281 replies to this topic

#51 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

Wow.  That's quite a debate.  I think we're overanalyzing it a little.....

That being said, I imagine that if someone came to them with a really compelling project, they'd listen.  They're not stupid.  They're not afraid of big projects.  They have shown a willingness to be good community partners.  If I was on the board at DTFW Inc., I'd be all over this deal hoping for a better than average outcome...

Yes. You bring, with your perspective, a bit of realism to this debate. In the end, it will be whatever serves the best interest of EX.

But again, I think that you may understand how expectations have been fueled to a pitch with the hint of development on the CNB/Landmark lot.  With Downtown's revival accomplished, expectations are "for a better than average outcome". 

This will be either a massive statement or an achingly normal statement about the image of Downtown.  It will be difficult for me to wrestle once again with the latter.

#52 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:40 AM

The previous administration at XTO did explore a 50 story tower on that site to consolidate their office space.  It's also my understanding that they also studied options with multiple buildings on the vacant lots, including demolition of their non-historic properties. 

Perhaps the building plans are ready;  and what is lacking is the parking.

Can this be do you think?

#53 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

XTO Energy is seeking proposals from developers to build an 800 car parking garage on the site of the old Landmark Tower.....

...."Proposals are expected in by the end of April",  Andy Taft, Downtown Fort Worth, Inc. - Fort Worth Business Press, 4/1/15

Is 30 days a sufficient amount of time?

"XTO Energy, which is seeking requests for proposals from developers for an 800-space parking structure on a one-block surface parking it owns downtown, has told the developers it's open to ideas for more than just a parking structure on the site, Taft said Wednesday. Proposals are expected in by the end of April, he said. The site was home to the old CNB building, which XTO demolished several years ago". - Fort Worth Business Press 4/1/15

Asking once again...30 days?

#54 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:56 AM

I guess this is one of the proposals. Disappointing really, not bad for a garage though I guess. Retail is nice to see though. I really thought XTO might want additional office space in a building that they own, I know they still have some space in 777 Main. This proposal doesn't seem to indicate any desire for that.

garage.jpg

http://www.jllexchan...e-fort-worth-tx

#55 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:26 AM

I guess this is one of the proposals. Disappointing really, not bad for a garage though I guess. Retail is nice to see though. I really thought XTO might want additional office space in a building that they own, I know they still have some space in 777 Main. This proposal doesn't seem to indicate any desire for that.

garage.jpg

http://www.jllexchan...e-fort-worth-tx

In another thread, XTO Energy was contemplating doing more than an 800-car parking garage...looking for prospective investors/tenants for a Class A office building or a mixed-use structure.  If this is what they're planning, they've obviously fallen short of their expectations.  No office building, no mixed-use project.  And...this garage couldn't hold 800 cars, could it? 

#56 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

It looks too much like a parking garage.  It would be much better if it hid its use.  Garages in other cities are aesthetically pleasing by the use of glass, screens, metal, and other materials.

#57 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:38 AM

This is still just a proposal, right?

I have no problem with it at the moment, but only because I'm holding on to the possibility of there being more to this site coming...

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#58 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:19 AM

I think the proposed parking garage is butt ugly - and quite a departure from the usual good taste of XTO projects.  And I am NOT anti-parking garage.  Downtown needs parking to remain competitive.  But John is right - there are all sorts of things that can be done to make a parking garage look nice.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#59 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

To illustrate my point about it being possible to build a better looking parking garage, here is a parking garage in Tulsa (sadly it has since been demolished).  By the time this picture was taken it was old and you can see that mid century addition and a metal roof had been put on.  But even here, it is an improvement over the XTO proposal.  Imagine what this was like when it was new.  And a modernized version would perhaps require screens rather than windows for extra safety.  But the point is something along these lines would be much more attractive - and certainly a better match for all of the other nearby buildings that XTO has so lovingly brought back to life.

autohotel1.jpg

autohotel2.jpg

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#60 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:32 AM

I guess this is one of the proposals. Disappointing really, not bad for a garage though I guess....This proposal doesn't seem to indicate any desire for that.

BREATHTAKINGLY DISAPPOINTING.

It must be a joke or how else could a former site of a 30-story skyscraper be reduced to this?  Is this the exciting July news that Mayor Price was hinting of?

Jetta Operating Tower has never shown brighter in comparison.

#61 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:01 AM

I know we're focusing on the architectural qualities of the art posted by Austin, and I agree it's a blah-looking parking garage.  But isn't the financial aspect of this just as important?  Why is XTO Energy apparently backing out of its earlier hopes of getting a mixed-use office project?  Did they fail to get interested investors?  I know the drop in oil and gas prices may be depressing XTO's bottom line, but I would have thought the downtown FW real estate market was still a going proposition, considering the Jetta Operating Company's high-rise building plans.  And the art shows a parking garage for far less than 800 cars.

#62 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

That's ugly as all get-out.  I guess Bob Simpson took all of XTO's taste with him when he left.

It's also regrettable that the current state of things is "replace 30 story building with parking lot and eventual garage," but then downtown FW already has this uneasy tension between "trying to be a better downtown" and "trying to placate commuters with things that are actively harmful to downtowns" since we can't build even half-decent transit.

--

Kara B.

#63 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:59 AM

Check out the Investment Introduction link on the page that Austin55 linked to under the rendering he posted. It is a link to a PDF with more details.

"The Property, situated on a full downtown block, is a built-to-suit parking structure that will consist of eight (8) stories and approximately 800 parking spaces. Plans are complete." was on page 2, but on page three there is: "XTO will consider additional uses for the Property as long as they incorporate the design features noted in this offering." and there is mention that plans have been developed to include 26,000 SF of ground level programmable space.

It has four car charging spaces and secure bike parking/lockup.

I'm really hoping they don't find the investors, or if they do they will go above and beyond the minimum design features that XTO wants. Looks like whatever gets built there will mostly be parking.

Erik France

#64 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:30 PM

Oh, I forgot alll about the other thread having been started! Sorry, John. Here's the old one, I should have posted in there. http://www.fortworth...00 +car +garage

#65 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

Exxon owns XTO now--they are not going to build something that is pleasing for the city.  But, rather what is practicable for their use as a parking garage. 

If anyone expects XTO to act like its former self then you are never going to be happy as Exxon doesn't operate in that manner.

#66 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:09 PM

Exxon owns XTO now--they are not going to build something that is pleasing for the city.  But, rather what is practicable for their use as a parking garage. ...

Actually, what is there now is a heck more pleasing than what our first peek at a set of proposals revealed; and in previous remarks made by me, I favored a below grade parking structure topped by a plaza.

Seems that ExxonMobil is having to tighten its belt.

#67 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:18 PM

Economy good or bad . Other cities always seem to find a way to churn out skyscrapers. I'm not just talking about Dallas. Even Oklahoma City pop one out during the downturn. Seem like Fort Worth cannot do two things well , Light Rail, and Skyscrapers.

#68 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

Well, Fort Worth did get a new skyscraper during the economic downturn (Omni), it just wasn't a 50+ story office tower.

I've come to accept XTO will build an 800 space garage, but I really hope it looks better than the above rendering.

• JBB likes this

-Dylan

#69 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:16 PM

Well, Fort Worth did get a new skyscraper during the economic downturn (Omni), it just wasn't a 50+ story office tower.

I've come to accept XTO will build an 800 space garage, but I really hope it looks better than the above rendering.

If that's ALL it's going to be, I'd much rather just keep the surface lot...

7fwPZnE.png

#70 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

I think the new parking garage that TCU is building behind ranch management has a great design.
It incorporates the art deco elements that the new Amon Carter stadium uses.

XTO could learn from this example.

#71 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:29 AM

XTO Energy is seeking proposals from developers to build an 800 car parking garage on the site of the old Landmark Tower.....

...."Proposals are expected in by the end of April",  Andy Taft, Downtown Fort Worth, Inc. - Fort Worth Business Press, 4/1/15

Is 30 days a sufficient amount of time?

"XTO Energy, which is seeking requests for proposals from developers for an 800-space parking structure on a one-block surface parking it owns downtown, has told the developers it's open to ideas for more than just a parking structure on the site, Taft said Wednesday. Proposals are expected in by the end of April, he said. The site was home to the old CNB building, which XTO demolished several years ago". - Fort Worth Business Press 4/1/15

Asking once again...30 days?

Not meaning to tread on the earlier thread (sorry, Austin!) but I can't help going back to earlier real estate investment venture (?) expectations by XTO Energy, as reported in FWBP. None of us, I guess, know why hopes were evidently dashed because we weren't there.  But it can't be because of a depressed DTFW real estate market?  My guess is that the blah-looking parking garage art is a reflection of failure rather than success.

#72 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:36 AM

Speaking of skyscrapers, I have heard that the Basses are quietly putting together new plans for the last remaining surface lot in Sundance Square.  Currently it is proposed to be a parking garage/office/hotel.  It is said to be planned at 25 floors or more.  Waiting for all of the numbers to be hashed out before the exact size is revealed.

#73 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:43 AM

We have been hearing about this project since the plaza opened.  The only new information that I see is the possible height. 

#74 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

...."Proposals are expected in by the end of April",  Andy Taft, D

Judging, at least by this proposal, 30 hours was a sufficient amount of time. :angry2:

#75 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:07 AM

Exxon owns XTO now--they are not going to build something that is pleasing for the city.  But, rather what is practicable for their use as a parking garage.....If anyone expects XTO to act like its former self then you are never going to be happy as Exxon doesn't operate in that manner.

At least and for once, I agree with your assessment.

To be among the largest of large global corporations, Exxon (XOM)is acting like a world-class skinflint. It would appear that 30 days was entirely too long a design period for proposals when a 3-day weekend could have produced results equally as bad. Its as though XOM look around downtown and concluded that the demand for the "vendor-box" store like the one  on 6th Street has yet to be fully satisfied and is under appreciated.  Personally, I plan to never buy a lottery ticket, can of soda, (disclaimer, either which I don't buy) or whatever else there is from any merchant hawking products or services from this eyesore so inartfully designed and with such a minimum awareness of its immediate surroundings.

This perfectly demonstrates why I believe that existing and proposed Downtown Garage Projects ought to be reviewed for aesthetic content.

:no:

#76 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

New downtown garage projects are reviewed for aesthetic content.  Any new building planned for construction is reviewed and approved by the Downtown Design Review Board.  Also, any building that has its facade significantly altered has to be reviewed by the DDRB.

#77 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

...but seriously, though... this is still a proposal, right? 

I mean, this can't be ALL they're building, can it? 

7fwPZnE.png

#78 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:55 PM

You know what... just for the hell of it, I'm gonna make a model of a garage (and building) that I would want to see instead of what we've been given so far.

Just like with the L.A. Clippers new logo and uniforms, I'm gonna be confident in saying that I can come up with something much, MUCH better.

So just to start, here's the base that I'm gonna "dress up". More to come...

11219668_10206091185552106_1777353377066

7fwPZnE.png

#79 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:42 AM

Why not something like this? Isn't that a garage with office above? Miami, 647ft .....

https://wdanielander...argo-center.jpg

Now imagine if something like this was on the drawing board, as is the u/c tower in Atlanta, then GE might be interested in Fort Worth [GE other local ops] and XTO might have a ready co-leader tenant; but as earlier suggested, Georgia is going hard to try to land GE.

#80 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:30 AM

If that's ALL it's going to be, I'd much rather just keep the surface lot...

Perhaps oil prices below $40 have come just in the knick of time so that it can cause a pause of this XOM blemish upon the otherwise elegant streetscape that surrounds this block. :smwink:

#81 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:56 AM

9 story garage with ground floor retail going before DDRB... 

Incredibly disappointing. 

#82 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

9 story garage with ground floor retail....Incredibly disappointing. 

And incredibly tone deaf too! :frown:

A 9 to 5, workday wart in an otherwise picturesque streetscape. How does this enhance the quality overall of Downtown, except for the convenience of a few employees whose job stability is as unstable as the price of natural gas. 

Our one prayer should be that XOM will come up with something dramatically aesthetic that is fitting for that spot and that Bob Simpson still has enough influence with XOM to persuade it to do so.

#83 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:37 AM

9 story garage with ground floor retail going before DDRB... 

Incredibly disappointing. 

But they at least have plans to add on to it... right?

7fwPZnE.png

#84 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

Hopefully XTO presents a better looking garage than what they showed us a few months ago.

-Dylan

#85 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:15 AM

A garage by any other name...

#86 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:41 AM

A garage by any other name...

One can hardly find a rational explanation for this project.  By all economic rationales, this garage is, at once, a huge missed opportunity to be productive and is a rarely seen act of "counter economy".

From a paper published jointly by the Economic Departments of Rutgers University and Hartford University - "Why Are Skyscrapers So Tall?.....

Excerpt Quote - The most recognizable use of urban land is the skyscraper. At its most basic level, the skyscraper is a "machine that makes the land pay". That is to say, building height is a solution to an economic problem about how to maximize the returns from a given piece of land.

As an observer or an investor, this project can not be justified as it is being proposal.  One merely has to look at 840 640 Taylor to see how efficiently a piece of land is being used at a far greater maximization than the the Landmark Block.

IMO, it is an economic blunder or an ill advised perk for staff.

#87 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:51 AM

First of all, XTO Energy is a completely different company under the management of ExxonMobil than they were under Bob Simpson.  Second, one could look at the parking garage as a temporary filler for the block until then need is there for an office building, or other use.  I will agree with Renamerusk in that 640 Taylor is a better use of a downtown site.  I would like to see something more on this block, also.  However, it is their property, and they can build on it as they wish.

#88 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:30 AM

First of all, XTO Energy is a completely different company under the management of ExxonMobil than they were under Bob Simpson.  Second, one could look at the parking garage as a temporary filler for the block until then need is there for an office building, or other use.  I will agree with Renamerusk in that 640 Taylor is a better use of a downtown site.  I would like to see something more on this block, also.  However, it is their property, and they can build on it as they wish.

I, too, would like to have seen a high-rise Class A office building or mixed use development at this location.  A 50-story tower would have been wonderful.

But, I think what happened is that the project promoters failed in their marketing efforts.  Probably no fault of their own.  I'm guessing that the downtown market demand has declined because of the Jetta project, the Sundance Square buildings, and other new office buildings downtown.  If that is an accurate assessment (my anecdotal observation only), I suppose they could have put their parking garage project on hold indefinitely until they recruited more commercial retail or office tenants.

Then, again, maybe they need this parking garage as soon as possible for their employees and other tenants.  Maybe some of the recent projects that eliminated parking lots (including the projected Jetta project) has created somewhat of a scarcity of available space.

As to height, I note that most of the parking garages downtown are in the 6-8 story range, while this one is planned for nine floors.  Don 't parking garages have more height than other kinds of buildings because of higher floor-ceiling heights?

Renamerusk, have no worries about future skyscrapers in downtown FW.  Eventually, the scarcity of available land, the narrowness of the tracts, and market demand will mean that vertical rather than horizontal construction is of greater cost efficiency.  And, if one of our old towers needs to be imploded, the replacement project would have to be of sufficient magnitude in order to bear the cost of demolition, among other costs.

#89 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

Parking garages usually always have less height than office buildings, or even residential buildings.  This is due to a lower floor to floor height.  Remember, garages don't have to have heat, air conditioning, or ceilings; therefore, the floor to floor height can be reduced. 

Don't talk about imploding buildings. Most of the structures in downtown that would warrant that type of demolition are our historic downtown skyscrapers.  I would hate to see any of them demolished for new buildings, when there are still plenty of surface parking lots.  Of course, this could happen since the highest level of historic designation these skyscrapers have is Demolition Delay.  I don't think most people in the city realize how few of our buildings are designated as City of Fort Worth Landmarks or City of Fort Worth Highly Significant Endangered Landmarks.  These are the only two historic designations that have legal protection against demolition.

#90 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

I am ready to call this for what it is; and that is a boondoggle and one that there is no way to get around.

The costs of forgoing a project that would generate a greater return outweighs the benefit of providing parking for the staff's lifeless cars.  What next, that  XOM should also provide free gasoline to its staff?

If XOM is unable to market for potential tenants in a city in the hot Texas real estate market, then the failure is squarely on their shoulders.  If the prime location within the CBD is not marketable, then the failure is again squarely on their shoulders. Economists would likely tell you that Jetta and Sundance have a positive impact upon the market.  How is that XOM is could be making its investment upon the needs of Jetta or Sundance when have addressed their parking needs from within?

As for imploding older structures, isn't that actually the spot for which this garage is to be built upon? It deserves to be the site of a grandeur edifice.

Though, the rights of property are constitutional as are the rights to screw up to ones unlimited extent; the laws of economics generally prevail.  From the moment that dirt is turned and then thereafter each day, the difference in income generated by parking v. by potential leasing will mount, the bottom line will show that XOM has frittered away a prime opportunity.

#91 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

Renamerusk, you are correct, the Landmark Tower was imploded on this site.  Sometimes, when I"m in a hurry, I don't think things through properly.  What I meant, was that everything left that could be imploded was either a historic building or a significant structure we shouldn't lose.  One could argue that the Landmark Tower was historic, but it was not exactly 50 years old after final completion.  It's my opinion that if XTO couldn't save the building, no one could have. 

My personal feelings on new highrise buildings is that I want to see them built on surface parking lots, or where non-historic insignificant buildings currently stand.  I don't want them to be built in place of existing historic unprotected skyscrapers.

#92 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:16 PM

I am ready to call this for what it is; and that is a boondoggle and one that there is no way to get around.

The costs of forgoing a project that would generate a greater return outweighs the benefit of providing parking for the staff's lifeless cars.  What next, that  XOM should also provide free gasoline to its staff?

If XOM is unable to market for potential tenants in a city in the hot Texas real estate market, then the failure is squarely on their shoulders.  If the prime location within the CBD is not marketable, then the failure is again squarely on their shoulders. Economists would likely tell you that Jetta and Sundance have a positive impact upon the market.  How is that XOM is could be making its investment upon the needs of Jetta or Sundance when have addressed their parking needs from within?

As for imploding older structures, isn't that actually the spot for which this garage is to be built upon?

Though, the rights of property are constitutional as are the rights to screw up to ones unlimited extent; the laws of economics generally prevail.  From the moment that dirt is turned and then thereafter each day, the difference in income generated by parking v. by potential leasing will mount, the bottom line will show that XOM has frittered away a prime opportunity.

To be fair, there has to be a place for people to park their cars. Otherwise, what do commuters do with their cars when they arrive?

Ideally, most people would take transit. However, transit is not feasible for everyone, and too many parts of Tarrant Co are not served by transit.

• JBB likes this

-Dylan

#93 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:11 PM

While we wait for groundbreaking, here's a new render. It doesn't really show anything special but is interesting.

jettaoperating.png 

To be fair, there has to be a place for people to park their cars. Otherwise, what do commuters do with their cars when they arrive?

People Are Strange, please see above.

#94 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:05 PM

While we wait for groundbreaking, here's a new render. It doesn't really show anything special but is interesting.

jettaoperating.png 

People Are Strange, please see above.
Yeah, you can build a tower AND have a garage on the same lot... Which I'm still crossing my fingers for.

7fwPZnE.png

#95 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:05 AM

Here is something to consider given all the below and above ground parking included in JOT -

Could JOT make XOM Parking Garage even less profitable? 

I certainly hope so; and I will choose to use JOT over XOMPG just so to hurt XOMPG's bottom line. I am on a mission to express my displeasure. :P

#96 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:25 AM

Renamerusk, you are correct, the Landmark Tower was imploded on this site.  Sometimes, when I"m in a hurry, I don't think things through properly.  What I meant, was that everything left that could be imploded was either a historic building or a significant structure we shouldn't lose.  One could argue that the Landmark Tower was historic, but it was not exactly 50 years old after final completion.  It's my opinion that if XTO couldn't save the building, no one could have. 

My personal feelings on new highrise buildings is that I want to see them built on surface parking lots, or where non-historic insignificant buildings currently stand.  I don't want them to be built in place of existing historic unprotected skyscrapers.

I clearly understood your original point.  I wanted to point out that this block is special; once stood there at that time, the tallest building in the city with an amazing revolving clock seen from miles away in all directions.  It seems to me like an additional insult to Downtown that the best that XOM could do with this location is a 9-5, M-F garage. :frown:

#97 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:12 AM

Here is something to consider given all the below and above ground parking included in JOT -

Could JOT make XOM Parking Garage even less profitable? 

I don't think XOM is going to profit from this at all, it's a perk for their employees.

#98 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:41 PM

allow the owners and designers to continue working with city staff and DFWI before making a decision as to move forward with the project or not.

DFWI should work with XTO/XOM to have them build a garage that can meet the demands of a larger part of downtown than just the needs of XOM. Jetta has done this with thier garage, sharing some of it with the FW club bldg tenants during 9-5 and the general public after work hours. 

And perhaps, see if they can convince them to include office space as well. 

#99 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

The Downtown Design Review Board continued this case until November so the client could add glass in the stairwells and awnings over the retail spaces.  According to the Fort Worth Business article, there seems to be some doubt as to whether this project will move forward, or not. 

http://www.fortworth...168c48ae69.html

#100 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:30 AM

The Downtown Design Review Board continued this case until November so the client could add glass in the stairwells and awnings over the retail spaces.  According to the Fort Worth Business article, there seems to be some doubt as to whether this project will move forward, or not. 

If something like glass and awning has become a concern of the DDRB, then it tells you all that you need to know about XOM -- this is a shameless, miserly conceived sub quality scheme that XOM intends to imposed on Downtonwn, a place that has worked hard and long to revive itself.  It is hard to make a silk purse from a sow's ears.

Fortunately, the DDRB has an excellently conceived project in Jetta for comparison.  I am harden that DDRB is willing to put XOM's feet to the fire.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Parking Garages, New Construction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users