7 replies to this topic

#1 BigBingFan

BigBingFan

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:07 AM

This interested me, as I believe it was "Fort Worth Memories" Facebook Group, in which this came to my attention. It might have been John T. Roberts who posted it, but the article said, (I paraphrase), that the Worth Theater, once either a part of the Worth Hotel bldg, or a stand alone---I can't remember, but that someone was scouting around there a while back, and found the integrity of the original Theater, the Worth Theater, was more or less intact, and that it was (wishful thinking) that a developer or rather a restorer, could come in, and re-make it into its' former glory--since Downtown Fort Worth is more or less the place to be, it would seem with more and more downtown residents, that this project could get some infusion of cash, with a mindset of rejuvenation or restoration.

What does anyone know of the present state of the old Worth Theater, maybe a photo or photos, and opinions galore on how we can re-create this into it's former opulence as an entertainment venue?  I think of the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, of someone stoking alot of cash into the Worth, and with photos of the historic place, might rebuild it into something grand again, for future generations who care about preserving Fort Worth's iconic landmarks. 

I wanted to start a discussion, so I hope this is okay---(I've only posted one other time, so I'm a newbie.........)

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:17 AM

I believe you're thinking of the Hollywood Theater:

http://www.fortworth...c=1411&p=100963

Projects like this take passion, patience, and deeper pockets than most people have.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:23 AM

Yes, it's the old Hollywood Theater.  The building is still standing and there is a potential for it to be restored.  JBB quoted the correct thread where the information is posted here on the forum.

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:56 PM

The photo doesn't show up.  It must be linked with a URL.  (website address)

#5 fortworthman

fortworthman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, History, Pop Culture, (esp. Fort Worth History), Texas History.

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:22 PM

The old Worth Theater 

Old-Worth-Theater-Fort-Worth-1-233x300.j

Forth Worth Man

thguru@earthlink.net

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:08 PM

The thread was labeled "Old Worth Theater".  The thread starter stated that someone had found the original theater still intact.  What they found was not the Worth Theater because it was demolished in 1972 to build the Fort Worth Club Tower.  The Worth Theater was built as a part of the Worth Hotel at 7th & Taylor Street.  The theater portion of the building was low rise and on the back of the site.  The hotel tower was 18 stories and it was built along 7th Street.  Below is a photograph of what replaced the Worth Hotel and Theater.

fwclubtower.jpg

The Hollywood Theater was one block to the west, and it is still partially intact.  The lower portion of the theater serves as parking for the Electric Building Apartments.  The upper levels are intact and are being marketed for lease.  I hope that I have clarified these comments.

#7 fortworthman

fortworthman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, History, Pop Culture, (esp. Fort Worth History), Texas History.

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:03 AM

Thank you very much for the information.  I was very interesting.

The Worth Theater was very nice and attractive in the auditorium  portion of the theater, where you saw the movies and the seating was located,  As I recalled,  it had beautiful multi-colored stain glass covering the ceiling lighting.  The wall lighting was designed to depict a night time evening glow of subdued blue lighting behind artificial Arabic buildings.  All lighting was on a variable control to make it brighter when the movie was not showing and lower lighting after the screen curtain opened up and the movie began.

Forth Worth Man

thguru@earthlink.net

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:26 AM

You're welcome.  Where this went astray was when the thread starter stated the Worth Theater was more or less intact.  Several of us corrected the starter to tell him that it was the Hollywood that was basically still there and the Worth was not.  I did attend one movie inside the Worth Theater before it was demolished.  Even when I was a kid, I was already interested in architecture and my mother took me to the big three movie houses on West 7th so I could see them.  I think that even in the 1960's, she knew they were not going to last long.  For the record, the Worth was demolished in 1972, the Palace in 1978, and the Hollywood is partially still there.  I never attended a movie inside the Majestic, as it was demolished in the 1960's to build the Convention Center. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users