• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:42 AM

What are some good "eateres" that have been around a long time?

#2 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

Angelo's on White Settlement Rd. Cattleman's Steak House on N. Main at Stockyards. Vance Godbey's near Lake Worth. Star Cafe on East Exchange near Stockyards.

#3 TonyW

TonyW

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (JOHNFINLEY @ Oct 12 2008, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another classic Fort Worth favorite is Joe T Garcias Comida Mexicana behind Eparanza's Panaderia 1 block east of north main near the stockyards. The other reply had some of the other classic FW favorited. I think Joe T's dates backe to bourt 1938. I have been eating there since the 1950's.

#4 LocalYokel

LocalYokel

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

The Paris Coffee shop at the intersection of Magnolia and Hemphill is still really good.

Massey's steak house on 8th avenue used to be famous for their chicken fried steaks, but I can't recommend it any more. We ate there last month and in addition to a general air of disrepair, the CFS was terrible - gravy was lumpy and the consistency of that white paste we used to use in kindergarten. Used to be one of my favorite places to eat but quality has been dropping over the last several years.

On Camp Bowie there is the Original Mexican food restaurant, it's been there since the 30's and still churning out great food.

Kincaids hamburgers, right off Camp Bowie. They make a pretty tasty burger and have been around a long time. They also opened a branch over on Hulen / Overton Ridge.

Mama's pizza, on Berry. Used to be one on Camp Bowie but last time we went there for lunch it had been closed.

Don't laugh, but one of my favorites is still Pancho's. Going there was a rare and huge treat when we were kids, and all these years later they still make some tasty food. You have to be a bit picky in your selections, but overall its still good eats for a fair price. Best reserved for those days when you are really really hungry laugh.gif

#5 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (LocalYokel @ Oct 12 2008, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Paris Coffee shop at the intersection of Magnolia and Hemphill is still really good.

Massey's steak house on 8th avenue used to be famous for their chicken fried steaks, but I can't recommend it any more. We ate there last month and in addition to a general air of disrepair, the CFS was terrible - gravy was lumpy and the consistency of that white paste we used to use in kindergarten. Used to be one of my favorite places to eat but quality has been dropping over the last several years.

On Camp Bowie there is the Original Mexican food restaurant, it's been there since the 30's and still churning out great food.

Kincaids hamburgers, right off Camp Bowie. They make a pretty tasty burger and have been around a long time. They also opened a branch over on Hulen / Overton Ridge.

Mama's pizza, on Berry. Used to be one on Camp Bowie but last time we went there for lunch it had been closed.

Don't laugh, but one of my favorites is still Pancho's. Going there was a rare and huge treat when we were kids, and all these years later they still make some tasty food. You have to be a bit picky in your selections, but overall its still good eats for a fair price. Best reserved for those days when you are really really hungry laugh.gif

Yeah, Massey's isn't really Massey's anymore. Charles Massey retired and it closed down for a few years. I heard the new owner use to run or manage the Arlington Steakhouse. At least the gravy's not yellow like at the Steakhouse (no offense, Steakhouse)

#6 learsfool

learsfool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:41 PM

Many people, including myself, feel that Angelo's is another place that is nowhere near as good as it used to be. I have tried it again a couple of times in the last few years and it has really gone downhill from where it was say 10 to 15 years ago. Does qualify as a big part of Fort Worth eatery history, though.

One place I hadn't seen mentioned yet that has been around forever is the Montgomery Street Cafe, which is open for breakfast and lunch.

#7 Janna

Janna

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

The Rig in South Ft. Worth has been around a long time but I haven't eaten there in 30 years! mellow.gif

#8 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (Janna @ Oct 12 2008, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Rig in South Ft. Worth has been around a long time but I haven't eaten there in 30 years! mellow.gif

That's another one of those places that I keep meaning to try out, but just haven't gotten around to! A friend told me that they must be doing something right, otherwise they wouldn't have stayed in business for 30 years. He's probably right. For the uninitiated, it's called "The Rig" because it's got a tall model of an oil derrick in the parking lot.

Even though Eidelweiss has been on the Traffic Circle since the early '70s, I only just this year ate at it for the first time a few months ago. I'd never had German food before. Nice atmosphere, but the food didn't agree with me.

Oh, yes -- Pancho's! My family always ate at the one at Old Grandbury Rd. and Loop 820 on Christmas Eve each year, then go drive around and look at all the Christmas lights. I still love the food, but I usually eat myself into a coma when I go there, so I stay away from it these days except for when I've got out-of-town guests.

#9 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

I haven't heard of Angelo's, Cattleman's, or Vance's. The other's I've heard of, but haven't tried. I should have asked for holes in the wall, but all of these are great suggestions. Thank you! I think Mama's Pizza opened back up around Camp Bowie, but perhaps not in the same location. I know it opened back up, but cant' remember if it was the CB location, or one nearby. I've always wanted to try Paris, but I get a craving for that on Sunday morning, but it's closed. As for Massey's, I've heard it has gone down hill, and I've never been there. I'm probably the most picky Chicken Fried Steak person anyone will ever meet, so I won't try that place. I've been to Arlington Steak house a few times and it's been either bad one time and great another. I hate to admit this, but the best consistant CFS I've ever had is at the original Black Eyed Pea on Cedar Springs in Dallas. Also, I've been to the Dixie House, and there's is pretty good too. However, I wanted to go out to Jubilee a while back, and it had closed. I'm talking about it's Weatherford location. On a side note, Norma's in Dallas has gone wayward like Massey's. Ate there yesterday....Steak had no flavor, batter was undercooked, and completely seperated form the meat from the first cut! Also, it had that "loose sock" effect. Anyway, back on track. I would like to try The Rig and Babes. I don't think Babes is all that old, but a fellow co-worker tells me I need to bee-line it to there!

#10 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Urban Planning, Conservation, Sustainability, Transit-oriented-Development, Historic Preservation.<br /><br />Hiking, camping, reading, BBQing, photography, traveling

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (hankjr @ Oct 12 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Angelo's on White Settlement Rd. Cattleman's Steak House on N. Main at Stockyards. Vance Godbey's near Lake Worth. Star Cafe on East Exchange near Stockyards.

While I do not think the BBQ is the best, Angelo's is a must-stop in Fort Worth. When you're through you can pop in to my favorite pub across the street - Conlon's!

Interesting side-note about Vance Godbey's. They are located in Lakeside, TX - a tiny little town that formed for the sole purpose of not wanting to be annexed by Fort Worth. They recently celebrated their 50th anniversary. The restaurant, from what I have been told, has had a shaky history and faced several near-closures. I remember taking my grandmother there when I was very young, during one of those supposed closures. VG was apparently all the rave to go to way back in the day.

#11 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE (JOHNFINLEY @ Oct 12 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm probably the most picky Chicken Fried Steak person anyone will ever meet, so I won't try that place.

If there's anything I'm really "good ole days syndrome" about it would have to be the lack of good CFS in Ft. Worth anymore. Yeah, I've been to Paris coffee shop & Dixie house and they're ok, but it seemed like there were so many more good CFS joints when I was a kid. Massey's (when it was Massey's), McCullogh's, C.A's in Hurst, The Richlieu, all the Griddle Diners. There is a Babe's in Burleson but it's kinda gimmicky with the no choice side dishes. I miss the old "Meat & Three" joints that use to be around. I did try Dusty's in River Oaks (McCulloghs) and it was good.

I'm sure awarness of CFS as "Diet of Death" hasn't helped my cause either...

#12 mattaken

mattaken

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Reading, the great outdoors, and the history of this, our fair city.

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:02 AM

One of the best CFS's I've had in this area was at Ginger Brown's on Lake Worth Blvd. in North Fort Worth. This was quite a few years ago, but at the time the food quality was outstanding. Great cinnamon rolls too.

Another favorite of my wife and me - West Side Cafe on W. Camp Bowie Blvd.

Both are places that have been around for years and have a home cooking kind of atmosphere.

One of my favorite established Mexican eateries in town is Benito's on W. Magnolia. To my understanding it's still run by the same family that opened it back in the mid 80's. Instead of the standard run-of-the-mill chips and salsa you get at most Mexican food places, they start you off with a great cup of tortilla soup. Mmmm.

#13 kksmith

kksmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:56 AM

Caro's on Bluebonnet Circle. "Home of the Puffy Tostados!" I remember going there 40 years ago, and the look, including the pictures on the wall, hasn't changed. Great Mexican food!

#14 Lonn Taylor

Lonn Taylor

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:History of the Southwest, Historic Preservation, Architecture and Decorative Arts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (kksmith @ Oct 15 2008, 05:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Caro's on Bluebonnet Circle. "Home of the Puffy Tostados!" I remember going there 40 years ago, and the look, including the pictures on the wall, hasn't changed. Great Mexican food!

I also wanted to mention Caro's on Bluebonnet Circle. Our family started going there in 1956, when we moved back to Fort Worth from the Philippine Islands. It was run by John Whitten, a bigger-than life character who sported a waxed handlebar moustache and would join you at your table and recite Robert Service's and Rudyard Kipling's poems. He had married Lou Caro, whose mother had started the original Caro's in Rio Grande City, Texas. Our favorite waiter was Tino Cavasos de Leon, a delightful man from Monterrey who many years later opened his own restaurant on Magnolia. John and Lou's daughter Sandy married one of the regular customers, Robert Vivion, and for a while they ran a second Caro's on a side street just off Camp Bowie. They later had Robert's on North University Drive, a great place for steaks and strong drinks.

I think the Caro's on Bluebonnet Circle is now owned by one of John and Lou's sons. I was in there about 5 years ago and the puffy tostados were still great, as was the arroz con pollo, one of their signature dishes.

Lonn Taylor
Fort Davis, Texas

#15 jenidallas

jenidallas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:A FW native who is happy to be back home finally!

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:58 PM

I think Mama's Pizza opened back up around Camp Bowie, but perhaps not in the same location. I know it opened back up, but cant' remember if it was the CB location, or one nearby.

It has... its in a shopping strip west of I-30 and on the north side of Camp Bowie. Its not the one with Szechuan and its not the one with Zekes... so the "other" strip mall. (Sorry if that's vague, but my locational knowledge is very relational!)

#16 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:59 PM

Cross that street to try Zekes'. It's been around since 1969 or so. Some of their side dishes seem pre-fab frozen ready-to-fry, but the last time we were there, the fish was still hand-battered, the okra cornmealed-in-place, and the corn fritters homemade. (And some of those prefab fried things--like stuffed jalapenos-- can taste pretty good when you're on a fried food binge.)

#17 BillyG

BillyG

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (mattaken @ Oct 15 2008, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the best CFS's I've had in this area was at Ginger Brown's on Lake Worth Blvd. in North Fort Worth. This was quite a few years ago, but at the time the food quality was outstanding. Great cinnamon rolls too.

Another favorite of my wife and me - West Side Cafe on W. Camp Bowie Blvd.

Both are places that have been around for years and have a home cooking kind of atmosphere.

One of my favorite established Mexican eateries in town is Benito's on W. Magnolia. To my understanding it's still run by the same family that opened it back in the mid 80's. Instead of the standard run-of-the-mill chips and salsa you get at most Mexican food places, they start you off with a great cup of tortilla soup. Mmmm.

Ginger Browns.. oh lord those cinnamon rolls were to die for. Can't have them now dang it.

There's a Mexican place on Riverside Drive by Six Points.. I believe the name is El Regio. Its got some authentic mexican food and LOTS of it. Its across Riverside from a 7-11 and Lisa's Fried Chicken, towards the rear of Riverside Baptist Church.

The beef is about the closest I've found to what I've had in Mexico. Get the beef with tortillas, it's awesome. They serve it with a guacamole sauce, pico de gallo, a cooked onion, a grilled jalapeño and a bowl of spiced pinto beans. It used to be a #3 on the menu but I think It's #2 now.. not sure.

Their hamburger is grilled with some grilled smoked ham on top of the beef patty.. it's HUGE.

#18 malibu65

malibu65

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (801hme @ Oct 13 2008, 05:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm probably the most picky Chicken Fried Steak person anyone will ever meet, so I won't try that place.

If there's anything I'm really "good ole days syndrome" about it would have to be the lack of good CFS in Ft. Worth anymore. Yeah, I've been to Paris coffee shop & Dixie house and they're ok, but it seemed like there were so many more good CFS joints when I was a kid. Massey's (when it was Massey's), McCullogh's, C.A's in Hurst, The Richlieu, all the Griddle Diners. There is a Babe's in Burleson but it's kinda gimmicky with the no choice side dishes. I miss the old "Meat & Three" joints that use to be around. I did try Dusty's in River Oaks (McCulloghs) and it was good.

Try "Lucilles" on camp bowie across from the "Orginal" for some good CFS. I believe its pan-fried but its pricey. CFS and fries taste like a place I used to eat at in the 70's on lancaster called the "Driftwood".

#19 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:33 PM

[/quote]
Try "Lucilles" on camp bowie across from the "Orginal" for some good CFS. I believe its pan-fried but its pricey. CFS and fries taste like a place I used to eat at in the 70's on lancaster called the "Driftwood".
[/quote]

I agree, Lucilles CFS is incredible and worth the price. I love that place. Everytime I go I wonder why I don't eat there exclusively.

#20 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (malibu65 @ Oct 18 2008, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THE DRIFTWOOD!!! Now you're in my neighborhood...I hadn't thought about the Driftwood in years....Thank you for the memory!

#21 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything.

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:40 PM

I have not been there in several years, but Galleries Bar-B-Que on Pennsylvania and South Main has been around a long time. My good friend Dennis C. opened it in the 60's and it was a trendy place to eat and view the work of local artists. Many known painters had thier first exhibitions at his place. The food was great and the Harris Hospital district kept the place jumping. Like I said, Since moving away I have not been there....I hope it's still there and is still busy.

#22 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

Um... Fred's?

#23 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (sonny 2 @ Oct 19 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have not been there in several years, but Galleries Bar-B-Que on Pennsylvania and South Main has been around a long time. My good friend Dennis C. opened it in the 60's and it was a trendy place to eat and view the work of local artists. Many known painters had thier first exhibitions at his place. The food was great and the Harris Hospital district kept the place jumping. Like I said, Since moving away I have not been there....I hope it's still there and is still busy.

I ate there many times and the food was good but it was torn down years ago.

#24 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:58 PM

Too bad. I had hoped to go back soon.....wouldn't I have been surprised!

#25 learsfool

learsfool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:59 AM

I thought of another one of my wife's old favorites, though it is in Arlington - the Candlelight Inn, on Division, I think. Very quirky little place indeed, usually packed. Never thought the food was particularly good, but it certainly qualifies as "local color."

#26 McHand

McHand

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Interests:music, neighborhoods, kids, education, biking, politics, urbanism, food, friends, family

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (801hme @ Oct 13 2008, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a Babe's in Burleson but it's kinda gimmicky with the no choice side dishes. I miss the old "Meat & Three" joints that use to be around.

Agreed on Babe's. Good meat but the sides are crap (sorry, but they are!).

A Mexican place that's been open a long time is Don Felipes on Vickery. Standard rice n beans fare but good tortillas.

Voice & Guitars in Big Heaven
Elementary Music Specialist, FWISD

Texas Wesleyan 2015
Shaw-Clarke NA Alumna

#27 malibu65

malibu65

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (801hme @ Oct 19 2008, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (malibu65 @ Oct 18 2008, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you ever eat at the "Four Seasons" or "Carnation" on lancaster back in there days. They had good CFS.

THE DRIFTWOOD!!! Now you're in my neighborhood...I hadn't thought about the Driftwood in years....Thank you for the memory!

#28 malibu65

malibu65

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

Anybody ever dine at the "Neighborhood Grill" on park place off 8th avenue. Used to be "Rick's Lockerroom". Never ate there. But if its as good as "ricks" was with the great hamburgers and onion rings I will be going.
A place at 8th and rosedale I haven't ate at in ages. Used to be called "Graves" then "Yellow Rose". Don't know what its called now. Had great CFS, plate lunches.

#29 txrdside

txrdside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Photography for around 46 years. Love to travel Route 66.

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (malibu65 @ Oct 20 2008, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody ever dine at the "Neighborhood Grill" on park place off 8th avenue. Used to be "Rick's Lockerroom". Never ate there. But if its as good as "ricks" was with the great hamburgers and onion rings I will be going.
A place at 8th and rosedale I haven't ate at in ages. Used to be called "Graves" then "Yellow Rose". Don't know what its called now. Had great CFS, plate lunches.

Have eaten Breakfast at The Neighborhood Grill, very good. Back in the early 50's, I would eat at "Graves" nearly every night with my Dad and brothers while my Mom worked night shift at Convair. Loved the open faced roast beef sandwitch with gravy. Yum.
"The best investment in life is memories"
www.tchj.com

#30 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (Birdland in Handley @ Oct 16 2008, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cross that street to try Zekes'. It's been around since 1969 or so. Some of their side dishes seem pre-fab frozen ready-to-fry, but the last time we were there, the fish was still hand-battered, the okra cornmealed-in-place, and the corn fritters homemade. (And some of those prefab fried things--like stuffed jalapenos-- can taste pretty good when you're on a fried food binge.)

SECOND THAT on ZEKE'S. Enjoyed their cod fillets, sides and their OLD SCHOOL RETRO ARCADE GAMES. Nice flaky crunchy friedness, oh so good.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#31 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

I like "The Original" Mexican restaurant on Camp Bowie. Pretty decent food, usually a nice quiet atmosphere.

Edelweiss... frown.gif The atmosphere is dark and dirty, and the food (according to my friend from Germany) isn't very authentic. Personally I thought it was overpriced for the quality. I want to try Zur Autobahn in Cranfills Gap, but haven't made it down there yet.

#32 mnmassie

mnmassie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

I love La Familia. Family owned and operated. Not sure how long it's been around, but it's been a while.

#33 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:14 AM

Is that the Rosebud Cafe? I've always wanted to try it but never got around to it.

#34 malibu65

malibu65

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (801hme @ Oct 22 2008, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that the Rosebud Cafe? I've always wanted to try it but never got around to it.

Yeah, thats it. Like I said I haven't ate there in years. So I don't know if its still good or not. Used to eat there with my wife all the time when she worked in the hospital district.

#35 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

Oh gosh!

Has anyone mentioned Carshons? All of their sandwiches are to die for... the Rebecca, the Rachel, etc., and their egg salad is grreat too. That and they have an excellent dessert lady if you like pie. You will see the same faces there time after time.

I haven't been there in years so a bit hard to vouch for it now, but the Montgomery Cafe on Montgomery Street used to serve one of the very best and biggest chicken-fried steaks, not the typical frozen jobs off the Sysco truck.

Zekes for sure, as already mentioned. Get the fried cod or a fish sandwich. Their fried okra and eggplant is a must. I think their fried fish is the best around.

Candlelite Inn in Arlington just south of where the new Cowboys stadium is being built on Division... try the 3 Beef tacos with guacamole and cheese, or there little steak specials with either beans and rice, or spaghetti, or a baked potato.

David's BBQ on Park Row in Arlington, part of the Sonny/Red Bryans legacy, has the best ribs, beef BBQ, etc. I think.

You know, just for ease getting a table and really consistent food, we now often dine at Charlston's off of Hulen... I actually like their meals as much as Salt Grass or Outback. It is certainly not steeped in Fort Worth tradition, but very good.

One last note... there used to be a hamburger joint on Vickery near Forest Park Blvd. named "Candlelite" as I recall and they served really fabulous greasy cheeseburgers and hamburgers. It has long since been torn down but the trick there was to go pick up the order and see if you could make it back to the office before the bottom of the sack fell away from grease saturation. Ha!

Brad

#36 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (Bradleto @ Oct 22 2008, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One last note... there used to be a hamburger joint on Vickery near Forest Park Blvd. named "Candlelite" as I recall and they served really fabulous greasy cheeseburgers and hamburgers. It has long since been torn down but the trick there was to go pick up the order and see if you could make it back to the office before the bottom of the sack fell away from grease saturation. Ha!

Brad

That reminded me of another burger joint that's been around forever, the Good Luck on Rosedale. To me it's the same as it always was. The one off E. Lancaster and Edgewood was the one we frequented when I was a kid. Good burgers...

#37 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

What ever happened to Littlejohns' Bar-B-Que on Lancaster just East of I-35W? Absolutely the best and the greasiest Bar-B-Que in town. Because Littlejohn sliced all the meat himself, there was always a line in his place, but nobody cared...it was worth waiting for. I'll bet not many people will remember this place...it was a long time ago.

#38 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:40 PM

Pardon me....it was on ROSEDALE, just east of I-35W.

#39 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (malibu65 @ Oct 22 2008, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, thats it. Like I said I haven't ate there in years. So I don't know if its still good or not. Used to eat there with my wife all the time when she worked in the hospital district.

Ate there about 3 years ago. Very good value priced b-fast menu. Eggs your way and has that homestyle atmosphere. Will do good in these "uncertain" times for many. Great location too.

COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#40 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Lonn Taylor @ Oct 15 2008, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (kksmith @ Oct 15 2008, 05:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also wanted to mention Caro's on Bluebonnet Circle. Our family started going there in 1956, when we moved back to Fort Worth from the Philippine Islands. It was run by John Whitten, a bigger-than life character who sported a waxed handlebar moustache and would join you at your table and recite Robert Service's and Rudyard Kipling's poems. He had married Lou Caro, whose mother had started the original Caro's in Rio Grande City, Texas. Our favorite waiter was Tino Cavasos de Leon, a delightful man from Monterrey who many years later opened his own restaurant on Magnolia. John and Lou's daughter Sandy married one of the regular customers, Robert Vivion, and for a while they ran a second Caro's on a side street just off Camp Bowie. They later had Robert's on North University Drive, a great place for steaks and strong drinks.

I think the Caro's on Bluebonnet Circle is now owned by one of John and Lou's sons. I was in there about 5 years ago and the puffy tostados were still great, as was the arroz con pollo, one of their signature dishes.

Lonn Taylor
Fort Davis, Texas

Lonn.....thats 3 things we have in common : A history with Caro's on the Bluebonnet Circle, Being Seniors at Paschal HS. in '57, and living in the Philippines. I lived in Cebu for a few months before moving to Cagayan de Oro on the Island of Mindanao. I even met my second wife in CDO in the '80's and we are happily still together and have 2 grown children.

#41 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:20 AM

QUOTE (sonny 2 @ Oct 22 2008, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What ever happened to Littlejohns' Bar-B-Que on Lancaster just East of I-35W? Absolutely the best and the greasiest Bar-B-Que in town. Because Littlejohn sliced all the meat himself, there was always a line in his place, but nobody cared...it was worth waiting for. I'll bet not many people will remember this place...it was a long time ago.
Wasn't that in an old KFC building? I never went there but remember seeing it.

I remember another Littlejohn's BBQ that was off East Lancaster just east of 820. It was in an old house and had sawdust on the floor. It was across from Red Rooster Lumber on a side street. Seems like this was "Little John's". I'd always heard he was some kinda straw boss with the "Skull Munchers" motorcycle bunch, though probably not from the most reliable sources. I do remember eating there with my family as a kid. This would've been in the 70's.

#42 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

Wes Graves opened his first cafe on the South side of Magnolia, between 7th Ave and Fairmont Street in the early '50's. He was there for years, but then moved to the Rosedale and 8th Ave location for reasons I am unaware of. I ate many meals at the Magnolia location not only for the food, but he had the cutest little blonde waitress working there that kept me coming back.

#43 travelbear

travelbear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

QUESTION......For some reason I remember the old Galleries BBQ at Hemphill / Pennsylvania being know at the Mongolian Gallery BBQ in the 70's. Can any old timers confirm that? I've got a $20 bet riding on this with my better half. Thanks in advance for any help.

#44 Sailor

Sailor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

Carshon's, Sandwiches and Pies - good take out wine selection.

#45 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (Sailor @ Jul 1 2009, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Carshon's, Sandwiches and Pies - good take out wine selection.

Thats my favorite for a hot pastrami sandwich.

#46 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

Tried the Los Vaqueros Mexican Restaurant on W. Berry, about 2 blocks East of University, and it was just as good as the one on N. Main - except smaller and not quite the atmosphere. The menu and prices are the same -which are very reasonable. The good thing about neighborhood restaurants is the shorter drive home after a few drinks.

#47 McHand

McHand

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Interests:music, neighborhoods, kids, education, biking, politics, urbanism, food, friends, family

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:34 PM

Papaw, thanx for the tip on Los Vaqueros. wink.gif I see it all the time on the way to mr. hand's work. It's pretty close and I love some tex-mex, so I am going to give it a try.

Voice & Guitars in Big Heaven
Elementary Music Specialist, FWISD

Texas Wesleyan 2015
Shaw-Clarke NA Alumna

#48 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE (mnmassie @ Oct 21 2008, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love La Familia. Family owned and operated. Not sure how long it's been around, but it's been a while.

Sorry to say that La Familia is no longer there.
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#49 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:07 AM

Hernandez's on 25th street in North Side has the best menudo in Fort Worth.
Tres Betos Hamburgers is great if you are ever in Diamond Hill on the North Side.
Tres Betos also has a Mexican Restaurant located in the same complex.
I'm dieing for a good chicken fried steak so if you know the best please pass along the info
Blue Bonnet Cafe on Haltom Road and Belknap in Haltom City has good breakfast.

ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#50 mnmassie

mnmassie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE (FortWorthLowrider @ Aug 11 2009, 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mnmassie @ Oct 21 2008, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to say that La Familia is no longer there.

Oh no!!!!! When did this happen???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users