooked @ Feb 28 2007, 09:36 PM) View Post

Anybody seen the new sculpture in the rotunda yet (the "Unfurling" - which looks remarkably similar to an F4 tornado.)? Comments? I kind of like it.

I think it looks more like an F2, in plastic happy.gif

You would think the Tower would have an annual party every March 28th at 6:15 PM, or have something to recognize that point in time. I think I’d be safe to say that single point in time either started the ball rolling, or put a serious spin on it, for the current residential explosion in urban Fort Worth.

#1065 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:20 PM

Hard to celebrate that day when at least one person died during the EVENT. But to each their own. sleep.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#1066 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

Hard to celebrate that day when at least one person died during the EVENT. But to each their own. sleep.gif

I guess I come from an odd American heritage Irish/Scottish/American Indian, very military, try to see the see the good, celebrate life, etc… I see it more as a rebirth or renewal, I was thinking more of a moment of silence at that time, something to mark a serious moment for Fort Worth, then acknowledge all the good that came of it, but I can understand your point though.

In that vein of thought, I guess, no one should celebrate living here, one person died during construction, one washing windows when it was a bank and another during the time of its resurrection .

Then again, how many holidays do we have marking the death or birth of people dear to us? Think it comes back to your perspective, are you celebrating birth, life or death…

#1067 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Jan 8 2007, 07:21 PM) View Post

Well if its going to "Open Soon" like Qdoba. It won't be open for another two years! newlaugh.gif

Now that it is open. Has anyone beside me been to the Qdoba?

#1068 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ May 25 2007, 12:35 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Jan 8 2007, 07:21 PM) View Post

Now that it is open. Has anyone beside me been to the Qdoba?

I was just there yesterday. Almost identical to Chipotle with a little bit more expanded menu. Food was good but I don't know if it is better than Chipotle. The food seems to be of much higher quality but has a lot less flavor. I will have to eat there a few more times and try some more things before I can really make a judgement about it.

#1069 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE(AdamB @ May 25 2007, 02:44 PM) View Post

Almost identical to Chipotle with a little bit more expanded menu. Food was good but I don't know if it is better than Chipotle. The food seems to be of much higher quality but has a lot less flavor.

I hate to split hairs, but in the big burrito business, these guys are exact opposites (and I recognize this is like saying that McDonald's and Jack in the Box are completely different - They're basically the same).

Chipotle is a "your way, right away" kind of place. You pick everything out and it tastes like whatever you pick out. You pick tacos, a burrito, or a bowl. You pick your meat, your bean, your salsa and your add-ons (limited to guac and sour cream). There's not much too choose from.

QDoba is basically a menu place where you get to watch them make a predetermined burrito combination and make a suggestion or two. It's more like ordering a pizza.

Between them I like Chipotle better, but I think that's just because I eat at Chipotle all the time and QDoba maybe once a month.

My favorite is Freebird's, but it's too far out of the way to go there often.

#1070 jmilam

jmilam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ May 31 2007, 08:17 AM) View Post

QUOTE(AdamB @ May 25 2007, 02:44 PM) View Post

Almost identical to Chipotle with a little bit more expanded menu. Food was good but I don't know if it is better than Chipotle. The food seems to be of much higher quality but has a lot less flavor.

I hate to split hairs, but in the big burrito business, these guys are exact opposites (and I recognize this is like saying that McDonald's and Jack in the Box are completely different - They're basically the same).

Chipotle is a "your way, right away" kind of place. You pick everything out and it tastes like whatever you pick out. You pick tacos, a burrito, or a bowl. You pick your meat, your bean, your salsa and your add-ons (limited to guac and sour cream). There's not much too choose from.

QDoba is basically a menu place where you get to watch them make a predetermined burrito combination and make a suggestion or two. It's more like ordering a pizza.

Between them I like Chipotle better, but I think that's just because I eat at Chipotle all the time and QDoba maybe once a month.

My favorite is Freebird's, but it's too far out of the way to go there often.

I just ate at QDoba on Camp Bowie last night, and it was exactly like Chipotle...You pick a basic item and then customize it how you want...just like Chipotle. There are differences in flavors because of different recipies, but I like both. QDoba has soup and last time I was at Chipotle, they did not have it....

#1071 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

Pretty slick idea if you ask me, they have 4 or 5 inexpensive main ingredients with maybe 10 add on ingredients, some free, some can increase your total by 25%, all of them really fast to assemble.

One of the places about to open has been firing up the grills, as I walk from the garage through the BL tunnel to the elevators it smells like a steak house… mmmmm

#1072 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

yeah I really dont see that dramatic of differences. I have been back since I posted this a couple of times... I think my first impression was pretty spot on. Chipotle's steak tastes much much better but has too much fat in it while Qdoba's meat seems of much better quality but does not have as much flavor. Everything else balances out for the most part except IMHO except for the sauce. Nothing Qdoba has to offer can match Chipotles red sauce.

Side note... do not drink Qdoba's iced tea... it is disgusting. I dont know if it is there machine or if they haven't figured out the right mix but it is definitely not good. I am going to ask a manager about it next time since I hate drinking anything but iced tea.

#1073 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(AdamB @ May 31 2007, 04:26 PM) View Post

yeah I really dont see that dramatic of differences. I have been back since I posted this a couple of times... I think my first impression was pretty spot on. Chipotle's steak tastes much much better but has too much fat in it while Qdoba's meat seems of much better quality but does not have as much flavor. Everything else balances out for the most part except IMHO except for the sauce. Nothing Qdoba has to offer can match Chipotles red sauce.

Side note... do not drink Qdoba's iced tea... it is disgusting. I dont know if it is there machine or if they haven't figured out the right mix but it is definitely not good. I am going to ask a manager about it next time since I hate drinking anything but iced tea.

Perhaps they should look into water filters for their water and ICE.

#1074 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:33 PM

After 13 months this thread needs a post. This is the resident entry to the tower from street level. (As opposed to the entry we all really come in on, which is the hallway under Taylor Street leading to the Tower Garage.)

I really love this entry, all except for the acoustics... lots of tile, wood and walls. So quiet you can hear your heart. I like the accoustics better at Christmas time when there are Christmas trees set up which softens the reverberation. I love the floors but I could sure carpet the ceilings!

www.fortworthview.com

#1075 Shocker

Shocker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:07 PM

The Fort Worth National Bank
This is from an old brochure that was created when the building first opened. It was given to me as a gift from a banker who worked there from the beginning.

#1076 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

That was a nice brochure for the bank. I attended the grand opening of the building back in 1974. The building has really changed in its conversion into a residential property.

Shocker, it has been a long time since you last posted. Welcome back!

#1077 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

Very cool. Like POLYESTER COOL.

So, anyone up for BMOC some time before weather gets RIDICULOUSLY HOT HOT HOT?

COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#1078 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

The images in that brochure have such a cool perspective, I really regret not checking out the interior before the tornado.

A BMOC does sound like a good idea, perhaps an H1N1 snub fest or something... cool.gif

#1079 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:11 PM

If you look at the background of the second picture through the windows you see the Continental National Bank building, aka Landmark Tower, and its clock which is kind of nostalgic.

#1080 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:12 PM

I did an internship at the FWNB tower back in the mid 70's. One day, they took me to the vault in the basement, where they kept the cash. I was nauseous, and in my tweed 3-piece suit, threw straight up on a stack of cash. Not sure what effect it had on the Dow Jones, but I was relegated to the first floor customer service after that...

#1081 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (ramjet @ May 2 2009, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did an internship at the FWNB tower back in the mid 70's. One day, they took me to the vault in the basement, where they kept the cash. I was nauseous, and in my tweed 3-piece suit, threw straight up on a stack of cash. Not sure what effect it had on the Dow Jones, but I was relegated to the first floor customer service after that...

Really crazy Ramjet. Just seems like you would have felt sick and had some warning.

Everybody has incidents they would just like to have removed from their memory. I have a few. (Besides this last year's stock market of course.)

In Shocker's brochure it points to the Century II club. It appears to be the top-most tenant. (35th floor) I guess the Reatta came later. Can anybody in TV land confirm that the Century II club used to be on 35, than on 34? Like after the Reatta moved in. And once again, I plead with anybody that can post or send me or e-mail me a picture of the inside of the Century II Club.
www.fortworthview.com

#1082 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

I was a member and for sure thought it was on the 35th floor. I have some photos of a party or two in the club, but you can't tell much about the room. I will see if I can find and scan for you. Seems like a century ago. When you had dinner reservations , they always had matches embossed with your name on them at each place setting. Who gets matches these days?
Mike

#1083 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

The Century II Club was on the 35th Floor. After it shut down, Reata took over the space and remodeled it.

#1084 double

double

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:07 AM

I used to work at the Century II club. We had the whole 35th floor and also about half of the 34th floor (though it didn't seem to be often used). There was a kitchen on the 34th floor and a large dining area, but most often the meals were prepared upstairs and lowered via the dumbwaiter. There was a spiral staircase connecting the two kitchens for the staff - not allowed to use the public elevator, you know. Very formal - each lady diner was presented a rose on a pillow by the maitre d.

#1085 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (double @ Aug 24 2009, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to work at the Century II club. We had the whole 35th floor and also about half of the 34th floor (though it didn't seem to be often used). There was a kitchen on the 34th floor and a large dining area, but most often the meals were prepared upstairs and lowered via the dumbwaiter. There was a spiral staircase connecting the two kitchens for the staff - not allowed to use the public elevator, you know. Very formal - each lady diner was presented a rose on a pillow by the maitre d.

I'll bet ya steak dinner you don't have any pictures from the Century II club!
www.fortworthview.com

#1086 double

double

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Aug 24 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll bet ya steak dinner you don't have any pictures from the Century II club!

I don't - I was too poor then to own a camera... sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users