• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:12 AM

I know this topic has been touched on in a few other threads, and I try not to start a new topic without being sure there is not duplication or crossover, but... 

I think this is going to be a developing and important issue in Arlington going forward, so here is a place to discuss it. First word goes to former A-Town mayor Richard Greene:

http://www.star-tele...e208063889.html

#2 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:12 AM

I'm curious as to what the experts think about this program? Seems like they still need some type of efficient, mass people mover between Arlington and Fort Worth, Dallas and DFW airport. Maybe they should partner with HEB, Grapevine, Soutlake and Mansfield for a solution since The T/Trinity Metro and Dart aren't viable.

#3 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:46 PM

The S-T article includes a link to a CBS News story: http://www.arlington...-via-rideshare/

Unfortunately, Kris Van Cleave failed to mention that Via doesn't provide rides to Fort Worth or Dallas.

Traveling from Arlington to Fort Worth or Dallas (or vice-versa) requires you to ride to a commuter rail station well north of the city.

Don't get me wrong, having only VIA is much better than having only the MAX (which did the same thing as above), but it's not a sufficient replacement for fixed-route buses within the city or an express transit route with direct service to Fort Worth and Dallas.

-Dylan

#4 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

I'm curious as to what the experts think about this program? Seems like they still need some type of efficient, mass people mover between Arlington and Fort Worth, Dallas and DFW airport. Maybe they should partner with HEB, Grapevine, Soutlake and Mansfield for a solution since The T/Trinity Metro and Dart aren't viable.

Why would joining Trinity Metro not be viable for eastern Tarrant County suburbs?

I'd rather see Trinity Metro serve all of these suburbs than see these suburbs create a new agency.

FWIW, Grapevine voters voted to partner with Trinity Metro for TEX Rail service.

-Dylan

#5 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:04 PM

Why would joining Trinity Metro not be viable for eastern Tarrant County suburbs?

I'd rather see Trinity Metro serve all of these suburbs than see these suburbs create a new agency.

FWIW, Grapevine voters voted to partner with Trinity Metro for TEX Rail service.

I think Trinity Metro IS viable and should serve all of the Fort Worth-Arlington Metro.

Obviously, the Arlington Political Machine thinks different. :closedeyes:

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

Via is evidently pulling about 170 riders a day. What does everyone think of those numbers? Do you think VIA is successful?

#7 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

The MAX had about 300 passengers a weekday during school months, and it was supposedly a "failure." And, it covered fewer areas than VIA does.

One problem VIA has: it doesn't accept train fares like MAX did. You pay $5 for a transit day pass (like you used to), but now you have to pay $6 a day for VIA rideshare in addition to a transit pass.

Another potential reason for such low ridership: there are no fixed routes and no fixed schedules. That may be a pro for some, but it's a con for people who like to plan ahead based on schedules.

---------

It's well past time for Arlington to get on board with fixed-route (and fixed-schedule) public transit.

-Dylan

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:39 PM

Already in Frisco, Arlington is adding 3 Drive.ai vans

http://www.fortworth...4ebc6d88eb.html

#9 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:36 PM

"...we plan to provide a last-mile transit solution..."

How so? What form of transit exists in Arlington for this to connect people to/from?

This is just another way for Arlington to claim they don't need real transit.

• JBB likes this

-Dylan

#10 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:37 PM

Lol! You forgot the first mile, Arlington!

#11 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:44 PM

In an incredibly weak defense of Arlington, that quote was from the Drive.ai VP and was probably part of some generic, boilerplate language for any installation.  That doesn't make it sound any less ridiculous.

#12 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:56 PM

Arlington will vote on a new sales tax this May, putting them at the state limit. 
https://www.star-tel...e239967443.html

Any hopes for Arlington to join Trinity Metro as a full contributing member will not be possible if this were to pass. 

https://legistarweb-..._Discussion.pdf

#13 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 02:10 AM

That is incredibly frustrating, but not surprising. I hope voters will reject it since it does not come with the promise of a shiny new stadium.

-Dylan

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 12:27 PM

As a public relations goes, Trinity Metro made a odd selection in rebranding itself as "Trinity".  At the time, the management argued that the name Trinity connected the communities of North Texas (mainly Collins, Dallas, Denton and Tarrant)  which was IMO some strange logic. Instead, the proper connection should always be the Tarrant Connection and focusing on the 800 sq miles county as its priority service area.

It seems inevitable that the communities within Tarrant County will need to plan for a transit network to eliminate duplication. 

I think it is vital that Trinity Metro requests an opportunity to present its case to the Arlington City Council of a vision for Greater Tarrant County.

#15 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:13 PM

Richard Greene wrote an op-ed earlier this week and it sings a far different tune from property tax relief and getting ahead of limits on future property tax rate increase limits (they might be the only city around with this advantage).  He's suggesting that the money will be used for economic development incentives.

https://www.star-tel...e240032078.html

#16 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 05:43 AM

KERA: Arlington's rideshare service Via hits milestones
June ridership totaled nearly 60,000, a record high.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users