https://www.classact...org/stop-hr-985

#2 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

For those of us who don't instantly click links.... what is "this"?

My blog: Doohickie

#3 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

For those of us who don't instantly click links.... what is "this"?

Understand your caution. 

This is an organization/association known advocating the legal processes known as "Class Action".    Consumers are protected by class action against defective products or services.  Personally, I believe that consumer protection is essential in a free market where mistakes or intent bring harm to the consuming public.

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:24 PM

So what does the bill propose?  (I looked the bill up on my phone; it was full of doublespeak.)

The site I was reading (which I think was the actual govt site) gave it only a 5% chance to pass.

#5 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

Yes, doublespeak is a fair assessment of the bill. 

The bill is design to significantly restraint the criteria for a class action lawsuit is.

Two or more individuals harmed by a product, but suffering different losses can not be grouped together. (A bank charges two or more customers different authorized fees; because the fees are different, the consumers are not allowed to join in the suit..only consumers with exact fraudulent charges can group together)

As is the usual case, the devil is in the details, but I don't believe that a majority of voters want it to be made more difficult if not impossible to hold a company liable for harm to the public. 

#6 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

...and actually it was a ".us" not a ".gov" site.

#7 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

Amtrak may be in some trouble. 

http://www.masstrans...passengers-narp

Not sure that this is how rebuilding infrastructure and creating jobs is suppose to go.

#8 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:20 AM

It isn't.

#9 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

Has anyone seen a list of the "220 cities"?

#10 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

Has anyone seen a list of the "220 cities"?

http://www.masstrans...-network-trains

#11 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

I don't see a list of cities.

EDIT:  Sorry, didn't see the Continue Reading.

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

Texas among states wiling to provide the Trump Administration with personal records held on local voter rolls! :mad:

Remember when you thought that they were just coming after the other guy? Now they are coming after YOU.

Is this the ultimate act for the beginning to the end of Voter Privacy and the sanctity of the ballot box?

#13 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:34 AM

Based on my reading of the latest news, many of the states do not want to release private data.

#14 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

A lot of that data is already publicly available (for a price in some places). Not too sure about how much in TX though.

That list of wanted data by the Advisory Commission on Election Integrity was worrisome; voting history, etc.? 

Erik France

#15 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:53 PM

It is looking more and more like the current situation in the executive branch is unsustainable.

#16 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:25 AM

It is looking more and more like the current situation in the executive branch is unsustainable.

Looking more and more like a 3-1/2 years situation of a "lame-duck" presidency.

#17 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 03:48 PM

D Magazine shares how Trump's infrastructure grants are overwhelmingly funding roads rather than transit.

https://www.dmagazin...-funding-roads/

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:34 AM

The 2020 Presidential Campaign is underway!

So far, for a vast majority of voters,  choosing who to support is a distant requisite.  However, I find the some of the adjectives being written in the media interesting. Example:

The 2018 Defense Budget chimed in at  $700 Billion per year with hardly a whisper; but a proposal to spend $310 Billion over the next 10 years to increase teacher salary nationwide is described as being "staggering".

Lets put these reactions in some perspective, it would add an addition $13,500 per year to the average salary of $60,000 per year of America's teachers.  A federal investment in encouraging more people to teach and to then paying teachers and educators for the extremely important duty of preparing future generation to compete with the Koreas, Japans of the world is should not be described as staggering, it should be described as being long over due.

#19 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:11 PM

Not sure of the "who's who" in the teacher salary increase proposal, which I too would applaud.  Is this proposal part of the federal budget just released by the Trump Administration or is it coming from one of the Democratic candidates for president and, if so, which one?

#20 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

Not sure of the "who's who" in the teacher salary increase proposal, which I too would applaud.  Is this proposal part of the federal budget just released by the Trump Administration or is it coming from one of the Democratic candidates for president and, if so, which one?

Democratic Sen. Harris (California); she has also announced as a 2020 Presidential Candidate.

#21 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:02 PM

Good for her!

#22 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:22 PM

Disclosure: I voted for Senator Bernie Sanders in the Texas Democratic Primary.  I toyed with voting for Andrew Yang because he, being of the Tech Sector, forecast that will be a significant reduction in labor and this was before the Corvid-19 Pandemic hit the economy.  Andrew Yang called for a Living Dividend for every working adult.  Now it seems that what Yang was cautioning us about is coming to your neighborhood Walmart and these employees will be out of a job.

https://hypebeast.co...rom-stores-info

#23 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:41 PM

In my ever decreasing experience with shopping at Wal Mart, I take some comfort in the fact that removing cashiers might put 2-3 people per shift out of work.  Couple that with the idea that they'll still need people to monitor self-checkout and I bet the number of people pushed out is little more than a rounding error.

#24 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:03 PM

Rounding error?

Walmart is the largest retailer in the country.  If it takes this step, all of its competitors will likely do the same. 

Here is the situation: Going to and working at a job gives employees a purpose and is a factor on one's circadian rhythm. 

Even in my retirement, it has become increasingly more confusing for me to instantly know what day of the week it is and especially since the commuter patterns and work days of those who still have jobs have altered.  There is nearly no traffic congestion when I come to expect it; weekends don't carry the same spree that they did back when. 

The Walmart Experience will have a far more reaching impact upon social order than you may expect.

#25 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:37 AM

Retail cashiers and non-benefitted, low wage employees are a transient workforce.  On a store to store basis, Wal Mart probably loses more employees due to attrition in any given week than they will lose to going with unstaffed cash registers.

#26 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 10:03 AM

Retail cashiers and non-benefitted, low wage employees are a transient workforce.  On a store to store basis, Wal Mart probably loses more employees due to attrition in any given week than they will lose to going with unstaffed cash registers.

I think that you are being blind to or not understanding of macroeconomic ramifications of a Walmart decision to make these kinds of employees unnecessary.  It will have a ripple effect upon tens of thousands of household as this decision is replicated by other companies.  Even though it will begin with "low wage, non-benefited, transient workforce" for which there is evidence that this is not the case, it will inevitably tack to the high wage workforce.

Already, there is evidence that the pandemic is being used to cut labor to increase productivity and stock value.

Beware of falling into a false sense of security that you, yourself can not be an eventual target.

#27 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 11:09 AM

I'll admit that I'm probably underestimating the impact a bit, but I think you're underestimating how close Wal Mart already is to operating this way.  I was in a store on Monday around noon with a parking lot better than half full and they had 1, yes 1, cashier.  Everyone was being pushed toward self checkout, which is monitored by an employee.

#28 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 11:57 AM

A Walmart spokesperson says no employees will lose their jobs due to this change. "The job of the cashier may look a little bit different, but its still going to be in that store, and customers are still going to be able to check out however they want to."
https://www.today.co...rkansas-t184289

#29 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:23 PM

I am actually not underestimating how close Walmart is to already operating in this manner.  I have been cozininantof this change for quite some time.  I actually speak and exchange my feelings about this trend with these employees; many who are not allowed to work 40 hours per week so that they can't become full time employees.

I do think, as post #28 addresses, that Walmart is already beginning to feel some heat about this pilot program.  What the Walmart's of the world are doing is shifting the responsibility of the free market workforce to public assistance.  This employees will eventually be forced to go onto public welfare.  Walmart is just the tip of the spear. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users