Arlington Heights High School

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Willy1

Willy1
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2004 - 12:31 PM

Originally posted 1/25/04:

Okay, I have to give a little fair time coverage to FW's other legendary high school since Pascal already has it's own thread. Are there any proud Yellow Jacket's on here who would like to know more about the cities most beautiful old high school? (Sorry Pascal, you may be a big school, but you have to admit that the building isn't exactly attractive) I'm the 8th person in my family to graduate from AHHS (my great uncle wrote the alma mater)

I was wondering how the school ranks with other FW schools in terms of square footage, etc. As well as if there are any interesting old stories about the building itself. For instance, I know the bell tower on top of the building is filled inside with signatures of students who would sneak up there (via the stairs on the 4th floor) to place their names and class year among the decades of other signatures. I tried several times but never got the job done...

I also know the bell tower used to be lit at night. When I was there it also used to have a blue/gold light that was lit to signify a win after the football games.

I love the AHHS campus - I think it's really pretty and very majestic looking. I was very upset when they plowed through the once-stately front lawn to expand I-30. My graduating class was the last class to actually enjoy the full front lawn.

Anyway, anyone with any interesting facts about the builing/campus???

#2 Prairie Pup

Prairie Pup
  • Guests

First off, I graduated from Paschal, but in those days it really didn't seem to make much of a difference. I dated a couple of girls from Southwest and hung out with some guys from Heights. No big deal. The rivalry as I saw it was always something whipped up by the school administration to prevent students in general from getting their collective acts together: divide and conquer...

My dad was also a Paschalite, he played on the basketball team and somehow or another he was caught around homecoming on top of Heights with a paintbrush is one hand and a gallon of purple paint in the other. My granddad went downtown after a suitable delay to bail him out. Years later a classmate and friend of mine down the street was caught in a similar dilema, but his dad would not go down to bail him out of jail. My dad did. Seems that purple blood runs deep.

By the way, AHHS supporters used to try to kidnap "Rascal" the papier mache panther and paint him (her?) with yellow stripes. I don't remember them succeeding my senior year. But I do believe that Heights has multiple layers of alternating purple and some other color paint on their dome.

Prairie Pup

#3 Willy1

Willy1
  • Guests

I hear you Prairie Pup...

I think the rivarly between the two schools is pretty good natured - yet at times cruel. The paint attacks were mutual. When I was at AHHS me and some friends took my balloon launcher and an ice chest full of water balloons full of blue and gold paint and launched them at the big white wall on the front of PHS... It was an act of revenge for the purple paint that was all over the AHHS tower. There have always been mutual pranks between AHHS and PHS... It's sort of a fun thing I think.

Our senior year, Pascal kids got in trouble for yelling something about AHHS kids being rich brats during a football game... The next week we all got in trouble for yelling the infamous "POOOOOR PAAASCAL". We also had shirts made up that said "I used to go to Pascal" on the front, and "...Until my parents got jobs" on the back. We all thought that was hilarious back then. Now that I look back on it, it's not as funny... Thank goodness for outgrowing inmaturity!

But, like you said, the whole time we were going at it with PHS... we were partying with all the kids from there on the weekends. I had a ton of friends from Pascal, and WHHS. Not so many from Southwest though...

#4 Willy1

Willy1
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2004 - 12:32 PM

I just read on another thread that they're adding a cell tower on the AHHS campus - scary! I hope they don't screw up the looks of the building/campus.

Also heard on the same thread that they're adding on to the building again.... Anyone know what they're adding this time? The campus is getting a little congested with all the new fields, etc. How much more can they add on to the school before they have to add underground parking garages? LOL I'm curious to know how many classrooms AHHS has now and the total square footage before and after this addition is complete. AHHS is already a pretty big school... how significant is this newest addition?

#5 BB

BB
  • Guests

I believe the plan was for the cell equipment to be placed on top of a new light pole at the baseball field. I don't think they are planning to build a stand alone tower for this purpose.

#6 normanfd

normanfd
  • Guests

In the fall of 1968 when Western Hills was supposed to first open its doors, construction on the WHHS building was way behind schedule. Hills students had to attend classes in temporary trailer-type classrooms set up on the Heights campus. The Hills classes had a separate intercom system from the Heights classrooms, and the two student bodies were scheduled different times to have lunch in the cafeteria and use athletic facilities.

The student bodies were divided by the attendance boundaries the FWISD had set despite attending school on the same campus. Only the seniors who lived within the Hills attendance boundary were given a choice of which school to attend, since most wanted to graduate with the classmates at Heights with whom they had attended school during all their years. This happened ten years before I began attending WHHS, but anyone can see how cramped everyone must have been over there.

Back at WHHS, we taunted the Heights kids by calling them "tea sips" and by shouting "Heights Bites, Hills Kills!"

#7 normanfd

normanfd
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2004 - 12:33 PM

I must add, though, that I never understood the "tea sip" moniker. Sure, Heights drew potentially from some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city, but most of the kids in those neighborhoods went to Country Day or Trinity Valley anyway. Overall, I thought Heights was more racially and economically diverse, while Hills, except for some Como kids, was overwhelmingly white and upper middle class at the time I was there. On average, Hills students were probably wealthier overall.

#8 jgiles

jgiles
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2004 - 12:33 PM

Willy1,

The building addition currently under construction at AHHS includes a new dance studio, six new classrooms, two restrooms and mech/elect spaces. The addition totals 12,600 square feet. The existing building totals 149,600 square feet.

The project also includes upgrades to the existing mechanical system, replacement of the existing fire alarm system and ADA renovations, including one new elevator in the existing building.

The main entry will be replaced with new steps and ramps with a cast stone balustrade. A new fire lane will be constructed to access the building addition at the rear of the school. There are no provisions for additional parking spaces in the current project.

#9 Willy1

Willy1
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2004 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the info on the new addition. Interesting stats. I can't imagine there being an elevator in the old building. That's really interesting. I wonder how many times the building has been added onto.

As for the AHHS/WHHS thing. I don't know much about AHHS in the 60's. I know that in the 50's when my parents were at AHHS it was the "wealthy" school in town and it had always been that way. Of course drawing kids from Westover Hills, River Crest, Monticello, and a large portion of the Ridglea neighborhoods pretty much explains why. I think that has continued, for the most part, through the years. I went to AHHS in the 80's and even when I was there the school was pretty "upper crust". In fact, in 1986 or 1987 Texas Monthy ran an article about "wealthy schools" (don't recall the title) but AHHS was mentioned as being one of the wealthiest public schools in the state. They even took pictures of the parking lot and all the new cars. Within weeks of the article being published the AHHS parking lot became a hot bed for car theifs. They had to hire full time parking lot security to protect the expensive cars. As for the richer kids going to Country Day, etc... You'd be surprised how many of the weathier people still send their kids to AHHS - in large part because they themselves went there and want their kids to carry on the tradition and also in part because those private schools have entrance requirements just like colleges and if you don't have the grades you can't attend those schools. I know I was accepted to All Saints and Country Day, but I wanted to go to AHHS because I would be number 8 in my family to go there. The AHHS Alumni Association is really impressive too - it's more like a small private college than a high school alumni association. I would say that after AHHS, WHHS and Pascal probably were the other upper class schools. Southwest used to be, but I think it's sort of gone down hill in the past 10 years or so. One of my best friends is a coach at WHHS now. In fact, I just did a guest speaking gig for him two weeks ago. And, my cousin, used to coash at SW a few years ago.

The "Heights Bites - Hill's Kills" chant was still alive and kicking when I was there. Our reply was something really lame... I don't even remember what it was. Our biggest rival was always Pascal. Our big chant for them was "POOOOR PASCHAL..."

#10 johnlp

johnlp
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2004 - 12:34 PM

Hey Willy1,
Even some of us "Paschalites" chanted "POOOOOR Paschaaaaal"!

Our Football team was so awful during my 4 year stay!

#11 Willy1

Willy1
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2004 - 12:35 PM

AHHS was so bad when I was there that no one went to the first half of the game - we were drinking somewhere instead!

#12 jonnyrules23

jonnyrules23
  • Guests

Paschal still sucks at football

Paschal rules!!!

#13 KipWright

KipWright
  • Guests

I think AHHS is awesome, architecturally speaking. I may be biased, however, since the building reminds me of my alma mater in Atlanta, GA: Druid Hills High School, next to Emory University. DHHS was built about 1927, so they are contemporaries. Both were built during a time when English Colonial Revival was the rage. According to history books, the renovation of Colonial Williamsburg started this nationwide craze. Wasn't Poly High built about the same time

#14 Willy1

Willy1
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2004 - 12:36 PM

Hey Kip,

Glad you like AHHS - it's a classic. And it's one of the prettiest public high schools in FW. Yes, Polly was built around the same time as a part of the work releif project during the depression. They look a lot a like, only I believe AHHS is a lot better kept than Polly. (Although, I must admit I haven't seen Polly in years)

Glad that you appreciate the school and have a similar past experience to bring with you all the way to FW... Must be nice to have a visual reminder of home here in FW.

I wish you could have seen it before the freeway ate up 2/3rds of the stately front lawn that used to see where East bound I-30 now resides. It literally extended almost to the edge of where the West bound lanes are now... It was really beautiful. My senior class was the last class to graduate from AHHS before they tore the front lawn out for the freeway expansion. I remember coming home from college and being sickened by the change.

I think the sign on the front of AHHS says it was established in 1926 or 27... I'm not totally sure, but I know the school actually dates back to the 1800's (in other buildings, of course) I know Stripling Middle School was formerly Arlington Heights High School... before that I think the school was somewhere along Camp Bowie.

Anyway, glad to have you in FW...

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2004 - 12:36 PM

Arlington Heights was a Works Progress Administration building. Poly High was also a WPA project. Both are beautiful buildings, but were designed by different architects. Arlington Heights was designed by Preston Geren and Poly was designed by Joseph R. Pelich.

The architectural firm where I am employed has done projects at both schools, and I have been the project architect on the more recent ones. Although both are in good condition, I believe Heights has been maintained better over the years.

I haven't read the plaque in front of Arlington Heights, but I believe there may be some confusion over the origin of the school. Before they were in the current building, they were in the W.C. Stripling Middle School building on Clover Lane. However, the name of the high school at that time was W.C. Stripling High School. It was built in 1927. The previous building before Stripling was at 5100 El Campo Ave. It is now called Boulevard Heights Elementary and is a complex of three buildings built in 1909, 1922, and 1954. The high school was housed in the 1922 building and was called Arlington Heights High School at that time. Taking one more step back in time, the high school can be traced back to the 1909 building on the same site. When that school was built, it housed all grades and was called Arlington Heights School. We can even trace the school one more step backward to a current house at 5300 Pershing Avenue. That school building was called Arlington Heights Public School and was constructed in 1896. Because all grades were held in the first two buildings, one could make a statement that Arlington Heights High School was founded in 1896. However, the name lapsed from 1927 until 1937 when the high school occupied Stripling's building on Clover Lane. This does not make Arlington Heights the city's oldest high school. That title belongs to Paschal which traces its origins all the way back to 1885. Paschal had several name changes over the years, but the name was always changed while they were in a particular building, not when they moved from one building to another like Arlington Heights.

#16 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:29 AM

I sure wish the Chapel Hill project had been built in a matching colonial style.

I love having the shops and restaurants, but the design is boring.

#17 Doug

Doug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth<br>Tennis

Posted 03 May 2004 - 03:54 PM

OLD PHOTO REFERENCED BEFORE, BUT FITS HERE.
http://www.texasfree...d_maybe1958.jpg

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:11 PM

That is a really nice old photo of the freeway and Arlington Heights.

#19 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:25 PM

Yes, excellent link. Does anyone know about that bridge design? It was used all along I-30, but there are few examples of it left.

#20 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:20 PM

What I think is interesting about the picture is I see no evidence of the pedestrian bridge spanning the West Freeway between Ashland and Hulen that had the same design. I never realized it wasn't built at the same time as the other overpasses.

#21 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:37 PM

Norman, it is there. Look very carefully at the picture and you can see two arches above the Hulen bridge. Also, the pedestrian bridge is at the high point along the freeway. If you look at the picture, you can see that the bridge just beyond Hulen is also at the high point.

#22 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

The appear to be building a metal field house on the Hulen / Donnelly side of the football field. Not the most attractive thing, and it's tall.

Anyone know if they plan on covering it, bricks etc?

#23 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(Willy1 @ May 2 2004, 12:34 PM) View Post

I wonder how many times the building has been added onto.

I think I can answer most of that:

1936: Main building, includes cafeteria, gym, library, auditorium and band hall (now the ROTC room).

~1950: East wing, includes new band hall (now choir room).

~1952: West wing, includes shops at basement level.

1980 (exact date, I was a student then): South wing, includes new library and band hall. This addition was lamented as it disrupted the view of the main building from the south -- the detail of the southern face is considerably more intricate than that of the north. Also, the new addition reduced the patio area from being truly open-air, with a grassy commons leading to the athletic fields, to a dour paved-over courtyard.

~1990: New addition appended onto the southeast corner of existing campus. Allegedly, funding for this expansion came from the 80 feet of the front lawn the school had to surrender for the widening of I-30.

So: four expansions to the main building. This does not include things like the "new" gymnasium, additional tennis courts, fieldhouse expansions, etc.

Lost and lamented:

- The amphitheater where the west parking lot now sits
- The gazebo on the south edge of campus on the middle field (I think there are batting cages there now)
- "The wall," torn down for the construction of the 1980 addition
- Ornamental globes on top of the facades of the auditorium and gymnasium

At least the dome of the tower was restored to its original copper and a weathervane reinstalled (even if the dimensions of the new weathervane differ from the original).

#24 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:51 PM

Awwwww great thread. That's my alma mater (1978). That picture is great and the many times I've tried to explain to my kids how narrow the West Freeway was, they've never gotten it.

It's a beauty. I remember coming back from Spring Break to find the amphitheatre gone. Now that was sad. I am shocked to read that the gazebo is gone, though we called it the Smoke Shack...lolol. The wall, nope never went there!

#25 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:52 AM

Is anybody on here old enough to remember the famous 1963 bonfire episode before the Heights/Paschal football game, which I believe was the Homcoming game for both schools. Heights was scheduled to have a big bonifre out at Benbrook Lake and a group of rowdy seniors from Paschal, members of the Paschal POSSE and also a frat-like group called Barons, made elaborate plans to ignite this bonfire and disrupt the Heights festivities. A botched attempt was made to set an old junker car on fire and drive it down a slope into the the wood that was being prepared for the bonfire. Big John Hall was driving and managed to roll his corpulent body out of the vehicle before it burst into flames Another former Paschal student, whose name I can't remember, was flying overhead in a small private plane while a passenger was tossing rolls of toilet paper out the window. Police and Fire departments responded, and all hell broke loose. It was big news locally and even made the morning news on the Today Show. That same morning a very angry Mr. Berry, the Paschal principal, chewed the Paschal student body out at a special assembly. The game went on as planned, but I seem to remember that Homecoming events were cancelled. Paschal won the game and the championship that year, which was also the same autumn that Kennedy was shot and killled in Dallas after spending his last night in FW. It was a very memborable senior year for many of us. This was before there was any Trinity Valley or Country Day. Rich and poor, White rich and poor at any rate, all attended the same public schools, and Heights kids were known as "tea-sippers" even then.

#26 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:45 AM

I wasn't in PHS yet at that time (class of '74), but knew people who were and heard the story many times. A good friend of ours was in the Heights class that year and I have an acquaintance who was in the PHS class that year, so I've heard the story from both perspectives. Apparently all the 60s classes were pretty rowdy (for both schools), but by the time it got to us 70s people, the PHS/AHHS rivalry had really mellowed out. Heights is a beautiful school and I had an occasion a few years ago to go to a play in their auditorium and it was also beautiful. As much of a Paschalite as I am, I don't think anyone has ever described PHS as beautiful. cool.gif

#27 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:12 PM

I don't think the rivalry was that mellow in the 70's. Remember the ex-county commissioner's son who drove the bulldozer through the AHHS fieldhouse? I'll never admit to driving down a row of Paschal students car with a can of blue paint in one hand and gold in the other...nope, I'll never admit that one.

#28 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:44 PM

I did a little digging and I found more specific dates on the major building expansions. They opened in 1950, 1956, 1958, 1980, 1988, 1989, and 2004.

#29 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Dec 19 2006, 09:44 PM) View Post

I did a little digging and I found more specific dates on the major building expansions. They opened in 1950, 1956, 1958, 1980, 1988, 1989, and 2004.

OK, so I got 1950 and 1980 correct. smile.gif

Do you know what opened in '56 and '58? I'm pretty sure the west wing would have been '56, but I can't think of any other additions that could have come so soon after. FWIW, my dates were based on old memories from looking through old yearbooks in the AHHS library back when I was a student there.

#30 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:02 PM

I pulled this information from the Historic Resources of the Fort Worth Independent School District. The book is available online through the City of Fort Worth's Web Site. It lists the years of the additions, but it only gives details on two, the 1950 east wing and the 1956 west wing. It does tell how many classrooms were added to each, so that might help you determine what was built two years later.

Here is a direct quote from that survey: "An eight-room, 2-story annex was completed in 1950. In the mid 1950s, another addition was constructed that included 12 classrooms and enlarged the cafeteria and library." The dates of the additions are listed next to the school name.

#31 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Dec 20 2006, 09:02 PM) View Post

Here is a direct quote from that survey: "An eight-room, 2-story annex was completed in 1950. In the mid 1950s, another addition was constructed that included 12 classrooms and enlarged the cafeteria and library." The dates of the additions are listed next to the school name.

OK, that helps, some.

"Eight-room, 2-story annex" would definitely describe the east wing.

"Another addition... that included 12 classrooms" might describe the lower two floors of the west wing. Perhaps the third floor was added two years later. A strange way to expand but it seems to fit the facts at hand.

"Enlarged the cafeteria and library" confounds me a bit. The cafeteria of that school is completely underground and doesn't seem to have been expanded in any obvious way. I suppose it's possible that it was extended some to the south in the direction of the west wing classrooms. The library at the time was located in the second story of the main building, smack in the middle facing north. I would guess that they expanded it by knocking down an interior wall and converting a classroom to library space. My memory of the layout of that area when I was there fits this hypothesis, however vague it may be.

#32 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

In 2003, my firm did some building code studies for most of the major schools in the FWISD and Arlington Heights was one of them. From what I can remember, it appeared that the south 1/3 of the current cafeteria used to be the kitchen and the new kitchen was added to the west.

On the west wing issue, how about this theory? The entire west wing could have been completed on the exterior with the third floor "shelled out". (If you don't know, "shelled out" means the roof, windows, and walls are constructed, but no functions or finishes are put in the space.) Then in 1958, the interior of the third floor might have been completed when the district had the funds or the school actually had the need for the extra space.

#33 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:18 PM

John, you've jogged my memory about the cafeteria. I think your theory about the kitchen moving is exactly right. And, in confirming my thoughts on this, I googled up the satellite photo of the campus, which I think may answer the question about the west wing, too.

The kitchen area extends to the west of the cafeteria (western edge of the original building) with a black roof. The roof above the cafeteria is considerably higher than that of the kitchen -- the gym is above the cafeteria.

Now, note that a similar roof relationship exists along the western edge of the west wing. These are where the wood and metal shops, along with a few standard classrooms, exist... all at the same basement level as the cafeteria. The floors above fall strictly within the footprint of the lighter-colored roof. It's getting late and I'm a bit too tired to tie this together with your quoted material to formulate a coherent narrative describing exactly what was built when, but I would guess that the shops and cafeteria expansion probably happened at the same time.

#34 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:22 PM

I also thought of that possibility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users