• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#1 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

I was by Meacham Airport the other day and saw a lot of construction happening; new office/administrative space up front, a few new hangers... looks like a lot of activity there. I was unable to find any detailed information on just what the specifics were by doing a few quick online searches. There may be a better opportunity to see up close what is going on at the upcoming 90th anniversary celebration coming up in July:

https://www.facebook...?type=1

Happy B-Day Meacham.

By the way, I could not find a dedicated topic for Meacham in Transportation, although there are several topics dealing with carious aspects of the airport scattered all over the fora. It might be a good rainy-day project for "someone" to collect and merge all the semi-related threads dealing with Meacham together in one place (Transportation?)

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:26 PM

Yea they are getting a new "Terminal", rather a large expansion of the existing one. 

Meacham-Terminal-Building.jpg

The atrium will have a piece of public art, 

dl5GAGA.jpg

American Aero also has an expanding presence up there,

http://www.aviationp...ational-airport

#3 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:30 AM

Yea they are getting a new "Terminal", rather a large expansion of the existing one. 

Meacham-Terminal-Building.jpg

The atrium will have a piece of public art, 

dl5GAGA.jpg
American Aero also has an expanding presence up there,

http://www.aviationp...ational-airport

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:34 AM

I was by Meacham Airport the other day and saw a lot of construction happening; new office/administrative space up front, a few new hangers... looks like a lot of activity there.....

Maybe, just maybe, this is the planting of the seed for commercial air service someday.

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:20 PM

Jeriat- Did you forget to add a comment or something? lol. 

#6 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

... I honestly have no idea. lol. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#7 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:41 AM

S-T editorial with very brief history of the founding of Meacham Airport 90 years ago this month:

http://www.star-tele...le28456954.html

I wonder if a reworking of North Main Street from 28th Street to Wright Freeway/I-820 would help improve the possibilities of Meacham being seen as a candidate for scheduled commercial passenger service? There does need to be some sort of alternative to I-35 N for local traffic; even when complete the chokepoints probably engineered into the design (ref. Loop 820 re-do) will make efficient travel on the "free lanes" impossible during business hours. 

#8 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:16 AM

Short video interview with the Fort Worth Meacham Airport manager about current and future plans.

http://www.star-tele...le39396993.html

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

I just wonder sometimes......Does Fort Worth ever see the viablility in having their own version of Love Field?  That is before McKinney National starts flying commercial airlines out of Collin County in the coming 5 years?  Meacham would be great as it's close in and would serve all the great development (tourism and business)_ that is coming in the Trinity basin and Stockyards area.  Jet Blue single-handedly resurected Long Beach Int'l airport some years back by opening up service there which had been absent for some time. With SW's endless push for total monopoly control of Love Field other carriers might want to help FW (and themselves) by giving us a third choice.  You guys are always wailing about how FW gets screwed over by Dallas all the time, here's the chance to change that.  I don't want to hear about the lame ass Wright Amendment anymore either.  It should have never been in place--it hurt everybody and it's a joke that DFW 'needed protection.'  No what was actually the real effect was to lock in American at DFW and SW at Love so there is virtually no competition at either airport and we pay some of the highest air fares in the nation as a result.  Just remember, the McKinney folks are still planning on opening up that airport to the big boys and have only temporarily delayed that decision.  Perot owns much of the land around that airport as of course he totally controls Alliance.  We have to think longer term here. Fort Worth will ultimately be larger in population than Dallas since we can annex abd with the estimated 10+ million people in the DFW area we will need tis additional capacity.   We are a region and other similar-sized areas in the U.S. have 3-5 major airports--greater Los Angeles (6 if you add Lindberg in San Diego)  and South Florida (Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Sarasota-Bradenton, Tampa-St. Petersburg and SW Florida in Fort Meyers.)  All I'm saying is the dynamics are there and if the 10 gates that were removed from Love (stupid and short-sighted) are not replaced than Love is already almost maxed out in the number of flights it can operate under current regulations and restricition s (as in late-night flights).  I know there are real obstacles to be overcome but the ultimate benefit to Fort Worth will be more than worth it.  If it takes half a decade to get this going than so be it.  Everytime I drive my Meacham I think "What a waste of one of the city's greatest assets."  Maybe this can change.  End of rant! lol

HOLY COW, YES!  :wub:

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:28 PM

Never-the-less, the largest obstacle for Meacham becoming a second Love Field is its longest runway being a relatively short 7501 feet, with the second runway being a really short 4006 feet long. FYI: Love Field's two main runways are 8800 feet and 7752 feet long......Boeing does build 737s for short runways as short as 1500 meters (around 5,000 feet), but the 4,000 feet runway would be too short for them. And that is a reliability problem some airlines will find difficult.

So that would be true should the runways at Meacham remained at their current lengths.  But also, isn't it true that the runways at Love Field have been extended over time, from 5200 ft in 1943 to 7750 ft in 1952 and again to their current lengths of 8,800 ft.  Is there an obstacle at Meacham that you are aware of and that would prevent the runway of 7,501 ft at Meacham from being extended?

8,800 ft is only 17% greater in length than 7501 ft.  DFW's 13,400 ft runways are 52% greater in length than any runway at Love Field.

And of course, there is Chicago Midway with its intersecting runways of 6522 ft  and 5509 ft respectively; and that SWA loves. Midway makes Meacham a walk in the park.

As to a reliability problem, is it as dire as you suggest when something like this can happen?:

https://www.google.c...pBwH-Yf8OzpB9U=

#11 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:41 PM

Never-the-less, the largest obstacle for Meacham becoming a second Love Field is its longest runway being a relatively short 7501 feet, with the second runway being a really short 4006 feet long. FYI: Love Field's two main runways are 8800 feet and 7752 feet long......Boeing does build 737s for short runways as short as 1500 meters (around 5,000 feet), but the 4,000 feet runway would be too short for them. And that is a reliability problem some airlines will find difficult.

It would take some SERIOUS in-filling of the pits at each end of the short runway to bring out up to 7500'. There might be room (again with MASSIVE in-filling) to build another runway to the west of there (rotated about 15 degrees to the west) on the land where the quarry is now. Maybe some of the contaminated earth from the new canals in the TRV project could be brought in to help out...  :closedeyes:

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:00 PM

It would take some SERIOUS in-filling of the pits at each end of the short runway to bring out up to 7500'. There might be room (again with MASSIVE in-filling) to build another runway to the west of there (rotated about 15 degrees to the west) on the land where the quarry is now. Maybe some of the contaminated earth from the new canals in the TRV project could be brought in to help out...  :closedeyes:

...and that is among the reasons why I maintain the belief that Carswell is the better and more readily available candidate for commercial air service into Fort Worth. If the city were to invest in a terminal fronting Alta Mere/White Settlement Roads, we could have commercial air service right away.

#13 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:35 PM

https://www.google.c...pBwH-Yf8OzpB9U=[/url]

I
An fairly empty jet weighing far less than a full jet, can take off and land safer on shorter runways. How heavy was this 747 when it landed, how heavy would it be when it would take off? It's the 4000 feet runway that's too short, and questionable.

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

An fairly empty jet weighing far less than a full jet, can take off and land safer on shorter runways. How heavy was this 747 when it landed, how heavy would it be when it would take off? It's the 4000 feet runway that's too short, and questionable.

The answer to the question to the weight of Air Force One would be a national security matter I suspect; but that question is also very probably irrelevant.  I would be very, very surprise if the Department of Defense filed a flight plan to land on and take off from the 4000 feet runway instead of landing on and taking off from the 7501 feet runway; after all and after reading the charts, they still chose Meacham as the place to paint the aircraft.

#15 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:39 PM

A new Fort Worth airport may sound really cool, but it could weaken one of Fort Worth's greatist assets: DFW Airport.

-Dylan

#16 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:50 PM

A new Fort Worth airport may sound really cool, but it could weaken one of Fort Worth's greatist assets: DFW Airport.

I suppose we once all thought that, but as the DMN reports one year after the Wright Amendment ceased to exist, both Love Field and DFW are experiencing tremendous growth. 

A Fort Worth Airport would only enhance competition and would permit the residents living in Downtown, West and South Fort Worth to benefit from having greater convenience to regional and domestic air service.

DFW is trending more and more to the business and international markets.  It would be really cool if Fort Worth residents could have quick and cheap air service to regional destinations.

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:51 PM

...and that is among the reasons why I maintain the belief that Carswell is the better and more readily available candidate for commercial air service into Fort Worth. If the city were to invest in a terminal fronting Alta Mere/White Settlement Roads, we could have commercial air service right away.

Where, exactly, would you put the terminal?  Unless the Hawks Creek Golf Club land can be used, I don't see enough open land for a terminal and any amount of parking.

My blog: Doohickie

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:35 PM

Where, exactly, would you put the terminal?  Unless the Hawks Creek Golf Club land can be used, I don't see enough open land for a terminal and any amount of parking.

That is a valid assumption.

A terminal at the confluence of Alta Mere/White Settlement Road would necessitate the reuse of the golf course for a terminal, parking and additional airport support services.  One of the most valid criticism of DOD is its wasteful perks on golf courses and the likes in this country and on foreign soil. To actualize the land use for commercial air service and the jobs directly generated by a regional airport would be an exponentially greater impact to Fort Worth than a golf course and also would replace the waste of taxpayer money by directing it to a higher use. The only golf course that reasonably generates economic benefit to the city is arguably Colonial for obvious reasons.

One only has to look at the economic impact that Love Field generates for downtown Dallas and the immediate areas to understand the potential here.

#19 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:40 PM

Oh, I'm not saying it's not a better use of the land (economically), but it's not a public course so if the city wanted it for an airport project they might have to go through eminent domain and stuff.

#20 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:33 PM

As has been said time and again, the residents of Westover Hills and Rivercrest will never let this happen in their backyard. I'm not saying an airport on the west side is a bad idea, but the people that make things happen in FW will never be convinced that a full-service commercial airport along the lines of Love Field three miles from their door step is a good idea.

#21 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:37 PM

As has been said time and again, the residents of Westover Hills and Rivercrest will never let this happen in their backyard.....

Said by whom?

#22 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:59 PM

I've said it. I seem to remember someone else agreeing. Who else would talk about it other than those of us on this board?

#23 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:36 PM

As has been said time and again, the residents of Westover Hills and Rivercrest will never let this happen in their backyard. I'm not saying an airport on the west side is a bad idea, but the people that make things happen in FW will never be convinced that a full-service commercial airport along the lines of Love Field three miles from their door step is a good idea.

I have mixed feelings about this. It could be that the added convenience of jet service for affluent residents and businesses close by (who don't have their own airplane or plane-share at Meacham) might offset additional flights from Carswell (JRB). The commercial passenger jets are considerably quieter than military jets, which basically have no "mufflers" and I am sure there would be flight restrictions put in place to disallow flights before 7 AM and after 10 PM. These sorts of things are not unusual for close-in urban airports close to (high-rent) residential areas; Orange County "John Wayne" Airport comes to mind. The one (12k') runway runs north/south so planes don't come close to Rivercrest or Westover, certainly don't fly over those areas. Lake Worth and Benbrook  get more of that action... The same areas bothered by aircraft noise would continue to be bothered if commercial flights started up out of there. Running off the golf course would probably be an expensive proposition as Doohickie hinted at, although Hawk's Creek IS a public golf course (but not a municipal course), and apparently a pretty nice one at that.

#24 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

If it's public, who owns it?  Westworth Village?

#25 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:56 AM

Noise from the current base and the noise of a potential commercial airport on the same site is an apples to oranges comparison. The current base can go hours (probably even entire days) with little or no traffic. A commercial airport will have constant taxiing of planes, regular take offs and landings, and noise that will echo and travel and be heard from miles away, even if traffic is limited to certain hours of the day. A F-18 or F-16 at the base can taxi, take off, and be all the way to Oklahoma in the amount of time it would take an American or Southwest 737 to taxi and take off. I'm not even talking about areas of Westover or Rivercrest being bothered by fly over traffic. I live 6 miles from the closest north/south runway at DFW and I can hear jet engines spooling up on a cool, still evening. That's more than twice the distance from the Rivercrest clubhouse to the JRB runway.

#26 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:59 AM

....I live 6 miles from the closest north/south runway at DFW and I can hear jet engines spooling up on a cool, still evening. That's more than twice the distance from the Rivercrest clubhouse to the JRB runway.

And has there been any uprising to such an extent by residents near DFW that has block commercial sir service? No.

It seems to me and by the constant promotions of the chambers of the surrounding cities - Grapevine, Southlake, Euless, Colleyville, Coppell, Irving that have all grown in number of residents and businesses by being directly associated with DFW.  What proof have you that it would be different for White Settlement, River Oaks and Westworth Village than for the Mid-Cities?  For my entire life living in Fort Worth, I have never heard of any significantly negative remarks voiced by residents who live in West Fort Worth regarding either Carswell or Lockheed/General Dynamics.

There is a vast difference in the noise generated by a jet fighter, B52 and the new generation boeing aircrafts. I think that you might want to reevaluate that opinion.

Doohickie - At one time it was the property of the DOD; and think it was transferred to Westworth Village as part of the DOD to divest itself of its holdings in non-military assets; and that being said, it is a guess on my part.

An airport would generate much much more sales tax and property development than an 18 hole golf course could ever imagine to match.  This would be a bonanza for that region.

#27 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:15 AM

I'm not talking about residents in White Settlement, River Oaks, or Westworth Village standing in the way of this.

And, yes, Grapevine spent a good deal of money taking legal action against DFW in the 90's to make sure that their interests were protected during runway expansions. Unless I'm completely loopy, they managed to get the west runway expansions changed to keep air traffic from flying over their historic downtown.

#28 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

I'm not talking about residents in White Settlement, River Oaks, or Westworth Village standing in the way of this.

And, yes, Grapevine spent a good deal of money taking legal action against DFW in the 90's to make sure that their interests were protected during runway expansions. Unless I'm completely loopy, they managed to get the west runway expansions changed to keep air traffic from flying over their historic downtown.

Then who are you speaking for?

#29 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

Flights of fantasy still exist

#30 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:59 AM

Then who are you speaking for?

First, I'm not speaking for anyone, nor have I claimed to do so. I'm making an observation about what I think will happen if this was ever a serious proposal under consideration.

Second, you know who I'm talking about. You quoted my post above. I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

#31 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:26 PM

People in Westover have endured low flying from fighter jets for decades...planes that fly all around in circles, do touch and go's, etc. 

I don't think a straight approach (from the North 80% of the time) by 737's is going to be much of a problem.  This is NOTHING like what the Park Cities deal with on Love Field.

#32 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:46 PM

First, I'm not speaking for anyone, nor have I claimed to do so. I'm making an observation about what I think will happen if this was ever a serious proposal under consideration.

Then what one is to presume regarding what you think goes something like this - 

the residents of Westover Hills are monolithic in the way that they make decisions and are incapable of making a cost and benefit analysis if a serious proposal was ever under consideration.

Given that a serious consideration would likely be put before the entire city for a vote; and given that Westover Hills does not have a vote in a citywide election; and given that surely some of those who live in Westover Hills and Fort Worth's Rivercrest neighborhoods work for, own or invest in businesses that may benefit directly or indirectly from the commercial airline industry; and given that there now exists, as in decades before, air craft activity in the affected area; one is then to believe without questioning that

,[quote]..."the residents of Westover Hills and Rivercrest (Fort Worth) will never let this happen in their backyard".

#33 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:04 PM

hqdefault.jpg

#34 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:13 PM

Flights of fantasy still exist

Oh Heaven forbid if ever something as positive as this were to come to pass for Fort Worth....it would be such a kill joy!

#35 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:55 AM

People in Westover have endured low flying from fighter jets for decades...planes that fly all around in circles, do touch and go's, etc. 

I don't think a straight approach (from the North 80% of the time) by 737's is going to be much of a problem.  This is NOTHING like what the Park Cities deal with on Love Field.

While I agree completely with your succinct summary pointed assessment , it is probably fair to say that Dallas' Turtle Creek, Uptown and Maple Avenue neighborhoods deal with Love Field; and not so much the Park Cities with the exception of  a few southwesternmost streets of HP that border Lemmon Avenue.

#36 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:18 AM

renamerusk--it isn't about being a kill joy or not being positive about FW.  It is about being realistic with the actual facts.  You certainly live in the fantasy world that FW is going to invest hundreds of millions/billions of dollars in a project that needs the influential folks of FW behind the project to succeed.

The same people who killed the Portland style trolley system at the last minute, are the same influential folks that would kill the JRB international airport.  I mean you claim to be from FW and lived here all your life but yet you cannot imagine those folks being against a Westside airport in their own backyards? 

You. Really. Cannot. Be. That. Naïve.

#37 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:33 AM

renamerusk--it isn't about being a kill joy or not being positive about FW.  It is about being realistic with the actual facts.  You certainly live in the fantasy world that FW is going to invest hundreds of millions/billions of dollars in a project that needs the influential folks of FW behind the project to succeed.

The same people who killed the Portland style trolley system at the last minute, are the same influential folks that would kill the JRB international airport.  I mean you claim to be from FW and lived here all your life but yet you cannot imagine those folks being against a Westside airport in their own backyards? 

You. Really. Cannot. Be. That. Naïve.

Youngalum -  I don't claimed to be from Fort Worth; I am!  I actually opened my eyes for a first time to sunlight on the grounds of Carswell AFB.

I don't claimed to have a lock on reality or the facts at hand, you do!

You only imagine that the westside folks are monolithic and incapable of making a judgement base upon the costs and the benefits of the project - that is a form of egotism based upon mind reading;  whereas I imagine that there will be a variety of opinions and the best argument shall prevail; that is a form of hopefulness.

It is much better to be hopeful and judicially naive than to be constantly a raven of doom and gloom.

#38 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

As for airplane noise in the Park Cities from Love Field, I think the east runway definitely overlaps with a good portion of southern HP when planes take off to the south.

For this reason (the north/south orientation of the Carswell runway) there will be almost zero noise for Westover Hills and the other high-end FW neighborhoods, if you're talking about regular commercial air traffic.  The noise they have always endured is due to the unique aspects of military flying.

All that said, I would bet my life savings on the notion that we won't get real commercial air service in FW in the next 20 years.  It's just not economic when you've got the busiest airport in the entire U.S. (aircraft movements) in the same county, 20 miles away.  Love Field has always existed and has found its niche, but no airport in Fort Worth (Meacham or Carswell) has the location that Love Field has when it comes to businesses nearby.  Not to mention the Southwest dynamic which will always keep Love viable. 

Put another million people to the west of I-35 over the next 2 decades and it might start to be an interesting conversation.  MAYBE at that point Southwest would show some interest...they certainly have to realize that they're losing potential Tarrant County (Parker, Wise, etc.) customers because people won't drive past DFW on the way to Love Field.  So maybe one day that dynamic is so acute that Southwest or another budget airline does something.  But you have to understand the gravity of DFW Airport - starting with the fact that it has 7 runways and basically unlimited capacity - and you realize pretty quickly that it's just not going to be easy to compete with that.  Forget about American ever coming to Fort Worth.  And then realize that all the American customers that have status (like me) would be more than willing to continue driving the 30 minutes to DFW instead of 15 minutes to a local airport on some random airline with very few destination options.  Add in the fact that the point-to-point model is dead, and the hub/spoke airports are the only ones growing.  Look at Memphis, Cincinnati or any number of other cities that are being crushed because of high operating costs relative to traffic and you see a pretty dire picture of what it's like to be an also-ran airport.  I'm just saying it's an uphill battle and the hill is really steep.  And it has nothing to do with noise.  

#39 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

Hannerhan - again, I think that you raise salient points; and a part of me realizes that the number one obstacle to a westside airport comes from the eastside, aka AA and DFW.; there lies the most powerful and concerted lobby against a third airport in the region. But setting aside these immovable obstacles, the fundamentals are essentially in place for a westside airport; though it is more likely to be later than sooner for all the reasons that you have cited.

It will take a visionary with deep pockets to take on AA and DFW, but like Dallas and Love Field showed, it can be accomplished, but like you said - the hill is really steep!

• JBB likes this

#40 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

So in other words, renamerusk, if you agree that an airport is unlikely in the coming decades, then consistently promoting it for JRB is the definition of insanity and fantasy.

See, I can play dime store psychiatrists like you!!

#41 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:41 AM

I definitely agree that noise is far from the only obstacle to a west side airport. I just think it could come down to that when some of the other obstacles fall aside.

Another thing that works in Tarrant County's favor with respect to Southwest is their inability to expand much further at Love Field. Short of monopolizing every gate at the airport, I think they're pretty hemmed in and would face a similar neighborhood fight with new construction. I can't see them uprooting completely from Love, but I could see them looking for a place to drop more gates to the west and I doubt it would be at DFW.

#42 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:28 PM

So in other words, renamerusk, if you agree that an airport is unlikely in the coming decades, then consistently promoting it for JRB is the definition of insanity and fantasy.

See, I can play dime store psychiatrists like you!!

Yes, youngalum, for one to believe in what you have believed in a decade ago, and to believe it today, and to believe it a decade in the future is a definition of consistency.  I shall always promote an idea that I believe in.  Other than yourself, there has not been any support to your call that an airport on the westside is an insane idea.  There have been some sound reasoning but pro and con, but as of yet, none meaningful from you.

The best psychology that I ever received and trusted the most was good ol folk wisdom.  We all may not have the formal training of a practicing pyschiatrist, but most of us can generally recognize strange behavior...so in other words, I guess that would qualify me as a dime store pyschiatrist; and I agree.

Finally, for one to indulge in self-condemnation or self-debasement is in many circles considered a form of insanity.

Perhaps we should now call it a draw.  I would much more enjoy to be engaged in meaningful debate.

#43 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:48 AM

Here's the Terminal currently.

CisEbulUkAQbREP.jpg

#44 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:59 PM

Wanna go to Omaha to see the Frogs?

http://rvrair.com/omaha/

#45 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:50 AM

Would love to see the Frogs play but don't care to visit Omaha, thank you.

Re the terminal building.  It's amazing that it takes two years to build a three-story building!  But, as this is an airport terminal building, I would guess that there are time-consuming hoops to go through...FAA regulations, environmental impact statement, etc.  Was there a public protest by Westover Hills and Rivercrest neighbors (as suggested in Post#20)?

#46 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:21 AM

Did you read the previous posts or the ones immediately following? I was referring to the idea of a commercial airport at the joint reserve base. Nothing to do with the terminal at Meachem.

#47 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:50 AM

Did you read the previous posts or the ones immediately following? I was referring to the idea of a commercial airport at the joint reserve base. Nothing to do with the terminal at Meachem.

Missed that, sorry. 

• JBB likes this

#48 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:11 AM

The new terminal was completed in January but never got posted about.

http://www.star-tele...e128464889.html

#49 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:23 PM

Well, its been a long time (100 days)since a re-igniting of my one man crusade to demand direct, non-sharing air service for Fort Worth.

Always interested in any new initatives to improve the facilities at Meacham as I see and hope that they are the eventual steps to commercial airline service in the City's core area. So this report in the FWBP can be seen as encouraging.

http://www.fortworth...51b37dad89.html

#50 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:55 PM

"We still talk to both companies actively," Welstead said. "Frontier is expressing the most interest. They would love to start service immediately."

http://www.star-tele...e213584164.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users