• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 angie013

angie013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

How do you guys think a wine bar would go over on Magnolia? Maybe the bottom floor of the Mehl building?
I would go for something very laid back, comfortable and non-pretensious. I have always thought something like that would go over well. Also serve coffee, have small musical acts and display local art. Is Fairmount ready for something like that? Thoughts? Thanks for the input!

#2 FWillustrator

FWillustrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:architectural illustration, concept design, environmental graphics

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:01 PM

FYI: Coffee House Gallery & Cafe on Jennings (a few blocks from Magnolia) already does the art + coffee thing. Every time I've been there the coffee has been excellent - easily one of the best coffees in town (ask for a real mug), and the cakes and pastries they have brought in are great too.

#3 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

Wine and jazz might go over on Magnolia, especially if there was a patio for the nice time of year.

#4 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:19 PM

Sounds like a great idea to me! I think a unique presentation of wines or something different to set it apart from a few of the other places would be a real crowd pleaser.

#5 angie013

angie013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(FWillustrator @ Jan 17 2007, 02:01 PM) View Post

FYI: Coffee House Gallery & Cafe on Jennings (a few blocks from Magnolia) already does the art + coffee thing. Every time I've been there the coffee has been excellent - easily one of the best coffees in town (ask for a real mug), and the cakes and pastries they have brought in are great too.

I also really liked that place, however it has been shut down for awhile now. The last 4-5 times I have driven by, it is empty. I am pretty sure they are closed down.

#6 FWillustrator

FWillustrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

^^^
Now that I think about it, you're probably right...I knew they kept odd hours sometimes, but I haven't caught them when they were open in a long time.

In that case I think it'd fit right in on Magnolia. If I could afford to move my studio, Magnolia would be top on the list of places. But then I might get fat from eating Spiral Diner all the time.

#7 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

I think something like that would go over well on Magnolia. I absolutely adore Fort Worth South and I'm always a big supporter of cool new stuff for that area. Heck, these days I spend almost as much time in FWS as I do downtown.

--

Kara B.

#8 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:56 AM

I also really liked that place, however it has been shut down for awhile now. The last 4-5 times I have driven by, it is empty. I am pretty sure they are closed down.

The place didn't advertise very much and the crazy hours didn't help. I didn't realize it had closed.

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Jan 17 2007, 04:27 PM) View Post

I think something like that would go over well on Magnolia. I absolutely adore Fort Worth South and I'm always a big supporter of cool new stuff for that area. Heck, these days I spend almost as much time in FWS as I do downtown.

FWS is till my favorite area of FW. I think a Wine Bar could make it there, but maybe not for another year or two, after more of the new residences are occupied.

#9 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:34 PM

Ever been to the wine bar in Fredericksburg? That is what Fort Worth needs

http://www.cuveewine.net/

#10 FWillustrator

FWillustrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE(angie013 @ Jan 17 2007, 01:21 PM) View Post

Not to get off subject here, but I think someone just bought Coffee House Gallery, and will be reopening it under the same name/concept.

#11 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(FWillustrator @ Jan 21 2007, 08:52 AM) View Post

Not to get off subject here, but I think someone just bought Coffee House Gallery, and will be reopening it under the same name/concept.

That's good to hear. I like the place... I think the low traffic has hurt them so far (they've been cut off from the rest of the southside but the Rosedale construction), but hopefully it will continue to improve.
The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

cru should close down if they're smart  ... 

Why would Cru do that--they are always busy and better service than Will's place.

Will's place hype will die down soon--as do all hot and new places do in Fort Worth.

if they're busy that's awesome ...sat in that place and it was dead empty and every time i go by it's essentially that  way. 

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users