2 replies to this topic

#1 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:44 PM

Posting some cool old Fort Worth postcards from my collection - a couple might have been posted a long time ago, but they've all gone offline since then (didn't mean to delete them). First up is the shot of the Electric Building/Hollywood Theatre and the 7th Street Canyon:

IPB Image

The usual odd color choices (these were usually hand-colored off of photos - the EB isn't pink, and the Neil P. was never red, for example), but a really cool image. Wish the Worth Hotel/Theatre was still there, don't you?

Another little detail that caught my eye:

IPB Image

Some of the buildings here are obvious - the First Christian Church, bits of the Petroleum Building, STS Building, Woolworth Building, and the sadly demolished Westbrook Hotel. The small buildings in the foreground across 6th from the Electric Building are gone today, of course, replaced by the lovely Startlegram parking lot. The midrise on the left edge there was one of the old department stores, right? I should know which one, but it escapes me at the moment.

So, what's the building next to the First Christian? That's a nifty little building. Anybody have an idea?

--

Kara B.

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:21 PM

When I was a kid, I believe Edison's was in the midrise on the left edge of the postcard.

The building next to the First Christian Church was their Education Building. It was constructed in 1929 and it was designed by Van Slyke & Woodruff, the same architects for the main church building. The Education Building was seven stories and had a gymnasium on the top floor. It also contained a swimming pool, a kitchen, and meeting rooms. The church sold the building in 1990 to Rattikin Title Company for construction of a new office building and to raise funds for restoring the main church. It was demolished that year and the office building was never constructed.

#3 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Dec 5 2006, 06:21 PM) View Post

The building next to the First Christian Church was their Education Building . . . The church sold the building in 1990 to Rattikin Title Company . . .

Subject to a parking easment agreement, which apparently is still in full force and effect smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users