Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:16 AM

Zetna, that is the house.

#52 qmcgown

qmcgown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:08 PM

The Cobb-Burney House at 1598 Sunset Terrace is likely the first Prairie Style residence built in Fort Worth. At this point, it's the earliest documented example. I spoke with the listing agent the other day who said he'd welcome any help in getting the word out about the property. So far, it has been marketed for the commercial dirt value, with little attention paid to the wide variety of uses that could work there. I think that is more a result of the agent's inexperience with historic and residential properties than any willful disregard for the wider potential.

The house, named West Cliff, was built for Lyman and Emma Cobb. Cobb was one of the brothers behind the Cobb Brick Company and Glen Garden Country Club, and he and his wife developed Sunset Terrace in its first phase starting in 1905. The research notes for the State marker include a reference that the house may have been built or adapted from plans published in an early sourcebook of the Prairie style. The house was owned later by Judge and Mrs. Ivey Burney and preservation architect Milton Mosely before being acquired as part of a gift of property for the All-Church Home. The house also served for a time as the home for the Goodrich Center for the Deaf. Its last residential use was as the home for a former All-Churtch Home director and his family. It served as an office space for various ACH affiliated programs until vacated in anticupation of the move to the former Masonic Home and School property.

The house needs more attention than it is currently getting. I think Historic Fort Worth would be welcomed as a helping hand, given the fact that neither the agent nor the owner are aware of the incentives available for adaptive reuse of the house and property. They are both new to working with historic structures. Whether or not the house returns to residential use or finds new life as a neighborhood compatible commercial facility, nothing can happen without wider exposure. Loss of this house would be a very sad one, indeed.

#53 jnewhart

jnewhart

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Preservation of historic architecture

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

Quentin -

Do you have any contact information for the listing agent so that we at Historic Fort Worth can get in touch him?

Thanks!

Justin

#54 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

A tower crane went up today.

#55 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:16 PM

I was going to post the same information when I got home.  Thanks for the update. 

#56 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

C3MaklbUMAUvg8V.jpg

#57 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:57 PM

This one is starting to peak over the trees and other buildings.  I'm curious to see what the finished product looks like from the west.

#58 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:34 PM

JBB... I noticed the other night that it will have a decent impact on adding some height to Sunset terrace adding a decent impact. I think it will look better at night.

#59 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

This project is starting to be quite visible from the east as well.  Looking west from the intersection of S. Main and Vickery, for instance, the garage really looms large over I-30.

#60 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

The elevator overruns appear to be the tallest part of the buildings, but only barely. When the entire structure is up it will really be quite large.

#61 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:00 AM

This is starting to wrap up. It's a bit obscured by trees so I have'nt taken many photos. Here are some new renderings. I love the little turret area, should be a wonderful view.

VeH56cu.png

#62 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:52 AM

Wow.  Yes I like the turret as well and that whole Western side.  I wonder if it is going to traverse down the bluff to give the residents and better connection to the new extension of the Trinity Trails currently under construction.  I'm also interested to see what effect this complex will have on Harold Park if any.  I worked nearby it in the early 90's and would walk to it to eat lunch on nice days.

Funny that they are almost wrapping up and we finally get some detailed renderings.  I find it strange that this building and 5th & Broadstone have only used the basic rendering since they were announced.

#63 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:36 PM

Websites up with floorplans, but no prices...https://alexansummit.com

#64 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:59 PM

Stopped by just now, beautiful building. Huge too. Surrounded by trees or parkspace on 3 sides. I really like the sidewalks, lined with brick. This is a great development. Reminds me of college dorms or something, in a good way. 

DhdrQyNU8AAyjY0.jpg

DhdrSKTV4AAR2kr.jpg

#65 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:22 PM

I don't know.  It still looks like a large apartment block.  Back in April, when Historic Fort Worth had the tour of Jim Zadeh's Law Office (the Cobb-Burney House), a lot of people on the tour did not like the apartments.  Several were appreciative of the developer saving the Annie Richardson Bass Library, with the hopes of putting that building to good use.  Everyone on the tour loved the restoration that Jim Zadeh made on the historic home.  It made a great conversion into a law office.  If you look at these observations on the apartments, you have to consider the source. 

#66 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 06:55 PM

I really like the lights that this building has outlining the roof. They are very bright and festive and easy to see from 30.

#67 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 24 December 2022 - 09:43 PM

I really like the lights that this building has outlining the roof. They are very bright and festive and easy to see from 30.

I'll need to pay closer attention next time, but going from my mind's eye, is this the building with vertical natural-colored lights?  There's one on that side of town that usually catches my eye as I drive through on I-30.  I noticed Burnett Lofts has green and red linear LED lights along their soffit tonight.

#68 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 10:24 PM

I believe the building to which you are referring with the vertical natural colored lights is the River Tower of Trinity Terrace.  The building that Austin is referring is what originally was called the Alexan Summit Apartments.  It is now called The Drake.  This building has blueish LED following along the parapet of the building.

I was Downtown tonight, and I came in on Hemphill, so I didn't get a good look at the Burnett Lofts.  I was planning to drive around after my Christmas Eve Party, but I decided it was too cold and I headed home down South Main.

#69 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 25 December 2022 - 11:59 PM

I think that was the Drake lights I saw from the freeway, linear LEDs? I drove through tonight and Burnett Lofts had more traditional lighting from what I could tell.

#70 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 06:02 AM

The Drake has linear LEDs and two signs.  One is on the east side of the building and the other is on the west.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users