• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

Sometimes I look at architectural blogs and magazines and think about how great it must be to live in Dubai and be an architecture fan. I mean some of the most exciting things in contemporary architecture are happening there. From absurd skyscrapers to amazing starchitects' buildings, there seems to be something to be said for bottomless pockets. Look at the most recent engineering marvel proposed:

here are the stats:

Designed by the firm Fxfowle International from NY
It spans 1.7 kilometers (1 mile)
It will be 205 meters (672 ft) tall
Support 12 lanes of traffic
Will be the worlds largest Arch bridge

here are some more views:

#2 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:27 PM

oh and cost:

a mere $817 million. Pocket change.

#3 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

True, projects similar to those are also in Saudi Arabia. That is where Billions construction project awards are rounded off to the nearest Millions. AND then they decide which currency.

Watch the money flow. Yes labor, material and equipment are costs to a project.. but they also represent INCOME to nations around the world that are willing to work in that region.

Wonder how much of that foreign trade money [or oil] is flowing back to the US Economy.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#4 whitetino

whitetino

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

Hard to believe Just a couple decades ago Dubai was 3 houses and a cactus...

#5 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:47 AM

Not sure about Dubai, but I know that Jeddah, Riyadh, Dhahran and Bahrain were desert cities and and international airports 2 decades ago [1971 - 1989]

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#6 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:25 PM

I wish they would send some of those big projects to Funkytown.

#7 76107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:46 PM

They're tryin' to CJ. They want to build a huge lake, remember? And from what I understand, our liberry-free junior college will be the envy of the world when it finally looms large over the tamed Trinity. In the meantime, you can still lease a whole lotta the Radio Shack headquarters if you want to imagine yourself in some sort of Futuristic Playground of the Future™. Me, I'm just gonna watch Logan's Run over and over and hope they don't dig a gas well under my house.

#8 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (76107 @ Feb 14 2008, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They're tryin' to CJ. They want to build a huge lake, remember? And from what I understand, our liberry-free junior college will be the envy of the world when it finally looms large over the tamed Trinity. In the meantime, you can still lease a whole lotta the Radio Shack headquarters if you want to imagine yourself in some sort of Futuristic Playground of the Future™. Me, I'm just gonna watch Logan's Run over and over and hope they don't dig a gas well under my house.

I'm talking about building the world's greatest university or the world's tallest office tower. ninja.gif

I already have a gas well under my far northside home. dry.gif

#9 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:50 PM

The Hydropolis - Under water hotel

Burj Dubai

Burj Al Alam

Emirates Tower I & II

Jumeirah Beach Hotel

Rose Tower

Looks like they have a way to go before they catch up with Funky Town...

They plan to have 6 super towers by 2015

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users