• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:10 AM

I wasn't aware of any proposed state legislation imposing a 25-mph limit on some inner-city streets across the state until I read this S-T article by Sandra Baker (below). The Fort Worth City Council is largely opposed to the legislation.  Based on the S-T article, the council appears more in opposition to the notion of state interfence in local traffic regulation rather than the issue of lower speed limits on neighborhood roads.

http://www.star-tele...e120930743.html

I have mixed views on lower speed limits.  Of course, there are public safety concerns, particularly in neighborhoods where children play in the streets.  On the other hand, I feel that 30-mph is slow enough as it is.  What I don't like is having to go 20-mph in a school zone on a street where I never see school children.  One such near where I live is Lackland Road in the vicinity of the city's recreation center.

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:17 AM

Posted about it over here:

http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=3682

I don't know that there's any proposed legislation. The council originally called for it in their own legislative agenda that is just a wish list that they send to Austin. As for the council being against it, they were originally all for it, but came back this week and decided they weren't because they didn't have enough information about it when they originally voted for it. Massive ineptitude at its finest for which no one will hold them accountable.

#3 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

How about stronger enforcement of 30MPH in pedestrian zones?

See the Texas Motor Speedway on 5th St between University and Carroll St.

#4 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

Mr. Brightside nails it. If people can speed with impunity, what difference does it make if the speed limit is 30, 25 or even 10 mph?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users