• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#1 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I was unaware that Emirates Air had a daily flight from DFW to Dubai. Great news that it is profitable; hope this helps bring even more international carriers to the airport.

http://www.star-tele...adlines-default

#2 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Thats got to be one heck of a flight.  Long haul flights are hard on the body !  Not going to even mentioning the time zone change effects.

For business we flew only ONE TIME JFK/ DULLAS => Riyadh/ Dhahran on Saudia Air  and it was a 13 hour HARD non stop red eye special. 

Few years later we started flying  Dhahran => Rome or Madrid or Frankfurt or London to DULLAS - DFW to break up the flight into shorter segments involving an overnight stop.

The Good news you mentioned might be for only the Emirates Air profits

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

I was hanging out at the DFW observation area for a while last weekend (need to bring my camera next time) but by far the best and most exciting plane I saw was an Emirates 747 headed for Dubai. 

Story time over.

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Thats got to be one heck of a flight. 

Just a little trivia that I heard last week: the Sydney to DFW direct flight on Quantas is the currently the 3rd longest single leg flight in the world.  Only Newark to Singapore and Singapore to LAX are longer.

#5 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

WestJet to Calgary

http://blogs.star-te...y-in-april.html

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

The DFW to Persian Gulf Market is expanding. Etihad Airways announces that they will fly 3 non-stops a week to Abu Dhabi starting in a year, after Qatar Airways said it will start service to Doha in June. Emirates has  operated service from DFW to Dubai since 2012.

http://blogs.star-te...-next-year.html

More international carriers at DFW is a good thing, and seriously raises the profile of the "Big Airport" as a global connection point. I thought it was interesting that Etihad chose to start service from DFW before Atlanta, but you have to read the article to find out why.

#7 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

I saw a blurb in the last week or so that American will start a DFW-Hong Kong flight next Summer.  Last month we took a Los Angeles to Hong Kong flight and it was 14 hours 55 minutes, I wonder how long the flight from DFW will be.  We came home on the Sydney-DFW flight on Qantas.  It was supposed to be 15 1/2 hours but we actually only took about 14 1/2 hours, we left an hour late so we arrived on time.

#8 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

Times announced for the new AA service DFW to Shanghai, DFW-HGK TBA:

http://blogs.star-te...on-june-11.html

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:03 AM

Seems like DFW is gearing up to be able to handle A380's. But currently, not sure who it will be. Korean, Qantas Lufthansa, Emirates and British airways all operate both the A380 and have stops in DFW. 

Dnews- Who's bringing an Airbus A380 to Dallas/Fort Worth international airport?

#10 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Virgin America Gets in Line for Two Gates at Love Field

http://fwbusinesspre...Southwest-.aspx

This would not be good news for DFW Airport or for Fort Worth. DFW needs the low-cost carrier that comes with ties to international carriers Virgin Australia and Virgin Atlantic. The proposed plans V-A has announced for Love would make it a mini-hub with connections to trans-oceanic traffic. If they implemented the same plans from DFW the possibility of expanding Virgin Group international routes to Texas would be possible; DFW management should work to help V-A realize the advantages DFW could offer, like offering domestic gates adjoining Terminal D along the newly renovated Terminal B link. Fort Worth flyers need the low-cost competition to popular destinations that Virgin offers, without having to drive to downtown Dallas to find more reasonable rates.

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:40 PM

Virgin America Gets in Line for Two Gates at Love Field

This would not be good news for DFW Airport or for Fort Worth. DFW needs the low-cost carrier ... DFW management should work to help V-A realize the advantages DFW could offer, like offering domestic gates adjoining Terminal D along the newly renovated Terminal B link...... Fort Worth flyers need the low-cost competition to popular destinations that Virgin offers, without having to drive to downtown Dallas to find more reasonable rates.

Defenders of the status quo, DFW+Love Field, here is your answer.

Love Field is the low-fares airport and DFW remains the primary business and sole international airport. Travels requirements will determine which airport you will use.

With coming demise of the Wright Amendment, it is likely too late to turn back the rush to Love Field by low-fare carriers to replicate the successful Southwest Airline model. It is not unreasonable to imagine traffic at Love Field returning to pre-DFW numbers.

How can you make DFW do more than it is already doing to attract low fare carriers when low fare carriers operate a business plan that is not design for airports designed during an era when DFW was built?  Virgin Airlines is looking at the profits that Southwest Airlines posts year after year and the manner in which those profits are made.  It makes no difference to them about   “adjoining gates and ground links”.  

DFW is a great airport for business travelers and international travelers.  I still prefer to use a PC for certain tasks. Times, technology and the way we do things have changed.

The Honorable Jim  Wright Amendment foretold that reopening Love Field to air traffic will have a detrimental impact on both DFW and Fort Worth.  Now we know it for sure.

I think that there are three possible scenarios:

A.  American Airlines, Delta and United lowers their fares to compete in the leisure air travel market [unlikely]
B.  Southwest Airlines is forced to give up gates at Love Field [likely]
C.  Fort Worth builds a regional airport [????]

I think that scenario C is the less controversial and that it adds more capacity and perhaps even a new upstart SWA. For my own selfish reasons, I hope and favor scenario C is the solution.

#12 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

Emirates Air to fly Airbus 380 on Dubai - DFW Route:

http://www.star-tele...rgest.html?rh=1

#13 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

The 83% increase in capacity likely means a lot more flights connecting through DFW to that direct flight to Dubai. Great news.

#14 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

Virgin America is gathering it's guns at Love Field for press conference; could be an indication it is moving ops from DFW to DAL:

http://blogs.star-te...gates-at-l.html

#15 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

Virgin America is gathering it's guns at Love Field for press conference; could be an indication it is moving ops from DFW to DAL:

Time to gather our guns for a Fort Worth Regional Airport.

FYI Bay Area California:

http://www.travelmat...from/OAK/to/SFO

#16 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

I think that Dallas (and hopefully Fort Worth in the future) should be home to regional airports, with DFW remaining a long-range airport. If airlines are relocating to be closer to the center of Dallas (or Fort Worth in the future), what's to stop DFW from becoming deserted?

-Dylan

#17 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:30 PM

More A380 to DFW news, Qantas to use the worlds largest airliners between Sydney and DFW.

http://blogs.star-te...dney-route.html

#18 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

Virgin America got the Love Field gates:

http://www.star-tele...gates.html?rh=1

#19 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Nice summary by the ST talking about DFW's further growing international presence, and discussions about a future terminal F.

http://www.star-tele...ernational.html

#20 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:04 AM

AA is beginning the process of acquiring rights for a route from DFW to Beijing. The flights from Hong Kong and Shanghai seem to be very successful, establishing DFW as a major connecting point between Asia and South America, Mexico, and Central/Caribbean America. If this new route is approved I would expect several more flights south from DFW. 

http://www.star-tele...o-fly.html?rh=1

There is, however a lot of work to do at DFW in the signage department. Most international airports have informational and directional signage in several languages, but DFW is pretty far behind the herd in this respect. Signs in Spanish, Mandarin, Hindi, French and German (at a minimum) should accompany English for important navigational information signs. DFW could take a lesson from other major airports in the use of "international" picto-signs for "standard" sorts of signs.

In other airport news the first A-380 is scheduled to arrive September 29; good photo op:

https://www.dfwairpo.../a380/index.php

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

I'm heading out to the airport in a few hours to watch QF7 land, the first A380 to come here. 

#22 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

I'm doing the same, just haven't figured out where just yet. Looks like an approach from the south, so Founders Plaza is out.

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

Jbb- Dad and I are in the lot due east of the intersection of mid cities and airfield. If you are to, I'm in a blue shirt and stars hat. Red camera.

Edit-here's some shots. Thing is massive. Love the Cowboy Hat and Texas emblem on the nose.

JeaLrvR.jpg

bZU4n8V.jpg

#24 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:52 PM

I wish I had read this before I left.  I would have joined you.  I circled around the west side of the airport for awhile before settling on a construction lot on Airfield between Glade and Mid Cities.  There were probably 100 people there by the time it landed and about 2 minutes before touchdown, an airport police officer pulled in and announced that people parked on the gravel area of the lot would be towed.  I was on the grass, so I held my place and he left without doing anything after the plane landed.  From the spotter discussion on Facebook, it sounds like the police were more easy going than normal. 

After it landed, I circled around to Founder's Plaza and it was still a madhouse.  I went down the southbound service road and noticed a crowd of people parked on the side of the road just past Terminal D.  It provided a great view of the planes sitting at the gate.

Here's a few of my shots.  I didn't get a great up close shot while it was in the air.  I was fighting hard to keep other people's heads out of my shots.

DSC_0062_zpsb2759817.jpg

DSC_0066_zps62ed1372.jpg

DSC_0072_zps29aac7fa.jpg

DSC_0073_zpsc333ddd9.jpg

DSC_0077_zps504df68f.jpg

DSC_0079_zps11c99aba.jpg

DSC_0080_zpsbc402ee2.jpg

#25 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

Ebola in United States (Texas).

If the incubation period for this virus is at a minimum of 21 days, how is acceptable that someone traveling from an affected area be boarded on a plane to the U.S?  According to the latest information, this case departed for Texas on 9/19/14 which i s clearly under the time necessary for clinical observation.

The airline(s) responsible for this enormous blunder must be severely fined - $1,000,000.00 at least!

#26 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

A-380 2.0:

http://www.star-tele...nding.html?rh=1

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

This things look utterly massive even from miles away. You can just be going down the street and you'll just see this huge thing going by. Really exciting to have them here in the DFW skies. The Qantas one is more visible to FW as it flies in from west side of the world, then up 820 where it'll U-turn and land to the south usually. 

#28 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

I'm hoping to make some trips out to Founder's Plaza on the next few Mondays to try and see both carriers. The Emirates plane should take off and the Qantas plane should land within an hour each day.

#29 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:25 AM

It is widely acknowledged that DFW has become a major air-travel connection point between Asia and Latin America, but it looks like it is also emerging as a major player in the market connecting to the Middle East. Etihad Airways, which has not even initiated service from here to Abu Dhabi, has announced that the three-times-per-week service has been upgraded to a daily flight. 

http://blogs.star-te...ly-service.html

Etihad is competing with Emirates Airline (A-380 service to Dubai) and Qatar Airways, and the increased capacity might translate to some discounts for passengers wanting to travel to the Gulf Region, and beyond. A lot of Indians connect in the Middle East for destinations beyond, and DFW is becoming a major node in their travel plans as well as a destination. I would estimate that within two years or so there may be talk of a non-stop from India to DFW, perhaps Mumbai or Hyderabad. Although this is a long flight (9130 miles) a 777-200LR can cover it, and maybe even an A340-500.

#30 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

Etihad Airways begins service from Abu Dhabi UAE today:

http://blogs.star-te...-wednesday.html

Etihad is the flag carrier for the United Arab Emirates and had been flying since 2003. The name in Arabic means something like "Union" so maybe this is the Middle Eastern version of "United". The IATA code is EY and it serves 96 passenger and cargo locations on all continents accept Antartica. The DFW service will use 777-200LR equipment and will start out as 3-times weekly expanding to daily service in Spring 2015. 

Here is a link to a WSJ article about the "Big 3" Persian Gulf carriers expanding into the US:

http://www.msn.com/e...e-us/ar-BBdckJh

Please don't read if your blood pressure raises when you read Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport conveniently abbreviated to "Dallas".

#31 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:24 PM

I was able to read the article camly after leaving "feedback" on the bottom of the page. Didn't realize the article was a month old at the time until I reached the end, which means the errors will probably remain.

----------

They look like pretty fancy airplanes.

-Dylan

#32 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:45 AM

Etihad Airways begins service from Abu Dhabi UAE today....The DFW service will use 777-200LR equipment and will start out as 3-times weekly expanding to daily service in Spring 2015...Here is a link to a WSJ article about the "Big 3" Persian Gulf carriers expanding into the US.---Please don't read if your blood pressure raises when you read Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport conveniently abbreviated to "Dallas".

That is just the thing - the national media to this date does not care or bother to respect the finer points of a "dual" city metropolitan area when reporting about our region.

The FWST obviously, and to their credit, the DMN both reports D/FW in their stories.

There could be a rapid response desk at City Hall and the Chamber to point this out to the national media, but there is not one. 

I sure miss, and so does Fort Worth, Councilman Joel Burns!

#33 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

I'm at the Emirates terminal quite a bit, boy is that place busy.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#34 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:45 PM

AA 787 "Dreamliner" deliveries are delayed; anyone surprised?

http://www.star-tele...cle4411078.html

#35 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:45 AM

I can't imagine anyone being shocked by that.  One of my coworkers flew through Houston yesterday and the plane he was on parked next to a United 787 at the gate.  He sent some really nice pics.

There's been some buzz in aviation circles over the last week or so about the load factors on the A380s at DFW - somewhere around 68% for Qantas and 36% for Emirates.  Apparently some of the issue with the Qantas flights is that they are blocking around 100 seats to save weight and conserve fuel for the long flight.  I can't help but wonder how long Emirates can continue to fly such a large plane so empty and still be profitable, especially with the increased competition from Ethiad and Qatar.  

#36 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:12 PM

Got oil ?  Got Money?  Oh yes  and jet fuel at rock bottom prices too

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#37 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

Sounds like Airbus is really struggling with the A380.

https://www.google.c...#q=a380&tbm=nws

#38 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:54 PM

¡Viva VIVAAEROBUS!

New DFW international carrier:

http://www.star-tele...cle4446236.html

Low-fare service to Mexico from DFW to Mexico starting in March. First flights 3-times weekly to GDL and MTY, and later CUN.

#39 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

AA 787 "Dreamliner" deliveries are delayed; anyone surprised?

http://www.star-tele...cle4411078.html

I read recently that the reason for the current 787 delays is because the seat manufacturers can't keep up with the demand for the fancy lay flat seats.  These delays are affecting all carriers.

#40 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:29 PM

¡Viva VIVAAEROBUS!......Low-fare service to Mexico from DFW to Mexico starting in March.

Great news - Low-fare non-stop international service..only from DFW. :P

#41 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:13 AM

Etihad pushes back move to daily service from DFW to Abu Dhabi until sometime in 2016:

http://www.star-tele...cle6613950.html

I wonder if there is some saturation in the DFW-Gulf States market... There are apparently many empty seats flying back and forth (see post #35 above) across the big pond, and it would be easy for a price war to break out in which none of the carriers would be able to make a profit. Many of the passengers who fly on these carriers connect in the Gulf States from India; a non-stop from the Subcontinent, especially Hyderadad would take a considerable slice out of the Gulf States' traffic. Much if not most of the Middle Eastern customer base connects at DFW to other destinations, many to points far south in Latin America. AA has significantly expanded service to that region in the past several years, but if there is a perceived lack of service to second-tier South American cities the Gulf carriers might consider shifting their service to Miami, where nearly every major commercial or political center in that region can be accessed non-stop. Luckily for DFW, MIA is severely crowded, and expansion is limited.

This be a good time for a few major South-and-Central American flag carriers (Aerolineas Argentina, LAN, TAM, Aviaca, etc.) to shift or expand service to the US using DFW as a terminus. Maybe the DFW board could hire me to go out and drum up some business for them  :swg:

• JBB likes this

#42 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:24 PM

Haven't seen it announced formally but heard that AA to use 787 on flights to Buenos Aries, Beijing and Chicago.

#43 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

There's been no official announcement, but word on the street is that American's first 787 that has been at DFW for a few weeks now will fly its first revenue flight from DFW or ORD on May 7.

#44 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:02 PM

Story on the announcement:

http://www.star-tele...cle9726812.html

#45 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

AA currently uses 777's on those international routes. I wonder if the 787 is a replacement or will operate with them.

#46 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:55 PM

They will use whatever planes fits the city pairs the best. 777s and 787s are different in size, capacity, and range. 

The cabin width of a 777 is 19+ feet, a 787 is 18 feet.

The maximum capacity (two classes) of a 777 is 451 passengers, a 787 is 360 passengers. 

The maximum range of a 777 is 9400 n. miles, a 787 is 8300 n. miles.

#47 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

DFW International Airport welcomes back Japan Airlines (JAL) Service to Tokyo Narita (NRT) 4 days a week.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/aviation/sky-talk-blog/article32794128.html 

This renewed service added to the twice-daily AA NRT flights strengthens DFW's position as a major Far-East connector point from North America. Maybe service to Haneda Airport, much closer to central Tokyo and favorite of business travelers, will follow later.

#48 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

Virgin America CEO bad-mouths lack of gate space at Dallas Love Field:

http://www.star-tele...le33401520.html

Before the carrier moved from DFW they were offered more space, and they knew there was a limited number of gates at Love Field and that getting one or two of them was a gamble. If Virgin wants to expand service from north Texas, and they should, they should seriously look at moving back to DFW. There would be the opportunity to connect with a daily Virgin Pacific and Virgin Atlantic that could never happen at Love, and they could possibly work out a deal with local operator (a la American Eagle) to provide connector service to/from Austin and Houston to their coastal destinations mentioned in the article.

#49 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:26 PM

He stepped off of the hyperbole cliff when he tried to assert that Love is worse than La Guardia (not quoted in that article, but I've seen it elsewhere). Frontburner has a pretty good rebuttal with charts and whatnot showing that is clearly not the case from an on-time departure standpoint.

I flew Southwest out of Love earlier this summer because it was a no brainer as far as cost went. Fares were about even with American and Delta out of DFW, but the free checked bags were the decision maker (it was a 5 night trip). Same applies on a trip I'm making later this month. In both cases were early morning departures with late evening returns, so the lack of crowds and traffic and the fact that I can be dropped off and picked up with no pesky $2 parking fee is well worth it. I tried really hard to use Virgin on the trip this summer, but the one way fare was more than double the round trip fare on Southwest.

#50 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

I don't get why Virgin America refuses to fly from DFW. That would be an easy solution to their expansion issues.

Hopefully, they will get so fed up with Love Field that they move back to DFW.

-Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users