#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

Even though specific construction projects along the trail system have been discussed over in "Professional Sports and Recreational Activities", so much is going on with the Trinity Trail System, I thought it was time for it to have a thread within the "Public and Institutional" Forum. Bridges along the trail system already have their own threads. Please use this thread to discuss the trail itself, expansion of the trail system, and specific construction and repairs along the trail.

#2 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for starting a new thread on this. I really wish there was a real time updated map showing all the construction currently underway with projected start/finish dates as well as details on bypasses. Some are better than others. If you're a runner, most of these are no problem. Mountain bike - usually not a problem either unless it has been wet. Road bike- sometimes big problems!

#3 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

I created a google map and added a few of the trail construction areas that I know about. If people think this is valuable, I might add some more collaborators on the map so we can cover the whole trail and keep the info updated. If this info is already readily accessible I don't want to be duplicating efforts!

Make sure you turn on "bicycle trails" if that layer isn't already turned on.

http://tinyurl.com/759z5ln

#4 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

I need to take a picture of this construction site of some sorts, but have anyone notice beams going up on the other side of the mainly used trinity trails. It is right before the train track bridge (if that make sense) on the south end of it. It looks like it's being built over the miniature tunnel across the way. I know my description is a bit sketchy but anyway, if you know please share.. :)

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Ron4Life, could you give a more specific location? Please give a location between two streets that cross over the river. There is a lot of construction along the Trinity Trails right now.

#6 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

Ron4Life, could you give a more specific location? Please give a location between two streets that cross over the river. There is a lot of construction along the Trinity Trails right now.

Hmm... let's see. From the Lancaster bridge head south on the trail, you will come to a train bridge and just south of that you will see the mini construction work being done across the way, if that's what it is. Hope that helped :-)

#7 Hometown by Handlebar

Hometown by Handlebar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:bicycling, history, architecture

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

I created a google map and added a few of the trail construction areas that I know about. If people think this is valuable, I might add some more collaborators on the map so we can cover the whole trail and keep the info updated. If this info is already readily accessible I don't want to be duplicating efforts!

Make sure you turn on "bicycle trails" if that layer isn't already turned on.

http://tinyurl.com/759z5ln

Thanks for providing that public service. I hate surprises far from home, and that stretch is my gateway to the trails.

#8 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hmm... let's see. From the Lancaster bridge head south on the trail, you will come to a train bridge and just south of that you will see the mini construction work being done across the way, if that's what it is. Hope that helped :-)

I think what you are seeing on the easy side of the river (opposite from the trail) is construction related to the new Chisholm Trail Tollroad. The Tollroad terminates just east of the river in an interchange with I-30. So there has been a lot of construction in that area.

http://tinyurl.com/74fy2op

#9 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for providing that public service. I hate surprises far from home, and that stretch is my gateway to the trails.

I created that sample map several months ago but got zero feedback from the forum on it, so I haven't updated it since then. The trails have gotten even worse since that time with several very dangerous (and frankly unnecessary) interruptions of the paved trail west of Hulen. Between the dangers created by the trail construction as well as debris being washed onto the trail due to the frequent rains we have been blessed with lately, the Trinity Trails are becoming a pretty hazarous place to ride. Sounds like the Mayor found an erosion rut with her bike that caused her crash.

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

Maybe she will use her influence to get some of those bad sections fixed. I'm not riding the trail very much right now and I agree with you that it has become worse between Hulen and Bryant Irvin over the last few weeks. Last weekend was my first time out there in a while, and I was warned ahead of time.

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

I rode the trail to Gateway Park yesterday and the section from the TRE Bridge to the Bertha Collins Community Center is being rebuilt in concrete. There are several different trail closures, but they have re-routed you along the unpaved section of the trail as an alternative. Also, the trail in Gateway Park is closed due to riverbank erosion. They are working on moving the trail further away from the river in a few locations. There are trail alternative routes posted in the park.

#12 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

Yesterday (Saturday morning) the was a herd of Longhorn cattle left under the Main Street bridge. I am sure it was some big planned event that I am not aware of. (They were fenced in by temp. fences and had water etc...)

Also, I am experimenting here, on posting photos directly from FLICKR. I have been posting from PHOTOBUCKET for a few years because FLICKR made it impossible to post from. As I still upload to FLICKR, I thought I would see if things changed. They may have. I can grab a link and post. It is a huge link. Excessively huge. But I think it works. Here.

This is good news. Now I am going to experiment a bit on copying shorter code. This one is 5 long lines.

Posted Image
Longhorn 2 by Brian Luenser, on Flickr
www.fortworthview.com

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

I really like how the arch of the bridge frames the picture. Brian, that is another very well done photo.

#14 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

I am way bumbed out about going to work tomorrow... Have sure enjoyed the trails.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

I love the fall colors.

#16 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:43 AM

City council agenda item, to approve a donation from Tarrant Regional Water District:

TRWD is generously donating eight 2017 KTM Model 350-EXC-F dual sport motorcycles valued in the amount of $78,352.00.  The donation also includes the cost of outfitting the motorcycles at a value of $16,844.64.  These motorcycles will allow motor officers to patrol areas not normally accessible by police vehicles, to include the 89 plus miles of trails along the Trinity River and the 250 plus miles of trails throughout Fort Worth.  This will enhance the City of Fort Worth Police Department's ability to serve and protect the citizens of Fort Worth with professionalism and efficiency.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:58 AM

Not sure how I feel about motorcycles patrolling the Trinity Trails.  The noise pollution will suck.  And if they actually respond to emergencies like they do on city streets, someone's gonna get killed by a motorcycle flying down the trail at 60 mph.

My blog: Doohickie

#18 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:56 PM

I don't like the idea, either.  Why don't they patrol on the Trails via the Segway?  Or, on the grass next to the Trails on horseback?  Or, what's wrong with their own bicycles?  And when has there been an "emergency" or criminal act on the Trails themselves over the past months or years?  Furthermore, I sometimes ride my bike on the Trails to commute to downtown from southwest Fort Worth and I start out at 4:00 a.m.  Am I going to be stopped by police for my identification or questioning at 4:00 a.m. because they think I'm going to assault someone? 

#19 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:03 PM

I don't like the idea, either... Or, on the grass next to the Trails on horseback?  Or, what's wrong with their own bicycles?...

The already do both of these.

#20 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

The city council meeting is Tuesday, Dec. 13th evening at 7pm if you wish to comment publicly on the matter.

Here is a link to the comment card for that agenda item: http://apps.fortwort...t.aspx?id=21863

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#21 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

These are dirt bikes and they are going to wreak havoc on the surfaces surrounding the trail if the officers ride on the grass, especially following rains.

#22 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:46 AM

I didn't attend Tuesday's city council meeting so I don't know what became of TRWD's donation of motorcycles to FWPD, but it was probably an uneventful agenda item.  I probably over-reacted to the significance of it.  I don't believe the police are really interested in intensive patrolling of the Trails (i.e., the additional motorcycles will probably be used for their regular street patrols, with one result being more traffic tickets).

Fort Worth's website, below, does have an update on Trails development, including construction plans for a new pedestrian bridge to parallel the Forest Park mini train bridge.

http://fortworthtexa...l-improvements/

• JBB likes this

#23 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

a new pedestrian bridge to parallel the Forest Park mini train bridge.

http://fortworthtexa...l-improvements/

That's been in the works for a while.  I hope they also connect the trail on that side of the river from the new bridge to the Tilley bridge (the writeup sounds like it will).  For anyone who's ever crossed the mini train bridge on a bicycle at night after a few adult beverages (not that I would admit to that  ;) ), this is a welcome development.

• JBB likes this

#24 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:10 AM

I don't believe the police are really interested in intensive patrolling of the Trails (i.e., the additional motorcycles will probably be used for their regular street patrols, with one result being more traffic tickets).

I would be shocked if they used dirt bikes to patrol city streets.

That's been in the works for a while.

I remember first hearing about it in 2000 or 2001.

I hope they also connect the trail on that side of the river from the new bridge to the Tilley bridge (the writeup sounds like it will).

I believe that's what the "Mistletoe Heights Connection" is on the map in johnfwd's link.

For anyone who's ever crossed the mini train bridge on a bicycle at night after a few adult beverages (not that I would admit to that  ;) )

Doohickie: Forum Daredevil

#25 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:45 AM

I admit nothing.

#26 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

That's some pretty admirable determination to avoid going up to University to cross the river.

#27 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:40 AM

Determination is probably not the proper term for the motivation.  Lubrication is probably more like it.  :rolleyes:

#28 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:46 AM

Flood Control and Water Supply. 

:rolleyes:

• JBB likes this

#29 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:06 AM

BBQ and beer has made its way into that mission, so dirt bikes seem to be the next step.

#30 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

You're a cynical bunch.

#31 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:16 PM

I hope the next step is a jet ski ramp into the Trinity. Seems like a good way to get around.

#32 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

I hope the next step is a jet ski ramp into the Trinity. Seems like a good way to get around.

There is a crazy boat ramp over near Smoke Pit and Riverside park. Inaccessible now due to construction. But I saw folks putting jet skis and ski boats in the river at that point.

#33 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

Well I'll be damned. Dreams do come true.

#34 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:48 AM

An update by city on the status of projects to connect FW and Dallas via bike trails. I had no idea there was a plan to reuse the recently replaced 1st St. bridge for the bike trail.

http://www.star-tele...e126216879.html

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

The conversion of the East 1st Street bridge to a pedestrian/bike trail has been in the master plan for as long as I can remember.  I believe the convincing of the city to make the conversion was influence by both Historic Fort Worth and the Fort Worth Bicycling Association.

#36 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

The "cycle track" on 10th will begin construction later this month.

z4qqXhi.jpg

http://www.dfwi.org/...-and-bike-lanes

#37 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

Where's the elevator?  I thought they'd put in a bicycle elevator.

#38 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

All kidding aside, I'm not much of a fan of cycle tracks, but this is a good location for one.  It aligns the bicycle traffic with the trail entrance at the bottom, and will provide some measure of protection for bicycles slowly climbing up.  I know a lot of cyclists feel particularly vulnerable when they're slowly climbing a hill.  My biggest concern is cars turning right onto Forest Park; I hope they put a flashing sign or something near the bottom alerting right turning cars that there is a bicycle crossing there.

#39 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:43 AM

I wish the city would construct a bicycle/pedestrian bridge over Forest Park Boulevard at this location.  That steep downhill really speeds up the bike, only to have to come to a complete stop at Forest Park.  On a hot day I like to keep moving.

#40 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

Not practical; there's very little space between the river and Forest Park in that area.  Long runouts would be needed for a bridge.

#41 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:13 AM

Isn't the 7th St. bridge a reasonable alternative to a pedestrian bridge over Forest Park?

#42 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

Isn't the 7th St. bridge a reasonable alternative to a pedestrian bridge over Forest Park?

Maybe.  It all depends where you're starting and where you're trying to end up.  If you're on foot or on a bicycle, you can see how having to use an alternate bridge (Such as 7th or Lancaster) could result in a long walk and a significant climb.  Just like a city will have several entries and exits for motor traffic, it makes sense to do the same for foot and cycle traffic.  Also remember that there are times when the pedestrian and cycle routes are disrupted (most notably during Mayfest).

#43 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

These hot afternoons get me thinking about water and mist.  The other afternoon while walking along the Trails on the west side I wished for another misting station and drinking water fountain, maybe at the Clearfork Main Street bridge.

#44 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

They need a misting station/fountain at the top of that cycle track. 

#45 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:25 PM

The closed sections of the Trinity Trails in Gateway and Riverside parks are set to reopen soon. http://fortworthtexa...il-Connections/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users