25 replies to this topic

#1 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

Construction has been ongoing at the southwest corner of Sycamore School and Crowley Roads for a little while. Last week a sign went up indicating that it is the new site of WinCo Foods. I never heard of them, so I looked them up. Their website says they have locations in Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah & Washington. (No mention of Texas stores yet.) Their Wiki entry says "WinCo Foods is an employee-owned supermarket business headquartered in Boise, Idaho... As of 2012, WinCo operates 86 stores in seven Western states and employs more than 14,200 people."

I think Fort Worth is typically considered a saturated market for grocery stores. Just a mile to the west on McCart, there is a Wal-Mart SuperCenter, an Aldi and an Albertson's. However, Winco will be the closest store to the entire community between the train tracks that run west of Crowley Road and I-35W, so at least in this case, I can see where they might make it. Or will it be just another Food Lion that will attempt to expand into this area before imploding? Will WinCo be able to carve out a niche in this market?

My blog: Doohickie

#2 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

Construction has been ongoing at the southwest corner of Sycamore School and Crowley Roads for a little while. Last week a sign went up indicating that it is the new site of WinCo Foods. I never heard of them, so I looked them up. Their website says they have locations in Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah & Washington. (No mention of Texas stores yet.) Their Wiki entry says "WinCo Foods is an employee-owned supermarket business headquartered in Boise, Idaho... As of 2012, WinCo operates 86 stores in seven Western states and employs more than 14,200 people."

I think Fort Worth is typically considered a saturated market for grocery stores. Just a mile to the west on McCart, there is a Wal-Mart SuperCenter, an Aldi and an Albertson's. However, Winco will be the closest store to the entire community between the train tracks that run west of Crowley Road and I-35W, so at least in this case, I can see where they might make it. Or will it be just another Food Lion that will attempt to expand into this area before imploding? Will WinCo be able to carve out a niche in this market?

We need SOMETHING on that corner. Sycamore and Crowley is basically a gateway intersection for this part of town. 

A grocery store...? I guess I could go with it. If the prices are low, they'll be fine, especially with how crowded Walmart is. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

I have also heard that a Taco Casa is going in at that location.

#4 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

I have also heard that a Taco Casa is going in at that location.

I didn't. 

I don't know about that one...

7fwPZnE.png

#5 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

My mother, who is on a fixed retirement income, shops at the WinCo on 102nd St. in Portland, OR. Compared to the nearby Fred Myers (which is upscale like a Tom Thumb Superstore) prices at WinCo are 25-50% lower putting them in the same price league as a nearby Walmart Supercenter. Although the discount grocery has few frills, the selection is great, customer service is decent (no long check out lines) and grocery prices about the best in Portland. Their parking lot is always full. For some reason, they remind me of the departed-from-Texas Winn-Dixie stores and the similarity is more than just their name. I think residents around the Crowley Rd.-I-35 area will be pleased having another shopping option. But the retail grocery market locally is saturated at all levels (from discount to upscale) so it will be interesting to see how they fare in this crowded market.

#6 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

Aldi drove Sack & Save out. Will WinCo drive Aldi out?

#7 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

Think we're just going to have to wait and see.

Prices and offerings are all starting to look very, very similar around DFW. I have a Thom Thumb so close I can walk to it and its prices are exactly what the nearest Walmart charges.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#8 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Doubt it. 

Who knows? May just balance things out...

7fwPZnE.png

#9 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

No - not at all.  WinCo is like a poor man's version of Costco.  WinCo will do just fine: click here and here.

I am intrigued why HEB made a sudden u-turn with that Rosedale development not too long ago.  With all due respect, ALDI is the most, if not, the powerful grocer that relish competing with the big guns like Walmart and HEB even in the same area (intersection).  After opening its first store in Texas, ALDI now has 80+ stores in three-year span.

in DFW area - 45+ ALDI to 2 HEB stores (Burleson and Granbury) since 2010.

#10 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

Aldi is inconvenient (bags, carts, cash...).  I was not impressed at all when I tried them after opening.  I rarely see many cars in the lot when I drive by one.  I'm surprised they are making money.

#11 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

...WinCo is like a poor man's version of Costco.

Sam's Club?

I don't go to those places, but is Costco fancy?

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

I would call Costco slightly more upscale than Sam's, but that's probably a stretch.  I prefer it Sam's because they have good deals on some store brand items that we like to buy in bulk: diapers, laundry detergent, kitchen trash bags, etc.

#13 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

sorry - I wasn't being biased towards one or another, it is an esoteric reference in name only - winco and costco, get it?

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Here's a link to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram article on the WinCo Foods opening at Sycamore School and Crowley Road intersection.

http://www.star-tele...-prices-to.html

#15 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:53 AM

WinCo is open.  People in the area (including me) received a mailing for a free 12-pack of Dr. Pepper and a free bag of Lays potato chips, just to entice people to come into the store.  I cashed in my coupon tonight.

As someone said upthread, they are like a Costco... kind of.  They are a straight-up supermarket, but their displays are like a warehouse store like Costco.  WinCo doesn't require a membership though. And they are open 24 hours.  The store is BIG.  Big like a Costco or a WalMart (although they don't have any more general merchandise than a supermarket would).  They have all the major name brands, plus they seem to have appropriated some lesser brands (such as Shasta for sodas) as their house brands (or in some cases they cheap alternative carries the WinCo name).  So their format/business model is a little different than other offerings.  They are grocery shopping on an industrial scale.  I took a few pics.

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

#16 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Like old Sac-n-save only bigger?

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

Actually.... yes.

#18 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

I'm only around the corner. 

Probably swing by tomorrow.

7fwPZnE.png

#19 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:23 AM

I attempted to do some shopping there on Sunday. The parking lot was packed enough that I decided against it. I guess it's safe to say their grand opening has been successful. We'll see how they're doing in 6 months, and whether it affects the grocery stores over on McCart.

#20 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:15 AM

I actually like it. 

It's like Walmart, only... more likable. 

7fwPZnE.png

#21 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

I think I would like any place over Walmart.  I still don't like the Urban Village destroying Neighborhood Market at Berry and Hemphill.

#22 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

My mom went last Friday when FW schools were out and she said it was a madhouse. She liked it a lot too.

I agree that it looks a lot like Sack-n-save. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that pic above.

#23 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

I think I would like any place over Walmart.  I still don't like the Urban Village destroying Neighborhood Market at Berry and Hemphill.

Totally agree and (not to derail back into that who debacle), I really place a lot of the blame on the local engineers hired by Walmart who (instead of pushing Walmart to comply with the existing code or to support them in finding a way to reconfigure the building in a way that would meet everyone's needs) basically seemed to give Walmart (accurate) advice on how to play chicken with the City and get their way without having to do more than make a few minor cosmetic changes. I think that is what irritated me about the situation more than anything else. Walmart is going to try to fit any given site (and if necessary, neighborhood) to meet their model for what works for them. It would be great if the local engineering team had given their client professional advice on how to engineer the building and site rather than how to engineer local politics.

• JBB likes this

#24 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

There are lots of reasons to dislike Wal-Mart but if the way Wal-Mart didn't do the urban village thing on Berry, WinCo didn't even try.  They are straight urban sprawl strip mall style.

#25 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

You are right, WinCo didn't even try because they didn't have to try.  Their zoning calls for urban sprawl strip mall design. 

#26 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

I did some shopping at WinCo yesterday. Still crowded but not as bad as the previous week. They have some loss leaders to attract attention (milk at $1.97 a gallon, big box of Frosted Flakes for $2.68, about half the normal price), but even those items that are not marked down are about 25-30% lower than Albertson's or Sprouts. They have a very large bulk food section, bigger than the one at Sprouts and significantly less expensive.

You can tell they are saving money on the physical plant. The interior of the walls is exposed unfinished cinder block, the floor is unfinished concrete. The signage inside isn't fancy. For a grocery store, the scale of the place is mind boggling. It will take a few trips to be able to efficiently navigate the place.

I suspect their prices are aggressively low for the Grand Opening and will come up some over time, but right now, boy are they low.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Far South FW, New Grocery, Shopping Centers, Big Box Stores

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users