Photo
- - - - -

Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Downtown Office New Construction Bennett Benner Partnership Frost Tower 640 Taylor

• Please log in to reply
675 replies to this topic

#1 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

http://blogs.star-te...fort-worth.html

Great location, covered parking, 3/4 of a downtown block, only land purchase announced.

#2 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

From the FW Business Press article on this development:

"The multiuse office building also would include retail space and a parking garage that the Fort Worth Club would use for its members, guests and tenants."

#3 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:men, reading, music, and development

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

i hope it is a building that will impact the skyline at least a 25 story building

#4 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

i hope it is a building that will impact the skyline at least a 25 story building

I wouldn't hold my breath. 

It is possible with the area in question, but more than likely, they'll keep it under 15.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#5 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

It is possible with the area in question, but more than likely, they'll keep it under 15.

I hope not. I'm still in favor in this city getting some impact on the skyline. I also hope it is a nice looking building as well

#6 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

I don't care anything about how tall it is - I only hope it is:

#1 - Very well designed from the perspective of creating an appealing and humane urban space at street level, and

#2 - Attractive, and hopefully not trying too hard to be flashy or radical in some way.

--

Kara B.

#7 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

I too.  It would seem that purchasing that location would dictate building something that would require a project that will need to generate a return at multiple times the cost; and that the way to do that is to offer 200K+ Class A space at this tight and irregular space; or simply put, to go vertical.

I am thinking 15-20 levels of office space atop of 5 levels of parking and street level frontage.

#8 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

I don't care anything about how tall it is - I only hope it is:

#1 - Very well designed from the perspective of creating an appealing and humane urban space at street level, and

#2 - Attractive, and hopefully not trying too hard to be flashy or radical in some way.

Given that the current planners/architects on the project are BennettBennerPartners (BBP), I'm not overly concerned on either of your two criteria.

#9 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Yeah, the presence of BBP is reassuring.  They usually do solid work.

--

Kara B.

#10 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

I'd like it to be at least as tall as the surrounding buildings, which is just 4-7 floors. I'd be happy to have something bigger though. Glad to see BBP name to. And glad to hear retail may be included.

#11 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

Hoping for a skyscraper, but expecting a 15 story or less building since their current office space fits within the Fort Worth Club Building.

-Dylan

#12 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

Anyone have a certain style they would want for this project? 

7fwPZnE.png

#13 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

Deconstructionist Brutalism. Obviously.

#14 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

Oh God...

57dd6_orig-5df78_orig_cringe.gif

7fwPZnE.png

#15 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:37 PM

It would fit in nicely with the utterly awful former Star-Telegram concrete bunker that takes up the remaining 1/4th of that block.

--

Kara B.

#16 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

It would fit in nicely with the utterly awful former Star-Telegram concrete bunker that takes up the remaining 1/4th of that block.

What is that place for, anyway? 

7fwPZnE.png

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:48 PM

You might take a look at the Caceria Building, 5th @ Commerce and is a BBP designed project. If parking is being added to supplement the FW Club Tower, then there will probably be some considerable height to this project 200ft+

#18 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:15 AM

Personally I'd really like to avoid any sort of "revival" architecture as there is already plenty of it and likely more to come as long as Sundance sticks with Schwarz. 

I'd like to see a more modern design, more glass and metal than stone and brick. If its a relaivly short building something like Victory Plaza's office buildings could be cool, if it's taller I'm a big fan of the varied glass textures that have been popular lately, such as this. I just want to see something a bit more 2014 looking than what a lot of downtown has built recently (not that I don't also love revival styles, just want something different"

#19 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:54 AM

Personally I'd really like to avoid any sort of "revival" architecture as there is already plenty of it and likely more to come as long as Sundance sticks with Schwarz. 

I'd like to see a more modern design, more glass and metal than stone and brick. If its a relaivly short building something like Victory Plaza's office buildings could be cool, if it's taller I'm a big fan of the varied glass textures that have been popular lately, such as this. I just want to see something a bit more 2014 looking than what a lot of downtown has built recently (not that I don't also love revival styles, just want something different"

I watched a video recently about the new Bullitt Center in Seattle.  Details in the NY Times article below.  This building is obviously designed to please environmentalists but it's also efficient in its use of energy.  Maybe a smart thinker in Fort Worth will use it as a model?  On the other hand, spacious glass windows for lighting may be okay for relatively cool Seattle in summertime, but what about 100-plus Fort Worth?  Of course there's the all-glass Chesapeake energy building here.  Someone please instruct as to how to stay cool in these buildings, even when it's very hot.

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

#20 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

All-glass towers are pretty terrible designs for this climate, no matter how many green technologies are loaded up on them.  (Naturally, everybody does them anyway, because it's "modern" and if our kids have to abandon them because we've run out of energy to keep giant sealed glass tubes climate controlled in 110 degree heat, well, we'll be gone by then, right?)

--

Kara B.

#21 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

I think over the next 10-20 years we're going to see a very interesting dialogue within the architectural community about what is or should be considered "modern" (and by that I mean "of this time" and am not referring to Modernism). It seems that the past several years have seen many younger architects focusing on (either deliberately or implicitly) reimagining the very function of a building, with a particular focus on environmental sustainability; emphasizing not simply the building's role in containing people and activities and/or standing as a physical expression of the architect's own sentiments or philosophy, but in capturing, storing and preserving energy and offsetting the building's impact on the environment through everything from green roofs to mounted wind turbines and everything in between (although most of this work has still been heavily influenced by the legacy of Modernism... but with a few amendments to reduce an individual building's impact on the environment). You can also see a similar trend in landscape architecture with the emergence of the so-called landscape urbanism.

However, playing in the background of all this is the increasing interest in or emphasis on the interaction between an individual building (or a collection of several buildings and the urban fabric that stitches them together) and its surroundings, with an emphasis on walkability, human-scaled design and an increased tolerance of ornament. In other words, there have been many architects who have been digging up the tools and techniques that came before Modernism and applying it to present needs, with many of them feeling perfectly fine with using materials and styles that were more prominent in previous generations and that have since been declared outdated. In many or most cases, these have been the David Shwartz and BBP's of the world and their buildings have turned out very much like what you'd find at the turn of the last century, but adapted for modern needs and usage. What is interesting to me about the work that has been done by these and similar architects is that, after a couple of generations of everyone using only the materials pre-approved by the Modernist cohort as being suitable for "new" architecture, is that now the use of brick and balance and proportion and ornament and architecture at a human scale actually feels, in many ways, quite new versus yet another curtainwall tower.

My feeling is that over the next 10-20 years (especially as the most hard and true Modernists and Postmodernists begin to age and either close up shop or, well... die off), we're going to see an interesting interaction take place between all of these trends: the legacy of Modernism and its canon of always pushing the envelop when it comes to materials and structure, the increased emphasis on sustainability and reimagining the function of a building beyond that determined by its occupants, and the willingness to embrace the styles and techniques of the past so long as they are suitable to the needs and objectives of the current time and place (emphasizing not just the individual building, but its interaction with humans and its surrounding neighborhood). I have no idea what this may end up looking like, but my guess is that it is going to be a much more eclectic period with each of theses trends borrowing at times from one another (sometimes successfully, sometimes not).

#22 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

I wonder how long before they present a model of what the office building will be looking like and how tall it will be. I still believe that it should taller than 20 stories due to the fact that the city is trying to bring in more businesses and make more of an impact. Dallas and other cities get more because they build more. If the people who are over these things would look at other major cities they see how important that is. Plus we should get more of a diverse identity as well.

#23 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

Any current news on this?

#24 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

Patience...

7fwPZnE.png

#25 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

It's been 3 weeks.  IF THE DIRT ISN'T TURNING, IT MUST BE DEAD!

#26 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

Let's take bets on how long some of it takes.

Renderings released-Over/Under 3 Months

Number of floors-Over/Under 10

Ground Breaking-Over/Under 15 Months

Actually being completed as advertised-Yes/No

#27 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Patience...

Right

#28 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

It's been 3 weeks.  IF THE DIRT ISN'T TURNING, IT MUST

Let's take bets on how long some of it takes.

Renderings released-Over/Under 3 Months

Number of floors-Over/Under 10

Ground Breaking-Over/Under 15 Months

Actually being completed as advertised-Yes/No

- over 

- under (not really including the garage) 

- over 

- Yes.

7fwPZnE.png

#29 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

It appears from the article that the project would include more parking than would typically be built - to help support Fort Worth Club events and tenants.

So, with that my best guess is that they might build 100,000 - 200,000 SF of office space, maybe 6-8 floors of structured parking underneath and ground floor retail.

That would result in a building with about 11 - 19 stories in total.

And projects of this complexity in a dense urban area require a lot of work and brain damage - dealing with several utility providers, neighbors, tight sites (off-site construction staging and coordination) street closures, Downtown urban design guidelines and review process, TIF approval (presumably) etc etc etc that greenfield suburban projects don't.  I hope that this gets built because i think it is very important for Downtown Fort Worth to continue to grow as a major center for commerce.  To do this, we want to see the continued addition of well-designed, interesting, office buildings, with good pedestrian-friendly streetscapes. 

Besides, that little zone of downtown has WAY too much surface parking right now - looks terrible right now.

BTW, this reminds me - our downtown has way too many ugly parking lots.  I really wish we'd see parking lots downtown install shrubbery around the perimeters as you see in some other really attractive downtowns.  Our Downtown is so visually appealing - the ugly surface parking is a glaring ugly mark on an otherwise very attractive urban district.

#30 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

What I would really love to see is Jetta building enough spaces in that garage to accommodate the residents of the Historic Electric Building.  If they were to provide those, there would be a chance that the Hollywood Theater shell could be restored back to its former glory.  Constructing a new building in this location without providing that parking, just about guarantees the remains of the theater will continue to be a parking garage for many years to come.  I know I'm dreaming, but it can't hurt.  Also, finding a use for a large, restored, Art Deco theater would be tough in that part of downtown.  I guess I should be happy that part of one old downtown theater is still intact.

Urbndwlr, I agree with you that the existing parking lots are ugly.  However, as long as they are not modified, they can remain as they are.  New downtown parking lots are required to have landscaping, street trees, lighting, and screening of some type.

#31 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

I might be wrong but I am more interested in the growth of our skyline. We need more high-rises Downtown. That's why I hope that this building will be tall and thats why I can't wait for Trinity Terrace to break ground on the 3rd tower. With that being said that patch of land on Henderson needs to be built up too as well as that entire row of surface parking lots next to the transfer center and train station, lol. Downtown is pretty but COME ON lmpo :laugh:

#32 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

This building is it a pretty predominant location, especially for those traveling between Burnett Park/Plaza and Sundance. I hope the retail offered is well trafficked and kicks up those empty slots in the Tower's annex to get filled in. 

IF this ends up being something fairly big it would be fantastic if it ends up looking like Austin's currently U/C Colorado tower, which is 30 floors, 12 of which are a 900 space garage. But I beat if I had'nt told you that, you would not have known it was a garage there. Even if this project ends up being much smaller (as I assume it will be) It'd be nice if the garage was so well disguised. I'm not sure of any past BBP/Gideon Toal garage designs.

#33 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

This building is it a pretty predominant location, especially for those traveling between Burnett Park/Plaza and Sundance. I hope the retail offered is well trafficked and kicks up those empty slots in the Tower's annex to get filled in. 

IF this ends up being something fairly big it would be fantastic if it ends up looking like Austin's currently U/C Colorado tower, which is 30 floors, 12 of which are a 900 space garage. But I beat if I had'nt told you that, you would not have known it was a garage there. Even if this project ends up being much smaller (as I assume it will be) It'd be nice if the garage was so well disguised. I'm not sure of any past BBP/Gideon Toal garage designs.

30 floors would be great, in my view.  But I believe two factors will determine size of this particular Class A office building (aside from market characteristics such as lot square footage, per-square footage construction costs, and demand for office space).  One factor is whether BPP is influential with the developer in its decision on the architectural design.  Not knowing exactly how this works, I may be wrong...but BPP's portfolio of past projects (on its website) shows only low-profile structures.  No high rises. 

The second factor is Jetta Operating Company's financial position and its motive for moving out of its current location in a single suite of offices on Main Street.  I know nothing about this company, but I'm guessing is takes a back seat to big players like Chesapeake and XTO.  Point here being do they have the financial resources to go big with new office space?  Also, there's motive.  Are they looking for a commanding presence downtown?  If they are, we might be looking at a 20-30 story building with the name Jetta embellishing a sign on top.  This is not a far-fetched idea, considering Oklahoma City's recent experience with an energy producer spending big bucks for a downtown skyscraper.   Chesapeake, of course, didn't have to build an office, they just took over Pier1's.  Why XTO hasn't emboldened its presence in downtown FW is beyond me.  Maybe they're just a humble bunch of people at XTO.

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

^I looked Jetta up (I'd never heard of them...) and found another ST article that talks a bit more about them.

Quick facts- They currently employ 115 FW'ers, and more info will be out when the deal closes, likely in June. 

http://www.star-tele...operatings.html

The lot that currently occupies the site has about 90 parking spots, so assuming all 150 employees drive to work and FW Club has some overflow, that's just 2-3 floors of parking. 

Is there any chance Jetta would build an even larger building than they need and lease out extra space to other companies?

One other thing, I like FW's lack of signs atop highrises. Only building I know that has any is the Cityplace towers, and the signs actually look good on them. 

#35 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

^I looked Jetta up (I'd never heard of them...) and found another ST article that talks a bit more about them.

Quick facts- They currently employ 115 FW'ers, and more info will be out when the deal closes, likely in June. 

http://www.star-tele...operatings.html

The lot that currently occupies the site has about 90 parking spots, so assuming all 150 employees drive to work and FW Club has some overflow, that's just 2-3 floors of parking. 

Is there any chance Jetta would build an even larger building than they need and lease out extra space to other companies?

One other thing, I like FW's lack of signs atop highrises. Only building I know that has any is the Cityplace towers, and the signs actually look good on them. 

I don't like the modern internally-lit signs on the upper floor announcing whatever tenant paid the most money - but I'd sure go for some snazzy old-school rooftop neon signs.  :)

--

Kara B.

#36 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:46 AM

Any news on this?

#37 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

Yes, tons. We're all just keeping it to ourselves.

#38 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

lmao :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

#39 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

I hope not. I'm still in favor in this city getting some impact on the skyline. I also hope it is a nice looking building as well

Prideftw. Many here like you, myself included. Also want a tall office tower. But this is Fort Worth after all .Just don't see happening. But good news. Dallas is building yet another 20 story mostly office tower in Uptown. Not very tall by Dallas standards . But very new Euro flashy design. That I like . I have not seen any night time renderings. But no doubt it will have porno lights all over the thing that can be seen from Mars . That I don't like.

#40 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:59 AM

Prideftw. Many here like you, myself included. Also want a tall office tower. But this is Fort Worth after all .Just don't see happening. But good news. Dallas is building yet another 20 story mostly office tower in Uptown. Not very tall by Dallas standards . But very new Euro flashy design. That I like . I have not seen any night time renderings. But no doubt it will have porno lights all over the thing that can be seen from Mars . That I don't like.

I don't see how Dallas uptown district building a skyscraper is good news to a Fort Worth lover like me, lol, but the porno lights will be something to look at lmao :roflol:

#41 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

I might be wrong but I am more interested in the growth of our skyline. We need more high-rises Downtown. That's why I hope that this building will be tall and thats why I can't wait for Trinity Terrace to break ground on the 3rd tower. With that being said that patch of land on Henderson needs to be built up too as well as that entire row of surface parking lots next to the transfer center and train station, lol. Downtown is pretty but COME ON lmpo :laugh:

I would love to see some height and density, but I don't see it happening soon as we have too many people in power who want Fort Worth to be the worlds largest small town.

#42 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

I know and that is really sad actually. This is why so many people don't realize that Fort Worth is a major city. It is truly a shame.

#43 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

The Fort Worth way---we must keep our cowboy culture with small town thinking--people don't see cowboys in urban settings unless it is a movie.  I am being sarcastic.

#44 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

lmao

#45 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

The Fort Worth way---we must keep our cowboy culture with small town thinking--people don't see cowboys in urban settings unless it is a movie.  I am being sarcastic.

I don't think percentage-wise that Fort Worth has many cowboys at all.

#46 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

Any news on this?

#47 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

Not at the moment.

7fwPZnE.png

#48 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

#49 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

LMAO LOL LOL

#50 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:22 PM

Lots of soil sampling this week

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Office, New Construction, Bennett Benner Partnership, Frost Tower, 640 Taylor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users