• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:11 AM

A client and I were headed back to Fort Worth after lunch in Arlington the other day.  As we went along the Belknap cut-off from H 121 into downtown, my client remarked at how ugly and out-of-place the old Purina plant is, and he pointed out the new and unusual looking Top Golf establishment.  I had to concede that the old Purina plant in proximity to that tall fenced-in Top Golf site makes for a strange-looking pair.  Top Golf may become a "signature" piece for the east side of downtown.  My client suggested the Purina plant should be demolished.

#2 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:06 AM

Is there any activity going on at the Purina plant or is it shuttered?

My blog: Doohickie

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

It's operating.

Possible beautification idea- painting them?

https://www.google.c...AUICigC#imgrc=_

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

Yes, they're still operating.

They could paint them with light.

Turning lemons into lemonade:  Unsightly grain elevators in the redeveloping waterfront area?  Use them as canvases for night time light shows.

1003234594%20grain-illumin%2318.jpg

1003234594%20grain-illumin%2320.jpg

My blog: Doohickie

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

Yeh that's a beautiful and probably not to expensive option.

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

I'll be the one to go out on a limb and say that I don't have a problem with the Purina plant. I like neighborhood diversity and it's pretty inoffensive for an industrial neighbor. (Drive the Northside and you'll see that it could be far worse.) The silos were reduced by half in recent years and the bad smell from 15 years ago isn't there. (My employer had a warehouse across the street from the plant for 18 years. I spent a good amount of time in the area.)

#7 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

JBB, I would tend to agree with you.  But I think what irks my client friend is that the old industrial-style silo doesn't seem to fit in with the increasing modernization of our downtown.  I don't have a deep-seated opinion about this.  As to Top Golf, its not located precisely next door to Purina.   Maybe about 3-tenths of a mile away?  But I bet Top Golf promoters were concerned about whether it would be a good location, considering how run-down is the neighborhood east of downtown.  I know there's a separate thread on Top Golf, but anyone know how they're doing?

Austin, I don't think graffiti art is going to do much for Purina...not sure Purina would go for it, either.

• JBB likes this

#8 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

How is Top Golf doing? If the full parking lot and every inch of grass around it being used to park cars on evenings and weekends are any indication, they're doing more than okay. The parking lot at the front of the building was 3/4 full at 2:00 yesterday afternoon when I drove through.

Top Golf is a destination and I don't think that location was much of a concern. I said this in the other thread: there was nothing coincidental or accidental about their choice of location. They have what I would say is better than a hunch that the area is poised for heavy development.

I would still disagree with your client. Is it different, rugged, and maybe a little ugly? Sure, but I like that it adds to the diversity of the area and the skyline. The idea of "increasing modernization" is a dangerous path to go down as I could easily see that same argument used to justify removing significant historic buildings.

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:11 PM

JBB, I would tend to agree with you.  But I think what irks my client friend is that the old industrial-style silo doesn't seem to fit in with the increasing modernization of our downtown.

Just hang in there with the silos. At some point, you can have something like any one of the following

-https://www.google.c...4zaCQrFeI7bynM:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users