John T Roberts's Content

There have been 599 items by John T Roberts (Search limited from 04-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#146555 XTO Energy moving 1,600 employees to The Woodlands, selling six of seven buil...

Posted by John T Roberts on 16 June 2023 - 01:42 PM in Commercial

Your post was very well done. Thanks for the links back to this site.

#147871 Xander Apartments, 2500 Ridgmar

Posted by John T Roberts on 29 August 2023 - 10:51 AM in Residential

The apartments were built in 1964 in Ridgmar, which was developed by Marvin Leonard (Leonard's Department Store). The Master Plan for the development called for two 23 story apartment buildings to be built further to the north.  These never materialized. 

#147870 Xander Apartments, 2500 Ridgmar

Posted by John T Roberts on 29 August 2023 - 10:32 AM in Residential

This tells you how old the complex is, but when I was a kid, it was the luxury apartment complex on the West Side.  The original name was Ridgmar Square Behind the Wall.

#148167 Will Rogers Coliseum and Memorial Center

Posted by John T Roberts on 17 September 2023 - 05:54 PM in Historic Photographs

I have always thought that the Auditorium was underused.  This is good news.

#146266 Who lives in that house?

Posted by John T Roberts on 31 May 2023 - 09:01 PM in Local History

A developer bought the property when the house was still standing.  They had plans to subdivide those two lots.  I don't know if the zoo ever tried to buy the land. 

#148454 Westside/Camp Bowie/Arlington Heights Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 03 October 2023 - 10:35 AM in Urban Design and Planning

"City-led" nominations are not the norm.  According to the City's Preservation Ordinance, only the property owner (typical nominator for HC project), the City Council, the City Manager, and the Landmarks Commission can nominate a property for designation.  No matter who actually nominates a property for designation, it still must go through the proper procedure to be designated.  That procedure is to fill out the Historic Designation Application, have the case reviewed and approved by the Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission, have the case approved by the Zoning Commission, and finally to have the case approved by the City Council.

In recent years, there have been very few cases for landmark designation that were initiated by the city.  An overwhelming majority are submitted by the property owner or their agent.  I believe the Stockyards Historic District was the last case that was initiated by the city. That was done by the Mayor, who is a part of City Council, under pressure from the citizens of the city.  

I hope I have explained this enough for everyone to understand.  When I type responses from work, I usually don't have much time to go over them.

#150880 Westside/Camp Bowie/Arlington Heights Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 22 February 2024 - 01:29 PM in Urban Design and Planning

It looks like they are moving into White Settlement.  Their current location is on Camp Bowie West, just east of Loop 820.

#150329 Westside/Camp Bowie/Arlington Heights Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 18 January 2024 - 09:53 PM in Urban Design and Planning

By 5:15 this afternoon, it was completely gone.

#148450 Westside/Camp Bowie/Arlington Heights Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 03 October 2023 - 08:12 AM in Urban Design and Planning

The Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission holds public hearings on all of their cases.  It appears that there are several of you who are opposed to the designation of the Vickery Motel.  If you wish to voice your opinion, I would encourage you to sign up to speak and attend the HCLC Meeting on October 9.  As you know, I am for designation of all of our historic structures.  However, this motel is not the most beautiful, but it did play a part in our city's history.  Even though I support the designation, I can see why some of you are not in favor of it. 

#147159 Westside/Camp Bowie/Arlington Heights Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 10 July 2023 - 07:37 AM in Urban Design and Planning

It wasn't on my radar.

#147674 West Bend, Formerly River Plaza

Posted by John T Roberts on 12 August 2023 - 07:58 PM in Commercial

That's good to know.  I have been avoiding University Drive due to the construction.

#148948 West Bend, Formerly River Plaza

Posted by John T Roberts on 31 October 2023 - 03:50 PM in Commercial

I'm pretty sure that my friends who live in the neighborhood will not like this.  One of my friends is a pure NIMBY.

#151805 West Bend, Formerly River Plaza

Posted by John T Roberts on 11 April 2024 - 12:51 PM in Commercial

Since the TDLR application is broadscoping and limited in blank space to fill in, I would guess that ground floor retail is the same as the shell retail space.  I interpret the word "core" to mean the building's core with elevators, stairs, and the typical elements found within the core portions of a multi-story building.

#148991 West Bend, Formerly River Plaza

Posted by John T Roberts on 01 November 2023 - 10:08 PM in Commercial

There's been a bit of discussion since my last post.  The neighborhoods to which I was referring were the ones across the river.  If you are active as I am in the area, you will find that Mistletoe Heights and Berkeley residents do a quite a bit of protesting about activity on University Drive.  I also know that University West and University Place are also quite active neighborhood associations, but I'm not going to credit any opposition to things on University Drive to those neighborhoods. 

As for not placing retail in Westbend South, I would have to do a zoning and other regulation search to see if they could built it without that component. 

Nitixope, as for the retail component that is in West Bend, I have eaten at Silver Fox several times for special occasions.  The place that I have stopped the most often while on bicycle is HG Sply Co.  Their food is pretty good.  I have also eaten there a few times for lunch when not on bicycle.  One other time, I did go to the Van Leeuwen Ice Cream Shop.

#151621 West Bend, Formerly River Plaza

Posted by John T Roberts on 02 April 2024 - 07:52 AM in Commercial

Yes, it is that site.

#149500 West Bend, Formerly River Plaza

Posted by John T Roberts on 03 December 2023 - 07:32 PM in Commercial

It closed some time back.  I remember going down University Drive and not seeing the sign.

#146357 West 7th Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 June 2023 - 01:46 PM in Commercial

I had heard of it, but I've never eaten there.  I believe the original location is in Austin, and they have another one in Dallas.

#149252 West 7th Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 18 November 2023 - 10:36 AM in Commercial

It may be that Salsa Limon survives because their first location was in that same spot before the apartment building was built.  Historic Fort Worth was involved in saving the little diner they were inside.  It was moved to the River District on White Settlement Road.  They stated that they would return to the new building, and it may be that they had enough of a following that they can stay in business.  Also, they are always pretty speedy on making the orders. 

#148182 West 7th Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 18 September 2023 - 10:37 AM in Commercial

Not only a patchwork of parking, but also of concrete slabs where the buildings once stood. 

#147121 West 7th Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 07 July 2023 - 09:45 PM in Commercial

I remember when it was an automobile dealership.  It looks like it was several different ones when I was younger.

#150934 Website Building Descriptions and Updates

Posted by John T Roberts on 26 February 2024 - 08:53 AM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

Thank you, Roverone.  Since I stayed off of it yesterday, it is much better this morning.  I can actually walk with not much pain.

#150912 Website Building Descriptions and Updates

Posted by John T Roberts on 24 February 2024 - 08:12 PM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

I think all of the Northside building descriptions have been updated to the new website format.

I also have found out the overall height in feet for the Mallick Tower.  The building is 140 feet tall.  That information has been added to the Fort Worth's Tallest Buildings Page.  With that, the Mallick Tower has been positioned to the correct location within the table. 

I also looked at some of the old Sanborn Maps, and I found that the old Swift Meatpacking Plant's tallest structure was 9 stories and 110 feet.  I haven't added it to the list, but I should, since I have other buildings demolished in the 1970s on the list. (They were a lot taller.)

#150926 Website Building Descriptions and Updates

Posted by John T Roberts on 25 February 2024 - 10:35 PM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

I had grand plans for the weekend, trying to enjoy this nice weather, but they were derailed.  On Thursday, a friend invited me out to eat lunch on Saturday because she was working in Fort Worth that afternoon.  We had talked about 3 Parrots and she had mentioned that she passed on US 377 many times, but had never eaten there.  So, I suggested that we grab a quick bite.  She invited another mutual friend and the three of us had lunch.  Some of the discussion was about Russell Feed's big new building diagonally across the highway.  We then decided to go over there to check it out.  We didn't buy anything, but I also mentioned that I was going over to Premier Nursery (formerly The Plant Shed) to check out what they had to sell.  I decided not to buy any flowers, since my winter plantings were still doing well, and I never buy spring flowers until after the average date of the last freeze.  Anyway, I bought a couple of perennial pots to plant and afterwards I did that.  My plans for Sunday afternoon were to get out and take some photographs.  To make a long story short, I did something to my knee and after I did the yard work, I took it easy and watched a little TV.  At some point, I got up and my left kneed nearly gave out on me.  Then it was terribly painful to walk from that point.  I applied some medication to the knee and then tried some other remedies.  When I woke up this morning, the stability of the knee and the pain were still there, so I knew I couldn't get out to walk anywhere.  So, I stayed home and didn't do any photography.  I did take it easy today, and the knee is a little better.  My walk is better, and there is a little less pain.  That's how my weekend was derailed, but I did enjoy my outing with friends on Saturday.

#149196 Website Building Descriptions and Updates

Posted by John T Roberts on 14 November 2023 - 09:18 PM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

I have made a few minor updates to the website.  The name of Crockett Row at West 7th has been changed to Artisan Circle based on their announcement today.  I have added three buildings to the Tallest Building List.  They are Green B. Trimble Technical High School at 84 feet, The Center for Transforming Lives at 76 feet, and Water Gardens Place at 70 feet.

#150702 Website Building Descriptions and Updates

Posted by John T Roberts on 13 February 2024 - 09:11 AM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

I have been slowly converting all of the Northside pages to the new format.  I only have one description left to go, and that is the old Swift Plant.