--

Kara B.

#2 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

Very nice series of photos. Creates a distinctive mood. Guess you're happy with the G9 camera. smile.gif

Bruce Burton

#3 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

Yes, they are a done rather well... dramatic. That one with the blown lights on the Intermodal... next time when you are out and about suggest trying bracketing HDR on it. Maybe you can pull out the clock numbers. I know that CS3 and ACR 4.1 has a new option for recovering clipped highlights. Also a minor White balance adjustment would remove the blue cast [florescent lighting ?]

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#4 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

The blue cast was intentional. As for the blown out clock, it doesn't bother me too much - the photo evokes the mood I was going for.

--

Kara B.

#5 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

What works for the photographer... works... I guess.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#6 ladybug

ladybug

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

Great Pictures -

Hey does anyone know if its true about some of the buildings downtown FW - that people party on top of the buildings? Like the patrons of local bars upon closing go to the top of the buildings to keep partying?...?

Just wondering....

#7 tjh1

tjh1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:29 AM

These pics are awesome!!

#8 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:22 PM

Excellent pics,AG!

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Jan 30 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that patio furniture reflecting in the glass,on the top right of the pic?If so,where would it be coming from?
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#9 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:16 AM

Some more:

--

Kara B.

#10 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:01 PM

Random photo's is about right for this one. (Not to taint A/Gs professional pics here however)

This is a picture of North Main Street, up to the turn at like 21st street. I have highlighted The Mercado.
I like this picture because it is from a unique perspective. (Far away and high up from my 34th floor perch)

I took this yesterday in the rain washed clean air. (400mm, no 2x because must be on tripod for that and I cannot tripod around the corner of my balcony to see north.) I did crop the picture about 40% so would have been a great use for my 2x.

www.fortworthview.com

#11 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:03 AM

Just after sunrise pics from my balcony this morning. I like seeing the Transport Life building reflected on the Carter Burgess building. It is like my inspection mirror to gage progress on the East Side of this grand old building. XTO is working like crazy on the old building. I can't wait for it to spring to life once again.

And as long as I'm on the balcony...

www.fortworthview.com

#12 T&PLoftDweller

T&PLoftDweller

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:51 AM

Just curious what time the picture to the east was taken this morning? I think I'm one of the cars on the spur!

#13 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (T&PLoftDweller @ Sep 17 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just curious what time the picture to the east was taken this morning? I think I'm one of the cars on the spur!

I think you're pulling my leg about seeing yourself in the photo, but just in case:

Because I use my camera in astronomy, I keep it to the second best I can. Surely within 5 seconds.
My info tag with that photo says it was taken at 7:34:51 AM. So give or take a couple of seconds at most.

BTW: The sun rose at 7:14 this morning. For proof, see my picture in the "Photos in the Distance" in this Photography section.

P.S. Sure wanting to make it in the T&P Condo's one of these days. Hint, hint. Have only been in train station.

www.fortworthview.com

#14 T&PLoftDweller

T&PLoftDweller

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Sep 17 2008, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (T&PLoftDweller @ Sep 17 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you're pulling my leg about seeing yourself in the photo, but just in case:

Because I use my camera in astronomy, I keep it to the second best I can. Surely within 5 seconds.
My info tag with that photo says it was taken at 7:34:51 AM. So give or take a couple of seconds at most.

BTW: The sun rose at 7:14 this morning. For proof, see my picture in the "Photos in the Distance" in this Photography section.

P.S. Sure wanting to make it in the T&P Condo's one of these days. Hint, hint. Have only been in train station.

Aw man, I was a little bit earlier than that yesterday... That would have been cool if it was me though!

You'll have to come by the T&P some time. I don't have the amazing downtown view like you, but the 10th floor view of the southside is pretty neat. I'm trying to borrow my friends camera and tripod so I can try my hand at some Fort Worth photography from my point of view.

#15 texanbob2you

texanbob2you

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:38 AM

Well hi to you all in Fort Worth,
My name is Bob Atkinson, i was actually born at 2222 Jacksboro highway, in October 1961,
My dad is, Charles Robert Edward Atkinson, or, (Bob) as he was known, he was in the aircraft industry.
Basically, i was born in the house next to the main big white house, 2222, we knew the couple who owned it very well, they where a really nice couple, they used to look after our litle dog some times!
Anyway, my mum & dad remember it when it was used for gambling, & the woman of the night!
I was hopeing i could here from someone about there mempories of 2222, or anyone who remembers us, (The Atkinsons)or to know anything about it at the time we where there in 1961.
I hope to here from someone there, as i am now here in Suffolk, England, England being my mum & dads birth place.
Thanks, & dope to here from someone soon regarding this.
Thanks, Bob Atkinson.
texanbob2you@yahoo.com
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

#16 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:33 AM

Somebody's getting a new Air Conditioner this morning!

And they had a great idea for the old one on the way down. Drop it on one of those loud and rude motorcycles!
(And the freon that escaped was a thousand times less pollution than an average motorcycle emits!)

www.fortworthview.com

#17 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Two pictures from this morning's sunrise. (From downtown FW)

Tale of Two Cities. ( or 4)

Handley Power Plant on Lake Arlington

www.fortworthview.com

#18 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:05 AM

Never saw anyone decorate this for Halloween! Oakwood Cemetary.

#19 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

Two photos from this morning. First is just a pretty Sundance Square shot showing some Fall color. Second is just before sunrise. I find it curious how the left (north) side of the DR Horton Building (Bass Building) is illuminated by the sun (rising in the Winter South). It seems it must be reflected off of another building but I still don't get it. Just another puzzle in my confusing day.

www.fortworthview.com

#20 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

Light bends a small angle around sharp object corners.

I have the same issue when taking images in a room where one window becomes the prime light source. Natural light entering through the window naturally bends around and illuminates the window jambs. Never can get a nice crisp edge. You would think the window jamb would be in shadow.

Angle of incidence is = to the angle of reflection back to the camera lens. The sun rise extends farther to the right beyond the right image edge.

Maybe apply the same thought pattern to the sunrise lighting spilling around building edge.
http://van.physics.u...ing.php?id=1883

http://scienceworld....Reflection.html

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#21 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

Let's go from a fantastic dusk photo by monee9696 to a sidewalk shot from Houston & 9th. Considering the failures of the 1980s and currently, you can add your own commentary.

#22 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

Seeing this at this time of year makes me think that Mr. Potter from "It's a Wonderful Life" is going to come in and take over.
Mike

#23 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:57 AM

I am guessing that after the economic crisis settles out, $10,000. is all the FDIC will be able to afford.
(I think new limits mostly went from 100k to 250k)

I have sure never noticed that design in the sidewalk...
www.fortworthview.com

#24 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:14 AM

looks like the FDIC is not locked in concrete, etched in stone... what others ?

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#25 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Urban Planning, Conservation, Sustainability, Transit-oriented-Development, Historic Preservation.<br /><br />Hiking, camping, reading, BBQing, photography, traveling

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Dec 6 2008, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am guessing that after the economic crisis settles out, $10,000. is all the FDIC will be able to afford.
(I think new limits mostly went from 100k to 250k)

I have sure never noticed that design in the sidewalk...

It's in front of the (vacant, and for sale) Moncrieff bank building on the NE corner of that block, if memory serves me.

#26 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:42 PM

Tattoo joint? Could be vacant. Maybe just owned by the guy that owns the tattoo place. I sure do like this little building on W. 7th Street, just East of Montgomery Plaza. Glass bricks is a big reason why. They sure are (Were?) great.
I am guessing they are more secure (Security wise) than a regular window, but I don't know that.

You have to wonder if that plywood sign area near the roof is empty because the City will not allow a sign there or it is just under transition?

www.fortworthview.com

#27 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Urban Planning, Conservation, Sustainability, Transit-oriented-Development, Historic Preservation.<br /><br />Hiking, camping, reading, BBQing, photography, traveling

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Dec 7 2008, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have to wonder if that plywood sign area near the roof is empty because the City will not allow a sign there or it is just under transition?

City would have required the plywood, but only if it were a broken window that needs to be covered. If it were a sign they wouldn't need to cover it with plywood.

#28 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:29 AM

That building was a part of what was to be another Ken Schaumburg development - the paint job was part of it, I think, but I could be wrong about that. Ken intended to turn the assemblage of buildings into a Miami-esque nightclub spot with palm trees, neon, etc. As you can see, that project fell through.

--

Kara B.

#29 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

Just before Sunrise Sunday morning. As I was out mooning. (Taking pictures of the Moon)

www.fortworthview.com

#30 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

I thought it was snowing at I30 and Loop 820E but the white stuff is bagged insulation. I would have liked to have caught the shot of this truck falling off that icy, elevated ramp!

#31 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

When I took a photo of that building last summer and posted it on my Flickr page, there was a sign in front that said Black Dog Tavern.

Black Dog Tavern

#32 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:18 PM

The last remaining fog this Friday morning. (Trinity North of Town)

www.fortworthview.com

#33 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:52 PM

I always wondered where the fog goes to when its gone for the day. Low river bottom areas.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#34 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

Early morning walk to Walgreen's for cold medicine. Wife wanted three cold products. They would let me have two as to keep me from starting a methamphetamine lab. Cripes.

I have three pictures for your review. Two of the YMCA and one of the YWCA. Great buildings. I like the YWCA more as is seems less altered from its original.

YMCA

YMCA up high. I wonder if I am looking at 1924 bricks next to 1985 bricks. (For extensive remodel.)

YWCA Building

www.fortworthview.com

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

Monee, you are looking at two different types and colors of 1924 brick. The brick on the walls that face 5th and Lamar Streets is a face brick that is used for exterior walls and is used as a finished product. The west wall and those facing into the light wells are a cheaper brick called "common brick". These types of bricks are used in the interior portion of the wall, along party walls, and facing into light wells and upper floor courts where the look of the final product is not as important. The original building of the YMCA reads fairly well. It is the section along the southeast 1/4 of the block. The racquetball court addition on the west side of the building is lower in height, set back from 5th Street, less ornamented, and is missing the cast stone base found on the original. The 1985 addition, to the north of the original building, reads as a more modern structure with large windows and more areas of blank walls.

#36 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

Took some photos of downtown Fort Worth on Christmas Day:

#37 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

Very nice set of pics ramjet!

Favorites? #7 (Carter Burgess)and #10. (Electric Building.) I really love this last shot. You can't beat having reflections of other buildings windows on your subject building. I also like that "Wall of Barnett tower" in the background.

On a side-note, WT Wagoner Building. Am always surprised that the windows are so sparse on the North Side. As that is such an old building (1919 I think) there must not have been a really tall building on its north side negating any need for windows. I guess it was just cost savings. North windows are never smart in Texas as the sun only come in them in the summer. Maybe it was just being green. (Comfortable, more likely.) Grand building, yes. For 1919, absolutely stunning. I sure always wish I could get in some of these classics. (Besides getting a part time job at XTO)
www.fortworthview.com

#38 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

Monee, it is "Form Follows Function" as the reason for the lack of windows on the north side. There was never a tall building located next to the W.T. Waggoner, but the north side was the only wall of the building not located next to a public right-of-way. The east and south sides faced Houston and 8th Streets, respectively. The west side faced an alley. Therefore, these sides could easily have windows. Since the light well faced south, the only place the building core could have been located was along the north wall. Since the building's core has elevators, stairs, and restrooms, there was no real need to place many windows on the north facade. If a skyscraper was ever constructed on the adjacent property to the north, there was always the possibility that building's wall could be constructed right next to the W.T. Waggoner. If the W.T. Waggoner building were constructed today, under current building codes, there wouldn't be a single window or opening along that wall.

#39 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jan 4 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the W.T. Waggoner building were constructed today, under current building codes, there wouldn't be a single window or opening along that wall.

Interesting. This implies to me that a glass tower cannot be built in downtown FW without it taking at least half a block. Of course, there are other reasons why a glass tower wants a bigger footprint, but it's interesting to me that it can't legally be done without some sort of waiver.

#40 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:27 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you can't have windows if the building is on the property (or perhaps a build-to) line. If it's set back far enough, it can still have windows. That's why the Carnegie doesn't have windows at the corners on its rear facade, but it does have them in its deeper set-back central portion.

--

Kara B.

#41 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

Hmmm. So many questions directed to various other posters et al.

First, I am definitely no architect, so keep it simple please.

Why would a/the city require no windows if the building was built to the property line?

Robert, I may not be able to wrap my head around your explanation since i can't be there to walk the area and put it into perspective, but would you please try again on your explanaton of the north wall/core etc.

I get the idea of the building core housing the utilities/elevators etc. I even get that the east side and south side face streets and the west side faces an alley (why would anybody want windows looking over an alley, she asked facetiously). Not being there I am guessing the building in question takes part of the block, and there is an area where another building could be built north of /and next too (sharing a wall?). Are ya'll saying that for the entire life of the building there has been no structure to the north, and the building was built without windows on "spec" in case another building came along?

What is a light well?

If the W.T. Waggoner building were constructed today, under current building codes, there wouldn't be a single window or opening along that wall.

Why would building codes prohibit windows along the north wall....is that in reference again to the possibility of another building adjacent to the wall?

Interesting. This implies to me that a glass tower cannot be built in downtown FW without it taking at least half a block. Of course, there are other reasons why a glass tower wants a bigger footprint, but it's interesting to me that it can't legally be done without some sort of waiver.

Could ya'll explain this to me, please? There seem to be so many glass buildings in Fort Worth now, does this mean that all of them had to have a waiver? and what reasoning would be used to get approval for the waiver instead of choosing another design for the building? Is glass a cheaper commodity now, than steel concrete or what ever other building material is used?

Oh, and which building is the Carnegie (sp?) I thought the old library that would have been a benefactor of that largess was torn down long ago?

Thanks,

GenE

p.s. I love all the pictures, but this thread is almost a year old, and takes a long time to load. Could we move the posts from this year to a thread called Random Photos 2009 and rename the old thread Random Photos 2008?

gbs

#42 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

I hope that I don't muddy the waters here and make things more unclear by answering the questions.

First of all, there was a three story building next door to the W.T. Waggoner on the north side that was constructed before the Waggoner Building. You can see evidence of this building on the W.T.'s north wall. Something happend to this building where it was later reduced to only one story. It was recently removed by XTO and you can see the evidence of the one story remainder being there below the upper wall line, also on the north wall.

These buildings and early skyscrapers were constructed before the invention of air conditioning and modern day lighting. Therefore, in order for the occupants to stay somewhat less hot, and be able to see their work. All buildings had to provide light and air to each office. This was achieved by small floor plates and floor plans of the skyscraper portions being shaped like a "C", "L", "J", "U", or an "E" if the floor plate was large enough. To make the principal facades of the buildings more impressive, the architects usually turned the wings of the building away from the street. The areas between the wings of the buildings were called light wells because they allowed light and air into all offices. This also explains why alley facades had windows. If you have ever walked into an original corridor in these buildings, you would find the corridors had operable transoms above the doors and sometimes borrowed lights (windows). These allowed the air and the light from the windows in the offices to even enter the corridors and to provide cross-ventilation through the building.

The building code actually doesn't deny windows on a property line. The allowance for openings in a structure's wall relate to the distance between two different buildings and to the fire rating requirement of that exterior wall. If a building faces a street and its wall is on the property line, then there won't be another building constructed immediately next to it; therefore, the fire rating of the exterior wall is reduced. With this reduction windows are permitted. When another building can be constructed closer, or your new building is closer than a certain distance to an existing one, then the requirements for the wall ratings are increased, depending on the distance. This increase starts to reduce the size of the windows and can dictate the type of glass (fire rated or wire glass). If two buildings can be constructed right next to each other, then that requires the highest rated wall between them. They can even be on the same property, and sometimes this comes into play with additions to buildings that have exceeded the allowable floor area for that building type. I am way oversimplifying the building code here, so there can be many variations of this. There are also ways of making this issue go away, including removing the property line by replatting, and I think the W.T. Waggoner block has been replatted into one lot. This also eliminated the alley. Therefore, my previous statement about the W.T. could be untrue if the building were constructed on the block platted as one lot. That block was originally platted with individual 25' x 95' lots facing Houston and Throckmorton Streets with an alley down the middle. Now, if the building was constructed in the corner of the site where the lot and block were the same with windows on all four sides, a new building would have to be constructed either without windows facing the W.T. Waggoner, or it would have to be placed a specified distance away to allow openings in those walls.

The building code is a very complicated book and I'm trying my best to explain it in laymen's terms. The reason for all of these rules in the building code is to keep fire from spreading from building to building and from roof to building. If you think about it, it even makes a lot of sense.

The current glass towers were built without variances relating to their glass walls, as far as I know. Due to demands by tenants for large floor plates, these buildings basically take up one entire block. When a building is this large, then the wall ratings for the exterior wall have been removed and the exteriors can be all glass. In other words, the nearest an adjacent building can be when a building takes up one block is 60 feet. At 60 feet, the exterior walls are not required to be rated and the amount of glass is not limited. Please note: The type of building construction also plays a factor in this determination.

I will separate the photos later this week.

#43 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jan 6 2009, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks John, you explanation was great, and as much as I appreciated it, I have to say that you probably could have
saved yourself a lot of typing if you had just mentioned the windows/fire connection. Sometimes I just need to be hit over
the head with the logic of a situation.

Last question. I am sure that codes will vary from city to city, but it sounds like the logic of architecture will be the same from
city to city. If I am correct in that assumption (this is where the question generates a simple yes/no answer) then I could use
what I learned from you, to explore Austin this weekend, weather permitting, and get more of an appreciation for the buildings here.

And sorry for referring to you as Robert instead of John. (grin)

GenE

#44 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (GenE @ Jan 7 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jan 6 2009, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last question. I am sure that codes will vary from city to city, but it sounds like the logic of architecture will be the same from
city to city. If I am correct in that assumption (this is where the question generates a simple yes/no answer) then I could use
what I learned from you, to explore Austin this weekend, weather permitting, and get more of an appreciation for the buildings here.

I think the logic you speak of is derived from building codes (i.e. construction science), and not necessarily architecture. I would be willing to bet that architects would very much like to have windows installed on facades that are built up to the building line.

#45 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

A few photos taken this evening on my weekly walk to Walgreen's for milk and eggs.

Barnett building. The big beast of Fort Worth. Sucking up the setting sun.

I like this building very much. (Texas and Florence Street) I always want to buy it and do something nice with it. It has a great view of the city. It is a classic design with plenty of nice touches like glass block windows, plenty of rock work etc...

Now the problem with this same building... It is totally trashed out on the inside. Talk about underutilized. I think it is vacant. But take a look at these decorating touches. Curtains? Nasty rags. Really, really bad. If I owned property on that street I would be screaming. (I guess I am currently screaming.)

I guess having a trashed out interior is not a municipal violating because here is its neighbor on Texas Street, separated by only one building.

www.fortworthview.com

#46 McHand

McHand

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Interests:music, neighborhoods, kids, education, biking, politics, urbanism, food, friends, family

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Jan 25 2009, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few photos taken this evening on my weekly walk to Walgreen's for milk and eggs.

Barnett building. The big beast of Fort Worth. Sucking up the setting sun.

Beautiful picture, but isn't this Burnett Plaza? I humbly apologize if I am wrong.

I like this building very much. (Texas and Florence Street) I always want to buy it and do something nice with it. It has a great view of the city. It is a classic design with plenty of nice touches like glass block windows, plenty of rock work etc...
Now the problem with this same building... It is totally trashed out on the inside. Talk about underutilized. I think it is vacant. But take a look at these decorating touches. Curtains? Nasty rags. Really, really bad. If I owned property on that street I would be screaming. (I guess I am currently screaming.)

I know how you feel. This is a fabulous building. Looks like it could have ground-floor retail. There is a serious lack of urban retail space in this city, IMO. It is a shame what's going on on the inside.

I guess having a trashed out interior is not a municipal violating because here is its neighbor on Texas Street, separated by only one building.

rotflmao.gif They'll get around to it someday...

Voice & Guitars in Big Heaven
Elementary Music Specialist, FWISD

Texas Wesleyan 2015
Shaw-Clarke NA Alumna

#47 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

You are correct AVVY. It is Burnett Plaza. Barnett?... I think it is because they are drilling grandma's 8th gas well today in Arlington (Barnett shale) my mind is getting ahead of itself. laugh.gif
www.fortworthview.com

#48 stgo2019

stgo2019

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

This is the front of the old PD service center. From what I understand it was originally a bowling alley. I've been all through it and, yes, it's pretty trashed.

#49 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:33 AM

Was going to sneak this foto into the Trinity Railway thread but figure it is more about the foto than the train.

I took this shoot this morning of the 7:03 leaving Fort Worth for Dallas. (I think it is 40% nurses heading for the Hospital district in Dallas.)
On Saturday I mentioned the old Montgomery Ward building (Tindall Storage) having new life and being lit up as XTO is working on the interior. I really like the looks of this building with a few lights on. I think my wife figured out why. She said it looked like a little Christmas snow village. Then I thought of this... I used to play with model trains (In a childhood "cheap" fashion) and I remember having a toy building next to my railroad tracks like this building. My toy building was not illuminated but wished it was. Well this one is...

www.fortworthview.com

#50 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

A shot from this evening. I just like the way the setting sun caught the edge of my lens. (10-22)

A little bit of the waxing moon above the building.

www.fortworthview.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users