• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Has anyone had success in getting names, etc off the recently launched 1940 Census? I am getting nothing legible both in Fort Worth and one other State.

#2 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

We have searched for my wife's mother in Wheeler County, Tx and have had success in reading names, just not finding her! We did find her mother's cousin though... Can't wait until they get an index put together - it would make things so much easier!
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#3 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

I haven't checked yet. I've found much of my family in the census records through 1930, including my grandparents just weeks before my dad was born, and my great grandma after great grandpa died (he apparently came to the U.S. after one census and died prior to the next one). My grandmother was with her, but she was listed as a daughter of the family my great grandma was boarding with after the death of her husband. I found what I assume is the family of her second husband just a block or so away (even though she moved 120 miles for her second marriage). Same surname, though. I can just imagine, "Hey, Mary, you should meet my cousin in Buffalo..."
My blog: Doohickie

#4 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Yes. I already had census records back into the late 1800's for my Grandparents. I did find in the 1940 census (they lived in the same place their entire life in central Louisiana) Found that my Grandfather was a foreman for the WPA and my Grandmother owned a cafe. I knew when I was a kid in the 50's she ran the school cafeteria, but did not know she ever owned a cafe. Same 200 acres they always had, but interesting to find out more about their neighbors that I knew as kids. I am fortunate that my late mothers Great Aunt did the Schwitzerlet side of the family geneology back in 1929 and can date it back to the 100 years war. My Greatgrandparents came over from Switzerland in 1870. The Elliott side of the family I have back to 1850.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users