233 replies to this topic

#101 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:00 AM

I thought the ST article was good. It seems to me that most people discuss the candidates in the order in which they appear on the ballot, so it was nice to see Anthony mix it up a little.

As for influencing any writers articles, I would say it is mind over matter.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#102 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE(JBB @ Oct 30 2007, 10:47 PM) View Post

There's only so much room in the paper. The vast majority in District 9 couldn't care less about this race, much less the S-T's readers.

Plenty of room on the website?

I would certainly hope that the vast majority in this Distr. 9 does care about the election. Otherwise that could reflect on the influence (or lack thereof) journalism has as a whole in these parts.

Mix it up a little???

ABC order is best, no mix ups and no wonderin why certain candidates are placed where. Can't change them ABC's.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#103 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Oct 31 2007, 11:59 AM) View Post

I would certainly hope that the vast majority in this Distr. 9 does care about the election.

Hope all you want, but I'm sure the turnout next Saturday will show that the vast majority don't care enough to show up.

#104 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:25 AM

The election is next Tuesday, not Saturday. There are also several other races plus the FWISD Bond on the same ballot. There will probably be more people going to the polls because of the number of other items on the ballot. We may see a higher voter turnout for the council election because of this.

#105 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:41 AM

I didn't realize it was Tuesday. My bad. Even with the busier ballot, I don't think a majority of voters will show up. In a city council race, I would guess that anything north of 10% would be huge.

#106 Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:47 AM

I don't actually live in Fort Worth, so I don't get a vote.
(I'm quite happy in Benbrook with its close proximity to FW)

That said, I do hope there is a good voter turnout, regardless who voters may wish to elect.
Voter apathy is at a terrible state in this country...
... we need more genuine, ready to assist, electable canidates.
... and yes, more who understand voting is a right, a duty, and a privilege.

Yes I'm a cyclist, but no that's not my reason for wishing those voting check Bernie.
Bernie is the most genuine person I've ever encountered seeking public office.
There's no financial gain to be made, there's no seeking of power, there's no vanity...
... it seems to me we've a candidate who genuinely loves his community & wishes to serve.

More candidates like this might help our democratic process.
Good luck to all the candidates, oh, and go out there and vote!

Jim

#107 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:21 PM

WORD!
www.iheartfw.com

#108 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:09 AM

Gay Fort Worth candidate alleges gay-baiting

By John Wright Staff Writer
Nov 1, 2007, 19:14

Opposing candidate managed gay Dallas mayoral candidate’s run that was target of anti-gay calls

One of gay Fort Worth council candidate Joel Burns’ opponents, Chris Turner, was praised by sitting Councilman Chuck Silcox because he is a straight Republican. Turner’s camp denied involvement in strategy.

FORT WORTH — A candidate vying to become Tarrant County’s first openly gay elected official is under attack for his sexual orientation.

Joel Burns is one of six people in a nonpartisan race for the District 9 seat on the Fort Worth City Council. The election is Nov. 6, and there likely will be a runoff between the top two vote-getters Dec. 8.

Read the Rest of the Story Here

#109 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:14 AM

Rangel calls for Burns to drop out
By MIKE LEE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH -- It takes a spreadsheet to keep track of the race to replace Wendy Davis on the Fort Worth City Council: six candidates, a flap over a telephone survey, a Web address dust-up, unusual input from major political parties and now three calls for candidates to withdraw.

On Thursday, Juan Rangel called on fellow candidate Joel Burns to quit the race, two days after one of Burns' supporters videotaped Rangel during an appearance at an elementary school.

Rangel, a Fort Worth school trustee, said he canceled two appearances Thursday.

"I'm afraid I'm being watched," Rangel said.

The Burns supporter, Randy Dukes, has said he was trying to catch Rangel campaigning for himself on school property, which is illegal. Besides volunteering for Burns' campaign, Dukes contributed $100 to it, according to a Burns campaign finance report.

Read the Rest of the Story

My opinion:

Based on his comments at one of the forum meetings, I think Rangel has been using his position on the school board to advance his council campaign. It seems to me that people in elected offices should resign their current position in order to run for something else (and that goes for trustees, senators, mayors, etc.) like Wendy Davis did. No appearance or acts of impropriety in that way.

I suppose we knew going into this race it was going to be political when 2 of the candidates have ties to political consultanting groups of both the D and the R.

AndyN

#110 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Nov 3 2007, 02:14 AM) View Post

It seems to me that people in elected offices should resign their current position in order to run for something else (and that goes for trustees, senators, mayors, etc.) like Wendy Davis did. No appearance or acts of impropriety in that way.

I'm sympathetic with your concern, but I think that a requirement like that would lead to many problems. For example, if a senator resigns to run for governor, then there has to be a special election or an appointment, controlled by the governor. Politicians for better or worse are ambitious and often seek a different office -- always resigning their current position could create a chaos of special elections (when even fewer voters turn out), unfilled seats, and the like.

I am no admirer of Rangel, but I agree with him about this incident. Joel Burns' repeated lapses in judgment tell me that if he gets on the council we'll be in for quite a few unpleasant surprises.

We're newcomers to Fort Worth, and find ourselves frequently shaking our head at local politics.

#111 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:22 AM

I’ll have to say this whole election has been entertaining if nothing else, when I glanced over the other items on the ballot, bit of a reality check.

A recent ST article referenced the $600 million bond fund in bold below, but quoted here “The Fort Worth school district’s $593.6 million bond package to pay for new schools, campus renovations and technology upgrades.” To sum it up, redacted: "the recent drop in school tax from 1.65% to 1.04% has created a window of opportunity to push a bond package through, which would eventually result in a school tax increase to push the rate back up, to 1.37%"

Constitutional amendments
More information on voting is available at www.tarrantcounty.com/eVote or by calling 817-831-VOTE (8683).

Here’s a rundown of all 16 propositions on the Nov. 6 ballot:

Proposition 1: Allowing the state to continue providing funding to Angelo State University in San Angelo, which is being transferred from the University of Texas System to the Texas Tech University System.

Proposition 2: Authorizing the issuance of up to $500 million in general obligation bonds to finance low-interest educational loans to students.

Proposition 3: Limiting the increase in appraised taxable value of a home to 10 percent of the appraised value of the home in the previous year.
I thought already applied if you were homestead, after reading through the tax jargon, seems they can raise it above 10% in certain instances but it's up to the homeowner to contest the rate increase. Not totally positive if that's the case.

Proposition 4: Authorizing the state to issue up to $1 billion in bonds to pay for “maintenance, improvement, repair and construction projects and the purchase of needed equipment.”

Proposition 5: Allowing cities with fewer than 10,000 residents to hold an election to temporarily freeze property taxes for five years on properties considered in or next to areas targeted for state redevelopment funding.
Who would this benefit?

Proposition 6: Allowing a property tax exemption for a personal vehicle used for business activities.
Sounds great for small businesses, but I wonder how many BMWs will be on that list?

Proposition 7: Allowing landowners to buy back property taken by the government through eminent domain — but not used — at the same price they were paid.

Proposition 8: Revising constitutional provisions on home equity loans.

Proposition 9: Exempting veterans classified as “totally disabled” from ad valorem property taxes on their homes.
Why has this not been done before and why does it not cover more, how much does a person have to sacrifice? I can honestly say, I have never met a military person that wasn’t damn proud to be a Texan and more than willing to let everyone know it, of all states, I’d like to believe that Texas would spare no cost, would spare no effort to reciprocate that sentiment.

Proposition 10: Deleting constitutional references to the inspector of hides and animals (an office that has been virtually nonexistent in recent years).

Proposition 11: Requiring that Texas legislators’ final votes on most legislation be recorded — rather than a voice vote — and be available on the Internet in a reasonable time frame.
Accountability, what a novel idea.

Proposition 12: Authorizing the Texas Transportation Commission to issue up to $5 billion in general obligation bonds to provide funding for highway improvement projects.
Considering we'll all be in stop and go traffic 7 X 24 within the next decade, is this too little too late?

Proposition 13: Giving judges the power to deny bail, even if already granted, to a person charged with a felony or family violence related crime.

Proposition 14: Allowing judges who reach the mandatory retirement age of 75 to finish their terms.
Okay, but it's still possible to have never taken an actual driving test if you're that age, think about it.

Proposition 15: Creating the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas and authorizing up to $3 billion in bonds to fund cancer research.
Sounds good, we have a doctor glut and a nurse shortage, but you can never have too many oncologists.

Also on the ballot

The Fort Worth school district’s $593.6 million bond package to pay for new schools, campus renovations and technology upgrades.

A proposal by Arlington City Council to fund a crime control and prevention district with an eighth of a cent sales tax increase.

A seven-way race to take over the Texas House seat representing District 97 which covers southwest Tarrant County. The seat was held by Anna Mowery before she resigned in August.

A six-way race to replace Wendy Davis on the Fort Worth City Council representing District 9 which covers downtown and a swath of the central city.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#112 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(David Love @ Nov 3 2007, 11:22 AM) View Post

Proposition 9: Exempting veterans classified as “totally disabled” from ad valorem property taxes on their homes.
Why has this not been done before and why does it not cover more, how much does a person have to sacrifice?

Perhaps we could raise the amount of exemption/freeze they already receive, but it would be foolish to completely exempt them from property taxes. I know one disabled veteran, for example, who owns a $1.5 million house, why shouldn't he pay his fair share of taxes? This would save him over $25,000/yr.

Once you start treating one group differently, you create a precedent for other groups. Teachers? Police officers? Fire fighters? and so on and so forth. No other group is completely exempt from property taxes.

I am also concerned that they will use the VA definition of 'disabled', not Soc Sec. The VA is much more lenient than SS.

I'm a vet (Vietnam) and unfortunately know other vets who have taken advantage of the system. Several have been able to wrangle 100% disability from the VA for claiming PTSD decades after their active service.

#113 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:20 AM

Proposition 5: Allowing cities with fewer than 10,000 residents to hold an election to temporarily freeze property taxes for five years on properties considered in or next to areas targeted for state redevelopment funding.
Who would this benefit?

Probably a few people along the proposed route of the governor's legacy project.

#114 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(UncaMikey @ Nov 3 2007, 11:01 AM) View Post

Why has this not been done before and why does it not cover more, how much does a person have to sacrifice?

Perhaps we could raise the amount of exemption/freeze they already receive, but it would be foolish to completely exempt them from property taxes. I know one disabled veteran, for example, who owns a $1.5 million house, why shouldn't he pay his fair share of taxes? This would save him over $25,000/yr.

Once you start treating one group differently, you create a precedent for other groups. Teachers? Police officers? Fire fighters? and so on and so forth. No other group is completely exempt from property taxes.

I am also concerned that they will use the VA definition of 'disabled', not Soc Sec. The VA is much more lenient than SS.

I'm a vet (Vietnam) and unfortunately know other vets who have taken advantage of the system. Several have been able to wrangle 100% disability from the VA for claiming PTSD decades after their active service.

I agree.

I've never known a taxing entity to let an affluent tax payer get away with much, there are always base exemptions, not sure of the exact legal terms, but I'd expect this would apply to the general, low to middle income masses, such as "apply to homes less than $150,000.00 or exempt only $150,000.00 of the total value; or if you or your business / corporate entity earned more than a certain amount - no exemption."

During Desert Storm I, most guys I knew would change their home state to Texas simply due to the way the state treats its veterans, so as most states go, Texas does stand out or stand up when it comes to the honorable thing to do.

I believe the addition of this amendment is due to two factors, the media coverage of the existing conflict and the rash of foreclosures and delinquent tax auctions. The problem is, conflicts end and people forget, tax laws don't seem to do either.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#115 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(UncaMikey @ Nov 3 2007, 06:39 AM) View Post

I'm sympathetic with your concern, but I think that a requirement like that would lead to many problems. For example, if a senator resigns to run for governor, then there has to be a special election or an appointment, controlled by the governor. Politicians for better or worse are ambitious and often seek a different office -- always resigning their current position could create a chaos of special elections (when even fewer voters turn out), unfilled seats, and the like.

I am no admirer of Rangel, but I agree with him about this incident. Joel Burns' repeated lapses in judgment tell me that if he gets on the council we'll be in for quite a few unpleasant surprises.

We're newcomers to Fort Worth, and find ourselves frequently shaking our head at local politics.

Local politics seem a little mild here to me compared to what I've seen in some places, so it doesn't seem bad to me. If anything it is just becoming more active since Fort Worth politics seem to have always been "go along to get along". It is good to see some independent candidates challange the entrenched interests that seem centered along the length of 7th Street.

As for the resign to run theory, I thought about the problems that it would cause when I was posting last night and I do see where it might be a little problematic. But when you see someone doing something in one office to position himself for the other office, you wonder if the best interests of the public are being served. We have four uniform election days in Texas: the third Saturday in January, the first Saturday in May, the second Saturday in August and the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. It seems to me that a special election would not be too far off from any given resignation and interim appointments can fill the void. Heck, Wendy Davis resigned to run for Senate, I don't see why the school board trustees should do any less.

#116 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:45 PM

Is there an election coming up or something? (/sarcasm off) smile.gif

Rangel 'Trees' flier sparks controversy
By MIKE LEE
Star-Telegram staff writer

FORT WORTH -- City Council candidate Juan Rangel is trying to snatch the Trinity Trees.

Rangel, one of six candidates running to replace Wendy Davis in District 9, sent a mailer that says, "Cast your vote to protect the Trinity Trees," referring to the 8-acre site along the Trinity River hike-and-bike trail that was the site of protests against gas drilling. It was sent to many of the 1,200 people who signed a petition trying to preserve the site.

Actually, the Trinity Trees petition organizers haven't endorsed anyone, said Jim Marshall, one of the group's founders. And he's a little miffed that Rangel got hold of the petition drive's mailing list.

"Trinity Trees is an organization of people who agreed on that one issue -- we did not endorse any candidate for District 9," said Jim Marshall, who helped organize the petition drive.

Link to Full Article

Trees Discussion on Caravan of Dreams Blog

#117 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:18 PM

Dude. What a horse race this has become. IPB Image

#118 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:57 PM

A cool story on the Caravan of Dreams Blog.

#119 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:50 PM

EXCELLENT story and the images are so true. You cannot pin BERNIE to one particular party, interest or attitude in this race. He wants what YOU want, and HE CAN DO IT.

GENIUS idea! I must say I am in envy that I didn't come up with that one. Usually my forte.

Well, I am not going to count them chickens just yet. Two days can make a difference here, and if anything it has been quite a pleasant experience to get out there to see and hear the DIFFERENCE all kinds of people see him making in their lives.

You have a voice on so many matters people, so on Tuesday get out there and BE HEARD!

WOW! Ice cream truck for the weekend. GENIUS!

Wonder if he can ride that into DTFW and offer some FREE ICE CREAM to the good hard working people over there.
www.iheartfw.com

#120 Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

Bernie hands out ice cream and real thoughts about why he wants to serve his neighbors...
... what a great difference.

Normal last weekend political happenings often include...
... plenty of bull and a lot of sound bites.

Way to shake it up Bernie!
A refreshing change to the status quo.

#121 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

Beyond that, it's GENIUS!

Salesmen do this all the time at Fairs when they are trying to push a product. You HAVE to get the kiddos interested and involved, then other kids see that Johnny has a FREE popsicle or ice cream with an American flag on it, or he has some unique Indian feather giveaway, JUST SOMETHING. So NOW Mom and Dad have to bring Kevin and Lisa over to the booth where they are doing giveaways. Then you sell IT to Mom and then she sells it to Dad and then ALL IS WELL.

Someone was a GREAT BUSINESS MENTOR to him at one point. Obviously. smile.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#122 S. Ray DeRusse

S. Ray DeRusse

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE(Bernd @ Aug 9 2007, 11:40 PM) View Post

Anybody catch the news tonight? Just three months into her term, Wendy Davis has already resigned her city council seat. Nice.

Hi.

Did anyone else receieve mail this weekend from Sergio L. De Leon? I received a letter in official looking stationary from the Constable requesting that we vote for Juan Rangel. They apparently got a hold of the District Voter list and may be sending out these requests. The letter has Tarrant County with a logo and seal prominently displayed on the page top and center. It also says not printed or mailed at taxpayer expense at the bottom of the solicitation. I thought I had an unpaid ticket or something.

In other District 9 related news. In August this year a prominent Republican Consultiing Firm who has a stake in the Kay Granger Trinity Project set about trying to recruit another minority for this race.

I have no evidence of this, but knowing the players I assume a peripheral purpose for this was, Ms. Granger's project was being threatened in the appropriations process by Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson and they were looking for a minority in Council to help them push the project. They needed a plant (reliable Republican) to make it appear that minorities are backing this project. They offered to manage, coordinate and pay for her entire campaign. She declined the offer.

Oh what a wicked web we weave when we first seek to deceive. JS.

SRD
www.bccmeteorites.com

#123 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:27 PM

EXACTLY!

This District 9 race has NOTHING to do with RACE!

This campaign should have EVERYTHING to do with EQUAL REPRESENTATION within DISTRICT LINES and absolutely nothing to do with race. It's people like BERNIE who put their hat in the race to DEFINE the possibilities of just how better our District can become.

He's a transplant from the Houston area that has CHOSEN to study and live in Fort Worth.
He's a family man.
He's a small business owner.
He's a young man who can help the voters distinguish the politicians from the Public Servants.
And he can make a difference in the DISTRICT 9 by moving us forward, not bringing back ideals that are so obsolete for a reason.
www.iheartfw.com

#124 Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

There were once servants of the people.
Those who worked on city councils and local commissions just to serve.

Local government was handled locally.
Local representatives were your neighbors.

Those seeking to serve, went door to door.
They asked politely for your vote to allow them to serve.

Well, that's what our grandparents told us anyhow.

Would you count any of those currently in FW City Council as your neighbor?
Did any of them ask you personally for your vote?

How about those currently seeking office?
How many of those currently seeking District #9's seat?

I suggest there's one!
Perhaps a certain youngman, a local small buisness owner...
... a neighbor who still knows the way its supposed to be.
Vote Bernie!

Jim Wilson

#125 Kyle Carr

Kyle Carr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

Recently, at one of the Trinity Trees meetings, while wearing one of the "Vote for Bernie"
tags on a lanyard, I was approached by one of Bernie's opponents. This gentleman seemed
nice enough. Said a kind obligatory word about Bernie and then told me (not an exact quote,
but close) "... I have more money than (Bernie) does. It takes time and money to win an
election and I have the time and the money."

Wow! This man is much older than Bernie and grew up with the generations spoken of in this
thread where politicians went door to door; where those running for office actually had the
desire to serve.

I no longer live in District 9, nor in Fort Worth, so I will not be able to cast my vote for any of
the District 9 candidates. Many nice things have been said about Bernie. In the two years that
I have know him I believe them all to be true. To cast a vote for anyone other than Bernie is
a mistake, in my opinion.

For anyone who wants to make this race a racial issue - remember this - Bernie is a man for
all colors, all religions, all belief systems - all people. This is not a paid political announcement.
This is a message from someone who knows that Bernie is the man for the job.

Best wishes, Bernie!

Kyle

#126 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:10 PM

WBAP is reporting that someone has passed out flyers in a couple of neighborhoods reminding people to vote on Saturday! (The election, of course, is tomorrow, Tuesday, November 6th. It had Tarrant County logos on it and was printed in Spanish and English. I am curious what neighborhoods they were passed out in. That is just dirty politics, I don’t care who you are. Before any plays the race card and suggests it is someone out to get Juan, it could just as easily be a Rangel supporter trying to muck up a little sympathy. Whoever is doing this is a (edit) bad person. That is wrong (delete).

#127 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:38 PM

Channel 33 just stopped by and talked about the flyer with me.

It was only distributed in Rosemount and Worth Heights, so it was certainly aimed at keeping the lower-income turnout low.

I simply cannot believe how dirty this city council race has become.
The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#128 angie013

angie013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

Can someone tell me what news channel will have the election coverage tomorrow? I am interested in the results information. I am traveling to Houston and won't be local, so I was hoping to catch it online via one of the news stations. I will be voting for Bernie tomorrow morning before I leave. smile.gif

#129 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:16 PM

Election officials alarmed by bogus flier

By AMAN BATHEJA
abatheja@star-telegram.com

A bogus election flier that gives the wrong day for Election Day has raised alarm bells among local county officials.

Featuring the county logo and the County Elections Office "Tarrant Votes" logo, the flier urges voters in English and Spanish to vote on Saturday, Nov. 10, but Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 6. The flier specifically mentions the state's constitutional amendments and the Fort Worth City Council District 9 race.

Read the rest of the Story at The Star Telegram

Angie:

THIS WEBSITE will have unofficial results beginning at 7:00pm tomorrow. The first thing they will post will be the early returns.

I have made arrangements to go vote at 7:00am tomorrow too, since I will be working in Waxahachie tomorrow.

Election Results PDF Here

#130 angie013

angie013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Nov 5 2007, 04:16 PM) View Post

Election officials alarmed by bogus flier

By AMAN BATHEJA
abatheja@star-telegram.com

A bogus election flier that gives the wrong day for Election Day has raised alarm bells among local county officials.

Featuring the county logo and the County Elections Office "Tarrant Votes" logo, the flier urges voters in English and Spanish to vote on Saturday, Nov. 10, but Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 6. The flier specifically mentions the state's constitutional amendments and the Fort Worth City Council District 9 race.

Read the rest of the Story at The Star Telegram

Angie

THIS WEBSITE will have unofficial results beginning at 7:00pm tomorrow. The first thing they will post will be the early returns.

I have made arrangements to go vote at 7:00am tomorrow to, since I will be working in Waxahachie tomorrow.

Thanks! Go Bernie!

#131 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:33 PM

Much RESPECTS to BERNIE and the BERNIE CAMP. Go get em and TEACH all those "Joe's" in this race that with a steadfast, honest, sincere and kind approach to the issues and ideas from every voter out there, the best man will win.

Break a leg Champ.

City politics could use a good changing come tomorrow.

BTW, F WST's "editorial" endorsement for Burns.

How could they endorse somebody who didn't SACK UP and run FOR THE PEOPLE the last time around? Must have been busy cuttin "deals". How shady??? ph34r.gif

And I want my Vote for BERNIE yard sign BACK! (EDIT) the (EDIT) TOOL who done stole it from my yard.
www.iheartfw.com

#132 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

Allright, everyone stay calm. I apologize for throwing some cartoonish language into my post. I was a little animated at the time, but I sure didn't mean to start a trend. smile.gif

#133 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

Wow! Fakin' out the voters... who could do such a thing in Fort Worth?

I dunno... maybe someone who would steal a person's on-line name by setting up a fake website? Or would be out filming another candidate? But, there's an entirely different candidate who has people on the street with a "we don't need another Mexican on the Council" message.

I can come up with two possible culprits off the top of my head. Unfortunately, even if the investigators figure it out and there is a trial for vote fraud, it's after the election.

#134 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:06 PM

Forgot to mention... Love Bernie. However I was still compelled to send the following to folks around the district:

<begin email>
As many of you know, I considered running for the District 9 council seat. And sometimes I think I really missed out on some fun. But the campaign has been entertaining to watch as well. Here is my take on our District 9 election, for what it's worth.

First, I am impressed with the quality of our candidates. One is running on a lark, but at least he hasn't taken up our time at forums or anything. One filed but changed her mind too late to have her name removed from the ballot.

But on to the real contenders.

For starters we have a renaissance man who is offering to work full time in the part time position. He supports the big construction projects ahead and could bring his experience to bear. Rumor has it he was recruited by people from District 7 after quite a search. I know one person who turned them down first. But District 7 already has a representative on council; they don't need another. Beyond that, although he is retired, his service to the city has been, well, next to nothing. With all that time on his hands the retiree has not served on one commission or committee or board for the city of Fort Worth. Yet now he is ready to make policy, full time, about a lot more than construction projects? It seems funny to say someone his age needs more experience...

Then there is the only person who cared enough to challenge Wendy the last time around. A really fine young man with great potential, his campaigns are marked by integrity and a sense of fun. Even when another candidate stole his name for a web site, there was no malice returned. But he is building a business known for its quality and great customer service. Will he let it languish to cover all the bases of District 9? I wouldn't. And, like the oldest man in the race, this fellow has yet to pay his dues through city volunteer work. He can still engage and build the kind of public service resume that will attract voters in the future. I hope he does it; I really like him and the perspectives he has brought forward.

And speaking of likable, the straight Republican guy (SRG) is one of my favorite people, except when he lets himself be defined by a partisan from another district. (What is it about these other districts wanting to run District 9?) His failure to distance himself from bigotry makes anyone who is not a young straight white Republican male wonder if the SRG will represent their interests. I'm sorry, that really disappointed me. I know the SRG is really a better person than that. Further, like some others in the race, he hasn't been in voluntary city service. He was a paid assistant to a council member (from yet another district!) ten years ago. Again: why should someone be making policy when they've never been in the trenches for District 9?

But then there is the young, not straight, not Republican candidate who has done actual work for us before asking to lead the city. He has served Fort Worth and District 9 to make things better; he has paid some dues. The gentleman comes from modest beginnings and has made something of himself. I like that, and I like him. Further, you don't get to be the chairman of a board if you don't work and play well with others. Some of his campaign tactics have been a bit rough, but city hall can be too. So, why not vote for him?

Only because there is someone far better prepared to step into the job.

We are fortunate to have Juan Rangel willing to rejoin city governance after seven years on the school board. Mr. Rangel has a Masters in Public Administration (like an MBA for government operations) and he has served on the City of Fort Worth's Planning Commission. When he volunteered and was elected Trustee for the FWISD he found himself deep in a very broken school system. It took time, but he is one of those who guided the district through purging the corruption and into rebuilding. The people who served through those times were heroic in keeping the system operating (and improving) while dealing with all the turmoil. And Juan was in the thick of things. What a great preparation to help guide Fort Worth with our unprecedented growth and inadequate planning and infrastructure. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is corruption. But there are huge challenges ahead. While we sort out years of fiscal mismanagement that has city retirees terribly underfunded and while we try to figure out how to manage simultaneous exploding growth and consuming rot in different parts of our city, we need huge public policy experience. We can have it with Juan Rangel, by far the most qualified candidate, but only if he gets enough votes.
<end email>

Most have probably voted early, but there it is... my take. We'll probably have a runoff so there will be a whole new perspective over the weeks ahead. My congrats to everyone who has taken the time and interest to get involved.

#135 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:18 PM

So does a person that plays by the rules, doesn’t run on or for special interests, have a chance against all this under handed, back room dealings?

#136 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:22 AM

Sure there is always a chance, and with that chance some folks take it for granted and others build on it. It's about bringing issues to the forefront of a soon to be newly elected local government. These Men and Women really do NOTHING special when it comes to city council works (SERIOUSLY), almost UNINSPIRING, but there is one candidate who wants to change ALL THAT. One who doesn't cut deals with other politicians or special interest, one who will not make promises that can't be kept, one that will truly inspire those who seem to have been so disinterested or discouraged to both run for office or even vote in the past and one who IF ELECTED will stay in office and not cuta nd run to another "opportunity". This one candidate HAS SHOWN so many that DISTRICT 9 IS THE OPPORTUNITY OF A LIFETIME, nothing less and nothing more.

This campaign is so interesting and deep that I HOPE it brings out 20% more voters since the last election. That truly is what ONE CANDIDATE hopes for, and that would be a SOLID BEGINNING to build on. Eliminating voter apathy as much as possible and GET FOLKS REGISTERED! This one candidate has the ability to make others from out of district feel as if they are part of District 9, and he hadn't put one lick of city time on the clock. AMAZING! Some others have and are still to this day DISRESPECTED with past dealings, yet those exact candidates will be more than happy to tell YOU (the voter) that they are "responsible" for this or for that. Gimme a break here. It's time for a changin of the guard approach and that is the ONLY WAY we keep our local government in check for the future.

You want fiscal responsibility in check and transparent? You know who to vote for.
You want to take back our city parks and trails for our future? You know who to vote for.
You want to lean on corporate welfare at the local level? You know who to vote for.
You want the local small business OWNER represented well in the future of our city? You know who to vote for.
You want to PRESERVE the history and backbone of this great city, that so many before us worked so long and hard to build right? Then you know who to VOTE for.

City hall can be ROUGH? WT! This ain't Chicago!

And if it makes a difference, being a local small business owner counts as city service in my book. Especially if your business has EARNED the publics trust and interest over time.

When it comes to someone having a chance in earning peoples votes by doing the RIGHT THING, I pray that SOMEONE does.

Because votes ultimately reflect THE PEOPLE.

(MAJOR EDIT).
www.iheartfw.com

#137 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:09 AM

I know who put out the flyers! JBB did it! He just got confused over which Saturday! tongue.gif
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#138 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:55 AM

*shakes fist*

DAMN YOU!

#139 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

Polling locations didn't seem to be very busy today. I'll recheck them Saturday morning - the lines could be a little longer.

#140 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:09 PM

Wow. I just checked the results page and it is currently showing a six-way tie.

Cumulative Results Page

smile.gif

Also, here is a fresh link to the Tarrant County Elections webpage

#141 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the link. Yea, I guess it's a little early but it will be interesting to watch tonight after the closing.

#142 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Nov 6 2007, 05:09 PM) View Post

Thanks for the link -- do you have to download a PDF file every time you want to check results???? My download folder is going to get a workout tonight...

#143 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:50 PM

Very, very early on, it's looking like a Rangel-Burns runoff with Burns having a pretty hefty lead.

As for turnout, the first four precincts reporting after early voters averaged a little over 15 voters per precinct.

#144 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:22 PM

Congratulations, Bernie, for running a clean campaign. I have a feeling this could be an ugly runoff.

#145 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:04 AM

Well, the realities of politics are a little stark. Cheers to Bernie for an honest and innovative compaign. One can only hope for a future opportunity for Mr. Scheffler to prove his worth as an elected official.

I suppose based on my experiences at the forums I went to, I'll be throwing my full support to Mr. Burns. To each his own, though.

#146 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:06 AM

Congrats Bernie on a fine run.
NEW DAY,NEW DANCE, NEW SONG and another chance to make an impression. Lots to be PROUD of and plenty to look forward to in the coming year or so. wink.gif

Two campaigns in 6 months??? Get your rest buddie. You're gonna need it.

First and foremost, myself and many other fellow FWForumers would like to THANK YOU for being YOU. And TY for bringing REAL issues that matter to ALL District 9'ers to the table. THANKS.
www.iheartfw.com

#147 Kyle Carr

Kyle Carr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:26 AM

Hey Bernie,

It's interesting how things work out. Win or lose, you have had a positive, lasting effect on many
people throughout your district and beyond. Thank you for showing us that there are still honest,
respectable people out there who are willing to give of themselves without expectation.

We need you to remain active in local politics. You have a voice that can still be heard.

Thanks and congratulations,
Kyle

#148 Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:26 AM

Its pretty simple really:
Many of us are quite happy to say,
“I know a friend/neighbor/small-buisness-owner who ran a great campaign.”

I feel much more comfortable with that than,
“I don’t know much about the winner,
a savy politician- he spent a large amount of money and closely guarded his positions.”

Thanks for being an example Bernie.
You didn’t win- but you did have an important impact.
There are topics on the table, and make no mistake, they’re there because you raised them.

#149 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:33 AM

Bernie, will you make an endorsement for the runoff race?

#150 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(Prairie Pup @ Nov 7 2007, 11:33 AM) View Post

Bernie, will you make an endorsement for the runoff race?

Give him time. No offense to anyone, but I hear he is quite the commodity for that these days.
www.iheartfw.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users