15 replies to this topic

#1 CourtneyC

CourtneyC

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:37 AM

Does anyone have photos of the old bank, Westside State Bank, which used to be located near University and 7th?

Thank you!

#2 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:09 AM

I have a book that has a photo of it during the 1949 flood. When I get home, I'll look up the source.

#3 JOCOguy

JOCOguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:36 AM

I think the bank was built in the late fifties or early sixties. I doubt it if you would find it in a 1949 flood picture.

#4 CourtneyC

CourtneyC

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (JOCOguy @ May 29 2008, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the bank was built in the late fifties or early sixties. I doubt it if you would find it in a 1949 flood picture.

Actually, from what I found it opened in 1947. The Star Telegram was able to send me 2 pictures (or a photocopy of two pictures) with the date of 7/18/47. West Side was later bought and renamed Bank of Fort Worth in 1978. smile.gif

#5 JOCOguy

JOCOguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

My parents used Westside Bank, the bank may have opened in 1947, but the last building they occupied was built later. I remember my parents using the term "new bank" refering to it.
My brother remembers it being built when my mother would stop there on the way to the Medical Arts building for allergy shots. He was born in 1950 and was in elementary school when he remembers the new bank being built.

#6 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

Unfortunately, this is the only online version of the photo in question that I could find:

The building at the right margin is the West Side State Bank.

#7 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

No problem, Courtney. I do have a much larger version of that photo in a book if you'd like to get together. I believe it also has a photo that's basically a front elevation, showing the clock that was embedded in the facade. I don't think there would be a copyright issue with your scanning these...

#8 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

Also, I just found this old forum thread that shows the bank being commissioned and designed by Wiley Clarkson in 1947.

#9 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:57 AM

<<<<<<by the way, did that firm take on the process of cataloging all of Mr. Clarkson's documents? Just curious. John?

Mary Bess

#10 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

There is a photo of the Westside State Bank during the "49 flood" on the Facebook page Fort Worth Memories and History.

#11 qmcgown

qmcgown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

Wiley Clarkson continues to expand the site documenting his grandfather's design work. He has an image of the West Side State Bank about 2/3rds of the way down the page at this link:

http://www.clarksons...sinessbldgs.htm

I'm still looking for a better image for my mid-century modern architecture project.

#12 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

I have some photos and I have the original photo brochure for the opening of the bank .

#13 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

I started posting the West Side State Bank Stuff - I will finish the posting tonite . If anyone else is looking for photos or documents , just send me a message I have lots of stuff . Thanks , Larry just go to http://fortworthmemories.simdif.com and scroll down to west side state bank

#14 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:40 AM

I have a copy of a photo of the Westside State Bank during the 1949 flood.

#15 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:39 AM

I wish I had some photos of this bank to share.  My old apartment on Hamilton Ave. was just up the street from the Westside State Bank, and I opened an account there in 1968 and closed it in 1972 when I moved away from Fort Worth.  Ironically, when I lived in Houston, my bank there was the EASTend State Bank!  Both were old banks that seemed to really appreciate your business with them.

#16 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

Give me a email address / I have lots of stuff on that bank , Larry Oneal @fort worth memories / Larry Oneal Collection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users