Photo
- - - - -

The Bowery at Southside (Foremost Dairy site)

Near Southside apartments proposed south main

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

From the TIF

Discussion and Consideration of a Resolution to Approve a TIF Development Agreement with StoneHawk Capital Partners, LLC for public improvements associated with the development of an apartment complex located between E. Broadway Ave. and E. Annie St., Crawford St. and S. Jones St., Foremost Dairies Inc Plant Site, Blk 1, Tucker Addition-Ft Worth Blk 56, Lot 1C, 2C, 11, 12, (Paul Paine, TIF Administrator)

The area described is pretty massive and encompasses several blocks, as well as a few existing buildings such as the Brik Venue, but for the most part is empty land. I doubt the entire area will be developed but it does seem like it could be fairly sizable.

I believe this is a bit more specifically the land involved, 

q74xYjN.png

There also seems to be a park involved 

. Discussion and Consideration of a Resolution to Approve a TIF Funding Agreement with Fort Worth Southside Development District, Inc. d/b/a Fort Worth South, Inc., for park design of two parcels adjacent to the E. Broadway Apartments project located on E. Broadway Ave., within Foremost Dairies Inc. Plant Site, Blk 1,

Something to keep an eye on and see if we hear anything else. 

#2 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:04 PM

In this instance a TIF is probably a needed deal-maker for the developers. There is a significant need for public streets in the area that connect to other streets, and I am sure the water and sewer facilities are severely outdated and insufficient for any sort mid-to-high density residential development. The taxable value of the property can only go up from what is has been for the last several decades, and decent residences with amenities that close to Downtown and in the Near Southside is going to attract people willing to pay for the location. In return, what do the people (the city) get? Will there be a fraction of the units devoted to "affordable housing", i.e affordable for the people who are going to be employed at the local businesses the residents will depend on? Will the development meet existing urban guidelines for setbacks and form codes? Is this going to look like some sort apartment complex in the 'burbs or is going to complement a resurrecting urban core? What about parking? Standard paved fields or a structure, perhaps integrated with retail and services? Is the park going to be a decorative window dressing that residents drive past as they pull into the development or is it going to be designed to actually serve the neighborhood, with sport courts, open spaces, walking path, etc.? How is noise from the railroad tracks and yard going to be remediated, and not just noise, but the danger of toxic spills and explosive tank cars? Perhaps the TIF could be tasked with providing the beginning of a large earthen berm running along the tracks to shield the new developments from dangers associated with railroads, and even to help the railroads keep unwanted people off their property. Maybe some sort of cooperative agreement could be negotiated...

#3 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:29 PM

Just east of HopFusion Brewery.  That will probably be good for them.

My blog: Doohickie

#4 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:07 AM

Just east of HopFusion Brewery.  That will probably be good for them.

Good for whom? The brewery, the residents, or both?

#5 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:17 PM

The brewery is what I meant (and probably for residents who enjoy a good beer.)

What do we call this area?  I kind of think it may be distinct from Near Southside and even South Main.  Maybe call it East Main?  Railhead? Bryan-Crawford-Calhoun?  Basically, I'm thinking of the area east of Main, and west of the train tracks, running between, say, Vickery and Rosedale.

#6 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

The brewery is what I meant (and probably for residents who enjoy a good beer.)

What do we call this area?  I kind of think it may be distinct from Near Southside and even South Main.  Maybe call it East Main?  Railhead? Bryan-Crawford-Calhoun?  Basically, I'm thinking of the area east of Main, and west of the train tracks, running between, say, Vickery and Rosedale.

I think it already has a name. 

South Main Village (the teal)

near_southside_villages_map_3_5355.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#7 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:09 PM

I stated that I think the area east of Main may evolve to be a distinct neighborhood apart from South Main.  I see South Main Village as a family/wholesome/touristy area, and the area just east of it along Bryan being a little more "grown up" with bars, breweries, distilleries, etc.  South Main is where the good kids hang out; Bryan-to-the-train-tracks will be where the cool kids hang out.

I may be projecting a bit, but in talking to people who own businesses along Bryan, they agree with this vision.

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:47 PM

I think it would be great to see that area take a very musical turn, with Shipping & Receiving and Niles City Sound studios both being right there at the heart of it. 

#9 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:43 PM

One of the things I like about this area compared to W7th is that it will be a series of competing projects, as opposed to W7th which is dominated by the one central monolith (or maybe two) with a few hangers-on around the edges.  So instead of a corporate vision of what it "should be", I think South Main will be a little more "organic" in nature, more like Magnolia.

#10 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

Evidently this will host have a town-home component as well and total 272 units. For comparison, Highpoint is 227 and 400 S. Jennings is 217. 

#11 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:51 PM

I think South Main will be a little more "organic" in nature, more like Magnolia.

As much as I like Magnolia and I think it's a great addition to FW the more I hang out there the less organic it feels. Organic, in my opinion, are more established neighborhoods that have a bit more diversity in their nature, places that sit side by side without any rhyme or reason; kinda like many of the neighborhoods I experienced while living in SF & Chicago. Ones with higher end restaurants and bars, next to tattoo parlors, antique shops, boutique hotels, hole in the wall joints, delis, bookstores, record shops & other oddities. Don't get me wrong, I really like some of the places on Magnolia, but everything seems to be extremely "Kentrified" and put neatly in it's place (except for a few exceptions). It has too much of a produced vibe for me to label it organic. If it weren't for the bones of the older buildings it would feel a lot more like W. 7th than you might think and vice versa. That being said, I am grateful to have an area like this in FW to have as a destination. There wasn't anything like this while I was growing up here and coming of age.

South Main and the area East towards S&R does seem to have a grittier feel to it and I prefer that over Magnolia, but with Kent & Co.'s headquarters there I don't know if that feel will remain. I truly hope I'm wrong about that.

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

I guess I'm too old and not hip enough to understand the backlash toward the what the Churchills are doing on the Southside. People complain incessantly that too many Dallas developers make things happen here and others find a way to get bent out of shape when someone local steps up. If they were tattooed, wore Birkenstocks, and saved up their pay from washing dishes at the hospital cafeteria to open a shop on Jennings selling hand-painted luggage, we would call them the saviors of Magnolia. But because they grew up in upper society and used the proceeds from selling their family's car dealership to reinvest in their hometown, they're the villain.

(Note: I have no issue with tattoos, Birkenstocks, washing dishes, etc. Just making a point.)

#13 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:25 AM

I don't have a problem with what the Kents are doing either.

As far as gritty/organic goes, part of that has to do with how old or how safe an area is.  Even though Magnolia has old buildings, most of the renovations are recent, so they still have that "new" feel to them, and they're nice and clean.

A few years ago I spent a week in Austin and noticed areas around UT that had similar feel, but they were more established, a little grittier, etc.  It was cool, but I have to admit that I tend to prefer the more "antiseptic" version you see along Magnolia.  Gritty means a little dirtier, a little less safe, etc.  I feel much more relaxed/at home in the near Southside, and it's because people like the Kents are doing their thing.

#14 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

I think Magnolia and much of the Southside is somewhere in the middle: a slightly new, manufactured feel with some of the feel of full blown grit. 7th and Sundance Square have a lot of great attributes, but Magnolia has that "charm" that we shouldn't take for granted.

#15 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

Agreed.

#16 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

I guess I'm too old and not hip enough to understand the backlash toward the what the Churchills are doing on the Southside. People complain incessantly that too many Dallas developers make things happen here and others find a way to get bent out of shape when someone local steps up. If they were tattooed, wore Birkenstocks, and saved up their pay from washing dishes at the hospital cafeteria to open a shop on Jennings selling hand-painted luggage, we would call them the saviors of Magnolia. But because they grew up in upper society and used the proceeds from selling their family's car dealership to reinvest in their hometown, they're the villain.(Note: I have no issue with tattoos, Birkenstocks, washing dishes, etc. Just making a point.)

I kind of figured my initial post might spark a bit of a misunderstanding. LOL

Actually for me there is no backlash at all. In my post I actually applauded the fact that Magnolia exists and that I am glad it has become a destination neighborhood in FW. I was merely commenting on the fact that (through my eyes and experience) it does not feel as organic to me, but instead feels much more produced; which I have no complaints about. It is miles above what the area was like before it was rejuvenated. Also, I think you can have some grit to an area and it can still feel safe. SF has several of these areas and at no point during my time living there did I ever feel unsafe.

#17 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:29 AM

Yeah, I understood you and didn't mean that to sound as directed straight at you as it did. The term "Kentrification" has generally had a negative tone about it and I'm just a little baffled by it.

#18 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

2 small parks are proposed in the east of S. Main area, the northernmost one is likely part of this project.

http://fortworthtexa...Broadway-parks/

#19 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

The "pocket park" concept is a wonderful idea.  It gives the immediate surrounding locals a feeling of ownership and stewardship for the green space.

#20 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:43 PM

What amenities would these pocket parks consist of?

To change the topic a little, I've got a vision of townhomes being built along Bryan Ave. and Crawford St. between roughly Peter Smith St. and Rosedale.

These townhomes would be built with old west-style wooden false fronts. Perhaps build some businesses along S. Main with similar architecture.

-Dylan

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

5:30 March 29th will be a meeting at shipping and receiving to discuss the parks and get public input.

#22 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:33 PM

What amenities would these pocket parks consist of?

To change the topic a little, I've got a vision of townhomes being built along Bryan Ave. and Crawford St. between roughly Peter Smith St. and Rosedale.

These townhomes would be built with old west-style wooden false fronts. Perhaps build some businesses along S. Main with similar architecture.

I don't think that style will fly in that part of town.

#23 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

5:30 March 29th will be a meeting at shipping and receiving to discuss the parks and get public input.

Your Instagram pics are truly amazing! 

#24 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

Your Instagram pics are truly amazing! 

I appreciate that :) 

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

It looks like this project will consist of 8 seperate buildings. Here they are broken down by unit number,

for a total of 303 units.

#26 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:24 AM

The site has been cleared .

#27 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

Is there a rendering?

#28 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:55 AM

Is there a rendering?

All I've seen is this little thumbnail 

J1L21Ad.png

#29 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

Is there a rendering?

All I've seen is this little thumbnail 

J1L21Ad.png

Hmmmmm... I think I’ve seen this design somewhere before.

#30 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:11 AM

Better rendering of this one. The land has been cleared in recent months. Not sure when construction is due to start, but should be soon.

q74xYjN.png

Source from the 411 leasing packet here

#31 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:21 PM

I think South Main will be a little more "organic" in nature, more like Magnolia.

As much as I like Magnolia and I think it's a great addition to FW the more I hang out there the less organic it feels. Organic, in my opinion, are more established neighborhoods that have a bit more diversity in their nature, places that sit side by side without any rhyme or reason; kinda like many of the neighborhoods I experienced while living in SF & Chicago. Ones with higher end restaurants and bars, next to tattoo parlors, antique shops, boutique hotels, hole in the wall joints, delis, bookstores, record shops & other oddities. Don't get me wrong, I really like some of the places on Magnolia, but everything seems to be extremely "Kentrified" and put neatly in it's place (except for a few exceptions). It has too much of a produced vibe for me to label it organic. If it weren't for the bones of the older buildings it would feel a lot more like W. 7th than you might think and vice versa. That being said, I am grateful to have an area like this in FW to have as a destination. There wasn't anything like this while I was growing up here and coming of age.

South Main and the area East towards S&R does seem to have a grittier feel to it and I prefer that over Magnolia, but with Kent & Co.'s headquarters there I don't know if that feel will remain. I truly hope I'm wrong about that.

I know what you're talking about.  The buildings on Magnolia that have been built or renovated recently, for the most part, have been done one by one, as opposed to full block developments as found in other parts of town.  I think that has really benefited the feel of the street.  Yes, some of the design (architecture and signage) is maybe a little tone deaf to the appealing, organic, or bohemian vibe that has been in place in the Southside, but overall I don't think any of the newer projects seriously damage the appeal of the street and neighborhood.  The most incompatible design has been the Moncrief Cancer Institute, which was set back from Magnolia with a driveway in front.  Unfortunately the medical institutions seem to be less interested in really connecting their buildings to the streets than the residential and commercial uses.  I hope that changes with each new medical building. 

#32 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

Updated thread title to reflect name

https://www.nearsout...th-main-village

#33 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:00 AM

Aeriel view 

the-bowery-at-southside-fort-worth-tx-ae

the-bowery-at-southside-fort-worth-tx-ae

source

#34 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:55 PM

When I was driving around the other day, I noticed the two core structures had gone up.

#35 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:42 AM

Via Rodger Mallison

Dj9D7sNU0AICufd.jpg

#36 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

Better views of the two new parks that Near Southside's TIF is funding as part of this project,

"The Skinny", which lies West side of Crawford St.

skinnyrendering.jpg

And a site plan for the "Calhound' dog park off Calhoun and Annie.

dogpark.jpg

#37 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:44 PM

Those are pretty clever names.  Looks nice.

#38 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:21 PM

Panorama of the project from outside Hopfusion. The future "The Skinny" parkspace visible on the left side.

AeHKrok.jpg

#39 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 06:33 PM

More details on the parks

https://tbgpartners....t-a-tiny-scale/

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:46 PM

Really interesting how this project has no structured parking. A few of the townhome style units have garages, but the everything else is on a surface lot. Certainly a departure from a lot of this building's Near Southside peers.

ugLQGC5.gif

#41 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:40 AM

Really interesting how this project has no structured parking. A few of the townhome style units have garages, but the everything else is on a surface lot. Certainly a departure from a lot of this building's Near Southside peers.

ugLQGC5.gif

Do we know if they received any waivers on parking minimums?

#42 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:10 PM

Starting to wrap up

47MLf1O.jpg

#43 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:56 PM

Yawn...  Unfortunately it looks like every other large apartment building built in the last 5 years and the same design for several in the works.

The only good thing is that it will supply residents to S Main Village. 

#44 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:05 AM

Yawn...  Unfortunately it looks like every other large apartment building built in the last 5 years and the same design for several in the works.

The only good thing is that it will supply residents to S Main Village. 

Was this article shared anywhere on the forum in regards to that opinion? If so, my apologies for the repost.

'Why America's New Apartment Buildings All Look The Same'

#45 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:39 AM

Edit: The forum platform cuts off URLs that contain apostrophes, so the link now goes to the magazine's parks page, which links to the article

Fort Worth Magazine has an update on the two parks that are part of the Bowery project. Both opening in the fall. http://www.fwtx.com/topics/parks

#46 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:07 AM

Apartments look just about done

Ef8osbx.jpg

#47 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

I know this is just a big box apartment but I have to say it looks good. A nice mix of textures/materials (glass, stucco, brick, composite wood), no utility lines inhibiting the growth of the street trees, and ground floor retail. Love it. MUCH better than the completely sided apartment building they are putting in next to the FW Modern Museum (yuck).

#48 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:25 AM

I know this is just a big box apartment but I have to say it looks good. A nice mix of textures/materials (glass, stucco, brick, composite wood), no utility lines inhibiting the growth of the street trees, and ground floor retail. Love it. MUCH better than the completely sided apartment building they are putting in next to the FW Modern Museum (yuck).

I agree that it looks better than most but I don't believe there is any plans for ground floor retail unless something has changed that I wasn't aware of

#49 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

The Bowery is having it's grand opening September 19th. Here's a gallery of images from their website. https://www.boweryso...de.com/gallery/

#50 Provasek

Provasek

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Early Fort Worth businesses, radio and television stations

Posted 27 October 2019 - 10:39 PM

The Bowery is having it's grand opening September 19th. Here's a gallery of images from their website. https://www.boweryso...de.com/gallery/

Who decided to name this place "the Bowery," the New York neighborhood synonymous with skid row... of which President Theodore Roosevelt described :

::The Bowery is one of the great highways of humanity, a highway of seething life, of varied interest, of fun, of work, of sordid and terrible tragedy; and it is haunted by demons as evil as any that stalk through the pages of the “Inferno.”—
::

Didn't anyone   hear of Google?

By the way, am I correct you still can't upload a photo on this site, but must upload it somewhere else then LINK it?  This post took me an  hour after being unable to find an upload  button, so  another photosharing site  doesn't allow direct linking unless you pay $300 a year, finally I had to upload it to google photos and then make an album with worldwide permission to anyone  (which I consider a security risk)   Just to have a photo posted to his site?   I GAVE UP on posting an image...after all that trouble,  Creating a link to the photo   JPG format, then I click POST and get Error: you are using an prohibited extension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users